2/3

Counting Lifelines

The best thing about the apartment was that it was cheap.

Situated in the rather shoddier part of the city, it had only one bedroom and Hyukjae had spent a whole weekend with anti-molding products. But it was freedom, at last.

They decided to move in together after they realized Hyukjae’s university was quite close to Donghae’s work. Their parents helped them to find the place and were really supportive in general.

No surprise there. Just as Hyukjae expected, after they found out that Donghae was his match, they immediately assumed they were going to live together. His mom even looked kind of relieved, like she was expecting it the whole time. No amount of explanation helped to convince her that they weren’t this kind of soulmates.

It wasn’t easy. Donghae was only an intern and his salary was kind of basic, but Hyukjae joined his friend Yunho who had opened  a dance studio with their teacher right after graduation. Hyukjae took only the lowest class, mostly contenting kids, but his dancing skills were just enough for this. He wouldn’t get much time with his own school, but at least he was able to do what he was passionate about.

“We need to buy blinds,” Donghae muttered, looking at his list. “We can’t have you saying up all night just because there’s full moon.”

“We can do it next month,” Hyukjae said, turning the trolley into another aisle. “I still have this sleeping mask I got for my last birthday.”

Shopping for new things for their apartment was fun.  Donghae was very considerate with his money, but his taste mostly matched Hyukjae’s so they didn’t have to argue over flowery utensils or useless decorations. In fact, they didn’t even buy a carpet.

“I still think we should paint the kitchen now when it’s still warm outside,” Donghae argued when they stood in the line

“We would have to spend another week moving furniture and I want to move in on Saturday, Hyukjae stated. “We can do it on spring. Could you check the price of those hangers?” he asked the cashier.

The girl behind the register smiled at him warmly. “It’s $5.”

“We will get it,” Donghae smiled back. “No, let’s do it now after we move in. We barely  even cook.”

“But I don’t want to…” Hyukjae pouted and turned to the cashier. “I’m paying with cash.”

“Here’s your bill,” the girl said once they were about to move. “If you are looking for new furniture, we have a sale on king sized beds and other stuff since the wedding season is over. You can get a couple discount too, I think.”

Hyukjae didn’t know what to say, but he opened his mouth to assure her it wasn’t necessary.

“Thanks, we will definitely check it out,” Donghae chirped in. “Have a nice day.”

Hyukjae pushed they trolley out of the store, looking for his car.

“Hey, it’s going to happen a lot,” Donghae said after a moment, his voice careful. “We have a match and we live together. It’s not a big deal.”

“I know,” Hyukjae breathed and tried to smile.

But he wasn’t really sure how he felt about it.

 

-

Donghae’s bed was on the right, Hyukjae’s on the left. It was harder to make the bedroom living friendly for two people since it barely fit the necessaires but they pushed and moved until they were happy.

“I’m going to cook, since it’s our first night,” Donghae announced with a proud smile.

Hyukjae saw few bags of ramen and some vegetables on the kitchen table.

“Oh yeah? That’s something new,” he laughed.

“Yes, so don’t get used to it,” Donghae warned, pointing at him with the knife.  “It’s only for tonight.”

The ramen turned out surprisingly tasty, especially considering how little spice they had. Donghae experimental personality made up for it.

They didn’t have a couch yet – Sora was going to give them her old one – so they sat against the window and set up Donghae’s laptop to watch some movies.

“Oh no,” Donghae shook his head as soon he spotted Hyukjae leaving the bedroom with bottles in his hand. “I’m not drinking with you. It makes you all sappy and kiss boys.”

“Aww c’mon,” Hyukjae laughed. “ It was one time.”

They went to sleep that night with full stomachs, stupid giggles and nice memories.

 

-

It was almost winter when Hyukjae considered dating Donghae for the first time.

They were in a restaurant, celebrating Donghae’s promotion to an actual editor (after being an intern for three months) and they ate first delicious dinner in forever. They pretended they didn’t have to worry about the money, dressing up more than it was necessary and putting all serious attitudes over their simple meal.

