arizona;

`cauchemar.

In the plane, on our flight to Arizona, I found myself drowning in thoughts questioning myself a thousands of what ifs. I looked out of the window, Bobby sitting besides me and Dahyun next to him, I was staring at the clouds that decorated the sky like pure white ounces of snow piled onto each other. I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but I felt Bobby lightly shake my right arm. My head turned his way and he was staring at me with worried eyes, “Are you alright? You haven't said a word since we got on.” he said. I showed him a weak smile, shaking my head and grabbing his hand to take it off my arm, “I'm fine, just thinking about stuff.” I told him making him question what kind of stuff. I brushed the question, and topic all together, off and peeked behind him, “Is Dahyun actually asleep?”

Bobby looked next to him and smiled softly nodding his head, “She barely had any rest ever since you fell asleep the other night. I guess she can finally take some rest now.”

Somehow Bobby's words made me feel guilty. I knew it wasn't my fault entirely, yet I still felt responsible of their worries. “Keep that out of your mind, Momo.” Bobby woke me out of my thoughts again and I wondered what he meant; “I'm talking about the self blame. It's not your fault, don't feel bad.” 

I stared at him astonished, “How did you know?”

He grinned that cheeky smile of his and leaned back in his seat, “You'd be surprised to know how much your eyes give away.”

//

The rest of the flight was just as quiet and peaceful, I guess we were all exhausted in some sort of way. Bobby and I woke Dahyun up when the stewardess asked for our meal, and Dahyun fell right back asleep after she finished her own. That's another thing I learned: We don't only drink blood. We woke her up again when we arrived in Arizona. My first impression of the state were the mountains huge and visible behind every building you saw.

“Hurry up guys, we have to get our luggage!” Dahyun squealed cheerfully and Bobby and I followed her lead. Once we got our stuff we walked our way to the hall when Bobby stopped us right in front of the doors, “Donghyuk will be there to pick us up.” 

When we got to the hall way I saw a guy, probably around our age (as far as that goes for Bobby and Dahyun, at least), holding up a board with my name on it. Bobby laughed sheepishly before running towards the guy with a smiling Dahyun following after him. The guy, of who it was save to assume that he’s Donghyuk, and Bobby shared a bro fist before pulling each other in a tight hug making Dahyun turn around to face me mouthing how cute it was. I smiled in agreement before introducing myself to Donghyuk. He walked us to an area outside of the airport and made us wait in the shadows for his friend to pick us up with his car, “You should stay here, the sun here will exhaust you guys in no time.” 

“It really is, oh my god. How do you survive?” I asked Donghyuk who simply cackled, “People like me can deal with it.” He said making me wonder what he meant. 

Within minutes his friend came with his car that had covered windows, “BOBBY!” The guy jumped out of the car to greet Bobby the same way Donghyuk did before they — wait, did they just dab? Dahyun and I shared a look before bursting into a laugh.

The guy introduced himself as Song Yunhyeong. 

//

In the car it was very noisy and the mood was light, everyone was chatting and laughing, in contrast to our flight.

“So how does it feel to be a vampire?” Yunhyeong asked me making me snap out of the conversation Dahyun and I had about s. “Strangely I don't really feel all that different.” I told him with a sincere smile which he returned, “Of course you wouldn't. I just had to ask something to have you girls stop talking about weird things.” Yunhyeong said making Donghyuk cackle and Bobby complaint about how he has to deal with it nearly every day.

After a while we finally got to Donghyuk and Yunhyeong's appartment, “How long have you been living together?” I asked which made everybody laugh. “You haven't told her?” Yunhyeong eyed Bobby and Dahyun who avoided my gaze nonchalantly, “We thought it might be a little too much for her to take in all together.”

My suspicion grew to what they could possibly be referring to, “What's up?” 

Donghyuk had that same grin on his face he had the whole time ever since we met at the airport when telling me they don't live here, not in this apartment, not in Arizona.

“Oh, are you guys on a vacation?” I asked and Yunhyeong shook his head, “We always come here during our school breaks after spending some time with our families.” 

I looked at Dahyun confused - It was something I hadn't thought about before: If Dahyun and Bobby are vampires and are like... Really really old, why do they still attend school? 

Dahyun stared back at me before she spoke up, “Remember watching all Harry Potter movies with me back in sixth grade?” I blinked and moved my gaze to Bobby, “Hogwarts is real - these two nerds are seniors at Hogwarts. Not vampires.” 

Well then. That explained a lot.

“Oh my god really? That's so cool, why didn't I turn into a wizard instead of a vampire?” I stomped my feet on the ground while frowning making Donghyuk laugh and tell me I'm cute. I was surprised at the compliment but flattered nonetheless.

“What house do you belong to?” I asked them out of curiosity in which they answered me that Donghyuk is a hufflepuff, and Yunhyeong a ravenclaw.

“Then what would I be if I were to attend Hogwarts?” I was sure my eyes were sparkling in excitement, Bobby once told me that happens to me once I get hyped. 

“I have no idea to be honest but I now for sure Bobby and Dahyun would be Gryffindors. Always the troublemakers.” Yunhyeong said teasingly to which Donghyuk disagreed, “Slytherins are the troublemakers! Gryffindors are saints compared to them.”

Dahyun, too, disagreed “Gryffindor? Please no, mustard yellow is not my color. Definitely not with red. Y'all need a fashion police at Hogwarts.” 

“I'm gonna act like that didn't lowkey offend me.” Yunhyeong shot a glare at Dahyun which she replied to by sticking her tongue out.

“Anyways,” Donghyuk changed the subject, “You're here for a reason. Are you hungry, maybe thirsty?” 

“I am, actually!” Bobby commented. “Not that kind of thirsty.” I told him off.

“I'm taking that as a no - so back to business. Momo, you said you didn't remember anything about turning, right?”

“Not a clue.” 

“And you also have no reflection, right?” 

“Indeed.” 

“Let's go to my room.” We all got off the couch and followed Donghyuk to his room.

“I think I might have an idea about what could be a factor in this.” Donghyuk said looking through books out of the huge bookshelf he had in his bedroom. There wasn't much; just a bed, a desk, a bookshelf and a small closet. “Aha!” Donghyuk said and walked towards his chair to sit down and throw the book on the table.

“When exactly did it happen again?” Donghyuk asked me while looking through the pages.

“Well, uhm, I was asleep the whole day, yesterday. I only woke up early this morning. It's night now, so that should be the night before yesterday's.” 

“Did you really have to think back of all that just to tell him it was two days ago?” Bobby snorted making me punch his arm lightly.

Yunhyeong suddenly looked up making everybody else stare at him wondering what he was about to say, “But wait - Two days ago was the blue moon.” 

Dahyun looked surprised, “What?!” 

“Oh my god that explains so much.” 

I looked at everybody more confused than before, “What? What does that mean?” 

“The blue moon occurs every four years; It's when the atmosphere gets really... How do I explain; romantic? For vampires.” 

“What she's trying to say,” Bobby sighed making Dahyun shut up, “Is that we all become .” 

“No wonder there were so many vamps at the party.” Dahyun said.

“Alright cool but how exactly does this add up to my story?” I asked them.

“Well,” Donghyuk began, “During the blue moon there's a possibility for a lost vampire bloodline to get back their roots after finding their sire.” 

“That was a mouthful. What does it mean?”

Yunhyeong explained that I probably always had some vampire blood running through me, but that through the generations it must have vanished in my family tree by, for example, having more humans than vampires in my family tree. However, I became a vampire because I found my sire, apparently. And it also appears to be that a sire is them who a vampire naturally romantically gets attracted to after being turned by them. Having sires between vampires is rare, though. And the reason I probably found mine is not because he actually turned me but because the moon turned me under his influence. It could've been a kiss, or just body language and maybe even simple flirting. 

“What I am curious about, though, is who erased your memories and why.” Yunhyeong finished his explanation. 

“Wait, you mean somebody made us forget on purpose?” Dahyun asked.

“Obviously, yeah. It's impossible in any other way.” Donghyuk said. We all seemed a little conflicted, “Then what do we do now?” I muttered the question to myself but Donghyuk heard it anyway.

He told us he had a mate in France, a friend called Jinhwan who was more familiar with these kind of situations. “He's very wise, I'm sure he can help you guys further in any way.” 

“Where in France does he stay?” 

“Lyon.” 

Bobby's face brightened at the mention of the city, “YES , Jinhwan I'm coming for ya!” The others cackled at Bobby's outburst and I stared at him judgingly. “But you don't understand Momo!” Bobby whined telling me how great Jinhwan is and how much he loves and misses his friend. I had to admit, he was cute like this.

“We have another concern here,” Dahyun mentioned, “How do we get there?” 

“Dude, we literally have two wizards in front of us and you're here asking how we'll get there?” Bobby raised an eyebrow at her. “We'll teleport you tomorrow morning. You may now sleep, you must be tired.” Yunhyeong said and led us to the guest rooms.

 

By the time I was in my bed the clock hit past 1 AM already. I closed my eyes thinking about how I was in Colorado just this morning, am in Arizona at this very moment, and will be in Lyon after I wake up.