Chapter II

Forbidden Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a heavy knock on the door that morning at the Kim household. Mrs Kim was in the kitchen preparing breakfast, a good breakfast as best as she could when the knock came. She had a glass of water in her hand, wanting to drink it with a blood tablet like usual in the morning. She always left the blood packets for the boys. Minseok's mother pulled her longline cardigan over herself more. She frowned confused as to who was knocking at their door. No one every knocked at their door, never. Not even when there was a package. She opened the door slowly, and peeking outside before she gasped.

Kai was on the other side of the door, and three servants were behind him. Each holding two heafty boxes. Mrs Kim gasped and the glass slipped from her hand, however Kai caught in time.

"Careful," the prince said. He handed her the cup, and she gingerly took it from his hands, stunned as she looked at the man in front of her. Never in her seventy five years as a vampire, did she ever think, he  would come knocking at her door. At the door of a secluded family. 

Kai smiled, "May I?" Kai asked. Mrs nodded slowly, and stepped away to let him in. Kai stepped inside, and signalled the servants to wait outside. He looked at the house in front of him. It was small, but from what he saw from the outside, everyone had a room. 

There was a fireplace to the west wall, a stairs case which led upstairs, and the living room had a few sofas and old chairs. There was a small dining table in the corner, and the walls had a bit of moister on them. Mrs Kim looked at the royal prince surprised and followed him into the living room. 

Mr Kim was sitting on one of the sofas reading a newspaper distracted, and when he smelt the smell of a pureblood vampire, he closed the newspaper and looked up. Upon seeing Kai, he stood up scurringly as he watched Kai.

"Y-Your h-highnes!" he stuttered, "What brings you here?" he asked as he bowed. Mr Kim looked at his wife, who hurried over to him as they both looked at Kai. Mr Kim held his wife, both scared of what'll happen. If there's one thing they've learnt from having a misfortunate family line, is that when a royal comes knocking, it's not for a good reason. 

Just then, the front door opened, and Minseok and Minho came. Both dirtied in mud and smelling of blood. The siblings weekend morning trips always included hunting in the forest, and foraging for any small animals they could tak ehome for their family. The smell of pure blood filled their senses, and they both looked into the living room. Minseok sighed seeing Kai and put the bag down.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

Kai smiled and opened his coat before taking out an invitation, and placing it on the coffee table. 

"Invitation for the claming ball. All eligible vampires of mating age, are required to attend," Kai told him, as Minho, Minseok's younger but taller brother scurried to his mother, and she held him. Minseok frowned looking at the prince, "You are of no exception."

Just then hurried, and heavy steps were heard down the wooden stairs.

"What's all this noise about?" a heavy hoarse voice asked. Minseok widened his eyes as he heard his great grandfather's voice rushing down the steps. Minseok rushed over, and held his grandfather.

"Grandpa, careful!" Minseok said worried as he stopped him, and guided him into the living room.

As they entered the living room, Minhyun stopped as he saw the royal prince in front of him.

Kai smiled at the elder, "After so long. I almost forgot what my great tutor looked like." he commented as Minseok helped Minhyun to sit.

Minhyun looked up at Kai. The elder's body had aged slowly. His skin was becoming thinner, his eyes sunken, however, he still didn't look one day over his maturing age. Vampire's didn't die as the legend was true, the lived forever at most. However, when a vampire has not looked after it's body due to circumstances, it's body would slowly die. A  vampire would never truely die, until it's body was burnt. If it's body were to die, the vampire would simply sleep until it drank blood once more.

"You've grown," Minhyun commented, "No longer wearing round glasses, and you no longer look like a Japanese gentleman from the Joseon era."

Kai chuckled as Minseok covered his grandfather's lap with a blanket. Minseok avoided Kai's gaze as the elder approached Minhyun. Kai knelt infront of the vampire, and Minseok's mum gasped. When a royal were to bow before another vampire of lower status, it meant respect and equality. Two terms their family had not experienced in two centuries. 

Kai held Minhyun's frail hand, "How are you?" he asked. Minseok blinked slowly watched the vampire dazed.

"Old, 643 years is a lot of years," he said.

Kai chucked, "You don't look a day over 20," Kai told him smiling.

"That's because I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter