[fin]

Bathroom Stall

 

I sat on the sink counter, swinging my legs back and forth as I scrolled down my phone. School was just too boring and I couldn’t be bothered to sit in a class where all my teacher did was constantly throw markers at me for not paying attention.

 

I heard someone walk into the bathroom and looked up to see the smartest girl in school with a very aggravated expression on. She loosened the tie around her neck and walked to the sink next to mine, turning it on and washing her face.

 

My eyebrows rose up in surprise. Even when the girl and I used to be friends, I had never seen her this distressed. She turned the sink off but let her face hang above it as the water droplets fell from the tip of her nose. I turned to my side to reach over to the paper dispenser, giving some to her. She looked up at me, taking the paper with a shaky hand. “Thanks.” I slipped my phone into my skirt pocket and nodded. She finished wiping her face dry and fixed her hair before looking back towards me. “Are you skipping class?”

 

I nodded once, a small smile playing on my lips. “Wanna join me?” I was only kidding, but Seungwan decided to jump right up to the spot next to me, her legs swinging back and forth. “Sure.” She said. I whistled lowly. “I didn’t think you would actually accept my offer.” She smiled, looking down at her feet. “Studies are the least of my worries right now.”

 

I started to chew on my bottom lip, sensing her bad mood. “Do you wanna talk about it?” She scoffed. “Do you wanna listen?” I shrugged, leaning back against the mirror. “There’s nothing else to do.” Her eyes scanned my face as if she were searching for something. She didn’t find anything, and so she began to talk. “My family has just been getting on my nerves about colleges.” I hummed.

 

“But you don’t need to worry much about that, right? You have good scores.” I said. “If anything, I should be the one worried.” I added in with a small laugh. She smiled, but her eyebrows were furrowed - she was clearly still in distress. “That’s the thing. I don’t know which college to go to. My mom wants me to go to one and my dad wants me to go to the other. I’ve been up all night thinking about it.”

 

“Well…” Before I could continue my sentence, I heard the click-clack of high heels just outside the bathroom. I widened my eyes, took Seungwan’s hand in mine, and rushed into one of the stalls. I closed it just in time as the female teacher walked in. Seungwan’s eyes were wide - or maybe it was just because I was so close to her - but she was surprised. I did a little ‘Shh!’ face as I listened to the footsteps. Students always went to the bathrooms to skip class so every now and then, teachers would go in to check for the slackers.

 

The heels were coming closer and I realized that the teacher would probably look under the stalls to check for shoes. I bit my lip and placed my hands on Seungwan’s waist. “Trust me?” Seungwan widened her eyes. “Eh?” I gently squeezed her waist. “Jump.” Seungwan’s eyes widened even more. “What?” I lifted her up. “Just jump, so she won’t see your shoes.” I whispered. She did a little hop which was enough for me to pin her against the stall’s wall. I heard her gasp quietly, legs wrapping around my waist and arms wrapping around my neck for balance.

 

The teacher came around at that moment and saw just my feet under the stall. “Are you finishing up in there?” The teacher said. I stared into Seungwan’s eyes as I said my next words, a little smile on my face to ease the tension given off due to our very very close bodies.“Yes, ma’am! I ate something gassy for breakfast today, ma’am!” Seungwan’s eyes got smaller as she held back a laugh. Her head fell forward and onto my shoulder. “You’re so stupid, Seulgi.” She whispered between silent giggles. Her breath tickled my neck.

 

“Very well. Just hurry up so you won’t miss class.” The teacher said before walking out. She and I stayed there in silence, just to make sure the teacher was gone. After a couple of minutes, she tapped on my shoulder. “I think she’s gone. You can put me down now.” I pushed against her body even more. “But I’m comfortable.” I complained.

 

“Seulgi!” She yelped, moving her head back to look me in the eyes. I laughed and carefully set her down. “Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I rolled my eyes playfully and opened the stall door. The two of us walked out just as a group of girls walked in. She was too busy fixing her skirt and tie to notice the girls. She only noticed them when they began to whisper to each other. I widened my eyes and realized just how bad that must’ve seemed. The two of us walking out of the same stall with our clothes all ruffled up... “Uh-oh.” I muttered.

 

“Are you two dating?” One girl asked. She was our junior. They all were. “Uhh…” I heard Seungwan go. I cut in. “Yeah, yeah we are.” I shot her the ‘go along with it’ look and she gulped before nodding. “Yeah.” The girl blinked, looked back at her group of friends, and then smiled. “Ahhh! That’s so cute! You two are so cute together!” The whole group burst out in squeals and giggles and I grabbed Seungwan’s hand. “We’re going now.” I announced amongst the loud squeals before dragging her out of the bathroom.

 

Immediately, she smacked me with her free hand.

 

“Why did you say yes?!” She whisper-yelled, seeing as there were still classes going on. I narrowed my eyes. “So no one can call you a for having stall- with someone you aren’t dating.” She smacked me again. “But we didn’t have stall-!”

 

“It looked like we did.” I shrugged, swinging our connected hands. She huffed and looked away from me. I nudged her. “Hey, relax. We can just pretend-breakup.” She pulled her hand away from mine so she could smack me repeatedly with both of her hands. “We wouldn’t have to pretend-breakup if you hadn’t said yes!” She let out an angry whine and I grabbed hold of her wrists. “It’s better to say you had with someone you’re dating than it is to say you had with someone you are not.” I said.

 

She knew I had a point, I could see it in her face. I smiled and held her hand again. “Besides, it’s not that bad dating me.” Her eyes widened. “I never said that -” I tugged her towards the cafeteria. “I was kidding. Let’s go get lunch.”

 

News spread fast, and suddenly everyone and their mom knew about our ‘relationship’. Seungwan and I sat down at a lunch table only to have a bunch of people come up to us, asking about our relationship. I could tell Seungwan was feeling uncomfortable so I stood up, causing the crowd to take a step back. “Could you all please stop asking us about our relationship? It’s none of your businesses.” There were a few mutters before the crowd dispersed. I sat down with a huff and looked at Seungwan, who was already staring at me. Seungwan crossed her arms, scanning the annoyed expression I had on. “Of course this is going to be big news, Seulgi. You’re you and I’m me. No one would expect us to date.” She said.

 

I rolled my eyes. “Still… They’re all annoying.” Seungwan leaned forward. “This is all your fault.” She narrowed her eyes. I laughed. “Hey, this is better than getting a permanent markup on your record for skipping class, isn’t it?” Seungwan’s lower lip jutted out in a pout. “I suppose…” I lifted a piece of watermelon towards Seungwan’s lips. “Eat up, dear.” I smiled. Seungwan looked about ready to punch me but she ate the watermelon, her lips grazing my fingertips. She chewed albeit a bit stubbornly. After she finished eating it, she spoke again. “When is this fake breakup going to happen?”

 

“You in a rush to be free on the market, Seungwan?” I raised an eyebrow as I plopped a piece of watermelon into my own mouth. Seungwan’s shoulders fell. “No…” I held out another piece to her lips. “We can just come to school tomorrow and ignore each other. That’ll show people that we broke up.” She ate the watermelon and nodded. “Sounds good.”

 

A small laugh left my mouth and she looked at me with a wrinkled forehead. “What are you laughing at?” I shook my head. “Nothing. It’s just that…” Another small laugh came from me. Seungwan tilted her head in confusion. I sat up straighter. “We barely even talk and suddenly we’re dating. I mean… were we even considered friends before today?” I put another piece of watermelon into my mouth. Seungwan took a moment to think about it before she spoke.

 

“You’re one of those people that I can stop talking to but can immediately start talking to as if no time had gone by, you know?” She said honestly. I nodded and hummed. “That’s a good thing.” Seungwan nodded. “It’s a really good thing. We haven’t spoken since junior high school.” She smiled. “And now you’re my girlfriend.”

 

I ignored the butterflies in my stomach at her last statement. A teasing grin came onto my face. “And I can’t believe I had stall- with the smartest girl at school.” Seungwan threw the piece of watermelon she had at me. I dodged it with a laugh. “That’s a waste of food!” I scolded her, though I threw a piece at her as well.

 

“We did not have stall-.” She stuck her tongue out at me.

 

I winked at her. “Not yet.”

 

She nearly threw the whole box of watermelon pieces at me.

 

-

 

long time no see :p

 

y’all are nasty btw you prob thought this was a from the foreword didn’t u