Sick as a Dog

Sick as a Dog - Mark

A chime called from your phone, you slightly groaned as you rolled over under your duvet, your hand searched your side table blindly until your fingers found your phone. Wrapping your hand around your phone, you retracted your hand back to your body as your thumb pressed the button on the bottom center of your phone, bringing it to life. Notifications listed across your lock screen, your eyes peeked out from under your eye lids.

Slowly, your eyes scanned over your notifications letting them process in your brain that was slowly waking. Using your thumb to scroll your notifications upwards, you noticed a new text as you unlocked your phone and tapped your messaging app. The newest message was on top as you tapped your thumb across the screen as you rolled to your back letting out a sigh.

Good morning cutie! Do you have any plans for the day? - Mark

Rereading the message a few times, you smiled and let the butterflies swirl around your stomach. Right when you positioned your thumbs on your phone to reply to Mark’s message a wet tongue made contact with your warm skin. A little white fluff ball filled your vision as you let your phone fall from your hands, your phone tumbled to the duvet below as your hands captured either side of the white fluff ball and pulled the wet tongue away from your face.

“Good morning Kiki” You cooed, holding your puppy over your head, your little pup yelped happy as she started to any exposed skin she could. Placing her down on your chest, she snuggled down into your neck as you picked up your dropped phone.

“Do you have any plans for the day?” You whispered the last part of his text to yourself as you read over his text once more. A cough built up in the back of your throat as you hung over the bed and coughed out your lungs a few times before groaning at the pain in your chest.

Knowing that you were sick all yesterday, you reread his text message wishing that you could go and be with Mark today, you thought it would be best to decline today so you could go and have fun tomorrow or the day after.

My plans include sleeping and trying to get over being sick…. do you have any plans for the day?

Hitting the send button, you made it official as you watched the message send. Rolling onto your back, Kiki romped and played on the comforter, barking at her own shadow that she cast on the duvet from the morning sunlight. Taking a video of Kiki playing with her shadow, you watched as a new message rolled over your screen. Ending the video as she came and attacked you with kisses, you turned your attention to the new message that just arrived.

You’re sick?!?!?! How long have you been sick? Why didn’t you tell me?! - Mark

Not long after you were halfway done with reading his previous message.

Do I need to come and take care of you? - Mark

Your heart began to flutter from the second message that he sent. You two had been on one or two dates and friends for six months or so yet the connection between the two of you was like any other relationship you have had.

I can manage by myself, beside Kiki is taking care of me :)

You sent that message to him so he wouldn’t worry as much about you. Closing your eyes, you let the sun slowly warm up your room as you began to get too hot under the covers. Pulling out one of your legs, you stuck it out from under the covers and laid it on top of your soft duvet. Rolling over to your other side, you closed your eyes as you slowly started to fall asleep once again.

What seemed to you like a few minutes, the doorbell rung loudly. Kiki your face before she jumped down off of your bed and ran to the door barking defensively. Rubbing your eyes, you pushed yourself upright on the bed as you waited there a moment so the world would stop spinning.

“Kiki” You called as she yelped a couple more times before trotting back to the bedroom. She sat in your doorway whining that someone was at the door. Waiting for a moment or two, you wanted to see if they would leave or it they would ring the doorbell again.

A solid couple of knocks came from your front door causing Kiki to run off again, sounding her alarm of the house. Figuring that you should go see who was at the door, you slipped out of bed slowly, your back and legs aching as you slipped on a hoodie over your tank top, the hem of the hoodie hung loosely over your plaid pajama pants as you slowly made your way to the door. Pulling your hair into a ponytail, you tied it off and yawned before coughing into your shoulder.

Twisting a couple of locks on the front door, you finally opened the door to see a familiar face on the other side of the door.

“Good morning ________” Mark greeted with a smile

“W-What are you doing here Mark?” You questioned, opening the door a little wider for him none the less.

“You said you were sick, and you live alone, I thought you could use someone to come and take care of you” Mark stepped inside, his eyes not wavering from you as you closed the door behind him.

“Thank you but Kiki is taking care of me” You told him, your eyes dropping down to your little white puppy that was sniffling the scents off of Mark’s shoes.

“I see~” Mark’s eyes dropped down to her, “It looks like you are being taken care of then. I can see myself out then…”

He opened the door, as you felt bad for turning him away, however you knew that you weren’t to the point in your relationship with him for him to be taking care of you just yet.

“I don’t know what I will do with the homemade chicken noodle soup I made for you” He sighed, the sound of soup and homemade soup at that, caught your attention.

“D-Did you make me s-s-soup?” You questioned, your hand stopping the door from closing.

“Isn’t that how you get better?” Mark giggled, his eyes sparkled in the morning light as a small smile curled on your lips.

“Come in, you can stay as long as you like” You invited him in as you closed and locked the door behind him. Kiki resumed her investigation of Mark as Mark headed inside after you.

“Make yourself at home… sorry I didn’t have time to clean up” You bit your lip as you stepped into the kitchen pouring yourself a cool cup of water as your eyes wondered around your one bedroom apartment.

“Don’t worry, you must have been sick for a few days” Mark reasoned as you nodded, sipping your water. He placed a bag on the counter top as he started to pull out Tupperware containers full of soup and other meals for you.

“D-Did you make all of these?” You questioned as he stacked them in the fridge to preserve them so you can eat them whenever you felt like it.

“My mom made them, but I helped.” Mark blushed a little slipping the last few containers into the fridge.

“I’ll have to thank your mom then” You mumbled against the lip of your glass.

“Just get better, that is the best thank you that we can receive.” His brown eyes turn to you as he smiled gently. His eyes slowly moved over your complexion, not liking how the color was draining from your cheeks, watching you bear more and more weight on the door, you tried to keep yourself upright as your head started to spin slowly.

“Let’s get you comfy in bed and I will bring you some food and medicine, hrmmm?” He hummed, his hand gently resting on your upper arm as you finished off your glass of water before nodding.

Taking your time, you slowly made your way back to your bedroom, feeling your knees get a little weak, your knees gave away a few times but Mark gripped your arms, bringing you up to your feet before he wrapped his arm around your waist. Making it to your bed, he pulled away the covers as he made sure that you eased yourself into bed. Slipping your legs under the sheets, you laid back and let out a sigh, your eyes closed instinctively.

The soft covers slowly covered your body, Mark pulled the covers up to your shoulders as he eased himself down onto the edge of your bed. Noticing that your head was turned in an awkward position, he slipped his hand behind your head, lifting it up gently before adjusting the pillows and then easing your head back on the covers.

“Is that better?” He questioned, pulling his hand away while letting his fingertips brush against your exposed skin.

“Much better” You hummed softly, your eyes flickering open as he brushed the backs of his fingers and his thumb over your cheek.

“Shall I get you some medicine and let you sleep a little?” Mark whispered

“That sounds like a good idea to me” You mumbled, your eyes slowly falling closed, heavy with sleep.

“I’ll be right back” He whispered, his touch leaving your lips as you heard his footsteps travel over your carpeted bedroom and into the kitchen. Kiki’s little paws followed him as you took in a deep breath and turned over on your side, finding the spot that was just perfect.

Mark returned a few minutes later, a few colored pills in his hands as a glass of water occupied his other hand. Returning to your side of the bed, he sat on the edge of the bed, placing the water cup down on your side table. Lifting his hand up, he carefully rested it on your shoulder and shook it gently, your eyes opened for a second before closing as a hum slipped from your lips.

“Take your medicine and then you can sleep” He whispered as you nodded, opening your eyes, you slipped the pills between your lips and took a few sips of water before you laid back down and resumed your position.

“That’s a good girl” Mark whispered, pulling the covers up on you as he turned down the blinds and made sure that no light was shining in your eyes. Spinning around, he took one last look at you sleeping as he smiled feeling his heart soften and warm at the sight of you.

“Mark” You cooed as he began to pad across the floor.

“Yes?” He stopped in his tracks and looked over at your sleeping figure.

“Please play with Kiki, you can take her on a walk if you want” You whispered, the medicine slowly taking affect as the sleep aid influenced you slowly.

“I will, you just get better and sleep” Mark walked to the door, watching your shoulders move up and down with every breath, he pulled the door closed mostly, leaving it open slightly.

Mark made his way into the kitchen, starting on the dishes, he some music and played it at a low volume as he began to wash and dry the dishes for you. Guessing where to put them back, he tried to think like you and cleaned up the kitchen.

“Shall we play something?” Mark questioned as Kiki yelped happily and ran around his legs. Walking into the living room, he sat cross legged on the floor and grabbed a ball, rolling it away from himself, she grabbed the ball in and brought it back to him.

“Such a good girl” He smiled as he petted her before challenging her with the game of fetch.

Grabbing her rope toy, she grabbed one end as he grabbed the other end. Laying on his stomach, he took his end into his mouth as Kiki took her end into as well. Happily she started to pull against him as he challenged her.
Pulling with all of her might, she happily ripped the toy out of his mouth as she ran around the room with the toy dragging on the toy while taking her victory lap.

Mark laughed as he started to pick up her toys slowly as he folded a few blankets and made the place a little more cleaned up and tidy for you, not wanting to have another thing added onto your list.

A couple of coughs came from your room as rustling of the sheets followed. Mark’s head turned as his eyes got a little wide wondering if you were okay. Standing to his feet, he looked at the time, seeing that it was the early afternoon, he headed up a small bowl of soup that he brought over. Kiki whined and hummed as she picked up her food bowl in .

“Did you not get fed this morning?” He asked her, kneeling down, he poured her a scoop of her food into the bowl as she ate hungrily. The microwave sounded soon after, as Mark made a little tray of food for you, some juice, the soup and some bread.

Carrying the food tray into your bedroom, he pushed the door open with his hip to see you slightly awake and in a different position than before.

“You’re awake” He smiled as he carefully sat on the other side of your bed, placing the food tray on the top of your bed.

“Mhmmm” You hummed, your eyes opening a little more.

“Did you sleep okay? You slept for two hours or so” He added as you brushed some hair out of your eyes.

“I slept okay, my stomach woke me up though” You slowly sat up, leaning against the headboard trying not to get dizzy again.

“I brought you some food if you are ready for it” Mark carefully shifted the food tray onto your lap as you nodded. Slowly opening your eyes, you picked up a spoonful of soup and slipped it between your lips.

Eating spoonful after spoonful, you finished most of the soup as you began to feel a little better.

“I see you are enjoying it” Mark smiled, looking up from his phone as Kiki ran through the door and jumped on your bed.

“It is very good~” You cooed happily as Kiki jumped into Mark’s lap and snuggled into his side. “Looks like you made a new friend. Mark this is Kiki, Kiki this is Mark”

Kiki Mark’s hand after the introductions as Mark smiled and scratched behind her ear, causing her leg to thump against the sheets on the bed.

“Looks like you aren’t just a charmer to humans, but to dogs as well” You teased, moving the food off of your lap and easing yourself down under the sheets.

“I just got lucky is all” Mark giggled, moving your unfinished food over to the side table, he stayed on your bed, his white tank top loosely hanging over his form as he laid down and let Kiki walk all over him.

Your tired eyes slowly watched as she walked over him, he brought her back up to his chest as she tugged on his shirt a little before playing with his hair and then giving him kisses on his cheek, chin and lips.

Taking care of you between naps, he managed your fever and fed you and Kiki, keeping you both happy and healthy, the three of you laid on your bed. Kiki settling down on Mark’s chest for a nap as the sun slowly started to fade below the horizon. Turning on a lamp, he watched your sleeping figure with love filled eyes.

Lifting his fingers up carefully, he pushed some fallen hairs behind your ear as he slowly pressed a gentle kiss on your cheek and then your forehead. Laying a little closer to you, he felt your breath brush over his skin as Kik continued to sleep on him.

Feeling a warm body next to yours, you moved closer to the warmth as your head rested on his chest. Mark watched you move your head onto his chest before settling back down. His fingers began to play with your hair slowly.

“Why are you so adorable?” He whispered to himself. Mark wrapped his arm around you slowly, his other hand resting on Kiki as she continued to sleep. Mark turned his head until his lips were slightly tickled by the strands of your hair as he whispered, “You are going to make me fall in love, you know.”