So Please

When Skies Are Gray

Jongdae was nervous as he looked out the window to see Yifan directly in front of him, waving. He cleared his throat once and the gray clouds which had been gathering for the past hour crackled ominously as he gestured frantically for Yifan to get out of the sky and to use the door like a normal person.

Of course, Yifan going to the door and ringing the doorbell meant he’d probably run into one or both of Jongdae’s parents. This would be fine on a normal day, but Jongdae knew for a fact that the reason for Yifan’s visit was anything but normal.

“Dae,” Chanyeol called from the foot of the stairs. “There’s someone at the door for you.”

As Jongdae rushed down the steps he heard his appa, Junmyeon, quietly chide Chanyeol for not inviting Yifan in.

“The poor boy’s probably already soaked to the bone,” Junmyeon murmured. “It’s coming down pretty hard out there.”

They all knew Jongdae was at least partially responsible for the inclement weather, but when he appeared, breathless and red in the face, Junmyeon merely smiled at his son and waved a hand in Yifan’s direction. The gesture was two-fold: it simultaneously showed Jongdae where his friend was waiting and dried Yifan from any rainwater that had soaked him while he’d been outside.

Chanyeol grinned and pulled his husband into a side-arm hug. “You’re so talented,” he complimented, gaze and tone loving.

Junmyeon blushed but let Chanyeol peck the top of his head before they both turned to their elder son and his guest.

“It’s nice to see you again, Wufan,” Junmyeon greeted, still tucked neatly into Chanyeol’s side.

“Yifan,” Jongdae hissed the correction, clearly mortified.

The young man in question colored at the mistake but remained silent--whether out of respect or fear, Jongdae’s parents weren’t quite sure.

Chanyeol’s boisterous personality filled the awkward silence in an instant. “Ah, yes,” he said cheerfully, “Yifan. You’re Dae’s friend from school, right?”

Just as Jongdae nodded and Yifan opened his mouth to finally speak, Sehun, Kyungsoo in tow, slinked in from the kitchen. “I think you mean boyfriend,” he teased, his usually flat expression replaced with a rare smirk.

Jongdae’s shriek was immediate and indignant; if not for Yifan’s strong grip on the smaller’s forearms, Jongdae would likely have taken Sehun down.

“Boys,” Junmyeon interceded as well, privately impressed with Yifan’s ability to calm Jongdae down. Despite the storm raging outside and Jongdae’s display of anger, they hadn’t had a blackout yet; this was a victory in itself and Junmyeon decided that if Sehun was right and Yifan really did want to be Jongdae’s boyfriend, then he certainly didn’t mind.

Chanyeol, it seemed, agreed with his husband, even though Junmyeon hadn’t voiced his thoughts aloud. “Boyfriend, huh?” He smiled widely and rested his chin on the top of Junmyeon’s head. When Yifan gulped, but nodded and slid his hand down Jongdae’s arm until their fingers were tangled together, Chanyeol continued.

“Well we still have power,” he joked as Jongdae covered his face and groaned. “So you’ve got that going for you.” To his credit Yifan merely looked amused and didn’t actually laugh aloud like Sehun did. That gained him points in Chanyeol and Junmyeon’s books too. “And you didn’t freak out when Jongdae’s Appa here dried you off,” Chanyeol gestured to his husband as he spoke and Junmyeon smiled up at him.

“No sir,” Yifan spoke, for the first time since he’d arrived at the front door and asked politely to see Jongdae. He looked like he was going to say more but Jongdae interrupted before he could.

“Yifan can fly. He’s like us, Dad,” Jongdae sighed heavily. He seemed quite ready to escape this conversation. “Gifted.”

Sehun chortled. He leaned over to Kyungsoo, who blushed when Sehun whispered loudly “Yeah, gifted with his hands.”

The lights flickered overhead. Jongdae looked positively murderous while the tips of Yifan’s ears tinted pink. Kyungsoo suddenly discovered a sense of self-preservation on both his and Sehun’s behalf and dragged his boyfriend out of the room. This left Jongdae standing next to Yifan and across from Chanyeol and Junmyeon; Yifan bowed then and finally said, “I’d like permission to date your son, sirs.”

Jongdae’s blush was bright, even under the still-flickering lights of their front hall, but he looked happy and nodded furiously when Junmyeon looked at him to make sure this was okay.

Chanyeol caught the exchange and directed his warm smile to Yifan while Junmyeon answered for both of them.

“If he wants to date you, we’re more than happy to give our permission.”

Yifan looked relieved, and Jongdae sort of did too. He later told his parents that Yifan had been super nervous since he was originally from China and worried that he’d accidently get his conjugations wrong and say something rude in Korean. Junmyeon laughed and Chanyeol joked that Sehun’s rudeness had been more than enough. The younger shrugged indignantly and replied that he couldn’t help himself.

“Hyung’s boyfriend is just so awkward. It’s hilarious,” he teased. Jongdae growled and immediately the lights blinked out. When Sehun let out an unmanly shriek of terror a few seconds later, neither Junmyeon nor Chanyeol was particularly surprised.