2. Growing Affections

Re: Blindlessly In Love

Notes* It's 2 hours late but. ENJOY!

Words: 4369

It’s weird that his mother didn’t ask him much when he said he would be out this Saturday with a friend. Usually his mother would be ecstatic about him spending his time with his friends, but today, his mom was happy in a different demeanor. For the lack of words, his mom was a lot calmer than usual

On Saturday Baekhyun walk around the park with Chanyeol and they ate a lot of stuff like fried chicken, tteokbokki, some ham and cheese sandwich and a few sweet drinks here and there. They shared almost everything and Baekhyun wished he didn’t have to think about the word “date” but he couldn’t help but feel like he was in relationship.

Obviously, that was none sense because they just met two days ago and Chanyeol is probably just incredibly friendly.

Needless to say, the day ended on a good term. Chanyeol called him that night and ever since then, calling becomes a routine.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol meet up every week. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday, whenever Chanyeol have time. It’s rare, but sometimes, Chanyeol pick Baekhyun up from school and one time, Chanyeol invited Baekhyun over to his school, to attend a school festival.

Needless to say, Baekhyun met Chanyeol’s friends and they were teased throughout the day.

Once in a while Baekhyun would visit Chanyeol’s place. To Baekhyun’s knowledge, Chanyeol’s parents are always away for work so Chanyeol got himself a smaller place where he can enjoy by himself. But Chanyeol’s place is anything but small. It’s definitely not a mansion, but it still have a workout room and a swimming pool. So Baekhyun spend a lot of his time there if he isn’t home.

Once again, he does find it suspicious that his mother doesn’t bother him like how he hangs out with his other friends at school, but he pushed the thought aside, deeming he was just overthinking.

Three months went by and Baekhyun and Chanyeol are practically joint by the hip. They were inseparable, like two lovers freshly married.

It’s an underlining topic that both of them felt but never talked about. Partly why Baekhyun doesn’t say anything is because he was too afraid their friendship would go down south. He was just too afraid to confront the taller. What if Chanyeol was simply incredibly friendly? What if he was misunderstanding Chanyeol’s actions? What if Chanyeol just wants to be friend.

Rejection was one thing, but he didn’t want to lose Chanyeol. He didn’t want things to get awkward between them. After all, Chanyeol was his first friend.

Not to mention he was really self-conscious. He was blind afterall. Why would Chanyeol date someone blind. Sure, his family is quite well off, but Chanyeol’s family is to, so money is definitely not an issue. Baekhyun just can’t seem to think of a reason why Chanyeol defriend him and spent all of his time with him.

Chanyeol holds Baekhyun hands a lot more often recently, almost like it a normal thing to do. With Baekhyun being blind, Chanyeol helps Baekhyun a lot and sometimes, they touch each other, a little bit more intimidated than they should be.

Baekhyun blushes a lot at first while Chanyeol simply enjoys looking at Baekhyun being shy. It was really adorable whenever Baekhyun tries to hide his face. The two of them have been a lot more comfortable with each other to the point where it was okay for Chanyeol to piggyback Baekhyun down the street.

Chanyeol made Baekhyun feels a lot less self-conscious about his disabilities. He was able to go out more confidently and life was a lot more excited now that he opens to the world. Chanyeol brought colors into his life, not just red and pink but also orange, green, yellow, blue and so much more. Baekhyun just wish he can do something for Chanyeol. Even if it’s something small, he wish he could make it up to Chanyeol who made his life so much more meaningful, beautiful and thrilled.

“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun calls from Chanyeol’s bed as he listens to the other plays his guitar. Did he mention that the latter could also play the piano? Yes, Chanyeol is gifted when it comes to instruments.

“Yeah?”

“Is there anything you want to do? Maybe something----- out of the ordinary?” Baekhyun sits up as he hear Chanyeol putting away his guitar and walking over to him on the bed

“Well someone seems bored. What’s on your mind?” Chanyeol cubs Baekhyun’s face as he towers over Baekhyun.

“I don’t know. But I wanted you to do something you like too. Like going to the cinema or an amusement park. Aren’t you bored of staying at home with me all the time?”

“We go out too you know.”

“But to the mall and to restaurants? That doesn’t count.” Baekhyun pouts and Chanyeol laughs, sitting down next to Baekhyun where the latter immediately lays on Chanyeol’s thigh. It was one of the things that they turn into a norm. After that, Chanyeol would lace his finger through Baekhyun’s hair to make him relax and that too, is now very normal.