Donghae was especially happy that day, Hyukjae noted. His eyes were sparkling and he had healthy blush on his cheeks, talking rapidly how much better his job was going to be and how much money he would earn. Hyukjae was filled with pride.

“Do you guys would like anything else?” their waiter asked when they finished.

“Yes, do you have ice cream?” Donghae asked.

“Sure. Simple or in a dessert?”

Donghae gestured to Hyukjae to choose. “I don’t know.. Do we really need to—”

“He will have strawberry one – do you have a strawberry dessert?”

“I think we can figure something out,” the waiter smiled and Hyukjae thought he saw him winking at Donghae when he was leaving.

“Donghae..”

“Please, Hyuk, not today, okay?” Donghae pouted in strangely serious way. “Eat your ice cream and be happy for me.”

“Okay,” Hyukjae breathed and tried to relax.

He wasn’t all that much concerned about money anymore as much he suddenly thought they looked like they were on a date.

He glanced around, the small restaurant was filled with couples, drowning in candle light. The music was soft, seeping through the speakers and creating sentimental kind of atmosphere.

“Have you ever thought about it?” he asked Donghae when they got their desserts. “About dating me, I mean?”

Donghae didn’t look surprised, but his eyes were intense when they stared into Hyukjae’s.

“All the time,” he finally answered.

That was Donghae to you – there were never games with him. When he had something on his mind, he always found words to say it in the simplest way.

“But it’s not like I don’t appreciate what we have. I’m happy with you like this.”

“You..” Hyukjae had to think how to say how he felt. “Don’t you ever wonder why we have those numbers on our wrists, though?”

“Not really,” Donghae laughed lightly. “It means we are soulmates and we can make it mean whatever we want it to mean, right?”

Things were simple like that with Donghae. Unfortunately, they weren’t simple to Hyukjae.

 

When they had graduated and finally had other stuff off their minds – Donghae finding a job and Hyukjae getting into university – they had spent most of the summer together. When Hyukjae thought back to those days, they were filled with constant getting to terms with their relationship.

As uncomfortable it was to inform their families about the number, it set the base for their future pretty quickly. Hyukjae didn’t have to choose or even think about what to do with his life – it was laid in front of him before he could barely blink.

Donghae never mentioned their kiss on the prom night, he didn’t expect Hyukjae to magically turn  preferences, and Hyukjae shouldn’t be surprised by this but he was. He was scared when he opened his eyes the next day, thinking he would have to explain himself but Donghae only faintly smiled up at him and said that he was never going to drink again. 

So the summer was spent carelessly – filled with too much free time and trips to the beach, hanging out with their friends who were going to leave the city on autumn. It was also spent with Donghae at his side, more than it used to be and having him pinned to his life in an oddly noninvasive way.

Maybe the system really knew what it was doing.

However, half a year had passed and it seemed like their actual love lives were going nowhere. 

-

“Let’s try it,” Hyukjae announced one day.

Donghae currently was leaving the bathroom after doing the laundry and he looked kind of startled when he bumped onto him in the doorway.

“Try what?” he laughed, going around Hyukjae and heading to the kitchen.

“Dating,” Hyukjae said, not bothered by how unromantic the situation looked. “You and me. Like for real.”

Donghae stopped half way to the sink and sprung around. “What are you talking about?”

“We live together, we are soulmates, our parents think we are together anyway…” Hyukjae reasoned. “Let’s try to make it all the way.”

“But why?” Donghae frowned, leaning onto the kitchen counter. Hyukjae read confusion off his face.

“Don’t you want to?” He felt strangely anxious at the idea. “Haven’t you ever wondered?”

“Of course I have,” Donghae said. “I thought about dating you since the day we met, but I don’t think it works that way.”

He seemed serious and unaware of how the information startled  Hyukjae.

“Works what way?” he finally managed to say.

“I mean,” Donghae stepped closer to him and Hyukjae was instantly frozen in place. “That you are not gay.”

Hyukjae should have expect that. Of course it was simple to Donghae.

“Do you think you could kiss me right now?” Donghae asked when Hyukjae didn’t say anything. “Do you think you could sleep with me in the same bed? Hold my hand around your friends?”

That’s dating, Hyukjae only thought. He didn’t know the answers.

“That’s why I want to try it.” When his brain couldn’t work, his mouth could.

Donghae frowned, but this time there was also curiosity in his gaze when he got even closer. He reached out and put his hand onto Hyukjae’s cheek. “Are you sure?”

Hyukjae didn’t bother to answer. He only looked in Donghae’s eyes before closing his and leaning in.

The kiss was different this time. It wasn’t clouded by the alcohol, and it didn’t come as a surprise but the feeling was the same.

Donghae’s lips were warm and inviting, experienced – Hyukjae thought. They moved against Hyukjae’s in practiced touches and they were so nice, so amazingly fitting that Hyukjae lost himself in them. When Donghae moved closer and his strong arm curled around Hyukjae’s waist pulling him in, Hyukjae instinctively moved away.

His heartbeat was erratic and he breathed few times before opening his eyes.

“You don’t want it,” Donghae said, observing him. His voice was gentle, but Hyukjae felt his  sadness.

“It’s not that, it’s…” He didn’t know how to finish.

“It’s just that you are not attracted to men, Hyukjae,” Donghae stated patiently.

He pulled away completely and even though he was still only centimeters away, Hyukjae felt like the distance was huge. “We shouldn’t force it like that,” Donghae said, smiling small. “It won’t feel right.”

Hyukjae didn’t want to argue mostly because he was still recovering from his overwhelming feelings. Donghae turned away and stated cleaning the sink like nothing had happened.

“Do you think..” Hyukjae started, sitting at the table. “We should try to find somebody else for ourselves, then?”

Donghae stopped for only a second and Hyukjae wouldn’t even notice if he wasn’t staring at his back. “I won’t mind if you have a girlfriend,” he finally said. He still wouldn’t look at Hyukjae. “And we can’t be single forever, right? So, yeah.. If you find somebody, that would be great.”

“And you? Are you going to look for somebody else?” Hyukjae asked, not really sure how he felt about Donghae’s statement.

“Eventually, yeah, I’m probably going to,” Donghae said, finally giving up the cleaning and turning to Hyukjae. “I haven’t thought about it yet.”

Then what the hell have you been thinking, Hyukjae wanted to ask, but realized he wasn’t prepared enough for this kind of conversation. “So.. That settled?” he asked instead.

For some reason, Donghae laughed, his face turning features to something softer and relaxed. “I think so,” he said gently. “Don’t worry Hyukjae. We are going to be okay.”

-

A week before Christmas, Donghae announced that he wanted to learn dancing. It came as a surprise, because the end of the year was hectic for both of them. Donghae had more work to do, often saying over hours and Hyukjae finishing all his projects before the winter break. He had took more hours at the dance school and he could barely fit any sleep between his schedules.

“Why so random?” he asked, looking up from his logic textbook. Donghae looked sheepish.

“I just, you know, miss all the stuff,” he said and flopped lifelessly beside Hyukjae on his bed. “In high school I had so many other activities and now it’s only work.. I want to do something else. Just for fun.”

Hyukjae gave up learning for the time being. Looking at Donghae, he saw a small pout gracing his lips, his eyes tired, making him seem older. He didn’t like this kind of look on Donghae.

Then he thought about something.

“I think Yunho will have a new class at the second semester.” Their dance school was developing and the thought made him proud.  “Do you have anything specific on your mind?”

“I dunno..” Donghae shrugged. “Something fun and maybe not very technical? I don’t think I’d be great at classics. What do you think?”

If he had to be honest, Hyukjae rather wondered why Donghae ended up like this in the first place. After graduating, he had insisted he wanted to take a break from school activities and he only wanted to focus on his job – “To be really good at something,” as he put it. Hyukjae never questioned it, but found it strange in the same time that after years of taking interest in so many things, he suddenly wanted discontinue it all.

“I think we can think of something, but.. is it really urgent? I had to finish it before tomorrow,” he pointed at his book.

