Chapter 1

The Six Degrees of Living Together
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

      When Mina thought of a casual weekend, babysitting her neighbor’s son usually didn’t come to mind. Frankly, for her, that’s exactly what happened. It first happened right after she arrived at her minuscule apartment after a tiring day of seminars, lectures, and the like. Studying to be an ornithologist was hard, and the disapproval she got from her parents didn’t help either. Alongside the judging glares she received from her parents, who, in fact, weren’t spending a penny on her student loans, was that Mina had to pay for her education all by herself from now on. And it was hard. She truly wished she could just go back to her youth and stop nerdy, eight-year-old Mina from ever becoming obsessed with birds so she could save herself from her current predicament. From her perception, Mina saw nothing wrong with following her dreams, but her parents acerbic remarks and long envisionment of their youngest child becoming a doctor was far too tangible for her liking. They made it seem like she was the culprit when in reality, they were the ones who got her interested in birds in the first place.

     Now coming back to having to babysit her neighbor’s son, shortly after getting back to her sorry excuse of an apartment there was an abrupt knock on the door, curious as to who could possibly be wanting to see her at this ungodly hour. As she looked through the peephole she saw the woman who lived to the right of her apartment in a studio apartment that could comfortably house a family of seven. 

Multiple thoughts ate away at Mina’s conscience. She wondered if she could be coming to possibly complain about the music she was listening to while studying last night. Cautiously, she swung open the door to be face to face with the older woman.

“Mrs. Kim!” Mina tried to say as enthusiastically as possible, “What are you possibly doing here?”

“Uh,” The older woman started sheepishly adjusting the ermine coat she was wearing that probably costs more than everything in Mina’s apartment combined, 

“I would hate to bother you since you’re probably studying or something but I’m in desperate need of your assistance.”

This caused Mina to pause, looking up to Mrs. Kim, “She wants my assistance?! The broke college student next door’s help?! Are pigs going to start to fly?!” Mina started to mentally freak out. Mina's thoughts progressed, some varying from the average to the crazy thought of Mrs. Kim wanting her to do her dirty work. Mina knew that she was probably overthinking it when she pondered the fact that Mrs. Kim could've wanted her to hide a body or something equally as deranged. 

“It’s just one small favor please!” Mrs. Kim snapped her out of her reverie as she insisted with a pleading look in her eyes.

“Okay, what do you need me to do?” Mina finally asked.

“So what happened is that my mother in law has gotten terribly sick so my husband and I are flying to England tomorrow morning to see her for the next month or so and we need someone to take care of our son during our stay in London, he’s far too young to be left by himself” She clasped Mina’s hands in hers’. Mina thought about it for a second. 

Well Mina never have hated kids so she doesn’t see any problem with checking up on one throughout the next month,

“I don’t see a problem with that, so why not?”

“Oh thank you so much!” Mrs. Kim released Mina’s hands, “Now pack up your things so you can move in for the month!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter