Middle Beat

Heartful Days

They were chatting happily about future events that they would love to do together like snowboarding, bungee jumping and other rather extreme courses. He smiled when she smiled. Everything seemed so beautiful. Time seemed to have stopped for them as they talked their time away.

"And I was also think- Woah....," her sentence got interrupted as she placed a hand on the window. He turned around to see what amazed her. White fluffy snow had started falling from the sky and covered the ground. He held her cold fingers and intertwined them with his own.

"It's beautiful," he said softly and she nodded.

"Want to go out and play once it's piled up?" She asked cheerfully. He grinned at her childishness but agreed either ways.

###

He was walking back home with smiling eyes and an excited heart. He got the approval for his song and he couldn't wait to tell her about it. He saw a phone booth nearby and wondered if he should give her a call first just in case she wasn't home. His phone vibrated on the other hand and he saw her caller ID. He picked it up.

"Babe? I've got good news. Where are you?" He asked with a jumpy enthusiastic tone but was replied with an unfamiliar voice.

"Is this Mr. Young Saeng?" The tensed voice asked and it made stop in his tracks.

"W-who is this?" He stuttered, a bad feeling crept into his guts.

"Don't panic. I'm Dr. Kyu Jong from X Hospital. I would like to know if you could come down here at once. She's waiting for you," the person said.

"What happened?"

"I'll tell you after you come here." His heart dropped so did the file in his hand. He started running towards the hospital. His heartbeat could be heard in his own ears. Surely nothing terrible happened right? His chest hurt as he ran but he ignored it as going to the hospital became his priority. He didn't stop even when his lungs screamed for air. He just needed to see her now.

###

"Mr. Young Saeng. It's good to meet you. As I said before, I'm Dr. Kyu Jong and I'm about to tell you about your.... girlfriend's condition." He nodded with anticipation. His breathing hadn't calmed down and he felt his pulse almost palpilating.

"She has a chronic heart disease it seems and we need to do heart surgery so that she can survive this. You will be the only one who knows this. It's up to you if you want to tell but the choices given might not go towards your own favour so decide well," the doctor explained and he felt his heart sink. His hands shook at what he heard.

"How long- how... How much longer can she live?" He choked his words out and blinked back the developing tears.

"Approximately 3 days before her heart dies off." He clenched his own chest and felt the thumping feeling.

"Are there no heart donors?"

"Unfortunately, there are none currently. And there are a few stored but they do not have the same blood type as her, making it almost impossible for us to do the surgery as much as we hope to." He stared into the doctor's eyes.

"What about me? I-i have the same blood type as her. You can take my heart. Save her. Please," he said while grabbing hold of the doctor's arms. The doctor tensed.

"Calm down. Of course, that is one choice you can make. But you have to think of her feelings too."

"Where is she? Let me see her," he said while getting up impatiently. The doctor led the way and the moment he saw her, his body moved and hands outstretched to hold hers.

"I'm here. Are you okay?" He asked. She smiled at him and nodded.

"I'm okay. I just feel tired," She said. His heart fell as he see her smile brightly. He didn't have the courage to tell her about what the doctor had said. His heart clenched again as though it was telling him that it was here. And it could save her. He gulped.

"What's wrong?" She asked while patting his head. He shook his head and smiled grimly. He clasped her hand tightly.

"You know I love you, right?" He asked and she chuckled.

"Of course, silly. I love you too," She replied while kissing him on his forehead. He gave her a kiss on her lips and then cheek and lastly forehead.

"I'll go do some paperwork and we will be out of here soon," he said half heartedly and she nodded. The moment he stepped out from the room, he grabbed the doctor's arm.

"Just.... just take it. I don't care if I have to die. Don't let her die, please. I can't let her die," he wailed softly while letting his held back tears free. The doctor looked away and nodded.

"If you have made up your mind. I'll do it." He squatted down and cried. And cried. And cried. Everything came crashing on him. He didn't know what to expect or how to handle. He was so so happy just a couple of minutes ago and now he was a crying mess. His life took a 360 degree turn and it pained him so badly. All those happy days seemed almost dreadful in this decisive minute. Her smile. He wanted to remember it forever. Her voice. He wanted to hear it forever. Her eyes. He wanted to see them forever. And her. He wanted to live with her forever.

The doctor gave him some space before helping him into the office they were in earlier. He took out some papers and without hesitation, he signed them all and filled up whatever information was needed. The doctor seemed disturbed at his eagerness but it went unnoticed to him. He could only focus on this.

"When do you want to do it?" The doctor asked in the silence.

"Now? If I spend any more time... I might not want to leave her side as much as I don't want her to leave mine," he said. The doctor nodded.

"I'll go over these documents with her. The nurse will bring you to the operating room...unless... Do you... want to see her one last time?" He nodded slightly and they got up to her room again. He entered and he watched as her eyes lit up at the sight of him. He smiled and she returned it with a smile too.

"Say... where do you want to go the most?" He asked while sitting beside her. She gave it a thought.

"Paris? It's clichéd and all but it's a beautiful place," She replied with a grin. "What about you?"

"Me? Wherever you are," he said truthfully and she giggled.

"Cheesy. The doctor is looking you know."

"Don't mind me," the doctor said while clearing his throat.

"We'll go Paris. Definitely." He caressed her hands lovingly. He thought about the things they talked about yesterday, the day before and all the other days too. He enjoyed every moment of his life with her. Even on the days it seemed like they would break apart. They held on to each other tightly. He slid her hair away from her face and took a long look. She smiled and stared back at him too. He didn't want to regret these few moments that he had left. If he had dragged it on and went home with her, he might not be able to bring himself to part with her, knowing that he won't ever wake up to her sweet smile again.

"I'll see you in a bit. I love you, "he said while slowly standing up, taking in all of her features once again. He kissed her on her forehead and lips again before stepping back.

"I love you too, Young Saeng." One last look and he turned away. The doctor took it as a hint and started going through the documents with her as he quickly went out. There was a nurse waiting for him outside and she led him to the operation room. He changed and sat down. Waited.

"You love her so much, don't you?" The nurse suddenly asked and he flinched slightly.

"Yeah. She's just this beautiful flower amidst my leaves. How I wish this didn't happen at all," he sighed. The nurse looked at him.

"I hope you won't regret this."

###

The lights glared into his eyes as flashbacks started happening.

"So this is what life before death feels like," he thought aloud. He closed his eyes and cringed when he felt the syringe being attached to his arm. He was going numb and his conciousness faded. He thought about her one last time before darkness greeted him.

###

Light greeted the eyes that had been closed for all too long. The sight of silhouettes came to view. The natural blinking. The movement. Fingers. Hands. Toes. Feet. Breathing. It all seemed calm the first few minutes. The worried look of a familiar face. The memories that slowly... slowly settled in. Elementary school. The smile and joy. Secondary school. The fun and excitement. High school. The stress and anxiety. Work. Work. Work.

HER.