Donghae sighed, but obediently took the book from Hyukjae. “Give me that. I’ll read the quotations for you and we can work on them together.”

“You don’t have to..” Hyukjae said, feeling slight guilt that he was robbing Donghae off his much needed free time. “I can deal with it.”

“There’s nothing on TV anyway,” Donghae shrugged it off, already getting into the page. “Take your notes and maybe put the kettle on, since it seems like we are going to need coffee.”

“You are the best, you know that, right?” Hyukjae smiled.

“Sure thing I know,” Donghae grinned back. “Milk and no sugar, please,” he added, leaning over the textbook.

-

“So.. How’s the life?”

Hyukjae looked up at his sister when she took a place beside him on the couch. It was Christmas and he was currently working on their parents’ TV controller which seemed to be broken. Again. It was past dinner and their families went to the church, as he stayed with Donghae to keep company Sora and the kids.

Of course, Donghae was playing in the snow with the kids.

“Good,” Hyukjae answered. “The uni is , the job is exhausting, but we are getting there. How about yours?”

Sora was never too close to him, being an older sister and all, but they loved each other and they always stayed in touch. She had her match in her tweens and she married Jonghak as soon it was legal. They had two year old baby girl whose happy squeaks were currently heard from the outside.

“How’s Donghae?” Sora asked.

“He’s great,” Hyukjae smiled, thinking how comfortable it was to live with his soulmate. “He’s bored, though. I tell him to get back to school all the time, but he won’t listen. But his job is pretty cool, I admit.”

“So you are okay with..” she raised her eyebrows pointedly but Hyukjae shook his head. “The soulmate thing?”

“Ahh..” Hyukjae put the controller onto the couch. “Kind of? Yeah. I mean, it’s great.”

Sora looked like she wanted to ask something but she didn’t know how. Hyukjae wasn’t going to make it easy for her.

“Are you two together?” she finally decided.  Hyukjae felt satisfaction seeing slight blush on her cheeks.

“Not like you think, no.” He thought about it and the conversation he had with Donghae popped in his mind. “We are going to see other people.”

“You can’t be serious.”

“I am,” Hyukjae grinned, nodding his head.

“Yeah, whatever. Just don’t tell parents. Mom will flip out.”

“I know,” Hyukjae scowled. “She’s really conservative about these stuff, but, hey, it’s my life not hers.”

Sora was about to say something else, but they heard the door before a crashing mess rolled into the house. “Hey guys?!” Donghae called. “Do you think there is some hot chocolate in the store today?!”

-

Later that night, in the midst of talking to Donghwa, Hyukjae saw Donghae across the room, falling asleep with a new born baby on his chest.

-

The same night he was lying awake in his childhood bed. His eyelids were heavy, but he couldn’t sleep. Donghae snorted right beside his ear.

“Turn around,” he muttered, pushing him a bit.

“Mgrh..” Donghae grunted. “Don wanna..”

Hyukjae sighed and pulled Donghae across his chest. With the even breathing of the other and the feeling of his soft body against Hyukjae’s, he was able to finally sleep as well.

-

At the beginning of  February, after having being done with his middle-semester exams, Hyukjae took Donghae to his dance school.

The new class was formed, New Year resolutions bringing them a bunch of people whose enthusiasm hadn’t died down yet. Yunho was great as a teacher, something Hyukjae always knew even when they were in high school and Hyukjae was sure Donghae would be in good hands.

“Good to see you,” Yunho shook hands with Donghae. “I can see Hyuk doesn’t trust me with you.”

“Yo, shut up,” Hyukjae pushed him a bit and Donghae laughed.

“Nah, he’s just making sure I won’t embarrass him,” Donghae said, smiling brightly.  

Hyukjae decided that breakdance was perfect for him. It was energetic and upbeat, just like Donghae who also wasn’t the most artistic or sophisticated kind of person, but he was fun and cool to be around.

The lesson only consisted simple introduction and stretching, then few basic moves but Donghae seemed completely engrossed in it. For the whole time he didn’t take his eyes off Yunho, trying to follow his moves and twists. He looked happy. 

“Good job, everybody!” Yunho shouted at last, clapping his hands to a bunch of exhausted guys, finishing their lesson.

Hyukjae watched Donghae gathering his stuff from the corner, wiping his forehead with a towel. As he made his way to Donghae’s side, another guy from the group came to a stop in front of him.

“Nice moves,” he nodded his head, smiling at Donghae. “Where did you learn to dance like that?”

Donghae looked up at him. “Well, thank you?” he smiled shyly. “I’ve never practiced dancing. It’s my first lesson.”

“No way!”  he exclaimed, his eyes widening. ” “How come you move so well?!”

“Natural talent?” Donghae chuckled and at the guys disbelieving look he added, “Just kidding, I was improvising. Guess those youtube videos finally paid off.”

The man giggled, his eyes scanning Donghae’s body up and down. It occurred Hyukjae that it was typical reaction upon meeting Donghae for the first time.

“I’m Minho,” he introduced himself in a soft voice, extending his hand.  Donghae gladly took it.

“Donghae. Nice to meet you, Minho. How long have you been dancing?” he smiled.

“Oh, just a couple years, but mostly in classic. A friend recommended me this class. How do you like it?”

“Quite  a bit,” Donghae said, tilting his head. “I think I’m going to stick around.”

“Oh are you?”

Hyukjae watched how pleased Minho was at this response, their eyes never leaving each other. He stood there awkwardly, waiting for the exchange to end.

It was probably the very first time he’d seen Donghae being flirted with.

-

“Why  didn’t you wait for me?” Donghae asked, catching up with him at their car on a parking lot.

“Sort of guessed you had company,” Hyukjae murmured, slamming the back door a little bit too hard and got behind the wheel.

When Donghae joined him, he didn’t say anything else as Hyukjae put them into drive and focused on the road. The silence was quickly palpable, so he chanced a look at Donghae when they stopped at red light.

“Why are you upset?” Donghae asked, his eyes intensely watching him.

“I’m not…” Hyukjae stopped to think how to put it in words. He had no right to be upset. “I’m not upset, okay? I’m just tired.”

“You didn’t have to come with me,” Donghae said gently, looking away. “I told you that. If I knew..”

“That’s okay,” Hyukjae interrupted, already knowing that all apologizes Donghae was about to say were unfounded. “I thought you might have needed me, but you did great so I was worried for nothing.”

“You think I did well?” Donghae’s tone lightened at that and even though Hyukjae started driving again, he knew that Donghae was eagerly watching him.

“Of course,” Hyukjae forced his voice to lighten up as well. “You were fantastic, and knowing all that was without training.. I’m impressed.”

“Thank you, Hyukjae.”

“You’re welcome, Donghae.” He fully smiled then.

 

There was a pause.

“I still know you were upset.”

 

A breath.

 

“I know.”

 

-

 

By the spring, they started calling the apartment their home.

As usually, it started out of wont more than anything. The home was where the family was, so at first they had been saying ‘home’ referring to their childhood homes. But it was inconvenient saying “I’m coming to the apartment” very quickly, so they switched it, calling their place “home.”

When the first warm March days rolled around, Hyukjae found himself thinking home as the place he shared with Donghae – with their shared bedroom, shelves full of his manga magazines and Donghae’s toothbrush sited beside his.

Home was their first dinners cooked together, their piles of laundry because both of them were too lazy to wash it; their empty walls because none of them knew how to use a hammer without making gigantic holes in the drywalls.

Home was Donghae catching his silly faces on photographs, his maniac laugh at his own bad jokes; home was their long night conversations about their neighbors and stars and universe; home was the mess Donghae made with his notes and his frantic talking and Hyukjae calming him down because just focus Donghae, you’ve got this.

Living with Donghae was so comfortable that Hyukjae forgot how he could ever live without him.

-

Until, Donghae announced he had a boyfriend.

It wasn’t weird at first – Donghae had a boyfriend in high school whom Hyukjae had met and liked very much. He didn’t think anything of it. Donghae was a type to fall in love fast – he had his little passions all the time; his fictional characters, his art pieces, his football players – he talked about them with fascination, the spark in his eyes and he pulled Hyukjae into his interest whether Hyukjae liked it or not.

So he wasn’t surprised when Donghae started talking about Minho in their daily routine. Hyukjae learned that Minho was their age and majoring theater at a local university; he was an excellent dancer, he liked the number 10 and he was biual.

His number disappeared when he was a toddler, so he was “completely free off all this crap” as he personally claimed.

Hyukjae liked him. He was charming and good-natured, and he kept Donghae active with his vigorous  personality.

The problem started  when Donghae began to be a little bit too much intimate with his details.

 

“We are not kids anymore, right?” he said after a long debate of his ual inexperience. “And I really can’t stay forever.”

Hyukjae didn’t know what to say. Of course, Donghae couldn’t stay forever, Hyukjae didn’t want him to. But it wasn’t a problem he could give him an answer to.

“How do you feel? You want to jump on him or not?”

“Kind of? Yeah, sometimes.” Donghae shifted restlessly on his seat. “But it’s only been two months and I don’t think he can think about it like I do.”

“What do you think about it though?”

“I just…” Donghae glanced at him for a moment. “I’ve got you, don’t I? And he doesn’t. So he doesn’t have to consider his soulmate into this.”

“I just want you to be happy,” Hyukjae told him, meaning it. “If you ask me for my permission, just don’t worry about it and go for it.”

“But…” Donghae looked down, his forehead creasing in thought. “It’s a big deal, you know? I always thought.. you know.. I always thought I’ll lose my ity to my soulmate..”

Ah, this. Yes, Hyukjae thought this too. His idea of a soulmate consisted having them in his life in every aspect, his uality included. But since it turned out to be more complicated, he hadn’t that strict requires anymore.

Also, Donghae saying those words, stirred something unbidden inside him.

He was Donghae’s soulmate. He was the one Donghae imagined, fantasied about, had hopes for.

“Whatever the choice you make, be sure it’s something you want,” he told him after a moment.

“You are not helping,” Donghae announced, his voice slightly on edge. He ran his hand through his hair in frustration.

Hyukjae sighed. “Talk to Minho about it. I’m sure he can understand.”

Donghae turned his face away. “It’s still not helping,” he murmured, but before Hyukjae could say another word, he stood up and left, leaving Hyukjae equally puzzled and frustrated.

 

-

 

In the following weeks, he noticed that Donghae avoided the topic of Minho altogether. He wouldn’t come home right after the work, but asked about where he was he just said “Out” and never followed with details.

Hyukjae was kind of okay with it. He was all about Donghae having his own life, their friendship at this point being strong enough to trust Donghae with his decisions, but it was something new. For over a year they shared everything and being cut off part of Donghae’s life was something he had to accommodate to again.

“Why are you even surprised?” Sora asked him over the phone. “You are soulmates living together but not having a romantic relationship? You think that is normal?”

“Oh please, we established it long ago. And he’s weird with it now. He doesn’t want to talk to me about it – how does it supposed to make me feel?”

“And how does that make him feel, huh? Did you even think about it?”

“What are you talking about?”

There was a long sigh from Sora. “Have it ever occurred you that Donghae may be in love with you? Just because you established that you don’t want to sleep with him, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have romantic feelings for you.”

“Why do you even.. That’s not how it was! I tried, okay? He was the one who suggested that we should other people!”

“Was he really? Think about it.”

 

-

 

On the day of his birthday, Hyukjae woke up with anticipation, expecting the morning to be brighter, filled with wishes and smiles. He expected breakfast in bed or at least breakfast at all.

Only to be disappointed.

The apartment was empty and quiet, not even a trace of activity lingering in the space. Donghae already gone for work and Hyukjae pouted at the lack of the acknowledge of his special day. Not even a note. Not even a good morning.

He pouted some more.

 

Around midday, he finally couldn’t help himself and he texted Donghae. They usually texted a lot through the day, however it wasn’t a regular thing since Donghae had got a boyfriend.

To Donghae:

Hey, are we doing anything today?

A few minutes later.

To Hyukjae:

Dunno.. Why are you asking?

WHY was he asking?! Hyukjae could believe it. He couldn’t believe Donghae forgot!

To Donghae:

Nothing. Are you busy after work?

To Hyukjae:

I might be. Something’s going on?

Hyukjae slammed his phone onto the desk so hard that few people around him jumped.

“Sorry,” Hyukjae murmured in apology and decided to focus on the lecture rather than on his soulmate from then on.

 

-

 

“Hey, is everything alright?”

Hyukjae looked up when the he was packing his stuff. Jihye, his classmate, was also lingering back. He smiled.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks.”

“You looked kind of frustrated over there,” she said, pointing at his cellphone still laying on the desk.

“Ah, this. No, it’s fine. Some personal crap.”

“Tell me about it,” she laughed lightly. “Are you going to the library?” she asked when they were leaving the classroom.

“No, I need to work on the technology project and they don’t have the textbook anymore. I think I need to buy it,” he sighed.

“Oh really? I have this one with me,” she smiled. “You want me to lend it to you?”

Hyukjae brightened. “Seriously?”

“Sure, I can work on it later.”

“Are you sure? No, let’s forget it,” he shook his head. “I couldn’t possibly steal it from you..”

“You know what?” She stopped and looked at him, smiling. “Let’s copy it.”

“That’s illegal,” he frowned.

“I know a copy dude who doesn’t care about it,” she whispered.

“You are so rebel,” Hyukjae laughed.

“I know,” she laughed along. “Coping university textbooks in underground mafia photocopying clique. Let’s go break some law!”

 

-

 

While the not-so-underground guy was copying Jihye’s textbook, Hyukjae opened another birthday message from his family. They were flowing the whole day, but Hyukjae got more and more disappointed each time.

“Something happened?” Jihye asked when he grunted at his phone.

“What? Oh, no no. It’s just…” Hyukjae sighed. “It’s my birthday today.”

Jihye looked at him skeptically. “Pretty odd reaction for someone getting birthday messages.”

“It’s not that. It’s just…”

“Here you go,” the copy guy announced, handing them their materials.

“Thank you,” Jihye smiled and Hyukjae proceeded to pay.

When they were leaving the shop, Jihye asked him about his plans.

“No plans,” Hyukjae shrugged. “I think I’m gonna buy soju on my way and get drunk alone..”

“You sound so morbid,” Jihye laughed but Hyukjae didn’t feel offended. “How about we get grab some drinks? And dinner?”

Hyukjae only hesitated for a moment.

“My treat. Come on, it’s your birthday.”

 

-

 

At midnight the apartment was as quiet as he expected. He unlocked the door, still feeling stuffed and slightly drunk from his unexpected date with Jihye.

And kind of happy.

Jihye was really cool. He told her about Donghae and his failed birthday and instead of getting into counseling mode, she brightened his day with her easy-going company. She was pretty too. Hyukjae forgot how look at girls; he was so absorbed in getting his life together ever since he moved in with Donghae, that his romantic interests went into secondary. He forgot how it was to be attracted to girls – their soft voices and shy smiles, their delicate moves and flowery perfumes.

He had a pretty good time that evening.

He switched small lamp in the livingroom and noticed that Donghae was asleep on the couch, his body sprawled  in an uncomfortable position. He was clutching something to his chest.

“Hey,” Hyukjae knelt down beside him and whispered, “Donghae, wake up.”

“Hmm?”

“It’s midnight, you need to move to your bed.”

“You are late,” Donghae murmured, blinking. “And I’m late too, with this.”

He sat up and reached out his hand with a small package. The wrapping paper was all wrinkled.

“What’s this?” Hyukjae asked, his heart flipping because maybe he was wrong all along.

“Your birthday gift, what else?” Donghae shrugged, rubbing his eyes. “Open it.”

“You…” Hyukjae set the package on his lap and looked fully at Donghae. “You didn’t forget?”

“Of course I didn’t,” Donghae said tiredly. He seemed hurt. “I came earlier to surprise you with the cake and all, but well… Didn’t know you had other plans.”

“I didn’t! That’s why I asked you about yours! And you said…”

“What did I say?”

“That you were busy!”

Donghae just shook his head and stood up, heading to the kitchen. Hyukjae couldn’t believe it.

“It’s strawberry,” Donghae said from the kitchen and appeared again, carrying a small cake. “Happy birthday, Hyukjae. Make a wish.”

Something about his voice and his posture didn’t seem festive. Hyukjae felt like a prick.

“I’m so sorry,” he said. He put the gift and the cake onto the table, and made Donghae to look at him. “I’m sorry I misunderstood it.”

“Don’t be,” Donghae smiled. “How could you know? Did you have a good time?”

Hyukjae thought about his evening, how grumpy he felt about his forgotten birthday, how he was getting his comfort from someone else; and lastly about how he finally thought that dating someone might be a good idea.

He couldn’t bring himself to tell it Donghae.

“Kind of..” he eventually said, sitting on the couch and waiting for Donghae to join him. “I went out with a friend.”

“Oh…” Donghae looked down and nodded his head. “Someone I know?”

“Remember Jihye? She was here last month I think.”

“Ah, yes. Sure. She’s really nice.”

“Yeah.. But you know, it was kind of an accident. I thought you were out with Minho, and that you forgot so.. I just didn’t want to be alone on my birthday.”

Donghae finally looked at him and the smile he gave him was sad. He  reached out and took Hyukjae’s left hand in his. He outlined the number on Hyukjae’s wrist with his finger.

 “I would never forget your birthday.”

“I know,” Hyukjae said, feeling strangely sad about it all as he interlaced his fingers with Donghae’s.

A heartbeat passed before he put his arms around Donghae’s shoulders and embraced him in a tight hug. “Thank you,” he whispered.

 

-

 

May started and the topic of their unpainted kitchen came out again.

“It’s spring, isn’t it?” Donghae said, looking into his calendar. “You don’t have any exams until early June and the season for the most intense articles doesn’t start until summer, so it’s the best time now."

His reasons were undoubted, but he didn’t sound convinced in the same time.

“It’s not that bad,” Hyukjae chanced, looking up at the ceiling. “I mean, yeah the mold is kind of ugly but the old color is kind of nice. And the paint seems solid.. It still can wait.”

“Yeah…” Donghae mused, which was weird because he was the one who hated it the most. “It doesn’t look that bad.”

“And we never know if the people upstairs won’t flood us again.”

“Maybe we should wait until they move out,” Donghae said and Hyukjae expected him to laugh, but he didn’t.

“We just don’t want to do it and we are making excuses,” Hyukjae said.

“We are,” Donghae confirmed.

The conversation suddenly felt heavier than it should. Hyukjae wondered why.

“Do you think..” Donghae started. “Do you think we are going to stay here for longer?”

“In this apartment? I didn’t think about it. I can’t afford a house right now, if that’s what you mean.”

“Not exactly.” Donghae climbed onto the counter and sat cross-legged on top of it. “I mean it like in the future. When we are going to have families and all.”

Oh. Hyukjae didn’t think that far. In the back of his mind he always knew that they couldn’t live together forever, but the ‘forever’ being rather a very distant and unspecific future.

“I  guess the house would have to be really enormous if we wanted to fit there two families.”

Donghae snorted and Hyukjae grinned at him.

“Anyway,” Donghae said. “We are cancelling the painting for now?”

“I guess,” Hyukjae sighed.

 

For some reason, he felt like they were talking about more than just painting the kitchen.

 

 


NOTE: There you go! I hope you like it! :) Thanks for all kind words at the previous chapter. Hope this is still going the way you wanted it to! The final part will be up on the weekednd :)

Edit: BTW, I just wanted to tell you that I use my own country as the reference for all the legal stuff (18 as the drinking age, free univesity tutoring etc) but I use dollars as the currency because nothing else felt remotely right. Although, this is a world with magical number for your soulmate, so we can forget about such details as legal consistence, right? ^^