A way to find love

Not about looks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There’s a point in someone’s life when they realize they’re going to die alone unless they change something about their love life.

Lee Donghae had just turned thirty and, at least for him, that point hadn’t come yet. He was a laid-back receptionist at one of the most luxurious hotels in Gangnam. To be honest, he was happy just the way things were, he didn’t need another man to walk out his door after having a major fight just because he was childish and selfish. Or that’s what he was always called; he didn’t believe it to be true.

The problem was his roommate, Ryeowook, going through that kind of crisis. He had even asked him to accompany him to some blind speed dates because he was too embarrassed to go there alone. His friend had been referred to those meetings by many acquaintances because of his focus on everyone’s appearance, which made him pick s as boyfriends. Donghae never had thought of it that way –he didn’t really care actually-, but he wanted to be supportive so he accepted the punishment invitation.

“So, wanna hang out later?” asked Bae Joohyun, his coworker after finishing up with a couple’s check-in for a room. Their morning shift was almost over which, for them, was a relief. This was always the time for check-ins and check-outs; the busiest period of the day.

“I’d like that, but I have a date” he groaned in despair. Even though he wanted to help his friend find love, it had been a really long day and drinking sounded terrific.

“Hot date?” she raised her eyebrows with a hungry stare. She had been so busy with work that she hadn’t been able to date for a while now. And knowing how much of a player she was, Donghae was getting worried about her sanity. It was like she lived through his love life, and it was actually kind of creepy.

“More like my-best-friend-went-nuts-and-wants-me-to-help-him-find-someone-suitable kind of date” he sighed. “It’s actually called blind speed-dates; you can’t see the other’s faces”

“Woah, that ” she muttered while writing something down. “Well, maybe you can find someone you’ll like, I mean, it’s not like only losers go to that kind of stuff” she shrugged after finishing her last action.

“Joohyun-ah, you’re too kind. People who use that way to get a date are losers…” he gave her a toothless fake smile.

“I thought Dongwoo oppa had started with all that speed-date for LGBT crap” Bae frowned confused. “Is he a loser then?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t mean he uses his own method, you know how he’s been single for ages. He says he likes helping other people find the one instead of finding someone for himself” he explained.

“Well, I’m gonna stay here at the bar to see if I can get some hot businessman” she chirped while typing frantically. “Tomorrow’s my first day off in a long time and I want to get the best out of my night”

“Don’t get caught by our boss though” the young man laughed.

“Honey, you’re talking to me” she smiled cockily while raising her eyebrows.

Donghae sighed in desolation at the thought of what would happen later that night. He would probably have to deal with so many losers because of his lovely personality.

“How do I look? Like a five at least?” asked hopelessly Lee Hyukjae, a History teacher who had gone on too many blind dates in life for his liking. He had been turned down by so many people because of his looks he had lost hope in love.

“God, does it even matter? It’s a blind speed-date, hyung. Like, literally blind since people won’t see your face” scoffed one of his roommates, Lee Howon.

“I’m nervous. What if I’m doomed to be alone forever? Maybe even my personality is ugly!” he exclaimed flailing his arms in the air while running from the bathroom to his bedroom like a crazy lady.

“You know I don’t really like people, so the fact that I like you shows that you have a great personality” the other followed him with a mug on his right hand and his left one inside his pocket. “The thing is, you know… your face” he whispered quickly before sipping on his beverage.

“Well thank you for your comment, really” Hyukjae said bitterly. “¡Hyung, hurry up!” he shouted while fiddling with his clothes.

A tall man appeared at the door. His hair was messy and he carried a blank expression. His name was Kim Jongwoon and was living with the other two since his apartment got caught on fire about a month ago –no one really knew how that happened-. He was Howon’s cousin and one of Hyukjae’s coworkers so he had loved the idea of living with them; an idea which he suggested.

“I’ve been ready for like an hour already, you’re the one that keeps fixing his hair” he spoke in a monotonous tone before walking to the others and sitting on the bed, right in the middle of the two. “And we should actually be on our way now because it starts in fifteen minutes”

“Then why did you sit down, hyung?” the teacher asked frowning.

“Oh, I thought you wanted to fix that- OW!” he was cut off by a punch on his shoulder from Howon.

“What?! What should I fix!?” Hyukjae ran into the bathroom again in desperation.

The room went silent for a second before Howon sighed.

“He didn’t have to fix anything, why did you tell him that?”

“I just think is funny to bug him” he laughed and looked up to his younger cousin.

“Ha-ha, very funny, V-line” Howon tapped forcefully on the other’s jaw and left.

Donghae really hadn’t expected nothing like what was in front of him.

His college friend, Jang Dongwoo, had always told him about those meetings and he had heard in horror how a lot of people actually found someone who they liked and dated for a long time. He was the one who had started organizing speed-dates for all the LGBT community in Korea, which was a really big deal. However, he would never understand how any of that could help someone.

It was similar to actual speed-dates but it had its conditions. Everyone had an exact hour to arrive and get prepared. They had to wear masks to secure the anonymity and then enter an individual booth where they would be all night talking to strangers. Each booth had a number on the front and was furnished with just a table and two chairs. It actually looked like a karaoke place but it didn’t have any music or TVs.

He just wondered how they picked who waited in the booths and who didn’t.

“Well, in the application they actually ask you if you are a top or a bottom” Ryeowook laughed while putting on his mask. “And obviously, you’re a bottom too so…”

“So, they’re treating us like women just because we like to take it from behind?”

“It’s not like women, Donghae. Just enjoy the fact that we won’t have to go from booth to booth” his roommate sighed. “Come on, Dongwoo actually got us in as a favor since they weren’t taking any more people in”

“I’m just telling you, I won’t give anyone my number. This is creepy” the receptionist shuddered.

They were placed in each booth by Dongwoo, who looked extremely happy to see them there finally witnessing his work of art. Donghae was really proud of him and really appreciated what he did, but that didn’t mean he would like going to those meetings.

The receptionist entered booth number three with an unsettling heart. He paced around the room for a few minutes, pondering on the idea of running away. However, he didn’t, because he was a terrible boyfriend but not a terrible friend. So he sat down and started typing a message to Joohyun about how boring that was.

“Attention please, the dates will start now” Dongwoo’s voice echoed through the entire place. “Every ten minutes, everyone will switch partners. You cannot skip or repeat people so, please, guide yourselves by the number on each door” he explained before finishing in a sweet tone, wishing everyone good luck.

Donghae heard the doorknob twisting and greeted the recently arrived man.

“Hi, I’m Lee Donghae, nice to meet you” he smiled awkwardly, thanking he had a mask on.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter