The Interview

Frosted Glass (Continued)

Heung Soo stood outside the swanky skyscraper and still felt unwilling to cover the final steps into the lobby. The doorman was in a uniform that would have been perfect for an early 20th century footman but his body structure and stance gave away the fact that he was nothing but a bouncer in a fancy suit. Heung Soo wondered why somebody would require a personal security officer if they already have such beefy guards already at their disposal. He would have turned the very notion down if it had come from anybody else. But the Captain was a different matter. He couldn’t say no to the man who had been the first man ever to treat him as an equal and with the respect of a peer on equal footing. He had been patiently persistent in chipping away at Heung Soo’s polite indifference to his friendly overtures. Once they had managed to connect, they had become an odd couple on the base. He was a city bred junior lecturer at a college and Heung Soo just a country bumpkin with an average high school graduation under his belt. But the Captain had insisted that Heung Soo was capable of great things and had slowly built up his self-esteem even if he could not whittle away at his shy and introverted nature. And he had almost forcibly kept in touch with Heung Soo, meeting up with him at least once every year for dinner and drinks. One of those very rare occasions when Heung Soo drank.

Heung Soo sighed and then squared his shoulders before he decided to see this to the very end. He just would have to be very diplomatic and turn down job offer citing his present commitments. He was perfectly happy with his current job and money was never really a big motivating factor for him. He approached the ‘bouncer’ and asked to be shown to the apartment 1A. The doorman looked Heung Soo over but it didn’t bother him. But he already disliked the set up. Apparently, the employees were rude to visitors, so it left little to imagination as to how their masters were likely to behave. The doorman asked his name and conveyed the same over the handheld walkie-talkie to a metallic voice, who ordered him to let Heung Soo through. The doorman swiped his access card against the huge glass door and motioned Heung Soo through. Heung Soo stepped inside and was disoriented for a second. The lobby was like that of a five star hotel. There were a quartet of polished and polite looking men, who manned the semi-circular, waist high extended desk with perfectly measured smiles and hushed voice. The entire length of the desk was a huge fish tank with colorful tropical fish. Heung Soo forced himself to focus as he approached the desk.

A young man asked for his ID proof and ticked off his name on a thick visitor’s log. Before he knew it another burly guard took his position near him and after being given the silent and barely perceptible go ahead by the man behind the desk, he led Heung Soo to the elevators. Heung Soo surmised that he was going to be escorted all the way till his place of appointment. Though mildly irritated, he couldn’t fault them for implementing a water tight system to handle visitors. The inside of the elevator was shiny but not overly so. The piped music was western classical (not that Heung Soo knew or cared to know the difference between Bach and Mozart) and filled the awkward silence. The elevator doors opened to reveal a huge marble clad lobby, laid with intricate mosaic patterns. The guard walked up to a door and rang the bell as Heung Soo quickly spied another door at the other end of the lobby, presumably 1B perhaps. The door opened to reveal a barely out of teens young man, who looked harried and exhausted at the same time. His hair was messed and he was wearing a faded pair of track pants and a hoodie, which had certainly seen better days.

The guard announced in a formal tone, “Greetings, young master! Park Heung Soo, your first visitor of the day. His Id has been verified. Please let us know if you want us to him downstairs after the visit.” He even added a bow with the stiffness of an over-enthusiastic army recruit. The young man only nodded impatiently before turning to Heung Soo with a nervous smile. He extended a hand and introduced himself rather shyly.

“Greetings, Heung Soo-ssi. I am Chris……Go Chris. Professor…my academic counsellor… speaks very highly of you.  I do appreciate that you have taken the time to meet me. Thank you. Please come in.” Heung Soo shook hands and decided that so far the young man did not seem like a typical rich person. He stepped in through the door and found himself in the foyer, which soon opened onto a double height great room, flooded with natural light through the floor to ceiling windows that made up one wall. The furnishings were designer and high quality. Heung Soo quietly took in the surroundings like he was on a reconnaissance mission as he followed Chris to the kitchen. It seemed like he was in the middle of making a breakfast spread.

Chris took up his position behind the kitchen island and gestured to Heung Soo to take a seat on one of the pub height stools as he apologized, “Please take a seat. I am sorry, I have to talk to you while I make breakfast and lunch. I am headed to my classes pretty soon. I hope you don’t mind.” He didn’t wait for his answer and picked up the paring knife and the apple that he was peeling earlier.

Heung Soo remained standing and said perfunctorily, “Absolutely fine by me. I am in a hurry myself.” He just wanted to get over with the formalities knowing that he was going to turn down the job anyway.

Chris looked at him slightly disconcerted as if he could guess that he didn’t want the job already. He cleared his throat and pitched the job with gusto, “Well, not sure if the professor has told you anything but it is a job…..an unusual one, I must say…..of looking after my brother.”

Heung Soo’s prominent brows climbed up his broad forehead as he asked incredulously, “You want a nanny?”

Chris jumped in to set the record straight, “No! No! Not a nanny…..he is an adult. He is a professional. But he is very busy and needs somebody to accompany him and make sure that he is safe and…..eats on time…..doesn’t over-exhausts himself…..make sure that strangers don’t bother him……”

Heung Soo held up a hand and interrupted him, “I am sorry but this is not I do. You must have been misinformed. I am a security chief at a mall. At best, I can be somebody’s personal security officer but what you are describing is quite different. Sounds like you want an errand boy or minder or may be a little bit of both. I don’t do that. Now if your brother is facing threats or is at risk of being abducted or physically harmed, I could look into that.”

Chris bit his lower lip and nodded understandingly, “I know it sounds like a gopher’s job but it is so much more than that. We need somebody to trail him all the time. Let’s put it this way, we are looking for somebody who will look out for his welfare all the time, have his best interests at heart and have his back.”

Heung Soo smiled at Chris’ earnestness and said, “That’s what family is for. You can’t hire a person to do all that.”

Chris would have said more but the constant ringing of a cell phone in some distant corner of that humongous apartment distracted him. He apologized to Heung Soo for interrupting the conversation and ran towards his room, leaving Heung Soo standing where he was, with his back to the great room. He stood still as he had learnt to do during his military service, which had made him an excellent natural tracker. He patiently waited Chris’ return, feeling greatly relieved that turning down the job offer was going to be easier than he had thought. He would simply explain to the Captain that it was not his cup of tea and not risk offending him at all.

“Who are you?” a disembodied, sleep slurred, boyish voice rang out behind him. Heung Soo slowly turned around but could not see anybody. He kept quiet, waiting for the other person to speak up again, so that he could trace the location of the voice. It was like spotting a sniper and he was immensely patient by nature.

“Aishhh! Speak already or I am going to call the security guys! Who are you?” the voice sounded slightly irritated and certainly impatient by now.

Heung Soo gathered that the owner of the voice was hidden behind the steel panel balustrade that was the safety barrier along the entire length of the staircase that joined the great room to the upper level of the penthouse. It was on the far side of the room and from where he stood, he couldn’t see the person without moving towards the staircase and standing at the foot of it. He held his nerve and answered evenly, “I do not speak to people who don’t show themselves.”

A tousled hair topped head sprung up from behind the steel panel and demanded rudely, “How do you speak to people over the cell phone then?”

Heung Soo quickly scanned the face that went with the voice. A young man with a very fair, elfin face, perfectly round with high cheekbones, a little straight nose and a pair of rosy lips looked down at him suspiciously. He wondered why he seemed vaguely familiar. He answered in the same cool tone, “I don’t…….speak to people over the cell phone.”

A frown formed between the dreamily soft eyes that showed disbelief as he hauled himself to his full height. Heung Soo guessed that despite his delicate features, he was close to his height, taller than Chris. The young man hurried down the stairs and finally came in full view of Heung Soo. And all of a sudden Heung Soo could almost understand why he was hiding from a stranger’s view. Possibly because he was dressed in the strangest ensemble ever. He was wearing a pair of faded, printed fleece pajamas with mickey mouse motif, which looked about ready to fall apart. But his pajama was topped with a very expensive formal silk shirt, which looked wrinkled from being slept in, over which was draped an obviously handwoven (though not very skillfully) grandfather style open cardigan, which had just stopped short of reaching the appropriate length for his height. He was wearing multicolored tribal slippers, which looked like they were handmade in some remote part of Africa. The young man pulled the two sides of his cardigan together as if he felt slightly self-conscious in front of Heung Soo’s scrutiny, stomped over to him and stood almost nose to nose as he looked up at the slightly taller man and scoffed, “I don’t believe you! Everybody talks on the cell phone, all the time….with everybody.”

Heung Soo stood calm in spite of the gross violation of his personal space and what could be perceived as a threat or an insult. But the young man swiftly walked past…or more like sashayed past Heung Soo and flopped down on a stool. He looked at the half prepared breakfast and sneered. Dejectedly, he picked up a piece of apple and popped it in his mouth. He chewed with all the enthusiasm of a cud chewing cow. Heung Soo didn’t speak but took in his appearance and finally made the connection that he had seen his face grace many a window displays at some of the high end fashion stores in the mall. A model turned actor and a celebrity to boot as was apparent in his disrespectful behavior. Heung Soo crossed his arms and decided for once and all that he was definitely not going to take the job. He hated celebrities.

He could never fathom why they were special just because they were beautiful people. Genes and plastic surgery made them the way they were. They were not saving the country, educating new generations, healing the sick or inventing new gadgets. Then why were they so venerated? They were a bunch of spoilt and entitled lot, smiling fake smiles and taking the young people who idolized them for a ride. And made money…boatloads of money…as was apparent by the way he lived. Just because of a pretty face. Like the one that was slyly looking at him as long, graceful fingers pushed the platter containing the apple pieces towards him in a silent invitation. Heung Soo maintained his less than friendly demeanor and shook his head, declining the offer. He however did not miss the dismissive shrug of the slim but broad shoulders that spoke “whatever!” in a miffed tone without any words. Heung Soo turned at the noise of shuffling feet as Chris came back half running into the kitchen.

He talked fast as if rushing to get over with the pleasantries as a mere formality, “Hyung, this is Heung Soo-ssi and Heung Soo-ssi, this is my older brother, Go Nam Soon. He is the one we need you to………stay with. I am sure you know that he is an actor and a model. He is always busy and he tends to neglect himself when immersed in work.”

The sleepy eyes were bright and alarmed now as looked from his brother to the taller man who seemed to tower over them both, “Yah! What is this? How can you spring this on me? I don’t need anybody else! I already have a team of assistants from the management company and a security detail. Why do I need another stranger to tail me? I don’t want anybody else.”

Chris closed his eyes and drew a sharp breath as he reasoned with his brother, “Hyung, this is a little more than that. Remember, I had told you that my final exams are just 6 months away? I need to spend more time studying. I need more time to do research at the library. Sometimes I have to go to other universities as well…for a few days may be. The professor is trying to set me up with a few other tutors as well to make sure that I do well enough to earn a place in the post graduate course. I need somebody to look after you when I am away and it seems like I will be away quite a bit.” And then Chris prayed that his mercurial brother for once will just give in without a fuss. But that was not to be.

Go Nam Soon protested vehemently, “No! No! No!” and for good measure even stomped his foot on the ground like an obstinate child, “I do not need another person hovering over me. I will be fine. You go do whatever you have to do and I will take care of myself. Yah! I am older than you. I am the head of the family. I can bloody well manage myself.”

Chris was already on the edge. He had just heard from his professor, who had told him how disappointed he was with the latest paper that he had submitted for evaluation. His work was shallow and inconsistent, a rush job that seemed like a patchwork of different sources but no original thought. Chris had listened with a shame filled heart because he knew that his professor was right. He had hardly had time to work on the paper between keeping an eye on Go Nam Soon, keeping him steady and safe, his heavy class schedule and his part time job. But this had to stop. He had to sacrifice something for the long term goal that he had set out to achieve, to help his brother. He had to find a way to devote more time and energy to his academics before it was too late. He bit the inside of his cheek in frustration, another habit that both brothers shared because they both tended to internalize their conflicts. He looked at Heung Soo, who stood inspecting the top of the kitchen island like he was looking to find the clues to the mysteries of the Universe in its naturally spotted surface. He felt more than sure that he was his best bet even though he didn’t seem keen on the job himself. But he was going to deal with one difficulty at a time.

