colorado;

`cauchemar.

“It's not my damn fault, neither you nor I know what happened you're just as much to blame as I am!”

Never in my life have I been more grateful for Kim Dahyun's yells to awaken me as much as I am now. Let's just say I had a bad dream, one I'd like to forget about as quick as possible. I'm not sure if I should consider myself lucky for Dahyun making it easy for me to forget about that and focus more on why she's yelling in the first place.

There's no need to think twice about the possibility, or rather fact, that it's Bobby she's going on at. After all we were in Denver - the three of us only.

 

“Shut up you're going to wake her up.” Hushed Bobby. This might be my que to step in. 

“I'm up.”

A petrified bunny and a worried tofu were digging holes in me with their stares; I guess they realised it soon afterwards because Dahyun flashed her cheeky smile and Bobby asked me if I slept well. 

“Not really,” I shrugged, “what’s the time? When did I fall asleep anyway?” I asked them. Bobby held me by my shoulders, lightly pushing me towards the bathroom of our hotel room telling me to wash up. And I followed his orders. Though I was certainly not tired, my mind seemed to be a little dull still. A little dull, to the point I almost missed my own presence. It wasn't until after I walked out of the shower when I noticed;

A shriek left my mouth and my two friends stormed into the bathroom watching me scream in fear and confusion.

“Momo! Calm down!” 

“Take a deep breath and talk to us.” 

Only seconds had passed when I made my first attempt to speak to them -- only a few mutters and stutters had left my mouth, however. I grew frustrated and went for the alternative: sign language, or in this case pointing directly at the cause. Dahyun's eyes followed my fingertips until she gaped at the sight - or none - and nudged Bobby. 

“Impossible,” he said, “only purebloods have no reflection.” 

At this point I was back to freaking out. 

//

There's something funny about being in the foreign city Denver, Colorado with an inability to recall the events of the night you fell into a deep slumber. There's also something funny about your friends sitting you down and explaining to you that you're, as of today, a vampire. The funniest part is when my friends told me they are vampires, too: those friends I've been hanging out with since the age of fourteen. I wonder why I'm unable to laugh.

Did I believe them? Yes.

Did I have any legitimate reason to do so? No.

“So what's important now is for you to tell us exactly what happened on the night before yesterday's.” I stared at Dahyun strangely, “How long did I sleep again?” 

“At least 30 hours.”

“Oh my god.” 

 

As child I never believed vampires were by any means evil - so that misconception was no problem in my turning case. My problem was the turning case itself. “I don't remember anything about turning.” Bobby and Dahyun shared a look before Bobby let out a sigh, “I think we might need to speak to somebody who knows a little more about this.”

“And who the hell may that be, Bobs?” 

“One: Never call me that again. Two: Kim Donghyuk.” That was a name I've never heard of before. Donghyuk. From the corner of my eyes I saw Dahyun's hand meeting Bobby's head in a quick flash, “Idiot, Donghyuk stays in Arizona, how is he supposed to know what happened here?” Bobby shrugged and leaned back on the couch, “He just knows. Possibilities, at least.” 

“How are we supposed to meet him, though. And what's the rush with finding out what happened that night?” I asked them. Bobby bragged a little about his connections before getting back to business; “We found you asleep, you didn't wake up for hours and your body temperature went down within minutes. We know our , it wasn't that hard to guess you had been turned.” Dahyun scooted closer to me and continued, “But not knowing who turned you is a bad thing - well, not necessarily bad but it's definitely not helpful. The club was filled with vampires, it was dumb of us to bring you along but since it was neither Bobby nor I to bite you, it could've been anyone. Besides, your reflection is not there.”

Right, with all new information about something that seems so real yet surreal - I totally forgot about my reflection.

“What's a pureblood? Why do only they fail to see their reflection?” My curiosity kept growing and I stayed hungry for answers. And food. 

“Basically, purebloods are those born as vampires in at least three generations. They are very rare, though. I don't know for Bobs, but personally I only know three purebloods and all three have been stuck in their late teens for hundreds of years now. I'm not sure how ageing works for them - but for me, a born vampire out of a first generation family, it stops at adolescent.” I'm sure what Dahyun said was interesting and educational, but I honestly lost her after 'I only know three'. In the meantime Bobby was complaining about the nickname and I felt a very weird feeling overtaking me. Was it... Lust? No - it was some sort of craving. I sensed something delicious and I wanted it. Now. It was no surprise for me when Bobby handed me a sack of blood. I just wasn't quite sure how to feed myself with it, “Do you need a cup or something?” He asked. I shook my head; it was strange but I wasn't bothered. I just wanted to get rid of this empty feeling. I took a sip from the corner and within seconds I had emptied the sack.

That was a first, but definitely not the last.

//

Only hours had passed since I heard the news and I had been adapting pretty well, if I do say so myself. Bobby warned me from some dangers; like how I'm not actually immortal and how all sunlight does is exhaust or weaken us. There was also a mention about hunters, but since I've been human these past 19 years of my life, I refuse to believe anybody could smell the vampire on me. 

“Good news ladies!” Bobby voiced out of the living room making Dahyun and me pause the game we were playing and face him, “We're catching our flight to Arizona in exactly 3 hours. Pack those bags, we're checking out.” 

And that was that. I woke up after more than a day with a small memory loss about that what seems to be most important. I learned a new me - the same me, actually, but with a new... Color? That's what Dahyun refered it as: A different color of me, the last bit of me that got its own color now. Colorado, after all, meant coloured.