Ventisette

Finalmente

“Mom,” Moonbyul called out, sliding the half of her body on the small opening of the door while she grips on the metal door knob. The woman, wearing her eyeglasses that’s been sitting on the bridge of her nose just slightly lower, looked up. And Moonbyul could see a small smile trying to escape on the older woman’s lips, her eyes are somehow smiling too.

“Come in, Byul.” Her mother acknowledged her, putting her glasses down and immediately putting down the folder that she’s been reviewing, it’s a profile of one of her patients and tucking it on the lower part of her drawer. Moonbyul smiled so cheerfully but she stayed to where she was, and her mother just looked at her in raised brow.

“Oh, um… “ Moonbyul trailed, smoothing her white blazer then awkwardly scratching her head. Moonbyul is still wearing her uniform, the glorious pure white uniform of a med student with those shiny black shoes with her ash blonde hair flowing freely and it’s making everyone swoon over her. The guys were always looking at her and the girls have never been this gay in her department. And Solar is so aware of this and she’s so close pick everyone’s eyes that’s been ogling over her girlfriend with a fencing sword.

 “I’m just here to give you something.” She said, opening the door more and that’s when a nervous Solar came in. The idol smiled but the corners of her lips are twitching, she can’t even smile properly due to her nervousness. Solar’s holding a medium-sized box with a pastel colored ribbon.

Mrs. Choi tilted her head and stands up to greet the two, she’s not expecting Solar to visit.

“Good afternoon, Mrs. Choi,” Solar greeted calmly, and then giving a side glance to Moonbyul, “I just came by to give this little cake, uh…just a little sweet for you. Yuju said she loves salted-caramel flavored cake and that it’s your family’s favorite, then I thought of giving you this also.” Solar mumbled so fastly and gulped once she’s finished, amusing Moonbyul and her mother.

Solar could feel Moonbyul’s eyes on her, and she reciprocated by giving another side glance to her girlfriend.

Don’t judge me, Moonbyul. Shut up.

That’s what Solar was thinking and Moonbyul chortles, somehow getting the message.

“She made it, Mom.” Moonbyul butted in, earning a pinch from her side.

“I told you not to say it,” Solar hissed, “It’s embarrassing.”

And there goes a little banter from the couple, and Moonbyul’s mother is just watching them. It’s like the two is like warped in their own world, again, just like what they always do when they’re together. But Hwayoung somehow liked it when her daughter and Solar do that, because she felt like they’re really paying attention to each other and that feels nice when someone just really appreciate you, isn’t it?

“You made it, Yongsun?” Hwayoung managed to say and that made the couple to stop their little argument. Solar immediately stop talking and nodded her head.

“Yes, Mrs. Choi.” She started, “But I didn’t really make it by myself, we have a friend who owns this quaint café down the street and I somehow help her making it. So, I just partly made it. Don’t listen to Moonbyul, I didn’t fully make it.” She stops midway, because she’s just explaining the same thing over again. Damn it, she’s never been this disoriented, but well, it’s Moonbyul’s mother she’s talking to. As she said, don’t judge her.

But the high strung she’s feeling dissipates when Hwayoung’s small smile appeared, she unconsciously sighed in relief and that’s when she felt Moonbyul’s arm snakes around her back. Double comfort she feels.

“Thank you, Yongsun.” Hwayoung said, while Solar was holding out the box to her, which she gladly accepts. Grandma Moon was right, Solar is not that hard to like. The girl has a lot of charms and she will do anything to win you no matter what the cost is. With all the effort she’s giving, she’s just hoping she will not get tired to be with Moonbyul.

“Oh, it’s nothing Mrs. Choi.” Solar mumbled quietly. But she smiled when she looks up at Moonbyul who mouthed ‘told you’.

“I’ll eat this with Yuju when she comes home later, she will love this.” Hwayoung slowly puts the box down on her table and Solar nodded in response.

“You should eat well too, okay?” Moonbyul advised to her mother, as she observed her mother’s body is slightly getting lighter than it looks and she looks like she’s under a lot of stress. By what? She wonders, too.

“Yes, Byul. Don’t you worry about me, worry about yourself and your studies. Don’t slack off, Director Kwon said you’re always tardy on your first subjects.” Hwayoung’s voice was stern, almost back to the old grumpy Choi’s devilish cold voice.

Moonbyul opens to retaliate but she closes it again remembering the times she’s already thirty minutes late on her first subjects. She wants to explain, but what will she tell her mother? Oh, because Solar’s all over her and she can’t just resist the temptation. No one can resist Kim Yongsun in an oversized white shirt, silky hair dangling over her shoulders while biting her lips and she’s looking at you.

No one.

“I will do well, Mom.” Moonbyul said in a quiet tone, and she could feel her face heating. Damn, she’s thinking about the y Yongsun.

While on the other hand, Solar was trying so hard not to grin, she knows what Moonbyul was thinking.

Mrs. Choi just sighed, she’s calming herself. She’s trying not to get angry or anything, and she knew this is the first step to make everything anew in her life and her family. For her mother. She needs to manage her temper.

“You should, Byul.” Now, a more concern voice was heard from Moonbyul’s mother and the latter almost didn’t recognize it but she’s more relieved than ever.

Moonbyul nodded and just sighed, “Well, we’re not going to disturb you anymore. Yongsun and I will go now, okay?” She stepped forward to kiss her mother’s cheek and the reluctant Solar on the side awkwardly hugged Mrs. Choi.

“Take care, you two.” Hwayoung said, putting her glasses on once more and waved her goodbye.

Once outside the room, the couple walked silently side by side, Solar clutching her handbag behind her while Moonbyul’s hands are on her pockets. Solar’s humming happily while walking and Moonbyul listens to her, she loves this kind of moments.

“Hey, wanna have a date?” Moonbyul asked.

“What? I thought you’re still going to class?” Solar answered, hooking her arms to the other, like a sloth hanging to a tree.

“Yep, but look here,” The blonde pointed at something with her chin, and Solar saw it. It was a big, blue, with a huge glass in front and lots of choices from different coffees to sodas. It’s a magical vendo machine.

Moonbyul chuckled at Solar’s amused face.

“Come on,” She grabbed one of Solar’s hand firmly and dragged the girl towards the inviting big and blue magical box, “I call this a vendo date.”

“Yah! Did you bring any other girls into your ‘vendo date’?” Solar hits Moonbyul’s shoulder but the latter just scoffs.

“No, goodness Yongsun, you’re the first woman in this vendo date.” Moonbyul calmly confirmed, and it’s not long till they’re in front of it. Solar managed to smile secretly and it got wider when she saw how Moonbyul’s face glitters in excitement when she touch the glass as if she’s longing for it.

After putting coins and selecting from the wide options of beverages, both of them sits on one of the hospitals bench where people can rest their tired heart from everything they’ve been going through, especially in a hospital like this.

Sipping their hot sweet coffee carefully, Moonbyul crossed her leg and looked over to Solar, “Are you happy with your coffee?”

Solar pretends to think deep but she later on laughs, “Not bad, love. I approved this vendo date that you insisted to call. But are you sure I’m the first woman to have this date with you? You seem to know a lot about this.” Solar joked sipping her coffee again.

“What? Of course, love. First and last. I’m afraid to lose you, don’t you know? Because without you, I’m like a squirrel without her walnut.” Moonbyul casually said, oblivious to the melting Solar beside her.

Solar made a small squealing sound, it sounds silly too in Moonbyul’s ears but who cares. The brunette just pinched her cheeks repeatedly, still, making those noises that Moonbyul don’t mind.

“Goddamn, cheesy Moonbyul strikes again.” The idol laughed pushing Moonbyul, and the latter almost drop her warm coffee from her hand.

“But it’s true!” Moonbyul protested and both of them laughed heartily while Solar occasionally throwing punches and pinches, oh typical Solar.

A siren from an ambulance interrupted their laughter, as they’re close at the emergency department they could partially hear on what was going on. Moonbyul sits up carefully trying to see what was going on, but she couldn’t until a woman’s voice paged her mother’s name which could be heard around the hospital and that she’s wanted on the emergency department immediately.

“Byul,” Solar worriedly called out, grabbing Moonbyul’s arm. She doesn’t know, but why does she have a feeling that it’s something…bad.

Moonbyul  instantly left the half-filled cup of coffee and Solar did the same, and strides towards the commotion going on inside the emergency room. And Solar’s heart broke when she saw a crying Umji on the side while a nurse was holding her body preventing the little girl to get inside the room where she saw an unconscious Grandma Moon.

At once, she went to the crying girl, scooping her in her arms and hushing her. She looked over to Moonbyul and the girl was already on the bedside putting something on Grandma Moon’s finger and something on her chest.