He spoke calmly, ignoring his petulant brother, “Heung Soo-ssi, excuse us a minute please. I need to speak to my brother alone.” But before Heung Soo could say that they could take all day for all that he cared because he was just waiting to find the gap to say his goodbye and remove himself from the awkward situation anyway, Chris grabbed the upper arm of his brother and almost bodily removed him from his seat. He literally pulled him behind him like an engine pulls a train compartment as he headed to a door which was on the other side of the great room. Heung Soo watched with some amusement as the taller, older brother could only flail and swat at the arm that dragged him away. Heung Soo only shook his head and rolled his eyes. This seemed like a perfect madhouse of a family.

Chris almost pushed his older brother inside before banging the door of the office closed behind him with some force. He let go of the taller man and went on the offensive immediately, “Do you not want me to do well in college? Do you want me to fail? If that is what you want, I might as well save you the money and give up right now.”

Go Nam Soon blinked and mentally backed down because he noticed how bright his younger brother’s eyes were with unshed tears and he picked up the slight tremor in his voice as well. He complained softly, “Why would you say that? You are the first one from our family to go to college. I want you to study as far as you want and get all the degrees that you want. Why do you think I have left the walls in this house bare?” he answered himself, “So that we can cover it all with your spiffy looking degrees and certificates…..yours, Thomas’ and Daisy’s. All of you will go to college and do great things.”

Chris wanted to hug his brother but instead appealed to his loving nature, “Then help me, hyung! I need somebody else to take on everything that I am doing for you…..from our side, not the management company’s side…..those are blood ers……they would make you work 24x 7 if they can. The more you earn the fatter their cut is! I want somebody to look out for you like I do. But there are just so many hours in a day and I am exhausted all the time. Please let me get somebody to help you and help me. Please hyung, don’t be difficult.”

Go Nam Soon plopped down on a the massive chair that didn’t exactly look like an office chair but more like a plush comfort chair and countered in a sulking tone, “But a stranger can never be like family. Nobody can replace you. Nobody will think…do things…like you do. It is just a paid employee. They do a job and that’s it.” All of a sudden he perked up as if he just had a brainwave, “Yah! I have an idea…why don’t you quit that part time job at the grocery store? You will have more time then. You can come home early and study.” Go Nam Soon actually looked proud at the simple solution that he had come up with.

Chris had considered that option but had decided not to. He loved his brother but between the high pressure of his college curriculum and the stressful job of keeping his brother on an even keel, the part time job was the only time he decompressed. It was a mostly mindless job of stocking shelves, settling day end accounts and reconciliation. Tedious and monotonous that the job was, it was the only time he felt free of tension. It was the only breather that he had but he couldn’t say that to his brother. He would rather walk through fire than break his saintly brother’s heart. And he knew how fragile his heart was. He decided to take a different route to counter his proposal…he would rather come across as proud than as callous to his brother.

“Well, I can’t do that. I need the money. You know that it is the only source to fund my expenses. Dad and mom are barely making ends meet and noona is still repaying student loans. So they are all tapped out. I need that money.” Chris insisted quietly.

Go Nam Soon looked hurt and peeved at the same time, “I don’t know what is wrong with them. I have offered to help them so many times and they turn me down each time. You would think that my money is tainted or something…..as if I murder people and steal their money. I earn it….every bit of it and I am happy to share it with my family. But they wouldn’t touch it. Are you with them too? Why pay a stranger when I can give that money to you for doing the same thing and I am sure nobody can match up to you, when it comes to sincerity.” He was close to yelling.

Chris leaned against the wall next to the closed door and calmly answered, “I am sincere because I am family, hyung. And you don’t pay your family to look after you. It is just something we do for each other. Like you pay my college tuition. I have never said no to that. However, that is such big obligation that hangs over my head and all the more reason that I need to do well. If you want to pay me to look after you then you have to draw up a formal loan contract for the tuition that you have paid for me. And then we will sit down and calculate how much more I still owe you and just how long, for the rest of my life, I will have to pay you back for it.” He knew the answer…….forever and a day.

Go Nam Soon jumped up at the cold threat in his brother’s voice, “You crazy fool! You owe me nothing! You are my brother and I would spend the last penny on you. Why do you think I work so hard? I work so that you guys have everything that you need and want. That’s what the head of the family does. I am the provider and I give with only one expectation…..that you are happy and contented and never want for anything. So stop talking about loans and obligations. I will not hear of it.”

Chris changed his approach again, proving that he had chosen his major well, “OK. Do me a favor then. This is what I want…what I need right now, hyung. I want some time off and I want somebody else to step into my shoes so that I can study with a clear mind, knowing the person is doing a good job and you are being looked after. I will not leave you at his mercy. I will be right here, hyung. Just need a helping hand. Please, let’s hire Heung Soo-ssi for the job.”

Go Nam Soon made a face to show his ample disdain, “He is a piece of stone. Humorless and stern like a military officer. He won’t be a good fit. And I don’t think he wants to do the job either. So, even if I agree, you may find him unwilling. And I can tell that he thinks that I am some sort of worm. I will not stand being looked down upon by some hired help.”

Chris had a feeling that his brother was right in his assumption that Heung Soo-ssi was not exactly thrilled to find out the details of the job. He knew from what the professor had told him that prospect of more money was not going to be the right incentive. They had to appeal to his heart. He had joked to Chris that if need be, he should simply fall at his feet and plead his case. But once on the job, they could be assured that he would be sincere and professional in his discharge of duty. More than anything else, Chris was impressed with the fact that he seemed totally unfazed by the celebrity status of his brother. Finding somebody who was not star-struck around his beautiful and much adored brother was a tall task. And according to the professor, he was the epitome of discretion so confidentiality of the goings on in the house would likely remain safe with him.

Chris mentally took a score, “One difficult person managed, one to go” and said to his brother, “Stay here. I will go talk to him. As it is, we have made him wait for a long time.”

He stepped outside and was a little surprised to see Heung Soo standing where they had left him several minutes earlier, next to the kitchen island, standing motionless with his arms crossed across his chest, his eyes fixed unseeingly on the kitchen cabinet at his eye level. Chris noted his patience and steely demeanor. He knew that one needed both to deal with his temperamental brother. For than ever, Chris was sure that only Heung Soo was right for the job even though nobody else was considered for it to begin with. But Chris wanted nobody else. There was a sense of calm that emanated from the way came across, unruffled, steady and grounded. It was going to serve his brother well to be in the presence of such a person.

He cleared his throat and started apologetically, “I am sorry to have kept you waiting. And I am sorry that you had to see that little……disagreement…..between brothers. He worked till 3 o’ clock in the morning and he gets irritable when he can’t sleep. He is otherwise a very sweet person. I am sure you will love to work with him.”

Heung Soo uncrossed his arms and laid his palms flat against the cold granite side. All of his staff knew what that stance meant. It meant that it was time to give up niceties and pussyfooting. He was ready to lay down the law in his firm, non-nonsense style. Heung Soo spoke clearly but emphatically, “I respect the Captain…..your professor….a lot. I came here because he asked me to and he has never asked any favor of me before. I must say that I was not terribly excited at the opportunity since I am currently in a very comfortable job. I like what I do. I wouldn’t mind continuing there the way things are right now. But now, after talking to you, I am absolutely sure that this is not what I would like to do. You need to look elsewhere because you possibly need a manager. I am not a manager. I am more of a drill sergeant. I deal with situational crisis, not people. My way is not fit for this situation. I am sorry but I won’t be taking this job. I hope you find somebody who fits your need.”

Chris felt his heart sink. His brother was somebody he could wheedle into seeing his point but this stranger seemed implacable. He wanted to actually throw himself at his feet but he had a part of the haughtiness that was his brother’s charm. Only he foiled it better and didn’t come across as a moody star because he was not the object of affection of millions of fans. He swallowed hard and smiled sadly, “I wish I could tell you how much we need you and just how right you are for the job. My brother has…..is….a crisis. But I thought you could give us a chance, at least, for six months. After six months if you still feel the same way, I would not stop you or persuade you to reconsider.”

Heung Soo felt bad for the younger man, who seemed more mature and sensible than his older brother. One thing was clear to see, Go Chris loved his brother to no end. He looked desperate but Heung Soo never took on a project he couldn’t accomplish. He silently wished him luck and patience but remained firm in his decision, “I don’t think that would be feasible. I would lose the job that I like for a job I am sure I am not fit for. I can’t afford that. It is lose-lose situation for me. I hope you understand.”

Chris nodded reluctantly and shook the proffered hand that Heung Soo felt compelled to extend to the young man in empathy rather than as a signal to end the conversation with finality. He fell in step behind Heung Soo as he strode towards the main door of the apartment, dragging his heels, racking his brain to find a way to make him think about his decision again. He crossed the coffee table and noticed the little handmade, childish card holder which held his name cards and impulsively picked up one. He caught up with Heung Soo and tried to sound casual as he held out his card, “I know that you are pretty certain about this but I would so appreciate it, if you could kindly spare this matter another thought please. Here is my card….in case you change your mind.”

Heung Soo sighed inwardly and hesitated a moment but took the card anyway and put it away in his pocket. He turned towards the door again only to be interrupted by Chris’ hesitant words, “Umm…Heung Soo-ssi….perhaps you have a card too…for me?” Heung Soo turned and looked at the embarrassed face of the younger man and reasoned that it is only good manners to offer him his. He fished in his pocket and took out his wallet. He rarely ever needed to hand out cards but kept a few that were given to him by the mall office with him all the time. He took out one and held it out to Chris. Chris snatched it off like a million dollar lottery ticket and stammered out a thank you. He quickly opened the door for Heung Soo and stood aside. Heung Soo didn’t want to extend his misery so he bowed formally and quickly crossed the lobby to ring for the elevator. Only when he stepped into the elevator and turned around, did he see Chris still standing at the open doorway, looking like a helpless, lost child.

The next morning was as usual for Heung Soo as he did his morning round in the empty mall. Only this time he crossed a window display, stopped and took a few steps back. There he was, in a larger than life poster, dressed in designer garb and thousand dollar shoes, smiling invitingly to the onlookers to follow his style. Heung Soo cast a glance around to make sure that nobody was watching him before he stepped in closer to the display window. He wondered if the surly looking, ill dressed man that he had encountered could indeed clean up to look this enticing on colored paper. He narrowed his eyes and noticed that there was speck on the poster near the corner of his right eye. He shook his head and smirked that even the Universe couldn’t stand the seemingly perfectly pretty face. Because no matter what his fans thought of him, Heung Soo had seen this fashion icon of a man look like a clown in ill-fitting, mismatched clothes and he definitely was far from smiling. He bit his lower lip to keep himself from breaking out in a chuckle over the memory of his encounter with the man, who was the face of high fashion.

Go Nam Soon was certainly not laughing. He was unusually quiet and watchful of his younger brother. While Chris acted like it was business as usual, Go Nam Soon walked on eggshells around him and tried to keep a low profile. He did not even argue when Chris gave him his least favorite breakfast of bland oatmeal without sugar and topped it off with a packed lunch of boiled quinoa with a smallish side of kimchi and a huge salad. He grumbled quietly as he spooned the tasteless mash into his mouth, wondering why he felt like a child being punished just because the nanny had decided to take another job. Unfortunately for him, Chris remained tight lipped and refused to do anything differently except cut down on his sleep. For a week, Go Nam Soon watched him burning the midnight oil in his room as he stood guiltily outside the door, feeling concerned for his overworked younger brother. He had even tried to lend him a helping hand by making his own breakfast but had failed miserably. He had cursed himself as he had looked at the mess he had made. To complete his humiliation Chris had walked in on him as he was cleaning up. He had cleaned up, had fixed his breakfast and packed his lunch before heading out the door to catch his first class. That day, newly determined, Go Nam Soon had gone into his brother’s room and had turned over everything to find that little piece of paper that he was looking for. It took him a solid hour and a half but he found it. He looked at the name on the card and vowed that by hook or by crook he was going to get him to do as Chris wanted.

It was a relatively uneventful day at the mall since it was a weekday and the sun had just set. The female shoppers were headed home to make dinner and spend time with their family. The teenagers hung around after dark mostly to socialize rather than spend money. Groups of them often got up to mischiefs or got into gang related fights at the mall. Heung Soo not only asked his staff to keep an eye on them but also walked around to make his presence felt. He made a formidable figure in his uniform because of his height and build, if not just for his impassive face and steely eyes. He walked past a gaggle of teenage girls who had crowded around a display window, gushing over something in excited chatter and giggling together. Heung Soo walked past them and had to stifle a smile when he noticed that it was a new poster of Go Nam Soon that was up. He looked preppy in this one, what with his collegiate dress code and a stylish sling bag. He finished his round and came back to his windowless office. As soon as he sat down a junior staff member peeped in rather uncertainly. Heung Soo looked up and asked directly, “What’s the matter?” The young man seemed unsure and fidgety but Heung Soo was a patient man and he wanted to give a chance to the new recruit to figure out the words himself. He rested his elbows on his metal desk and waited.

“Well, Chief, you see…you had a few calls…..somebody was calling you…..a man….but he wouldn’t give me his name. Each time I told him that you were out, he simply said that he would call back and hung up. He must have called about 10 times in the last hour. I tried to trace the number but it seems like an unlisted number. I don’t know if it is a prank call or not. I am sorry but I don’t have any more information. But I thought you should know.” He finished nervously. Heung Soo nodded and simply said, “If he calls again, transfer him to me” as he pulled out the file containing timesheets for the week. He was halfway into approving the whole lot when the new recruit came back running to his door, excited and stuttering, “It’s……him, Chief! It is….that man….he sounds angry….impatient may be…..very worked up!”

Unperturbed, Heung Soo calmly put away the file and put the cap back on his pen. His deliberate delay forced the new recruit to pull himself together and only then did he instruct him, “Transfer the call.”

The recruit bowed and ran back to the front desk of the tiny office and much to Heung Soo’s dismay, slammed into it noisily before he managed to clumsily transfer the call to Heung Soo’s line. Heung Soo was more concerned about the future of the new recruit in his present capacity than the identity of his mystery caller. He had barely said his greeting and identified himself in a strictly formal tone, when a clearly annoyed voice barked through the handset at him, “Why is it so difficult to get hold of you? What are you? A celebrity? Do you know how long I have been trying to speak to you? Do you seriously not have a cellphone?”

Heung Soo held the handset a little away from his ear as he tried to recognize the voice. He was not really angry at the rude tone or unfair demands, just irritated. It took a lot to piss Heung Soo off. His temper was like iron. It took a long time to set it afire but once burning, it took equally long to cool down. He waited for the barrage of questions to stop before he calmly answered, “I am sorry but who am I speaking with? And what is this about?”

The voice on the other side went deathly quiet as if in shock. Heung Soo looked up to see the recruit looking on anxiously as if he expected the caller to launch an attack on his Chief through the handset and was ready with reinforcement. Heung Soo gestured to him to go back to manning the front desk as he repeated his question to the angry caller.

“Aigoo! I heard that you are a very sharp man. But I doubt that is true. We met just the other day and spoke. Now you don’t recognize my voice? Look around the mall, you will find my handsome face everywhere. Does that ring a bell?” He almost sounded whiny and hurt.

Heung Soo was a indeed a sharp man, not in the habit of meeting new people every day and definitely not the kind, who feature on the display windows at high end malls. He sat up straight with curiosity without letting his surprise show, “OK. Now I remember” he purposefully left out the name, not sure that his over eager recruit was not eavesdropping outside his door, “What can I do for you?”

“Aisshh! You are right. You are not cut out for this kind of work. No pleasantries exchanged, just cut to chase! We are an artistic lot, we do pleasantries and we definitely use diplomacy and tact” there was an exaggerated sigh on the other side, followed by a cheery rejoinder, “Never mind! I will teach you.”

Heung Soo frowned at the irrelevant monologue and tried to bring the conversation back on track, “I am sorry, I don’t think I understand what you are talking about. Why were you trying to reach me?”

Pat came the reply, “I want to see you. We need to talk. Right now.” There was a quiet threat in that tone.

Heung Soo’s voice took on an edge because he was not used to being ordered about, “I am sorry but that is not possible. I am working and I cannot leave.”

Go Nam Soon was silent for a moment before he softly cajoled, “And I am about to go to work…..a long shift…..12 hours…through the night. So I need to see you now. This cannot wait.”

Heung Soo was feeling a little vexed now at his nagging, “It has to. If you want to see me, you have to wait for me to give you a convenient time.”

There was a sound of a sharp indrawn breath as Heung Soo waited for Go Nam Soon to give up. But his hopes were dashed at the falsely cheery answer, “OK. Have it your way. I am coming into the mall…through the main door! Be prepared to handle the pandemonium that would ensue. I don’t even have any usual entourage with me. I just came by myself because I thought I could meet you privately. So you are responsible for whatever happens from this point on. Don’t tell me later that I didn’t give you a fair warning. You win. You don’t have to leave work. I am coming to see you. In fact, I have a feeling that even if you do not want to see me now, you would have to. How many people are there in your team? I think you should call a quick team meeting and give them a heads up. I have been known to be very ‘approachable’ to my fans, so no mask, no sunglasses. I am coming in wearing my dazzling smile.”

Heung Soo the alarm bells go off in his head, suddenly feeling not so much in control of the conversation, “You are bluffing! You are not here. You guys never travel alone. And you wouldn’t risk being mobbed! The mall is crawling with giddy teenagers. You better not come in here. It would lead to a riot!”

Go Nam Soon smirked as he detected the slight apprehension in the voice of the other man, enjoying a moment of amusement, “So what? You are the security chief, it is your problem. And I am not bluffing. If you don’t believe me, come to the main entrance in…..5 minutes. I am pulling up in a yellow Alfa Romeo right about then. If you are not at the entrance waiting for me, I will have to park my car in the parking lot and come in…which suits me just fine. Your move, Chief.” And then the line went dead.

Heung Soo looked at the handset for a second, not quite sure what to make of it. He quickly turned around to manipulate the cameras overlooking the parking lots which fed into the wall of monitors mounted on one side of his office wall and within half a minute, he managed to pick up a flashy looking imported car cruising lazily behind the mall. As he watched, the car stopped for a moment as if the driver was trying to decide which way to go, then slowly rolled towards a camera mounted on the side of the building. The driver side window rolled down and a hand stuck out, only to brazenly wave at the camera before quickly withdrawing and rolling up the window again. The headlights blinked like the driver was winking in an open challenge. And then it decidedly rolled forward, picking up speed. Heung Soo cursed aloud and jumped up from his chair. He ran past the startled recruit and the front desk. He hit the shiny corridor at a good pace and kept going. Two of his staff members saw him run past them and fell in behind him, thinking he was going to attend a security call.

Heung Soo stopped only to yell at them, “Go back to your beat. I got this. Don’t follow me. Don’t panic. Everything is fine. Trust me.” And then he turned and ran towards the main entrance, dodging tired shoppers, trudging husbands, groups of cackling teenagers and children, who ran around like the passageways were city parks. He quickly cast a glance his watch and increased his speed from a jog to a run. He ran so fast that he shot past the automatic glass doors, scaring the people who were coming in and going out, before he screeched to a halt. He was out of breath and slightly sweaty. He bent over and rested his hands on his knees to catch his breath. He was still in that position when he caught the flash of something yellow come to a stop before him. He straightened his back slowly, still trying to calm down his breathing, when the tinted passenger side glass rolled down to reveal a sweetly smiling face that sold everything from fashion to futon. Heung Soo placed his hands on his hips and waited, wondering why he felt like he wouldn’t mind a blot on his impeccable, crime free record, if only he could punch that smug smile off that pretty face.

The laughing eyes that went with that grinning face only added insult to the injury as their owner sweetly asked, “So, what did you decide? Are you coming in or shall I?”

 

A/N: Sorry but I had to continue the story under a different user name since, for the life of me, I can’t remember the password to my original account and apparently the site administrators can’t help either. And before you ask…..no, my super confident, cocky self, did not put in a recovery email address! Lesson learnt! I hope everybody finds the new thread to the original story and continue to kindly support my efforts with encouraging words and votes. Let me know what you think….good…bad…meh…whatever is on your mind. This is my first attempt at B/L so I will likely falter a bit. So reader input is much appreciated.