trust me, hold my hand

tell me (what is love)

Kyungsoo has never been more stressed in his entire life. He tried to balance school and work, but since the basketball matches are in the worst times possible, he feels like a living dead. People thought being a bench staff was easy, but Kyungsoo knew. Working ‘till the late at night, cleaning, running around all the time… It was so tiring that when he arrived home, he would fall asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow. School wasn’t making things easier. Constant projects made Kyungsoo restless. To top that, he had to train three times a week.

Wednesday arrives and Kyungsoo leaves home early. He wants to fix his first impression on Jongin. Instructions he gave are clear so Kyungsoo finds the gym rather quickly. He’s greeted by an empty field and he feels relieved. He quickly goes to the changing room and exits to find Jongin right in front of him. It seems he brought lots of different things they can work with, judging by how full the taller man’s hands are. Kyungsoo can’t help but smile.

Jongin hands him half of the materials he brought. “Why don’t you head out first? I’ll be there in a sec.” he says, eyes gentle. Kyungsoo nods without hesitation and watches his back before he slowly carries the equipment back to the field.

After Jongin arrives they sit down and talk about the program he had prepared. Kyungsoo’s impressed by how fast the star player has come up with a very detailed training plan, which reminds him why he admired the taller man so much. He likes the way how Jongin knits his brows when he’s concentrating and how determined he looks whenever basketball is mentioned. It’s not late until he realizes he’s openly staring at Jongin and he blushes when the said man raises his head. Kyungsoo understands he’s expecting some kind of answer, probably to the question he had asked a while from now that he missed while staring.

Jongin raises a brow. “Are you okay?” The smaller man nods furiously and fans to his face with his hands. “Is it too hot in this gym or is it just me?”

The star player shakes his head in agreement. “The air conditioning broke a few months ago. I don’t think they fixed it yet.” Kyungsoo thanks the gods for the other man’s oblivion. This whole training thing is going to be harder than he anticipated. Pun intended.

/// ///

First day of practice goes smoother than Jongin expects. His student learns moves rather quickly but is out of shape. He wheezes and lays on the ground, out of breath after he runs just a couple of laps around the field. They have a lot to work on that part. His hands are small but he’s good when it comes to foul shots. His fragile looking wrists prove to be stronger than they look.

The gym really is hot, just as Kyungsoo stated before, and by the end of practice both of them are sweaty. Jongin reaches to fix his student’s soaked hair and congratulate his amazing shot just now. The smaller man is panting and a drop of sweat can be trailed down to the collar of his shirt. The color of his cheeks are much redder and Jongin can’t help but stare a while. Big doe-like eyes shot up, startled from the unexpected touch. “That was one of your best shot. I’m impressed.”

Kyungsoo gets redder, if such a thing is possible. Jongin decides he likes this color a bit more. They sit on the floor for a break and chug down some water. The smaller man looks tired but his eyes say he wants keep on practicing. Jongin gets up after a few minutes and extends a hand for Kyungsoo to get up.

Right before Jongin starts to explain the next move they’re about to train on, they hear a loud thud in the direction of the gym’s entrance. They both turn their heads with the noise. After a short while they can hear more crashing and someone cursing at the door. Finally, someone with blonde hair and a slender, moody face appears behind the door.

“Jongin, for the love of God, what are you still doing in this hole? I can’t even open the goddamn door! The whole place is about to fall apart!” Jongin sees, from the corner of his eye, that Kyungsoo chuckles quietly. He hopes his friend doesn’t see it, he really can’t have him complaining all day.

“Hi, yes, I’m fine too Sehun, thanks for asking.” Sehun huffs loudly.

“Yeah, whatever. I come here, to this dump, just to give you some news and this is how you treat me? I’m hurt.” The star player rolls his eyes.

“You could’ve just called.” It’s now Sehun’s turn to roll his.

“You think I didn’t try? You weren’t answering.” He eyed the shorter male, which he just has noticed. He tilts his head curiously. “I don’t think we met. I’m Oh Sehun.” He flashes his famous smile which is the reason why everyone puts up with his bratty behaviors.

Kyungsoo kindly returns his smile and gives a nod. “Nice to meet you, I’m Do Kyungsoo.” Sehun makes a fake crying face while putting one hand on his heart.

“I can’t believe my Jonginnie finally found a nice friend. Maybe learn a thing or two, huh?” Jongin smacks his head but Sehun runs away just in time.

“Look who’s talking, idiot. Now, say what you have to and leave. We’re in middle of a practice.” He crosses his arms waiting him to spill whatever news he had.

“Geez, what a mood killer. Fine, fine. Coach wanted me to say the next match is delayed because of some political mess between clubs. It’ll be around three weeks later.” Jongin can feel disappointment bubbling up in his chest. Now he has to wait for a whole month? He can’t stop a sigh from escaping his lips. Sehun throws an arm around his shoulders.

“C’mon don’t look so sad! Hey, on the bright side, you guys can practice more, right? You will technically still be playing basketball.” No matter how much of a brat Sehun can be, he knows Jongin when it comes to basketball. The taller notices Kyungsoo shyly approaching them.

“Uh, when exactly is it? You know, I’m one of the bench staff, so…” Sehun suddenly snaps his fingers.

“Aha! That’s where I know you from! I knew I saw you somewhere…” The blonde sees Jongin glaring. “Next month, Saturday.” Kyungsoo nods thoughtfully.

Sehun teases Jongin a little more, earning more glares from the latter. In the end he gets kicked out from the gym after Jongin decides they need to keep on practicing.

After an hour, they’re both exhausted and sweatier than ever, so they call it a day. On the way to the changing room a comfortable silence hangs between them. Kyungsoo is the first one to break it.

“You really like basketball, huh?” The taller lifts a brow. “I mean, you looked pretty upset when Sehun told you the match was delayed.” He hums in understanding.

“It’s just… I don’t have a lot of things to do other than basketball so…” He can’t help but avert his eyes. “It gets lonely.” He lifts his gaze when Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything and their eyes lock. His brows are knitted and he looks sad. Jongin doesn’t want that.

They don’t talk until they arrive and change their clothes. When the gym’s door closes behind them, Jongin turns his body to Kyungsoo.

“You did really well today.” He saw the boy’s lips curve and form a pretty smile. It reminded him of a heart. “You’re wrists are strong and your stance is improving really fast. We just need to work a little more on stamina. Sadly, you need to run. A lot.” Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head sheepishly with a small ‘yeah’.

“I-uh…” Kyungsoo clears his throat. “I thought maybe, you know, if something comes up and you or me can’t make it to the practice, we have to tell each other someway right? Should we exchange numbers?” Jongin really adored this nervous Kyungsoo more than he would like to admit. “Yeah, sure.”

After ringing the smiling male’s phone Jongin pocketed his phone and gave a small nod.

“See you Saturday, Kyungsoo.” Another smile bloomed.

“See you Jongin.”

 

a/n: so!!!!!! much!!!!!! dialogue!!!!!! wow!!!!!!!!!! our boys are opening up ;-----) this was just a small part where jongin is a little bit more comfortable with ksoo. things will develop a little faster after this and we’ll meet more characters c: it’s been a long time since i posted and i sincerely apologize for this delay. school killed my creativity and will to write but since i’m on a winter break i feel much better. dunno when the new chapter will come but i will do my best to write asap :3 also feel free to tell me my mistakes and please comment! thank you for the support <3