“If you’re feeling adventurous, what about the water park. I haven’t been there in a while. What about you?”

“I haven’t been there since I was 10 which was 7 years ago. Hmmm—I guess we can do that.”

“Are you sure?” Chanyeol touches the back of Baekhyun’s neck and he shudders.

“Yeah. You better make sure to hold me though. I’m not a very good swimmer.” Baekhyun points out as he closes his eyes and relax.

“Let’s go this Saturday then.”

“Sure.” Chanyeol smile fondly at Baekhyun who lays comfortably on his thigh. I would do anything to reserve this moment forever.

Chanyeol guesses he will have to double his security this Saturday. It’s going to be really crowded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun had a lot to worry that Saturday. His insecurities of being blind come crashing back at him like a sour pickle being thrown to his face. Then there were his insecurities for his body. Chanyeol was as fit a fitness model, while him? He was normal, maybe even plain. So him, who was very attracted to Chanyeol, was very self-conscious.

He’s definitely going to wear a shirt over!

Chanyeol picked him up that Saturday and they left at around 10 am. Baekhyun wasn’t a morning person, but Chanyeol didn’t want to spend the whole day so they went early. Baekhyun would wake up at 6 am if he gets to see Chanyeol early though.

In the change room, Baekhyun didn’t have the gut to face Chanyeol when he changed so he turned away and told Chanyeol to look elsewhere.

“Not that you have any flaws or anything or okay.” Chanyeol teased but he respectfully look away a changed as well. Even without Baekhyun noticing, Chanyeol could still look if he wants, but he knew that would mean he was lying and taking advantage of the boy so he couldn’t. He wish to see every part of Baekhyun, inside out but with their friendship on such good terms, Chanyeol didn’t want to risk it. Friends or lover, he would respect Baekhyun without fail.

“I’m ready.” Baekhyun announced but then he paused. “Uhm…..Is it okay i-if we h-hold h-h-h-hands today.”

Baekhyun looks elsewhere in blush pink and his lips trembles in embarrassment.

“I-I don’t want to use my cane in the park, so..” Baekhyun looks back at Chanyeol before downwards where his thumbs are playing with each other.

“You need something to hang onto.” Chanyeol deadpan, feelings extremely happy at the turn of event. They’ve hold hands before, but that’s nothing compare to what Baekhyun is offering now. Holding back’s adorable hands were always so brief. Almost like a breeze sliding through his hands gently. Right now, Baekhyun is asking him if they could hold hands—for minutes—for hours.

Hell, he was going to take advantage of that for sure.

“Any ways you want Baekhyun.” Chanyeol quickly put everything away in the locker, before taking in both of Baekhyun’s hands to let him choose which hands to hold.

Baekhyun decides on Chanyeol’s right hand, and just like that, they walk hand in hand into the water park.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun could feel that they are getting a lot of attention. One could simply mean they don’t see blind people go to the park that often, or two, Chanyeol was a walking piece of art.

It’s the one-time Baekhyun rather have people focus on his blindness, rather than Chanyeol, the god-like crush of his miserable life. Chanyeol is also not wearing a shirt, and its normal because who would when you’re a water park, but Baekhyun just wants to wrap the taller in blankets because Chanyeol is his. He found Chanyeol first.

HE IMAGINABLY “CLAIMS” CHANYEOL AS HIS OWN!

Chanyeol holds his hands and drags him along as they walk to the first station, the kid's swimming pool.

"There's a border here so step over it. Once you do, you'll be in the water."

"Is it deep?"

"No." And Chanyeol stepped in first before leading him in until both of his feet are in the water. "See? It's not deep at all. We're in the kid's section right now."

Ignoring the fact that he was treated like a kid, Baekhyun was happy to be in the water. The water was barely anywhere to his calf but it was a good start. He hasn’t been in a pool for so long, not to mention being blind make you more anxious about the depth, the height and everything surrounds you. His skin, his feet and hands are his eyes so they are extremely sensitive but his ears specifically heightens because that is just one of the side effect of being blind. Therefore, he cannot get them flooded with water. His head stay above water levels for sure.

Baekhyun gleefully smiles, kicking the water a little and bending down to touch the water. Chanyeol bends down as well and flashes some water to his face in which he did the same, with a rectangular smile that is only shown when he's truly happy. Baekhyun knows people look at them weirdly, but he didn't care because all he wanted was to have fun with Chanyeol. Chanyeol deserves all the fun and time to relax. After all everything Chanyeol had given him, he just wants to give something back, even if it is as small as this.

They move to a different section shortly after that because Baekhyun gained his confidence. On their way to the adult section, Baekhyun tightly grabbed onto Chanyeol's hand while they talk about all the fun games they can do at the water park.

 

Somehow their fingers are intertwined with each other and although Baekhyun doesn’t seem to notice, Chanyeol looks at it all the time. Sometimes, Chanyeol gets lost in his own thought, thinking about how handsome Baekhyun is, how his hands are so beautiful, how his eyelash flutter so angelically, how his dark hair looks so smooth under the sun and how it compliments Baekhyun’s fair skin and bring out the best of Baekhyun’s face.

Then Chanyeol thought about what he did, how he ruined Baekhyun’s life, how he doesn’t deserve Baekhyun’s affection and how fate is cruel since he couldn’t claim all of Baekhyun as his own.

He knew Baekhyun’s had affection for him but he wouldn’t dare to address it. He didn’t want to cross the line even thought he knew it would be so right if they could just hold each other and be in each other’s arms. Chanyeol could imagine their whole life ahead of them and even if Baekhyun is blind, that wouldn’t stop their love. Getting an implant was always an option even though Mrs. Byun said Baekhyun refuses that option no matter what.

If only he could be truthful with Baekhyun. If only he was brave enough to tell Baekhyun who he is and let Baekhyun decided the fate of their relationship, he wouldn’t be here, worrying about all of these things.

“We can try so slides if you want. The ones that are on floats because I can’t do any of the slides alone.” Baekhyun comments and Chanyeol snaps out of his thoughts

“Perhaps after we dip ourselves in a deeper pool?” Chanyeol smiles sweetly, “Also it’s getting rather hot. Would you like some lunch, maybe some drinks and stay in the shade?”

“Nope. I’m not hungry or thirsty but we can get some if you want.”

Thinking of a few second, Chanyeol decided to keep going to the next swimming pool where it is 1m65. Once they are in the pool, they stayed by the shallower to let Baekhyun get used to the height. They held hands the whole time, never letting go even when they were playing to see who can stay under water longer. After a while, Chanyeol leads them to a steep side where Baekhyun begins to panic because the water was slowly getting to his neck.

 

"No more Chanyeol. No more. I'm going to die if you bring me any lower." Chanyeol laughs at him, tugging him to take a few more steps, but of course, he tugged back, not wanting to take any more steps.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, was having fun teasing Baekhyun. It’s adorable the way Baekhyun tiptoes and cranes his neck upwards to stay away from the water. Baekhyun is roughly 10 centimeters above water level so its fair to say Baekhyun is almost drowning. On the other hand, the water was only to his shoulder so if anything, Baekhyun can cling onto him. He wasn’t going to let Baekhyun drown.

He told Baekhyun that this was only half to the deepest part of the pool, but the truth was, this was as deep as this pool will let. Chanyeol really didn't mean to make fun of Baekhyun, but he does find it cute when Baekhyun bit his lower lips and whine in protest. All Yeol can say, is that Baekhyun looks like a puppy trying to waddle its paws in the water asking for help.

With one last pull towards his chest, he took Baekhyun by surprise and had the latter jumped onto him with Baekhyun’s arms tightly around his neck and Baekhyun’s legs tightly around his waist. 

"Yeol! Yeol! I'm going die. Oh, my god, I'm going to drown today and I will die!" Baekhyun mutters as he closes his eyes and panic. Seeing how Baekhyun is more afraid than he should, Chanyeol immediately rubs his back, soothing him until he calms down completely

Skin to skin, cheek to cheek, Chanyeol enjoy the warmth they were giving each other. Chanyeol took advantage of the situation and prologue the feeling of complete and happiness he had been yearning for the last two years.

"I'm here Baekhyun. You're okay." Chanyeol assures with sweet words and let out a sign of content.

“You scared me.” Baekhyun whispers, “You know it’s been a while since I’m in a pool. You meanie.”

Chanyeol giggles gently, “I didn’t mean to.” And Chanyeol said the truth. He didn’t mean to make Baehyun so scared. “I promise I won’t do it next time.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” Chanyeol confirmed.

As Baekhyun relaxed and let his legs dangles in the water, he rests his face on Chanyeol’s should and let them dance along the water as the tides hit them back and forth.

“You know, the water is very cold, but you’re really warm and it makes me want to stay forever.”

“You’re really warm too. Human bodies are naturally warm, that’s why people strip and hug each other when they want to survive the cold together.”

“You’re right, I did hear about that.” Baekhyun said.

As they talk about stupid things, Chanyeol never stop rubbing his thumb against Baekhyun’s back. It was as if Chanyeol was reminding Baekhyun that he was still there and that everything will be fine.

Baekhyun, on the hand, feels extremely relaxing. He feels good even though he was feeling a little hot. Although they were surrounded with chlorine, he could still smell the y cologne of Chanyeol's hair wash and the sweet cinnamon scent from his body. The mixer was nice in Baekhyun's opinion because it wasn't too sweet nor was it too strong. He took the chance to savor the scent, taking the new fragment into his brain as it is now his new obsession.

"Baekhyun?" Chanyeol called for him, but he was too tired to answer. He closes his eyes and hum in responds.  Baekhyun doesn’t know how long they have been in the water but everyone seems a lot noisy and his surrounding was a lot more peaceful. Maybe it was the chlorine, or Chanyeol’s body fragment, or the warmth from their bodies or something else. Baekhyun was sure, but he was definitely a little bit sleepy.

Minutes passed and neither of them said anything. Only the steady heartbeat of their chest was the main source of sound in their ears. The sun was still up and shining bright, but his body feels hotter than it was a few minutes ago. He finds it hard to breathe and his breathing becomes shallower, but even so, it was very comfortable and easy to stay there forever.

Baekhyun doesn’t know why, but he just wants to sleep and he remembers telling Chanyeol he wants to sleep but he guesses words never came out, because one second it was peaceful and he went to sleep, and the next, he hears echo of Chanyeol screaming for his guards.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol scream on the top of his lungs when he sees Baekhyun’s heal drops sideway. He brings Baekhyun to the shore in a matter of seconds and immediately he scream for a life guard or any emergency responders that was near.

Does it make sense that Baekhyun just faint? Not to mention on his watch and right in his arms.

While they wait for someone to come, Chanyeol did his best to stay calm. Having learned a few emergency tricks from his friend Joonmyeon, Chanyeol was at least able to checks for Baekhyun’s pulse, and temperature. Baekhyun’s a little hot, but he was sure Baekhyun didn’t have a fever this morning. He hopes it is just a fever and nothing else.

“Kris, call Mrs. Byun and asks her if this happened before. Also tell the driver to come immediately. We’re going home.”

Fear rushed in and he finds himself useless for nothing being able to help Baekhyun. Baekhyun fainted on his watch. Baekhyun is sick while he’s with him.

This is so unacceptable. What the has he been doing with Baekhyun in his arms. Weren’t there signs?

Chanyeol almost burst in anger when a lifeguard came rushing in with an emergency bag in his hand. “What happened to him?”

“Hold on, let me check.” The guard did his job, checking Baekhyun’s pulse, temperature, eyes, and sugar rate to see if anything was abnormal.

A minute or two was passed and the guard finds sigh and put back his material.
“Is he okay?”


The guard nodded, “It’s nothing too serious. His sugar level is a bit low and I think he’s having a heat which explains the slight fever. The weather is very hot today and he’s probably not having enough water. You should really get him into an air-coned room and give him something sweet when he wakes up,” The lifeguard placed a cold towel on Baekhyun’s eyes and forehead to cool down his temperature.

Chanyeol almost slapped himself across the face because it’s been 3 hours since they’ve been in the water park and not a single water bottle was bought for Baekhyun. Even if Baekhyun didn’t seem thirst, Chanyeol should have bought it anyway and encourage Baekhyun to drink some.

Feeling stupid, Baekhyun bite his own lips and immediately carries Baekhyun in his arms to a more shaded area.

Minutes later, Kris calls to inform that the car has arrive and they immediately covers Baekhyun’s body with a towel and carry him to the car.

Chanyeol had Baekhyun placed in his bedroom. He changed his cloth and tuck them in nicely under his soft blanket. Of course, he didn’t forget to turn on the air-con slightly lower to keep Baekhyun cool. His facial expression looks better and he’s breathing more comfortably under the velvet.

With a few on Baekyun’s hair and a soft kiss on his cheek, Chanyeol left to make some dinner.

Baekhyun apparently still haven’t wake up by the time he finished their dinner's meals. The elder must be really tired, so he didn’t have the heart to wake him up. He didn’t have the appetite to eat either seeing how Baekhyun is still unable to join him. He decided that if Baekhyun won’t eat, he won’t have any either.

“Young master. Your dinner is getting cold,” his butler softly informs him through his door.

“I won’t be eating dinner today. You and the others can have it for dinner. I’ll make something new for him tomorrow morning.”

“As you wish” His butler answer and leaves with light steps.

Chanyeol changed into his sleepwear. He remembered to call Baekhyun’s butler to inform him about their situation and the sudden sleepover. The latter question him nothing and only thanks him for taking care of his master.

He did his usual routine before laying himself next to Baekhyun. It wasn’t the first time they lay next to each other but it was definitely the first time Baekhyun sleeps over at his house. Chanyeol was too nervous to sleep, not when Baekhyun was sleeping peacefully right next to him. The peptide male was like the sleeping beauty inside his story. With soft moonlight slightly showering down on their face, Baekhyun’s curled eyelashes, small button nose, soft plump lips, and fair skin became especially gorgeous in his eyes.

Baekhyun was truly the light of his life, shining it like no other could. Like an angel he was, he showers him with love, purity, and happiness; even coming into his life unexpectedly and save him from his misfortune. What was he ever going to do if Baekhyun never showed up?

A whine took him by surprise and he looks at Baekhyun, waiting for him to wake up. It took him a while, but Baekhyun eventually flutters his eyes open and looks confusingly from one side to another.

“You’re at my house Baekhyun.” Baekhyun loosens up and looks in his direction where his voice was.

Baekhyun doesn’t know what happened, but he didn’t care to ask when Yeol pulls him into a close embrace, against his chest. He snuggles closer to the heat and rests comfortably between two big arms.

Just like that, they stayed in silence with Yeol thinking Baekhyun went back to sleep. “Chanyeol.” Of course, that was until Baekhyun calls his name in a half-asleep manner. “Uhm?” He hums back.
 

“Have I ever told you how I go blind? You know... how I lose my sight?”

He didn’t say anything back, simply because he didn’t want to talk about it. Baekhyun on the other hand thinks otherwise.

“The reason why I became blind, was because I became a hero. Two years ago, I save a boy from getting hit by a car. He was crossing a street when a car dangerously crossed the red light and speed up, ready to hit him. I took his place and save his life, but in exchange, I lost my sight. Never once did I regret saving his life, because I’m happy that he could live his happy life. I got to be a hero anyway so I wasn’t complaining.” Baekhyun felt the arms around his waist tightening, and he did the same out of pure reflexes.

“I really wanted to meet him once and see how he’s doing, but my parents said he never came. I wonder if he’s just really busy or maybe he lives really far away.”

“Baek-“

“Now that I think about it, the boy was also really tall. Maybe as tall as you.” Baekhyun giggles, “His name also ended with Yeol, but I can’t really recall his full name. What was it again?......uhm.....uh....something Yeon? Park something Yeon.

“Park Chanyeol.”

“Was it? Your name is Chanyeol too. It would be crazy if you were him.” Baekhyun laughs again, feeling lightened by the sudden recall of the boy he saved. He doesn’t question Chanyeol how he knows that name, but then again, he was too sleepy to even ask.

“Baekhyun?”

“Uhm?” The way Baekhyun lazily answers, he knew Baekhyun was drifting back into this sleep. Even so, say-he wanted to say what Baekhyun’ve been wanting to hear.

“The boy name Park Chanyeol, he’s living a happy life. Thanks to you, he was able to spend his time with his parents and friends, even falling in love with the most beautiful person in the world. He couldn’t come and visit you because he was too afraid to face you after all he had done to you. Rather, he comes to the hospital every day to watch you from afar, but never once was he confident enough to come and talk to you face to face.” Baekhyun hums back happily.

“Park Chanyeol is a coward Baekhyun. He couldn’t even come and thank you for saving his life.” He tried to keep his voice steady, but the tears on his face couldn’t stop falling.

“I was a coward Baekhyun. I couldn’t even tell you my whole name.” Too guilty and burdened, he accidentally slips out the piece of information that he had been keeping to himself all this time.

He pulls Baekhyun closer towards his chest and whispers apologies non-stops whiles tears never stop falling. “I’m really sorry Baekhyun. I’m sorry for taking away your eyes.”

But Baekhyun was already asleep, very deep into his dreamland. “Forgive me Baekhyun. I’ll make it up to you I promise.”

Even if it means I have to agree to the offer, even if it means hiding from you forever. I promise you I'll give you your sight back. That's the least I could do.

-tbc-

Next update: 9/5/2021