LXXIII.

Love the Rain so You Can Love Me Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dream, no. The nightmare haunted Seri for days. People say that dreams are warning signs. The Greeks says so. While some dreams could be considered meaningless, others posses significance. Dreams impart knowledge, location and emotion. It could even foretell the future, they say.

 

"Is everything alright Seri?"

 

Her head slowly turns to meet her friends' concerned stare. There they were. Her two best girlfriends looking at her with out most care.

 

"Mian..", she sighed, stirring on her drink. The cafe was calming and pure, complete with the sweet and bitter aroma of newly made coffee. It was supposed to make one feel relaxed and at peace. However, it failed to soothe the frail lady's worry.

 

"Is it Chanyeol again?"

 

"Haa.. what happened? Did you fight?", a disappointed sigh left Jiyah's lips.

 

"No."

 

"Then what's wrong?"

 

"Nothing." Her words were followed by a deep sigh of depression. The aura that she gave was enough to bring the grey clouds inside the small coffee shop.

 

Mari and Jiyah eyed one another. They spoke through wiggling eyebrows and pointing lips as their friend lifelessly sip her drink.

 

"Aha!" Jiyah suddenly slams her palms on the table, shocking everyone inside the shop. Mari had to bow in apology and embarrassment to the other customers in behalf of her friend.

 

"I know what's going on."

 

Seri unconsciously tilts her head followed by knitted eyebrows, expressing her confusion.

 

"You miss him.", she concludes with full confidence. Jiyah expresses her words as if she just solved a high profile case. One Sherlock himself could not do.

 

"Ugh!" Mari frustratingly rolled her eyes. How could she only figure that out now? Itwas already too obvious.

 

Nod. She didn't argue nor denied. Her drooping eyes and pouting lips stand as proof.

 

"Aww cheer up. He's coming back as soon as you know it."

 

"Psh! He was supposed to be back two days ago." The careless comment from Jiyah received quite a strong elbow from beside her while Mari gave her the stare.

 

Unlike Mari who was the sweet and gentler friend, Jiyah was frank and too honest than needed. It was true though. Chanyeol was scheduled to fly back home two days ago, however he said he still needed to stay. Changes in his schedule required him to do so. There were banks and papers and meetings he said. She couldn't compete with those. Now, she needed to wait for another three days.

 

"It's just three days."

 

"Yeah.", she was still joyless even when she tried her best to give them a smile.

 

"Come on Seri. That's already tomorrow."

 

"You're right." But it wasn't that that's making her worry. True. She was happy, excited actually, knowing he'd come home tomorrow. However, she can't help but think that something was wrong. That perhaps he's having a hard time. Was it just a dream? It was hard to believe when she could feel the sting it brought along. Call it a woman's intuition.

 

"Ah! Why don't we go out and drink? Later. Call?"

 

"Yah! You know Seri has low tolerance."

 

"So what? It can help her relax."

 

"You're definition of relax is giving her a hangover when she has to work tomorrow."

 

"And what do you suggest?"

 

"The spa. Let's go get our nails done instead."

 

Seri sat and listened to her bickering friends. Oh how much she missed spending time with these two. Adult life has gotten the best out of them. Their schedules rarely match.

 

Mari was the busiest. She had been getting promotions after promotions. Not that it would be hard to believe. She was a top student after all. It actually feels like a miracle to see her.

 

Jiyah on the other hand is pursuing her graduate studies, which makes Seri really proud. She wasn't the type to put her nose into books. Jiyah was the happy-go-lucky friend. A very spontaneous one- a free spirit as they say. She didn't mind getting C's or D's before. But this time around she has been doing great. Even a B plus bothers her entire soul.

 

Suddenly she felt bad of how she's been acting. They all set this lunch date so they could catch up even for a short time and yet here she was, sitting lifelessly.

 

"That sounds fun!", she claps, catching their attention.

 

"How about we get to the nail spa and then drink? Let's meet after office hours."

 

It took a solid ten seconds before both her girls react. They studied her expression before smiling themselves. The blue in her eyes were still evident to them. Those were something she could never hide from these two girlfriends of hers. But the sweetness of her smile also said she was trying. That was enough at least.

 

"Call."

 

**

 

Time passes too slowly when you have something to look forward for. Like her after out date with her girlfriends perhaps. Jiyah had been flooding Seri with messages all afternoon. There's a number of newly opened spas around the city. And she has been asking her of what she thought for each one.

 

Finally! Just like how students would celebrate at the ring of the bell, Seri sighed happily as she stood. The most awaited hour for a regular office laborer has come. She made sure to leave her table neat and clean before quickly proceeding to the bio-metrics and call it a day. No overtime work, no take home folders just a relaxing girl time bonding with her friends for this evening.

 

"Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Are you done yet?" She hears her friend, Mari, questions just as she got off the elevator.

 

"Eo. I'll meet you at the mall."

 

"Okay. I'm just fixing my things. Jiyah's there already. I'll see you. Bye."

 

The cool breeze of the wind gives Seri a shiver. Even with the thick coat on, it still managed to penetrate the expensive fabric. It was good however, that the rain had stopped by now. She could walk easily to the bus station without worrying on getting wet. Rubbing her palms together for heat, she strides on the wet pavement. Woo.. should've brought those extra hot packs Haru offered.

 

Ring Ring Ring

 

"I'm almost at the bus stop."

 

"Wae?"

 

Thinking that it could only be Mari or Jiyah, she didn't bother looking at the caller ID. She speaks even before the other line could say hello. But then she was greeted with a question. The voice far from any of her friends or a woman for that matter. She stopped from her tracks, checking on her phone with widen eyes.

 

"Chanyeol?", she confirms, shakily.

 

She could hear his delighted chuckle before a deep hum.

 

"Hello to you too."

 

"Oh, sorry. I thought it was Jiyah or Mari."

 

"Hhm. Are you going to go meet them?" She smiles as she proceeds on her steps. His voice was soothing every part of her but his deep tone was being painfully y it dried .

 

"Ye-yeah. We're going to the nail spa."

 

"You should've worn warm clothes then."

 

"Of course I did."

 

"Psh. You don't have a scarf though."

 

"I was running late this morning so I forgot to-...."   How did he?

 

She stood frozen at the thought. Turning her head from let to right, she looked for any signs of him nearby. But he's still in China. It didn't hurt to try looking for him, her heart combats what her mind spoke out. At that moment she could see a hundred of people walking by. She turns to her right and sees a group of teen aged girls giggling as they walked. Behind them were middle aged ladies with grocery bags in their hands. She moves on her left and there were groups of office workers briskly walking, some of them still on their phones. The pedestrian light turns green, then more people came by. Young and old, male and female mixed over on the streets at that busy hour. Her eyes, however, only searched for one familiar face. 

 

"I was wondering why you were walking to this stop when your bus station is the other way around."

 

Again, she a full three-sixty before meeting a middle aged man's broad shoulders.

 

"Oops! Careful there my love."

 

She quickly apologized to the annoyed man before returning on her search.

 

"Are you here?", she was lost of breath with her heart hammering fast.

 

Chanyeol watched the panicked girl moving here and there in search of him. He could not help but chuckle in delight of her sight. She glowed in his eyes with every move she made. How she looked for him made his entire whole jump in joy.

 

"Stop moving like that. You're going to keep bumping into people."

 

"Where are you?" Her body stopped just like he asked but her eyes remained to seek for him. Her voice was irritated and demanding but her heart anticipating and longing.

 

"Right here."

 

A rush of air from his lips entered her ear. She spun too quickly to meet his tall figure. There he was, smiling too proudly for his smooth entrance. His eyes smiled with his lips, making all the butterflies burst. He wasn't dressed in a formal business attire but he still managed to look expensive. The black winter jacket matched too well with him, he reinvented the whole style. He wasn't holding his phone anymore as he placed it in his pocket. However, Seri still had hers to her ear. Despite the beeping sound that signals the end of the call, she failed to put it down.

 

Chanyeol chuckled in glory. Didn't expect that huh? He pats himself in the back for doing a great job at the unexpected surprise. Noticing that she wasn't near from giving any other reaction, he reached to put her phone down himself as he placed it in his pockets. He proceeds on taking his scarf off to tie them around her pale neck. Chanyeol could feel her eyes still surprised and following his moves. But then it was his turn to be taken a back as she clashed her body to his, welcoming him in a tight embrace. He instinctively caught her as he chuckled. How much he longed to feel her too while he inhaled the sweet scent of her favorite flowers through her hair. Without his scarf on, he felt the coldness of her cheeks when it brushed on to his neck. That's when he broke the hug and wrapped the fabric to warm her.

 

"I would want to drive you there but I'm scared you'd freeze on our way back, so let's just take the bus."

 

"When did you arrive?" She was still in the high after seeing him that she failed to recognize his words. She began to ask her own questions.

 

"I'll tell you later. Come on."

 

It was a rush hour. School had been dismissed and working time was officially over. With every one trying to get home, the buses were full, leaving Chanyeol and Seri to stand on their journey. Chanyeol protectively stood behind her. He made sure to keep their stance, not to fall on the harsh sudden brakes of the driver. New to this kind of surrounding, he was curiously observing the people.  Seri, on the other hand, only observed him. It was hard to believe he was there. She felt a mixture of emotions running through her system. She missed him and deeply wanted to see him but at the same time, she felt worried. What was the reason that he came home earlier than scheduled? Could there be a problem? Why was he dressed so casually? Did he not go to work?

 

With all these thoughts troubling her, Seri could only reach for his hand that trapped her from behind. Chanyeol felt the softness of her fingers that tried to knot with his despite having had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter