Sweet Surprise

Sweet Surprise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mid-February air still held a stinging chill, but it would have been impossible to tell by watching the couples passing by on the busy streets.  Hand-in-hand, sweethearts mosied along sidewalks surrounded by pink and red, silver and gold.  Shop windows were cluttered with hearts and balloons and roses, and even the street peddlers seemed to be in festive spirits.  Love was in the air that Valentine’s Day afternoon, and it seemed to creep into every corner of the city.
 

Cafe du Soleil was no exception to this festive aura, and pink had even invaded the frosting in the baked goods case and the very paper cups in which they served drinks made to go.  Sehun couldn’t help but roll his eyes as he pushed through the door and past a couple canoodling right in the walking path to the line.  People seemed to lose all respect for public spaces on this ridiculous holiday.  Was it too much for him to ask for a decent coffee and a quiet corner to sit in?
 

Behind the counter, Jongin was revelling in the joy that seemed to fill most of his customers that day.  He loved his work, as simple as it was.  There was something special about putting a smile on people’s faces through something as simple a bit of friendly conversation and a special touch on their drink or food order.  
 

As Sehun approached the register, Jongin felt his heart rush a little and his cheeks flush.  The young businessman was never there for long - usually it was in and out for an Americano with just a smidge of room for cream before he headed out for work.  Every now and again he’d stay, but even then he’d head straight for the corner after ordering his drink and bury his nose in his tablet, presumably working on some sort of work or another.  He had always been drawn to the man though, but never brave enough to break out of their usual conversation.  All the same, as the slender, suited gentleman stopped before the counter, the barista offered him a winning smile and a small bow.  “Good afternoon, Mr. Oh.  An Americano to take home with you?” he asked, hands moving to pluck a cup from the stacks at his side.
 

On a typical day, the conversation would have essentially ended there.  The younger businessman would give a curt nod and say ‘yes, thank you’ before shoving his nose back into his cell phone.  Instead, Sehun paused at the familiar suggestion, tilting his head in consideration. “Actually, I think I’ll take a latte to stay today, thank you,” he replied with a nod. He rarely strayed from his usual order, but despite the sour taste left by the tack

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter