The Barista

Nyctophilia


It's three am.

The streets are empty and the weather is cold.

Wonwoo shivers in his coat. Though he is well acquainted with the chilly wind, it doesn't stop him from shaking.

Jeon Wonwoo walks around the block, for what seems like the third time. The moonlight accompanies the dim street lights, illuminating Wonwoo's path. He sighs tiredly. His mind is telling him that he's tired but his body feels restless. He kicks over the same piece of gravel that he kicked over the last two times he's circled around.

It's not easy for him to go to bed at times like these. Every day he'd leave his tiny apartment, just to roam the empty streets, hoping it would lure him to sleep. He doesn't exactly know why it's so hard for him to sleep when the rest of the world does.

Wonwoo keeps his gaze on his shoes, though it's rather hard to see in the dark. He's absorbed in his own mind and hardly pays attention as he passes by his apartment complex and makes yet another round of the neighborhood.

Wonwoo sighs, taking notice how his breath forms into a puff of smoke from the winter air. He simply blinks and continues his walk around. He soon comes back to his apartment thinking enough was enough. It was almost four thirty and he wanted to salvage as much sleep as he possibly could.

But then again, Jeon Wonwoo was an insomniac and sleep wasn't an option.

~~~

Jeon Wonwoo never knew why it was so hard to fall asleep at night. He knows he'd wake up several times at night, shaking and sometimes crying from a nightmare he could not recall once he woke.

Jeon Wonwoo only knows he fears falling asleep.

The pills don't work and neither does tea or milk. Lullabies help very little but Wonwoo takes whatever he can get.

During the day, Wonwoo tries to ignore the tired feeling underneath his eyelids and the exhausted tension that seeps into his bones.

It's easier to catch sleep during the day, especially when Wonwoo catches the bus. The bus rocks him into much needed sleep but eventually Wonwoo wakes up to get off.

It may not be much but it gets Wonwoo throughout the day.

By the afternoon, Wonwoo has made it to a corner bookshop.

"Welcome, Wonwoo. You're on time, as always." Jisoo, his friend and co-worker, greeted him. Wonwoo nodded at his friend and watched tiredly as Jisoo rearranged a set of books on a shelf.

Working at a tiny bookshop wasn't an exciting job but Wonwoo was very content. It was a peaceful shop though it smelled of ink and old paper. Wonwoo also loved to read, so the job was fitting.

"You look tired. Didn't get any sleep?" Jisoo asked, turning his head towards Wonwoo. The raven-haired male shook his head and proceeded into the back of the store. The store was so tiny that it was hard not to brush Jisoo's shoulders as Wonwoo walked by, though Jisoo was far too used to it. Jisoo simply smiled and continued rearranging the books.

"I have a delivery later today," Jisoo said, loud enough for Wonwoo to hear. The latter was making his way to the very back of the store and looked at the counter which a package sat, waiting.

"This one?" Wonwoo asked, before hearing a sound of confirmation from Jisoo. Wonwoo began searching around the brown box, looking for the address.

"To Jeonghan?" Wonwoo whispered before smiling softly. Yoon Jeonghan was a customer that fancied Jisoo to no end. He'd always come in and buy a dozen books just to see Jisoo and deliveries was his new tactic of doing so.

"Yeah. I bet his whole house is filled with books." Jisoo said as he made his way to Wonwoo. "I think he got a set of music sheets and a beginners guide to guitar. Makes you wonder what he's up to."

Wonwoo simply nodded before taking a seat behind the counter where his stool stood waiting for him.

"I'll go deliver this since you're here. You'll be okay, won't you?" Jisoo asked while grabbing the box. Wonwoo nodded again and watched as Jisoo left.

Silence followed after the ringing of the tiny little bell on door, indicated that Jisoo was gone. Wonwoo let out a breath and took a look around the small shop, taking in the lights that hung from the low ceiling and the piles of books that were scattered all over the place. Wonwoo eventually felt bored of staring at the scene before him so he looked at the music player Jisoo had hidden in the corner. Usually Jisoo would play music in the morning while he played his guitar but in the afternoon, Wonwoo would come in and Wonwoo thinks Jisoo might think it would be bothersome to him (though it was absolutely not).

The vinyl player and the modern CD player sat side by side and waited as Wonwoo searched through the CD collection. Wonwoo went through some english albums, recognising a few because Jisoo had played several of them before. Wonwoo slipped in a random CD, and waited patiently till Jisoo returned.

When he did return, he joined Wonwoo in singing random songs all day. He even took out his precious guitar and played a few songs himself. Wonwoo laugh wholeheartedly as his performance.

After that, they decided to take a lunch break though Wonwoo had hardly done anything since walking into the shop. The two put up the 'closed and will be back' sign and proceeded to go to whatever place they could at the small shopping centre they were located at.

"We ate at the noodle shop last time..." Jisoo mumbled. "Shall we try something different?"

Wonwoo looked around, taking in the area. He and Jisoo had already tried out almost all the food places they had, except one and it caught his eye quickly.

"Jisoo?"

"Yeah?"

"Since when has that cafe been there?" Wonwoo asked, pointing to a cute little cafe that looked like a coffee shop of sorts.

"Ah, I heard it just opened. I think that was where the old gym was. I guess they changed it to a cafe because no one came to exercise!" Jisoo laughed as Wonwoo nodded with a smile. Wonwoo did find it rather odd how he had never really noticed the new addition to the shopping strip. Wonwoo followed Jisoo across the street  and down until they made it to the cafe. A banner hung by the door saying 'Grand Opening'.

"What do you think, Wonwoo?" Jisoo asked as he looked up at the cafe in front of them. Wonwoo eyed the cafe, observing the bright colors and the fragrance looming around it. It isn't super busy but it wasn't deserted either. Wonwoo simply nods at Jisoo, and the other acknowledges it and reaches over to grab the door. Wonwoo laughs as Jisoo leaves it open and allows Wonwoo to go in first, like the gentleman that he was.

Somehow, it's very roomy for a small shop and the tables are all arranged in way that doesn't make it hard to move around. Wonwoo thinks its very well-arranged and extremely cozy.

"This place looks nice,"Jisoo commented as he gave the place a quick look over. Wonwoo was just about to agree until someone came up to him.

"Good afternoon, how are you?" Someone who looked like a barista, according to his apron wrapped around his torso. Wonwoo eyed the person, who was incredibly tall and handsome. He had a cute grin and strangely attractive set of pointy teeth. His hear was sweeped off to the side and his eyes were bright.

Wonwoo's mouth fell open and he could hardly make a sound.

"I'm handsome, aren't I?" The taller male asked, cheekily. Wonwoo quickly blinked and shut his mouth. "It's okay, don't be embarrassed. I have that effect on some people." The barista laughed with a wink.

Wonwoo felt heat rush to his cheeks and he hoped both the barista and Jisoo didn't notice.

"You can sit anywhere, though I highly suggest the table by the window. It's cold, but very pretty."

"No, we're gonna take something to go actually." Jisoo said, smiling awkwardly. The barista nodded, though the smile on his face never left.

"Okay!"

The two followed (Jisoo just kinda dragged Wonwoo) the barista to the counter and Wonwoo found it hard to make any sounds. Wonwoo couldn't even form any words when asked what he wanted to order. The handsome barista just kept smiling at him patiently and Wonwoo would continue to trip over his words until Jisoo decided to help him out.

"We'll both take some muffins and two Americanos. Please."

"Yes, sir!" The barista said cheerfully. He then turned to get to work and talk to the other barista who was at the coffee machinery. Wonwoo watched with interest as they worked, suddenly fascinated.

"Won, let's sit down as we wait okay?" Jisoo asked as he pulled Wonwoo by his arm.

"Huh?" Wonwoo said as he looked to and fro, confused. When he finally understood what Jisoo asked him, he quickly nodded. "Oh, okay. Yeah, sure."

They sat down at a random table by the counter and Jisoo waited patiently while Wonwoo continued to stare at the barista behind the counter. Wonwoo could see his back and part of his face as he talked with the other barista but Wonwoo could not see the other's face. The tall barista leaned in toward the other while whispering something. The smaller one turned to glance in Wonwoo's and Jisoo's direction before nodding quickly with a grin. Wonwoo wondered what they talked about.

"That guy looks like he could be a model.." Jisoo said. Wonwoo quickly nodded, agreeing. The other gave Wonwoo a certain look before smiling widely.

"You think he's attractive, don't you?" Jisoo teased, nudging Wonwoo, causing the other to jump unexpectedly.

"W-What? Me? N-No." Wonwoo said a little bit too quickly. Jisoo simply laughed and nodded knowingly.

"It's okay, Wonwoo. I got you."

Wonwoo was going to protest that he did not find the barista attractive (yes he did) but he was soon interupted by said barista.

"Here's your order! There's a brownie in there as well, completely on me. Hope you enjoy!" He exclaimed happily with a wink. Wonwoo couldn't help but blink at the bright smile before letting Jisoo pull him quickly towards the door.

"Thank you!"

As soon as the door closed, Jisoo let out a sigh.

"If you like the guy, don't make it so obvious!" Jisoo mused, trying not to laugh so hard. Wonwoo made a choked sound before saying he honestly did not like the handsome stranger (yes he did).

When Jisoo was done teasing and was instead enjoying his coffee, Wonwoo looked into his bag for his muffin.

Inside was two muffins and of course the brownie that the barista had thoughtfully added. Wonwoo blushed as he carefully took it out and showed Jisoo. The other laughed and almost spat out his coffee as he looked at the heart-shaped pastry.

Wonwoo looked back at the cafe with a look of curiousity and a mix of excitement.

He wouldn't mind seeing that barista again.

===

A/N

Hi guys! This is the first chapter and I hoped you liked it! For those who have come here from "Please Date Me". I apologize that I still have not finished that fic and continued to write another ;( I promise I will update whenever I can.

School is starting up soon and I wanted to make this fic before I could forget, BUT! i will most definitely try to update as much as I can this year.

Thank you for reading up to here, and leave a comment! See you soon xx