Chapter 3

The Intimacy Seeker
Please log in to read the full chapter

Nothing was heard but the beeping sound and faint of breath in that room. A tall girl with pipes and wires attached to her immobile body lay on the hospital bed. She had been staying motionless on that bed for about three weeks. The ups and downs on her chest were the only motion she made. Her blond hair was coated in her natural sebum with hints of her original hair colour sprouting on the roots. The nails that were painted on her twiggy hands had grown, but someone had trimmed her nails neatly.

A man was sitting on the corner of the room with his head rolled down and eyes shut. His hands were folded upon his chest as he snoozed himself in the sleep. Another tall man walked in with a bouquet of flower in his hand and a big bag slinging on his shoulder. His free hand reached for the sleeping man’s shoulder to tap him lightly.

“Mr. Manager, I’ll take it from here. You go home and rest.” He said to the man he just waken up. The older man sleepily tried to stand on his feet and took his coat to leave. The younger male assisted the man to the door while being told if anything happened, feel free to call him anytime. He closed the door shut, leaving another silence inside the room. The man that just arrived put his bag on the guardian bed before moving to a vase filled with wilted flowers to replace them with the new ones. Every bouquet counted the amount of weeks she’d been staying on that bed.

The man took his jacket off; he threw it on the guardian bed and dragged the chair next to the bed where the girl lay. He sat still for a moment, and then reached for her hand that was bloated due to the IV drop pipe stabbed on her skin. He took a deep breath; he manoeuvred her hand towards his lips and kissed it. He missed it; he missed her warmth, her touch, her voice calling his name, and her smile as the first thing he sees in the morning.

He fetched for his phone, tapping it to send a message, and threw it on the bed. He laid his head next to her leg, thumb gently on her hand. “How long are you going to stay like this?” He asked, even when he knew that he won’t get anything for an answer. His phone vibrated on the bed, made him stretched his long limb to pick it up. He looked at the letters formed on the screen and swiped it immediately. A woman’s voice was heard from the other side of the line.

“Yes ma’am, I’m with her now. There’s no need to worry, just take some rest. I’ll be back in the morning before going to class.” He said to the female at the other side of the line. A sheepish smile carved upon his face. “Oh, I’m sorry ma—I mean, mother. Yes I have eaten something before I arrived.” He smiled shyly to the floor. “Yes, your daughter is now under my watch. Don’t worry too much and take some sleep. I’ll take you visit tomorrow.” He said tenderly and waited for the other person hanging up on him.

He blew his breath on her hand again before he got lured into the land of sleep where he could possibly meet her, jolly and bubbly as he remembered. It went back to the previous silence where only beeps and breaths sound was heard. Sometimes the ticking sound of the watch cuffing on the boy’s wrist gave its contribution to break the silence, but it was nothing more than that. The painful silence went on and on until a hint of movement sparked fro

Please log in to read the full chapter