Don't Take My Sunshine Away

When Skies Are Gray

Dragging their bags behind them, the hotel guests turned the corner and ran right into Chanyeol’s long legs. He was quick to fold them up into an awkwardly pointy pretzel while Junmyeon looked appropriately sheepish and apologized for them both.

“Sorry about that,” he said, holding up his book and smiling almost shyly. “Just trying to get some ‘us’ time in while the kids are asleep.”

The couple who’d almost run over Chanyeol’s legs seemed to understand this sentiment. They smiled back and the wife said, “Ours are almost grown now, but we get it. How old are yours?”

To her surprise, Chanyeol’s eyes got suddenly misty and he looked ready to cry. Still he was smiling, and again Junmyeon spoke for them both when he answered, “Babies still, but just adopted. This is actually our pit stop to taking them home.”

At that the woman seemed almost ready to join Chanyeol in his tears of joy. Her husband wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close.

“Congratulations,” he told them. “You’re doing a wonderful thing.”

Chanyeol and Junmyeon smiled at one another and Junmyeon leaned over a little to rest his head on his husband’s shoulder. “We think so too,” he agreed.

Chanyeol hummed his happiness into Junmyeon’s hair as the couple wished them luck and waved goodbye before taking off down the hall for their hotel room.

“Things are going to be so different, Myeon,” Chanyeol murmured, still somewhat overcome.

Junmyeon nodded against Chanyeol’s shoulder. “But good different,” he said. “We need Jongdae and Sehun as much as they need us.” He thought of tiny Jongdae’s penchant for making the lights blink out, and the way Sehun’s toys would whirl in angry little cyclones whenever he was upset.

Chanyeol, ever in tune with his husband’s heart, thought too of Junmyeon’s easy way with water and his own effortless control over flame.

“It’s like we were made for each other,” he concluded, returning his attention to his book even as Junmyeon snuggled closer and his eyes fluttered shut.

“Exactly,” Junmyeon whispered, nearly asleep. “Exactly.”