Chapter 7

An End Has a Start

So I'm posting this a bit earlier than I planned because I was going to write three parts to the chapter, but I feel like the third part will work better to start off the next chapter. Compared to the last chapter, this one is much shorter, although I hope the bit of cute woogyu makes up for it. And, thankfully, there's no cliffhanger here. But you can look forward to some new (and mysterious) characters in the next chapter. Okay, that's it. Enjoy~

 

 

 

 

If Sunggyu's somehow become the leader of their odd little group, then he figures he should do his best to look out for them. The first step is getting rid of Myungsoo and Sungyeol. It's best that they don't know everything just yet. For everyone's sake. So, summoning what little authority he has and putting as much baseless confidence into his voice as he can, Sunggyu manages to convince the two men that the impending conversation has nothing to do with them. He expects more resistance from Myungsoo given what he knows already, but the other gives in after a quick word from Howon. (Maybe he assumes Howon will fill him in later.) Sungyeol, the only truly clueless one among them, accepts the order without complaint. Although confused and growing increasingly curious, he still follows Myungsoo out of the record store.

The second step is figuring out how to get more information from the stranger than they have to give. He wants to know what kind of powers the guy has and what he knows without having to tell him too much about himself or the others.

"You're going to have to tell them the truth sometime." The guy starts a slow walk around the store, looking through the different stacks of CDs and records. The four men stand by the register and watch him closely. From his first impression, Sunggyu doesn't think there's a lot to be concerned about. As serious as he looks, Sunggyu doesn’t sense any danger from him. He'd claimed he wanted to talk so if he had any ulterior motives they would've surely been made known by now. But it doesn't hurt to be careful. They still don't know what he can do.

"Who are you exactly?" The question comes from Dongwoo suddenly. He stares intently at the other like he can read his mind. (Sunggyu can, but he's wary of trying again.)

The guy pauses in flipping through a collection of vintage 45's to look over at them in surprise. "I didn't introduce myself, did I? My name's Sungjong," he says, crossing the room so that he's only standing a few feet away from the other four men. "I work a couple blocks from here. We sort of met yesterday." He looks at Woohyun with a frown. "I'm sorry about what happened, by the way. I didn't mean for things to end up that way. I wanted to apologize, but I didn't think you'd believe me if I tried to explain myself. And it seemed a little creepy that I followed you all the way to the hospital."

Woohyun accepts Sungjong's apology with a nod. "I'll be okay. But what you said before, about telling the truth, what did you mean?"

Sungjong tilts his head to the side slightly as he appraises them. "We all know you guys aren't like most people—well—not you. Just the three of you," he says, gesturing at Sunggyu, Howon, and Dongwoo.

"And what about you," Howon counters.

"I'm also, um, not like most people."

"How?"

Sungjong hesitates, his mouth hanging open slightly with no words coming out. Sunggyu hears him start and restart his answer a couple times in his head before he settles on, "I can see the future." His eyes dart between the men in front of him as he gauges their reactions. While Sunggyu hadn't imagined that kind of power for Sungjong, he doesn't think the other needs to be so cautious. Not if he knows as much as he seems to.

"I don't suppose you have any proof," Sunggyu ventures. He already knows that's not normally the kind of power one can turn off and on like a switch. "Not that we don't believe you. It's just, you know, to make sure."

Sungjong nods amiably. His shoulders have lost some of their tension and he even has the tiniest of smiles on his face. "I understand. I do know all of your names if that counts. Sunggyu, Dongwoo, Woohyun, and Howon." He points to each of them as he calls their names. They all stare at him in varying degrees of astonished. "And the other two were Sungyeol and Myungsoo."

Howon easily shakes off his surprise. "Do you know our blood types and birthdays, too?"

Sungjong's smile grows a little as he sticks his hands into the pockets of his jacket. "No," he admits, "I don't know that much. But, if you don't mind, it would be nice to know what you guys can do."

"That’s fair," Dongwoo agrees. He moves past their little group to approach Sungjong. "I don’t think there’s a name for my power, but I can alter or erase memories. I can show you if you want to see how it works. It’s really simple." He takes a step closer to the younger man as if he’s already said yes. Sungjong immediately takes a step back.

"I-I’ll just take your word for it," he insists. Dongwoo laughs as he steps back with his hands up in surrender.

Howon moves to stand next to Dongwoo. "Hopefully telekinesis isn’t as intimidating to you."

"That sounds pretty cool actually," Sungjong says, bringing a proud smile to the other’s face. When Howon takes a step towards him, Sungjong doesn’t flinch. "I wouldn’t mind seeing that." He looks apologetically at Dongwoo after he says that. "No offense."

Dongwoo laughs again. "None taken."

Howon’s not as serious this time as he prepares himself to use his power. Probably because Sungjong’s reaction had been better than Myungsoo’s so he doesn’t feel as much pressure. He focuses on the front door, but doesn’t raise his arm like the first time. That must mean he’s learned how to use just his mind rather than having to channel his power through his hands. Sunggyu feels an odd sense of pride to see how quickly Howon has adapted to his powers. Especially since he was the one who taught Howon that bit. It had been a matter of getting Howon to clear his head and not try so hard. His mind would be a jumble of thoughts and he would tense up too much whenever he tried to use his power. That had blocked his power from working or sent it into overdrive. With the incident with the pen the day before he obviously he hadn’t been applying Sunggyu’s advice. But now Howon seems to be taking it seriously.

After a few seconds of silence within the store, the chimes above the door start to jingle. The door itself remains closed until Howon beckons it open with a smooth curl of his finger. The chimes sound again as the door swings open. Sunggyu can imagine the smirk on Howon’s face at Sungjong’s impressed gasp. Howon drops his arm, pushing the door closed with the gesture, and turns to look at Sungjong.

Dongwoo claps excitedly before hopping over to Howon. "You did it," he cheers, wrapping the other up in a hug that Howon happily returns.

"Does that mean this is the first time that’s happened?" With an amused smile, Sungjong eyes the two men in front of him. "I assumed you had more practice."

Howon lets out an embarrassed chuckle and gently pries off Dongwoo’s arms. "It’s worked before," he argues. "I mean, not so…well, but I know what I’m doing."

Sungjong only smiles wider at him. If you say so, Sunggyu hears him think. Sunggyu's not surprised when Sungjong's eyes fall on him. "And what about you?"

Like the younger man had earlier, Sunggyu finds himself carefully choosing his words. He doesn't want to sound awkward or overly dramatic. "I, uh, I can hear people's thoughts."

Sungjong's eyes go wide at his revelation. "Y-you're a telepath," he stammers. He starts to think something but cuts off mid-thought.

"I don't hear everything," he says in the hopes of reassuring the other. This might be the most freaked out he's seen anyone he's told about his power. "I have it under control—well, mostly. Some things get through, but for the most part I only hear things if I want to. If that makes sense." His explanation seems to calm Sungjong down slightly, although his eyes are still wide with fear.

"What about last night?"

"That was..." Sunggyu trails off, trying to think of a tactful way to explain himself. He can't think of one. "...something else," he finishes lamely. "Besides hearing thoughts I can also enter people's minds and, I guess, go through all of their thoughts and feelings and that's what I was trying to do yesterday. Obviously I didn't get very far."

"Why were you trying to go through my thoughts?" Somehow the tables have turned and now Sungjong is the one full of suspicion. Sunggyu doesn't blame him, but he definitely thinks he had been justified in his methods.

"I heard you wondering if you should be in the hospital," he answers calmly. "I thought you were there for Woohyun and I wanted to make sure. I wasn't expecting you to notice me—that hadn't happened before—not that I do it often. It's not something I do a lot, or ever, I swear." Sunggyu doesn't know why he wants Sungjong to trust him so badly. He still knows virtually nothing about him; he could be a very convincing liar for all any of them knew. Maybe it's because he gets the same vibe from him that he'd gotten from Howon. That Sungjong is alone in dealing with his powers and he needs some kind of support even if it's from them and he doesn't realize it at the moment.

"I always try to be aware of what's happening in my head," Sungjong says, almost like he's talking about a book or a TV show. The composed attitude he'd walked into the store with is back. His face is schooled into a neutral expression. "My visions don't really follow a schedule, but I can usually tell when one's about to start. Even though you showing up felt the same I could also sense something was off."

Sunggyu nods in understanding. "I’m sorry I scared you," he apologizes. Sungjong gives a small smile as his acceptance.

"I know you pretty much already know who I am," Woohyun starts, clearing his throat as he steps closer to Sungjong. He holds out his hand for the other to shake. "But I'm Woohyun, one of the un-special ones."

"But you are special. To me." Four pairs of eyes turn to stare at Sunggyu. "What," he snaps defensively. "I can say stuff like that sometimes." Dongwoo and Woohyun are grinning like idiots while Howon and Sungjong are nearly identical with the judging looks they're sending him. Sunggyu crosses his arms over his chest. As the unofficial leader he won't let himself be embarrassed so easily.

In a show of mercy (at least, that's how Sunggyu sees it), Sungjong turns back to Woohyun. "Nice to meet you," he says, grasping the other's hand in his own. They share a smile as they shake hands.

With the introductions out of the way, Sunggyu decides to take control of the conversation. He moves to join the others in the middle of the room, his arms still crossed over his chest. "Now that we've gotten to know each other I think we should get to the real reason why you're here. You said you wanted to talk."

Sungjong hums as he considers his reply. "I wanted to talk about yesterday at the café." He glances at Dongwoo, Howon, and Woohyun before his eyes go back to Sunggyu. "I had a vision while I was cleaning the table and that’s why I dropped the tray. It was like I was thrown into the moment and I lost control of myself. But that’s not what’s important. The vision I had… It was about all of us. Myungsoo and Sungyeol, too."

"What about us," Dongwoo asks quietly.

"There’s someone looking for us."

Sunggyu’s stomach drops to the floor. He hadn’t been prepared for that. "W-who?"

"And why," Howon follows up.

Sungjong sighs, shaking his head. "I didn’t see that much. I just know that someone’s looking for us and he’s going to find us."

 

 

---

 

 

Sunggyu's just flipped the sign on the door to closed when he feels Woohyun's arms wrap around his waist. It couldn't be anyone else since they're the only two left in the store. He can't help the smile that lights up his face. "You know; you really seem to be abusing your 'free-hug' privileges."

Woohyun presses closer to him, hooking his chin on Sunggyu's shoulder to look at his face. "I'm just trying to make up for all of the hugs I've missed. You owe me at least a year's worth."

"I didn't know you were keeping count."

Woohyun hums as he tightens his hold on Sunggyu. "Stop talking; you're ruining the mood." Ignoring the other's disbelieving scoff, Woohyun nuzzles his face into his neck. "That's better," he breathes against Sunggyu's skin.

A shiver runs down Sunggyu's spine despite his best efforts to remain still. He would be lying if he says he's only indulging Woohyun. He feels better—safer, happier—with Woohyun close to him, holding him, touching him. He hadn't noticed it before; hadn't even felt the need to think about it. But now he realizes that it's always been Woohyun who made him feel better. He needs this as much as Woohyun does. Not that he would ever say so.

"So, uh, I was thinking," Woohyun starts slowly. He picks his head up and moves around Sunggyu until he's standing in front of him. His hands rest on Sunggyu's hips almost like they're holding him in place. "I know there's some whack job out to get us for some reason, but maybe later you might want to come over? To, I don't know, hang out or whatever."

Sunggyu tries not to laugh at Woohyun's transparent attempt at nonchalance. What kind of friends (or two people that don't quite fit that label) just "hang out" late at night? Sunggyu isn't particularly smooth when it comes to this kind of thing either, but he would rather if Woohyun didn't beat around the bush so obviously. "Why not now?" He slides his hands up Woohyun's arms to wrap his own arms around the other's neck.

Woohyun's eyelids flutter slightly as he takes a deep breath. "Because I already promised Sungyeol I would explain all of this to him. Or maybe just most of it." Dongwoo and Howon had left a while ago to have their own talk with Myungsoo. That conversation will probably be much easier than the one Woohyun’s about to have with his friend. At least Myungsoo is in on the big secret. "Was that a yes or…" Woohyun bites his lip as he waits for Sunggyu’s answer.

"Is that a good idea right now?"

"Is anything a good idea for the two of us," Woohyun throws back, a frown settling on his face. He doesn’t seem angry just yet and Sunggyu takes that as a good sign. He can still fix things.

Smoothing his hands back down Woohyun's arms, Sunggyu hesitates before quietly admitting, "I don't want to hurt you. I know you're not made of glass and if I want to be with you I shouldn't push you away, but I—" He pauses, his eyes falling shut as he lets out a sigh of frustration. Woohyun is silent in front of him. He squeezes Sunggyu's waist lightly for reassurance and to urge him to continue talking. Sunggyu's expecting the warm look on the other's face when he opens his eyes. He holds Woohyun’s gaze for a moment before he speaks again. "Sometimes... Sometimes I feel like I'm going to mess this up. That I’ll disappoint you somehow. I know it’s only been, like, a day and we haven’t really talked about this—about us. Maybe it’s because knowing that you’re in love with me, it feels like you must have high expectations for being with me. And I want to live up to them—no, I want to be better than them, but I don’t feel like I can."

Woohyun leans in to pull the older man into a hug. He rests his head on Sunggyu’s shoulder, facing away from him. "Believe it or not, you’re not the only one with doubts." His voice is as gentle as his hold on Sunggyu. "Sometimes I think I’m being too clingy. Or that you’re only with me out of pity. And even though I don’t want to lose you, I don’t want to hold onto you too tightly either. I feel like I’m going to mess this up too when I just really want this to work."

Sunggyu runs his fingers through Woohyun’s hair to call his attention. "I think you’re doing fine so far," he says when Woohyun meets his eyes. He doesn’t know what they’re supposed to call each other now or what they are together, but whatever it is, he thinks Woohyun is much better at it than him.

"Yeah?" Sunggyu’s answering nod brings a smile to his face. "Well, you’re not so bad yourself." He leans in again to press a quick kiss to Sunggyu’s lips. And then another. By the third one, Sunggyu is grinning along with him. As he’s leaning in for the fourth a loud knock on the store’s front door makes them jump. They spring apart, eyes wide with barely restrained cries of (fear) surprise on the tips of their tongues, and turn to look at the door.

Sungyeol is standing on the other side of the glass.

Feeling guilty though he knows he shouldn’t, Sunggyu looks away from the younger man’s knowing gaze. "I guess time’s up," he says as casually as he can manage to Woohyun.

"You’re welcome to join us if you want. That would actually make things a lot easier."

Sunggyu can think of quite a few things the three of them together would be. And easy isn’t one of them. But the inevitable awkwardness isn’t the only reason he’s hesitant about facing Sungyeol. "I think I’ll sit this one out. I’ve freaked enough people out today with my powers." Woohyun smiles at that. "But if your other offer’s still on the table, I wouldn’t mind taking you up on it."

Woohyun is speechless for a moment, as if he can’t believe Sunggyu actually agreed. "O-okay, that’s—yeah, okay. I’ll call you later." He starts to move forward as if to give Sunggyu a hug or kiss him again, but thinks better of it. He offers a small wave instead. Sunggyu returns it and even manages a wave at Sungyeol, who seems surprised by the gesture at first. He raises a hand slowly in response, obviously confused by their exchange. With one last wave, Woohyun joins his friend outside and Sunggyu is left alone in the store. He stares at the door for a moment before letting out a sigh into the silent room. After such a long and eventful day, he’s relieved that the night is turning out to be much quieter. He doesn’t know what to expect the next day, but with his plans for the rest of the night he decides he’ll worry about it later.