Chrysanthemum

The Language of Flowers

Hyungwon sits in a chair, head laying on his arms uncomfortably as they extend in front of him across his desk. He plays absentmindedly with feathers that he had picked off of his sweater. The blinds in his office are slightly closed, letting the smallest amount of light spill onto the plants and the puddles of murky water on the floor. Hyungwon lets his eyes flutter shut as he breathes in and out. The feather falls from his fingertips. He goes to pick it up, but notices a pair of feet on the floor in front of him. His body jerks back and he stands up quickly, and upon looking at his unexpected visitor. He sees the blonde hair of a familiar acquaintance and sighs loudly before falling back into his chair.

“Minhyuk next time you want to visit you should at least tell me.”

“I don’t ever owe you anything.” Minhyuk popped his lips together, “Not even a day’s notice.”

Hyungwon just stared at his blonde visitor in bewilderment, the curiosity evident in his voice, “What the heck do you mean by that. Saying something is only proper etiquette.”

“Whatever.”

“Minhyuk.”

“Sorry, the previous client liked it when I was a bit of a sass and tease. It carried over. Happens sometimes.”

“You are still doing it. Besides you have the same job as me.” Hyungwon groaned, his arms crossing over each other across the chest. He watches Minhyuk sit down loudly and notices him tapping his foot lightly to an invisible rhythm. He hated whenever Minhyuk visited.

Minhyuk nods his head and curtly replies “It may be the same work but it’s definitely not the same job.”

“We cater to the same type of people.”

“Oh sweet Hyungwon, spending all your days with plants for friends has really done a number on your social skills. Plants aren’t people sweety, and even then I help people by romancing them face to face. You help them by pulling out pretty flowers out of a hat.”

“Hold it lover boy I see just as many people a day as you do.” Hyungwon started getting snarky as well. His head began to ache. Minhyuk always did this.

“Really? Says the little boy in a secluded flower shop all the way on the outskirts of town.”

“Let me rephrase, I help just as many people a day as you do.”

“Okay okay,” Minhyuk laughed at the seriousness found in Hyungwon’s tone, “I’m sorry but you get riled up so easily it’s fun.”

“For you it is, for me it’s a headache and a spoiled mood.”

Minhyuk smiled at Hyungwon’s attitude. He like, Hyungwon, was supposed to help people realize their inner feelings and help console lost souls in order to guide them. Their job was simple: make people happy. They were to detoxify them and heal them in a way. Hyungwon had a power with plants, so he dealt with those struggling with secret turmoils indirectly. Minhyuk was more of a people person, and he had a power with getting people to feel at ease, so much so that he could allow them to open their hearts with moments. If Hyungwon did his work in an environment that he could control and use to his benefit, then Minhyuk had one too. He worked as a private and he helped many with feelings of insecurity, loneliness, and abandonment. As such they were polar opposites, both in personalities and work ethic.The only thing that he had in common was they both had powers, both were extremely handsome, and they both worked for same people.

Hyungwon noticed the other smiling at him and frowned in distaste, he made a small grunt in annoyance before he started to massage his temples and asked, “Why are you even here in the first place, and don’t say it was because you were bored.”

“Well there goes your answer.”

“Minhyuk.”

“Fine,” Minhyuk groaned and rolled his eyes. Hyungwon only stared at him dully as he went, “It’s because there has been a little rumor going on and I wanted to come and see if it’s true or not. I can say that it is.”

“What rumor,” Hyungwon’s eyes squinted and he felt the hairs of his neck freeze. He didn’t feel good about this.

“Hyungwon you know the rules right?”

“Of course I know what the rules are Minhyuk. Where are-”

“In the rule book there is nothing about love,” Minhyuk’s voice started to hesitate, as if he was chewing on his own words, “You know that right?”

Hyungwon was appalled, “Minhyuk-”

“I know that there’s nothing in it against the rules but you need to fix this.”

“What do you me-”

“Hyungwon I know. I can tell.” Minhyuk had abandoned all smiles by now. His face and vocal tone were both serious.

“What. What do you know?” Hyungwon threw his hands up in the air, he was exasperated,  “There is nothing to know.”

“Hyungwon don’t play stupid you know what I’m talking about.”

“I don’t Minhyuk so stop playing jackass and just tell me.”

Minhyuk began to blunder, “It’s about you! And that kid in the front of the shop!”

“Changkyun?” Hyungwon crossed his arms around his chest. His head shook and his cheeks were tinted pink, “What about Changkyun? What about me? Why are you bringing him up?”

“Are you blind! You can’t fall in love!”

The blonde stood up at that, Hyungwon stared at him in bewilderment and he went agape, “Oh no you don’t think-”

“Hyungwon I know.”

“I’m not in love with him.”

“You are it’s written all over you.”

“There is no way. I’m not in love.”

“Hyungwon stop this. Stop denying it and stop this entire romance story you have built up. You can’t fall in love. People like us can’t fall in love. It’s like the number one unwritten rule.”

“Even if I was in love how do you know? And why does it even matter I can take care of myself! I’ve got it under control.”

“By denying it into oblivion?”

“No I’m not-”

“You are, you’re not even going to accept it.”

“Well what am I supposed to do mister ‘people like us can’t fall in love’. I can’t fall in love so what. This isn’t love and you’re wrong.”

“Hyungwon you can’t love him. You’ve abandoned humanity a long time ago. You can’t love someone else. Trust me.”

“And why should I? Didn’t you fall in love once before? You came out-”

“Hyungwon!” Minhyuk shouted and Hyungwon knew he touched the sore spot. The room went silent, a thick blanket of tension spreading over them. Minhyuk’s face turned from anger to crushed defeat, “Don’t you dare cross that line. I am saying this to you because it has happened to me before.”

Hyungwon recoiled. He could feel the resentment in Minhyuk’s voice, but he could also see the tragedy told in the other’s eyes. He felt the sadness envelope him and he could make out torrents of grief swirling in them, causing the his irises to become cloudy seas. The plants were also crying, Hyungwon could hear it. They all seemed to hug the other as he stood, defeated, they wanted to comfort him. Hesitantly Hyungwon continued, “Look Minhyuk…”

“It’s okay Hyungwon I shouldn’t have come here in the first place.” He stood up and dusted his knees as Hyungwon watched helpless from his seat. He felt small.

“No you…”

“Just promise me, that you won’t continue this okay?” Minhyuk’s voice began to shake, “Just get over it. Don’t feed on it. It won’t work out. It never has.”

Hyungwon sat, his voice too small and his body burning with shame. He couldn’t do it--speak.

Minhyuk watched him and walked towards him. A clumsy smile gracing his lips, “Don’t worry Hyungwon. It may take some time but you’ll forget him eventually. You just need to smile. Cheer up.”

Hyungwon looked up at Minhyuk and he felt like screaming. It won’t be that simple. You don’t know how it’ll end. You don’t know what he means to me! You don’t know what he is! But he kept his voice silent, out of fear and respect. Instead he let a simple question escape his lips, his voice soft and innocent,  “Do you want a flower?”

Minhyuk stared at him, his eyes empty. He looked drained but still he was able to find strength to nod, “Sure. Why not?”

“Just a second,” Hyungwon stood up and ran to the end of the room. He went about and looked around and grabbed a pair of shears. He ran to a potted plant, splashing in a puddle before he cut off a single stem in all it’s perfection. He began to talk rather quickly, “It’s a Chrysanthemum. You might like it. It means-”

But when he turned around Minhyuk was no longer in the room. In his shock Hyungwon dropped the Chrysanthemum in the puddle, it’s fall creating small ripples to be sent out in all direction.

“Cheerfulness. I hope that you can be happy.” Hyungwon stared at the fallen mum in the puddle and the ripples it made. He stared at the window, at the small amount of light that trickled into the office. He looked at the empty chair and he stood. His mouth closed tightly, as with his fists, he tried hard not to yell and kick things over. Not to mess up the entire room time and time again, over and over again and again and again. Because no matter how he saw it Minhyuk was right, but every fiber in his body told him that Minhyuk was wrong and he fought himself, boy did he fight himself. There was a war starting up in his mind and it was all because of...

Changkyun sat at the counter, his bag in his lap, with knuckles turning white from holding onto it so hard. He heard Hyungwon shouting in his office, with who he didn’t know. Hyungwon hardly ever shouted, he was usually docile and calm. Sleepy and warm. But just then his voice was cold and malicious. Changkyun was scared.

Changkyun stared down at his hands and snuck a glance at his watch. He had to leave now. Today he had a lab for a class at Uni and so he had to excuse himself from work early as well. Classes usually started at seven thirty at the earliest, but lab days called for him to come in at around five thirty. Most days he’d go and talk to Hyungwon about them right before he left early, but with how Hyungwon was Changkyun couldn’t help but he frozen on the spot.

After sitting for five more minutes, Changkyun decided that the lab was worth it. The younger opened up the counter drawer on pulled out the notepad, writing a small note to excuse his absence from the workplace:

Hyungwon

Everything is done! The shelves just need a bit more rearrangement? The plants on the west side needed watering and a few of the shrubs needed pruning. Other than that work is done. I have to go because I have a lab to attend to. I hope that’s okay. See you tomorrow!

-Changkyun

Other than that he was good to go. Changkyun signed his name off and was about to disembark when he paused and picked up the pen again.

p.s. I hope you’re okay. I heard you yelling, don’t pop a vein. I worry about you you know.

Changkyun hopped around the counter and was as quiet as he could be. The entire shop felt ominous and he really wondered what was bothering Hyungwon. What drove Hyungwon to yell at whoever he was talking to. He opened the door and was careful to not let the bell ring before he clambered out. He speed walked for a few minutes, noticing birds, weeds, and the litter scattered about the road. His thoughts were focused only on Hyungwon though.

“Did he find out?” Changkyun muttered. Horror struck him but he shook his head. Hyungwon wouldn’t know. Changkyun made sure to keep it a secret. But he’ll find out eventually… A bus passed by and Changkyun was snapped out of his trance. He would be late if he didn’t start running.

I’ll leave Hyungwon alone for now...I hope that that’s a good decision.

“Okay class that’s all for today. Monday is the class discussion so be prepared. I won’t have a repeat of the last one.”

A collective groan was made by the forty so students in assembly hall. Changkyun being one of them.

“Yeah I understand. Dismissed.” The professor responded dryly, he shook his head at the lack of enthusiasm from the class.

One by one students trickled from the room. Changkyun slowly packed all his things away. He had nowhere to go but home after this, and still Hyungwon lingered in the back of his thoughts. Among other things. It was evening, Hyungwon must have found his note by now, and he was unsure of how the other would react given his mood earlier in the afternoon.

The boy got up slowly and pushed in his chair before slinging his bag around his shoulder. When he raised his eyes from the floor he was met with the eyes of his professor. Changkyun stepped back a bit. He did not want to have this talk.

“Mr. Lim, do you have another moment to spare?”

“Yeah sure,” Changkyun bit his lip.

The professor ignored his apprehension and went right to it, “Have you been thinking about our offer? I think it would be to your benefit.”

“I have. I’ve put a lot of thought into it and I don’t know if it’s for me.”

“Nonsense it’s perfect for you. You know english to a good degree, you’ve been raised in Boston as well. Your grades are above our department and your work is far more advanced than the majority of our students-”

“Excuse me Professor Han but really you’re flattering me too much.” Changkyun smiled, hoping to humor himself to the professor.

“I’m not Mr. Lim. You are an outstanding student, you skipped a few grades of school in America, you're the youngest member of the college taking this course, and in a few years you’ll be out in the field. You have a bright future.”

“But my future will be bright wherever I go right? I don’t have to study abroad at Boston University.”

Professor Han shook his head, “No you’re going. We were able to make a deal with a private college in America, your prestige and name will gain value if you went both here and in America. Your future will surely be brighter Mr. Lim.”

Changkyun started to stutter, “But-I don't know.”

“Okay,” Professor Han started to notice Changkyun’s behavior. He spoke more clearly and looked at the younger straight in the eye, “Calm down. I won’t take what you’re saying as a yes or a no. I’ll give you two more weeks to think about it. But Changkyun, it’s really a good deal. Two years abroad, paid food and boarding, all you need to do is pay for the textbooks and materials. It’s that simple.”

Changkyun shifted under the professor’s gaze, “I guess I will put more thought into it. Thank you for the offer.”

“Atta-boy. Cheer up will you? It won’t be that bad.”

Changkyun forced himself to hide the growing grimace on his face. He started to walk forwards, and his professor followed him, “Thank you Professor Han! I’ll see you next class.”

“No problem kid! Make sure to think about the deal okay. Oh and take these. Pamphlets from Boston University.” The professor shoved them into Changkyun palm right before he left.

Hurriedly, Changkyun walked out the door, stuffing the pamphlets into his backpack.

The offer wasn’t that bad. Paid leave, board, and food. Two years back home, with his friends, people he knew, places he knew.

But there was only one problem.

Hyungwon wasn’t in Boston and Changkyun wasn’t sure what home would feel like if he wasn’t there, and that thought alone scared him.

Cheer up Changkyun, cheer up.

 

a/n:

Chrysanthemum means Cheerfulness, which is what everyone but the professor needs. A chance to cheer up.

This chapter is finally out! Whoo it was hard writing this one, mainly because 1) I didn't now what to do I crashed my previous plans for this chapter in chapter three and 2) writing dialouge is hard for me. But I perservered! I hope you guys are okay with my word choice I feel as if I need to expand it more. And Minhyuk! My bias appeared but I totally killed his real life character haha ;w; Oh well this kind of Minhyuk is okay too. Heartbroken Minhyuk is okay! Heart broken Minhyuk is ok-

I'm telling myself lies now.

Anyways thank you so much for the support! Seeing you really gives me a feeling that I need to continue this and it gets me writing! All the comments make me squeal I'm serious I can't stop smiling when I read each one you're all so sweet oh my!!! I feel all gushy.

As always if there are any major mistakes or errors or confusing parts please tell me! I want this story to be something that can be conveyed to all you.

And I think that the regular weekly updates on Sunday will be stopping soon. I'll be on vacation away from my usual schedule for quite a while. Next week's chapter should be uploaded as per usual but after that any parts will be uploaded at random (aka when I have time to write and internet to upload it on) Please don't leave! If anything I'll try to make those parts longer, that and it will be the final chapter(s) of the story!

Thank you! Have a good day/night/ afternoon!