Final Beat

Heartful Days

He shot up from his sleeping position. Eyes wide and staring daggers into his own hands. He moved them. He gulped. And swallowed air sharply. He looked up at the face. The doctor.

"What is the meaning of this?" He croaked out dryly. His throat felt sore. The doctor's face looked pained.

"This is what it is. What she wanted," the doctor replied while avoiding his gaze. His breathing picked up and he grabbed the doctor's coat.

"What do you mean? I.... I signed... what.... no...," he whispered, unable to register what the doctor was saying. He breathed out. Frustration building up within him.

"She's gone." He glared at the doctor and grabbed his collar, pulling him closer.

"What the hell do you mean by that?! She can't be! You were supposed to save her!!! Why am I still alive?!!! WHY?!!" He yelled and then coughed. He gasped for air as he felt tears flowing out instantly. His heart felt like they had been smashed to pieces. He let go of the doctor and wiped his overflowing tears. He didn't want to be this shameful. Crying. But he couldn't hold it in either.

"I'm sorry. She planned everything and gave me her reasons. I... As a doctor, I couldn't reject her."

"But why... why...," he wailed softly and clutched his chest.

"You were the one with the heart disease... She did what she could to save you. She tried finding for donors but there were none. She did tests on herself to make sure her own heart is healthy enough for you. She wanted you to live even if it meant not being able to be with you anymore. Your future was more worthwhile to her than her own life," the doctor explained while chewing his own lips, preventing the threatening tears to spill as well.

"No... no. No...," he muttered under his breath. His heart or more exact, her heart clenched tightly. He let out soft sobs.

"I'm sorry. I really am."

###

3 days after he had managed to calm down and slowly digest the fact that he would have died in another month if it wasn't for the transplant, the nurse came into his room with a letter.

"Here. She gave this to me to keep before we went along with the plan," the nurse said while handing him the letter. He took it and opened it. He read the contents silently and his mind went blank. He couldn't think for a moment.

All these while had just been a setup. The days she left home to find a heart donor. Her silent prayers for him at the temple. The meetings with the doctor. Everything was carefully thought out and went with. Even the fact that he would have donated his heart to save her. The signature. Documents. Everything.

"..."

###

4 months passed since then. He continued working hard with music as she had wanted him to. He was even going to have a performance if he was able to make the deadline for another pending work. It took things off his mind as he pushed himself to do his work. Kyu Jong gave him a call once in awhile to check on him or just talk. He was grateful since he had gotten quite lonesome, being the only one at home.

Sometimes, he would forget she wasn't there anymore and walk around finding for her. He would go to the bridge countless times to remember her presence. He was going through his clothes when he picked out a certain coat that caught his attention. It was the coat when they had went out shopping. He put his hand into the pocket and pulled out the box that was still there. He held his own arm and everything within him halted. He shut his eyes tightly and waited for these feelings to calm down.

He opened them again when he felt he will face reality. He opened the box and stared gloomily at the pair of ring inside. The glistening color. He had bought the rings on impulse since they had both loved it. He put them on the table and stared at them for awhile.

"I guess it's of no use now.... If only I had proposed the other time... but I had no rings... What am I thinking....,"he sighed and closed the box.

###

He was warming his hands. The weather was chilly and it was dark out. He sat on the bridge like any other days but this time, he felt a tingling sensation within his chest when he felt a hand tapped his shoulder. He turned in surprise.

"Hey. I thought you would be here." His widened eyes went back to normal.

"You gave me a shock there."

"Sorry," the doctor said as he leaned against the bridge. "I heard about your performance. Guess what?" Kyu Jong looked at him with anticipation as he held up a ticket.

"You're attending?" He asked and the other nodded. "What about work?"

"I can make it if there's no emergency calls," he said with a smile. "Plus I'm sure she would have definitely attended if she's here. She did ask me to keep an eye out for you since you're a lonely kid."

He frowned but had to agree silently. He wasn't really good at making friends and he was always quiet which made him difficult to approach. He was lucky she talked to him first.

"Thanks, I guess. Hope you will enjoy it."

"Oh another thing. I checked your schedule with your director and it's pretty cleared up after the performances."

"What about it?" The other pulled out two more tickets and placed one onto his hand. He stared at the white paper.

"She wanted to go there.... well with you of course. But since she can't... I thought maybe I could go with you instead. I'm not trying to replace her or anything but overworking isn't good too." He stared at the ticket as the word Paris came into view.

"You're kidding me?" He whispered and the doctor shook his head.

"I've taken care of most of the things. You just have to meet me at the airport," Kyu Jong said seriously. He let out a dry laugh and looked at the other.

"You're taking this way too serious but thank you. Don't you have someone else to go with?" He asked. The doctor shrugged.

"I've to say. I'm quite similar to you... I don't have many friends. I hope you won't mind being friends with me?"

"I thought we were already friends. I'll go to Paris. I want to see all there is to see and fulfill her words." Kyu Jong smiled and Young Saeng smiled too. He felt like he could live forever now. With her heart within him.

"She's happy you're alive."

"I know. I'm grateful I'm alive for her too. Or else I wouldn't be able to live with myself." He closed his eyes.

When he opened them, he could see her smile.

Forever shining at him.

-Fine-