Our Heart.

Same Heart.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Our Heart.       

Hara sat, tapping her fingers on the hard wood of the large uncomfortable chair she was forced into as soon as she entered her family’s lawyer’s office. She was alone at the moment, not counting the stiff lawyer that sat behind an intimidating oak desk. She’d met him quite a few times, but he was always so cold and sever that she never really bothered being friendly with him, and considering what this meeting was about, she was not going to do any different.  

Looking around the dimly lit room, Hara felt a little claustrophobic. Not only was it dark, but the color was dull, the bookshelves towered floor to ceiling with thick manuscripts, and she could even see dust floating about from the bit of sunlight that shun in through the blinds.

While law was exactly what she was going to school for, being stuffed in a dark office reading off, essentially, dead people’s final letters was not what she wanted. That’s why she was going into the much more exciting world of family law. There was a lot more action in that with parents always fighting and arguing over who gets the kids.

Of course Hara realized her thoughts on this was harsh, but whether she was a part of the system or not things like that would happen, so why not join in. she has to make a living too right?

It was then, in the middle of Hara’s not so clear life contemplation, which the door opened to reveal the pretty secretary of the lawyer. “Mr. Kim, Mrs. Goo and Miss Park are here,” she said before bowing and letting the two women in.

There was a round of greetings between the four, but Hara mostly mumbled and gave a small bow. She still didn’t feel quite comfortable with Bom, but the woman seemed as happy and hyper as ever. Hara supposed even in this situation Bom wouldn’t change.

After a few minutes of small talk Lawyer Kim cleared his throat. “It’s time to get to business ladies.” The three of them sobered as he opened an envelope in front of him. It was a small stack of papers, but with his reading glasses on he flipped through to what seemed to be a highlighted page.

“Yes,” he started, “I’ve already discussed with Mrs. Goo that all property and possession as well as finances are now under her name, but the late Mr. Goo did leave a small amount in separate accounts for Miss Jenny Park and Miss Goo Hara. They were savings to help you along at the time of Mr. Goo’s choosing, but as it states here in his will, upon his death the money shall be dispersed.”

The lawyer then handed two bank cards and notebooks to each of the girls. When Hara looked in hers she was not impressed by the number, but she was thankful. Her father was thinking of them in ways he didn’t need to. While the money wouldn’t get her far, it would be helpful if an emergency ever came up she supposed.

Lawyer Kim continued.

“Also,” he said, handing out several small white envelopes, “these are letters Mr. Goo had written for each of you. He would update them at the beginning of each year and these are the latest.”

Hara turned over hers which felt very light. It held maybe one sheet of paper. She then glanced over to find her mother with a much heavier looking envelope and Bom with two the weight of her own. Hara scowled knowing Bom got two while she only received one.

“Considering that your mother passed a year ago Miss Park your father has written for you to be given your letter as well as hers,” the lawyer explained.

Both Hara and her mother gasped at this information. “Bommie?” Mrs. Goo whispered, patting the other’s hand, “Why didn’t you say anything?” Bom only smiled her normal smile and shook her head. She then waved the envelopes lightly and gave a thank you to Lawyer Kim. “I’ll read them well,” she said lightly.

Hara could only clutch her own letter tightly, bending the edges as she did. Her mind was in too much of a confusion for her to fully process that piece of information at the moment. She’d have to address it later. Shaking her head, she put her attention back on the man before them.

“The last important matter,” he went on, “is the spreading of the ashes. Mr. Goo requested for his remains to not be stored at the cemetery vaults or to be taken in by the family, but to be spread by his two daughters at a place of their choosing. He only asked that you do it together.”

“Of course they will,” Mrs. Goo said. Bom nodded as well, “Yes, we can do it before I leave for the airport.”

“Leave?” Mrs. Goo gasped, “But you just got here.” Bom laughed, “I got a call on my way here. I have been requested for a shoot in Vancouver. It’s big money so I can’t miss it. Sorry Mama Goo.”

Mrs. Goo pouted, but nodded in understanding. She then turned to Hara and asked, “You can go tomorrow after your interview right?” Hara turned to her, but her tongue felt huge in . She couldn’t speak properly.

Thankfully Bom gave her a moment to collect herself by saying, “Actually, my flight leaves at five in the morning. It’s very last minute like I said and I’ll only be getting there a few hours before the shoot so I can’t miss the flight.”

“Oh no,” Mrs. Goo covered anxiously, “But our Hara needs to study for her interview. Aish, I shouldn’t have forced you two out today. She would have had more time. What do we do? Should we wait to spread the ashes until you can return?”

“No,” Hara said, finally able to speak. She looked at the two women on her left. “We’ll do it tonight. I even know where we can go.”

Her mother blinked at her, surprised. “What about dinner? And will you have everything done for your interview?” she asked worried.

“We can always eat out, or take something with us,” Bom suggested shrugging. Hara also patted her mother in a placating way. “I will have everything done, do not worry.” Her mother pouted again but could only nod her acceptance.

 

“You know, I’m surprised you chose this place,” Bom chuckled, adjusting the full bag on her back.

In return Hara gave her a bored look and zipped up her puffy jacket. “Why? Do I not look the type of person that would go on a mountain walk?”

Bom shook her head, ping her own jacket. “No, because this is where dad brought us when I came to visit the first time. You aren’t really the sentimental type. Also, it’s dark out.”

Hara scoffed, “Don’t tell me what type I am.” It was getting dark though, not that she would admit it worried her. They decided to wait until after dinner, so it was already after eight by the time they finished eating and prepared themselves. Two women alone on a nature walk up a mountain during the evening could be potentially be dangerous, but they were together so Hara tried not to worry too much. “Just come on already,” she began to walk, “it’ll take almost an hour to reach the spot, then probably another thirty minutes or so to do…our thing, and then another

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter