Hello?

It's Been a While

It was about half past 2AM of his 18th birthday. Moonbin sits on his bed, looking at the gifts the members had given him scattered all over the floor, wrapping papers and bits of confetti everywhere, even his hair. To his right was his phone, that kept buzzing with birthday wishes from friends and family.

He lays down, thinking about his past birthdays and how, even though he was surrounded by his closest friends (brothers, really), he couldn't help but feel a sense of yearning for his best friend whom he was inseparable with since he was 7, until a sad turn of events led them to severance two years ago. Sigh. Jung Chanwoo, do you miss me too? he thought to himself.

----------

The thing is, they were both supposed to debut together in a group. That was the plan. Fantagio had it all ready and set for them. But Sua, Moonbin's sister, was adamant about joining YG Entertainment, and Chanwoo decided to audition too. After much persuasion from both Sua and Chanwoo, Moonbin went to the audition as well.

Unfortunately for Moonbin, he wasn't chosen. When Chanwoo and Sua both got the call over dinner at the Jung household, he was happy for them, but he was more sad about the fact that Chanwoo was going to leave him, rather than sad that the group they had formed in Fantagio was splitting. And then he thought about that too, and began tearing up, and went to the bathroom.

Back at their dorm, after Chanwoo had announced to the members that he was leaving, the two roommates laid down next to each other and talked.

"Bin-ah?" said Chanwoo.
"Yes?" said Moonbin.
"Are you mad at me? You've been so quiet," said Chanwoo.
"I... I'm not mad." said Moonbin, choking back tears.
"Oh no, are you crying?" said Chanwoo.

Moonbin sat up, held his knees to his chest, and cried. Chanwoo, ever so naturally, puts his arms around Moonbin and cradled him. "It's going to be okay. We're going to be okay." said Chanwoo.

They woke up the next morning with their arms around each other, just as they had been for the past years they've lived together in the Fantagio dorm. The other members never understood it, their friendship, but they always described it as "We're soulmates!". Chanwoo would often proudly said, "We're actually one person. People of the same soul. We were even born on the same day, see?". It took a while to get used to, but soon the others understood that there was no distiction between the two. They were 'Chanwoo and Moonbin', whenever, wherever.

When Chanwoo left two weeks later to finally sign his contract with YG and move out of their dorm, Moonbin didn't want to leave his room. He waited, and waited for Chanwoo's call. And when that call finally came five hours later, Moonbin was heartbroken when Chanwoo told him that all new trainees had to give up their phones for the first 2 months. They spoke for hours and hours, reassuring each other that everything will be okay, and everything will be fine, and that they'll still be friends. Even Chanwoo cried as they hung up the phone, and Chanwoo is known for not crying.

2 months pass. It was during practice break when Moonbin read the headline on Naver- 'Another Survival Show for Team B', with the sub-heading 'Child Actor Jung Chanwoo Joins Show'. He nearly spat out his drink. He didn't tell me this! But then again, we haven't spoken in two months. Moonbin quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket, and called Chanwoo. 

'The number you have dialed is no longer in service.'

Oh no.

----------

Chanwoo was playing a game on his phone when it fell on flat on his face as he received a call. It was an unknown number. It was impossible that the fans got this number too (after his hyungs Hanbin and Bobby accidentally revealed his number to the v-app, he was getting calls and messages non-stop), as this phone was his private phone for his close friends and family. And CEO Yang. Only important calls. So he decided to pick it up.

"H..hello? Is this Jung Chanwoo?"
"...Moonbin?"

 

 

----------

Author's note: Aaaah, I hope you liked it! I can't wait to see where this story goes. I'm still thinking up ideas. Do tell me what you think so far, or of you have any suggestions!