Chapter 12

An End Has a Start

I'd like to think I know when and how this story is going to end, but who knows. This chapter is pretty short and not exciting at all. It does have a bit of cute woogyu as a break from all of the serious stuff. Plus, a quick update on Hoya since it's been a couple chapters. There'll be a lot more action in the next chapter and hopefully the gang will be reunited. We'll see.

 

 

 

For a few short moments after Sunggyu wakes up, he's forgotten everything that's happened in the last twenty-four hours. He forgets that Dongwoo, Howon, Sungjong, and Sungyeol are missing. He forgets the panic and fear that had gripped him. For almost ten seconds, it's just like any other day.

Sunggyu turns over on the couch that he quickly realizes isn't his own and cracks his eyes open one at a time. It all comes back to him at once and he holds in the heavy sigh threatening to come out. This is Woohyun's apartment. Sunggyu hadn't wanted to go back to his own knowing Dongwoo wouldn't be there. He must've fallen asleep, though he doesn't remember feeling tired. As he takes in his surroundings, he finds that he's alone in the living room. He doesn't have to wonder where Woohyun might be for very long. The smell of fresh coffee is in the air and he can hear the clinking of dishes.

After a quick stop at the bathroom, Sunggyu goes to join Woohyun in the kitchen. The younger man is busy setting the table, a frilled apron around his waist. He doesn't seem to notice Sunggyu until he's standing right next to him. "You're up," he states unnecessarily. "You must be hungry. You did sleep for almost ten hours. I'm almost done with breakfast, okay?"

Sunggyu nods, a small smile pulling at his lips. Despite their current situation, Woohyun still manages to think about someone other than himself. Probably because it's his way of coping. Keeping his mind and body busy keeps him from panicking or shutting down. Sunggyu is more grateful to have a friend like Woohyun than he thinks he can ever put into words. Especially because he's not handling things quite as well. He blames himself for all of this even though the rational part of him knows there was nothing he could've done. He's supposed to be the leader—unofficially, but still. It's his responsibility to look out for everyone, to keep everyone safe. With everything that's happened, he's obviously doing a piss-poor job.

It's not your fault. Woohyun's voice is gentle even in Sunggyu's head as he reaches out to give a comforting squeeze to Sunggyu's shoulder. "We're all in this together, you know. Me, you, Myungsoo. And the others, too."

Sunggyu can only nod again. He does feel a little better. He's still worried and scared and unsure of what to do, but the weight on his shoulders is more manageable now. He takes a seat at the table as Woohyun goes back to the stove. "Why'd you put down three plates," he asks, looking around the small table.

"Myungsoo's coming over. He was meeting with Howon's bodyguards, but he should be here soon." Just as the words leave Woohyun's mouth, his door buzzes. He and Sunggyu glance at each other in surprise.

"I'll get it," Sunggyu volunteers as he stands up. He gestures for Woohyun to get back to cooking, but the other stays rooted to his spot. He has that sheepish grin on his face that tells Sunggyu he must be up to something. "What?"

Woohyun looks down at his feet, unnecessarily shy. "You forgot something," he says quietly.

"And what's that?"

In lieu of an answer, Woohyun shuffles over to Sunggyu like a kid. Sunggyu can't say he was expecting anything else when Woohyun presses their lips together for a short kiss. They’ve know each other too long for him to really be surprised by anything Woohyun does. "Good morning," the younger man greets him belatedly.

A slow smile spreads across Sunggyu's face. "Have you always been this cute," he asks teasingly, his hands naturally settling on the other's waist. Having spent most of their friendship not consciously thinking of Woohyun in that way, Sunggyu is only now coming to the realization.

"All my life," Woohyun responds immediately. He doesn’t seem at all embarrassed by his answer. "Took you long enough to notice, though."

 

 

---

 

 

The relief Sungyeol feels at not dying only lasts a few seconds after he opens his eyes. His body feels like it's burning from the inside out. Like his organs and bones are being boiled. It hurts just to breathe and even more if he moves. He's still lying on the table with the machines monitoring him. The metal feels hot under his fingers; he can even feel it through his clothes.

He's alone in the room as far as he can tell. That doesn't seem to be a good thing, though, since what Sungyeol could really use now is a glass of water. His mouth and throat are dry and with the amount of sweat he can feel on his skin, he's sure he must be dehydrated. So much for hospitality, he thinks wryly. Not that he ever believed Dr. Moon's good guy act.

As he starts to bring a hand up to wipe the sweat rolling down his forehead, he realizes that his arms aren't tied down anymore. Neither are his legs. It seems shortsighted to Sungyeol at first. If he's here against his will, he's bound to seize any opportunity to escape. But when he thinks about it, they must already know how weak he is; that he's not a threat to anyone. He doesn't think he can sit up let alone stand up and walk out the door. And the pain isn't going anywhere.

But he has to try.

He probably won't get very far, not in this state. But he doesn't want to lie around waiting to be Dr. Moon's guinea pig. His first attempt to get up doesn't go very well. His body doesn't respond when he tries to raise himself up to his elbows. He decides instead to roll himself off the table. There's a very small chance he'll land on his feet, but if all else fails he can just crawl across the floor. First, he pulls off the cords connecting him to the heart and brain monitors. It wouldn't help to bring those down with him and give anyone a reason to come in while he's trying to escape. He slides his legs slowly to one side of the table, wincing quietly at the pins and needles he feels when he moves. Once he reaches the edge, he braces himself before letting his legs fall over. The rest of his body follows soon after and lands with a thump. Sungyeol lays face down on the floor for what could be minutes or hours. It's hard to tell when the prickling under his skin has intensified. Every part of his body hurts and he starts to think this was a bad idea. As determined as he is, that's not nearly enough for him to get further than this. He has no strength, no energy. He might be able to crawl his way to the door, but he's not sure how he'll get out.

In the end, his efforts prove to be futile. The door slides open just as Sungyeol finishes catching his breath. His eyes fall on a pair of heels. He's never seen the shoes before, but he already knows who's standing in them.

There's an almost sad look in the woman's eyes when she crouches down. She must find him pitiful lying on the floor like this, Sungyeol thinks with dismay. It's not as much a hit to his pride as another reason to be afraid. If they see him suffering like this she or Dr. Moon might decide to put him out of his misery.

"What are you doing?"

The question is unnecessary. It's obvious what Sungyeol was trying to do. "Just stretching my legs," he replies slowly. His voice is raspy and his throat is hoarse, but somehow the least painful part of him.

The response brings the tiniest of smiles to the woman’s face. She stands up and walks closer to Sungyeol, looming too high over him for him to crane his neck to look at her. "This will be a lot easier if you only do what you’re supposed to," she tells him.

 

 

---

 

 

Howon should be worried about himself. From what that supposed doctor has told him, he's using Howon and Sungyeol, Sungjong, and Dongwoo in some insane experiment that should work. He hasn't said what he intends to do with them when it's over—if they even make it that far. They must know too much by now and if any of them expend their usefulness, there's no telling what might happen to them. But the only thing—the only person—Howon can seem to think about is Sungyeol. He feels responsible for whatever happens to the other. It's his fault they're here in the first place.

His feelings for Sungyeol also aren't helping. He wants to protect him and make sure he's safe no matter the risk, but he needs to be rational. It wouldn't do either of them any good for Howon to lose control. Which is why he'd let Dr. Moon draw his blood without a fight. For Sungyeol's sake he'll cooperate as best as he can.

The one thing that has kept Howon going in the three days (according to Sunggyu) that he's been imprisoned, is Sungyeol's smile. He'll never admit that to anyone, not even Sungyeol himself. But it's still the truth. The other's smile has a warmth and radiance to it that gives Howon hope. Hope that he'll get out, hope that he'll see Sungyeol again, hope that everything will be okay.

Am I interrupting something?

Sunggyu's voice jars Howon from his thoughts. He ends up looking around the empty room, momentarily forgetting that the other man isn't physically with him. Try knocking next time, he thinks back. The fact that he can't see Sunggyu's face (and subsequently avoid the knowing looks he'd send him) makes him even more embarrassed. He really hopes Sunggyu won't bring up how much his thoughts center around Sungyeol.

Sunggyu's laugh echoes in Howon's head. I'm pretty sure that's impossible, but I'll keep it in mind next time.

Thanks. Is there a reason you're in my head or do you get a kick out of eavesdropping on people's thoughts?

There is something I wanted to talk about, Sunggyu replies. He still sounds too amused to Howon. But now I'm curious. Are you always thinking about Sungyeol or is it just because you don't have anything else going on?

Not for the first time, Howon wonders why out of the four of them Sunggyu had to invade his mind. Can you just get to your point?

You're no fun. Howon rolls his eyes, but waits for Sunggyu to continue. Myungsoo has a theory. We were trying to figure out why I can't get through to any of the other guys and he thought there might be something—or someone—blocking me.

Like some kind of signal blocker?

Sort of, Sunggyu agreed. Have you noticed anything? Is there anyone who might have that kind of power?

Howon goes silent for a moment, wracking his brain for anything unusual (well, more unusual). There is... Do you know someone named Hyuna?

No. Should I?

Dongwoo introduced me to her once; they seemed like friends. I thought he might've mentioned her to you.

Well, what about her, Sunggyu asked.

Howon can tell he already knows the answer. She's here. But she's not locked up like the rest of us.

She’s one of them.