Mrs. Choi and another doctor were in there too, discussing calmly but alertly regarding the interventions they needed to do, the nurses are getting the fluid ready to infuse while Moonbyul and a senior doctor were busy assessing the neurological status of the patient.

And that’s when it hits Solar, she felt teary while she carries a poor Umji in her arms, she felt helpless that all she can do was pray.

“Grandma!” Umji thrashed, and it Solar’s heart is broken into more pieces.

“Wake up, Grandma.” Solar mumbled, but it turns into a chant while she blinks away the tears, “Wake up.”

But Grandma Moon isn’t waking up.

--

Yuju barged in the room, her entirety was disheveled but she doesn’t care, she went right away to her grandma that’s been lying unconsciously for some time now after she was rushed into the hospital couple of hours earlier.

She almost choked and thrashed just like what Umji did earlier, but she controlled herself as she just hugs her loving grandma on her bed. Their grandma’s stable for now, but her body’s weak. After series of explanation Hwayoung did to Moonbyul about her grandma’s condition, the latter was left helpless too and somehow in denial. What more for Yuju? A lot to take in.

Solar held Moonbyul in her arms while they were sitting just beside the bed where Grandma Moon was lying. Umji refuses to let go of her Grandma Moon and ended up sleeping on the bed, Yuju drapes the blanket higher to wrap the fragile body of the little girl.

“Unnie,” Yuju turned to look at her sister, and Moonbyul snaps from her thoughts and looks at her. Yuju sighed, she can tell her sister’s been tired, stressed and worn out. “Go home and sleep, I’ll take care of grandma.”

Moonbyul was about to argue but Yuju gave Solar a look and the latter immediately knew. Solar tugs her girlfriend’s arm and it grabs Moonbyul’s attention, and Solar just smiled so genuinely and carefully.

“Mom will be here soon too, You and Yongsun-unnie could come back tomorrow. And we’ll take care of Umji here. Don’t worry.” Yuju urged on.

With a one last look to her grandma, Moonbyul nodded. She stands up, giving her grandma a kiss on her forehead and Solar hugs Yuju tightly. The couple bids their goodbye and they left with their heavy heart.

The car ride was silent, even on their way to their apartment. Solar just held Moonbyul’s hand all throughout. She may not know what to say but through simple gestures, she wants Moonbyul to know that she’s here and will never leave.

As Solar locks their door, she’s staring and observing Moonbyul’s action. Moonbyul tiredly takes off her coat and shoes and made a beeline towards their kitchen. Solar was left alone in the doorway, putting back Moonbyul’s shoes on the rack and she went to where her unhappy girlfriend went.

She saw a Moonbyul sitting and staring at nothing while a glass of water in front of her, she felt her chest constricting at the sight. She stands beside Moonbyul and the latter slightly flinches.

Solar cups Moonbyul’s cheeks and forces the blonde to look at her. She wipes Moonbyul’s tired eyes, caresses her pale cheeks, and kisses her red yet weary lips. Solar ghosted her lips over Moonbyul’s and she felt the blonde’s arms wrapped around her waist.

“Thank you,” Moonbyul whispered, “for being here.”

Solar saw how Moonbyul’s eye blinks slowly, and how sleepy they are.

“Always here, Byul…we pinky promise, remember?” Solar beams, tracing Moonbyul’s nose bridge.

But an unexpected sob came out from Moonbyul’s lips, her chest rising unevenly, and tears finally fell. It dawned to Solar how Moonbyul’s being strong today, kept herself from crying so that she could take care of others, her family.

Solar didn’t hush her, instead she pulls Moonbyul’s head closer to her, cradling it while the blonde cried quietly in her arms. While Solar’s caressing Moonbyul’s hair, the constriction in her chest tightens, she clenched her teeth. If only she could do something miraculous right now.

But Solar did something miraculous today…she kept Moonbyul sane and safe. Like how it should be.

 

 

--

Hey! I'm alive! Hahaha.

Hiiiiiiii

I'm sorry I took too long! I know it has been over a month. (hush haha) And I know this is a bit short update (don't get mad, pweasee)

I've been catching up about Mamamoo's activities just now. omygod. The concert and all. 

Thank you for waiting patiently, i'm reading all your comments. (yep, reading all of them now) 

It's just that i've been busy. Don't worry, we will be seeing a happy moonsun sooooon!

And as always, thank you thank you thank youu. 

For all the new readers, hi! welcome! You;re a bit late for the party. (Jk)

Muah! Don't worry next update will be around next week! Promise!

Leave a comment~~~~~