part iv

stardom

(wowhyun is now online)

wowhyun: oppa is also a state of being, you know

Gyu: no it's not


 (yeol is now online)

yeol: you're his #1 hype girl

(Gyu is now offline)
(Gyu is now online)
(Gyu is typing...)
(Gyu is now offline)


(Kanto is now online)

Kanto: hey dude
Kanto: did you finish your half yet?

Gyu: just emailed you

Kanto: thanks
Kanto: sorry we couldn't meet up yesterday to work on the lyrics together

Gyu: that's alright
Gyu: did you listen to it?

Kanto: another masterpiece from genius gyu

Gyu: you always know just how to cheer me up haha

Kanto: im just sayin'...
Kanto: your demos are all good


Today, Sunggyu is meeting up with... you know... gulp... him.

Not Kanto. Sunggyu is more scared of his own mom than of his younger classmate. No, the one he's meeting is-

"Ah, Sunggyu-sshi!" Nam Woohyun calls, running to catch up with him. "I'm late, aren't I?" He rubs the back of his head almost bashfully. "Sorry."

"Oh.. really? I- I didn't notice," Sunggyu lies. He'd been waiting 10 extra minutes, but that's really not bad even if he was with his peers. Plus, it's not like he's about to complain...

"Let's go eat somewhere," Woohyun insists. (And, again, not complaining.)

It's only after they're settled in at their table in the corner, hidden away, that their conversation really begins. At first, Sunggyu tries to be nice. Well, that's not true. First he says little to nothing, since he doesn't want to accidentally say anything wrong, but then Woohyun tells him not to be shy.

"I'm not shy," he says bluntly.

"Okay," Woohyun smiles. "I'm shy, though."

Sunggyu looks at him funny. "For real?"

"Maybe just right now." He shoves a big chunk of meat in his mouth.

"I'm not even as intimidating as a hamster," Sunggyu insists, pointing to himself with his chopsticks. "Would you be shy around a hamster?"

"Are you comparing yourself to a hamster? Hamster Gyu?"

"If you make that a thing, I will sue you," Sunggyu threatens.

"Are you a lawyer?" Woohyun laughs.

"No," he says sullenly. "My mom wanted me to be one but reading cases gives me anxiety."

"I probably would have been on a soccer team," the other says conversationally.

"I know," Sunggyu says. "You still could, you know."

"Maybe." He shrugs. "That would be fun. What do you actually do, though?"

"I haven't graduated yet," he mutters. Louder, he says, "I have a band though."

Woohyun perks up at that. "You sing too? Why didn't you tell me?" he whines. "Is it a rock band?"

"Sometimes. Mostly it's a 'whatever people will pay for' band." He feels very weird telling his, you know, his idol, about his dinky garage band. (Okay, that's not fair. They're really good. He knows they're good.) "And sometimes people actually pay, too."

He laughs. "You're weird."

"I'm weird? Speak for yourself!" He gives him a purposefully judgmental look.

Woohyun pretends like he's been shot in the chest and goes, "Ah, my feelings hurt."

"Don't be sad," Sunggyu jokes.

"Don't you still like me?" Woohyun leans like he'll fall over. "I can't-"

"Alright, sorry!" Sunggyu sticks a spoonful of rice into the other's mouth to shut him up. "Who knew you were such a baby?" he grumbles to himself.

"It's not a bad thing," Woohyun says, chewing. "I like that you're not trying to hide that you're weird."

"Yeah, then you see my friends and you realize I'm the most normal one. They... are monsters." He shakes his head.

"Why?"

"What, why are they monsters? They tricked me into thinking they were humans but they're actually evil." He loves them all, of course. He just... can also see how much easier his life would be without all their... plotting. "They walk and worlds crumble."

"Oh, now I want to see them," Woohyun says seriously.

"Maybe around you, they won't act like jackasses," Sunggyu jokes.

"So does that mean I can meet them?"

"Did I just get tricked?" he whispers to himself.

Woohyun just smiles innocently.


They finish lunch and make a little more small talk, this time focusing on Woohyun's recent activities. Sunggyu compliments him (to his face! is this real life?) on his broadcast from a few days before.

"Aw, you watched it," Woohyun coos.

"That was your first time doing that song live, right?"

"Yeah! Did you really like it? Tell me the truth."

"You sounded really good." Sunggyu gives him two thumbs up.

Woohyun smiles shyly down at his hands but otherwise doesn't respond. "I'll go pay the bill."

"Wait," Sunggyu says, grabbing his wrist as he tries to stand up. "I should pay, I'm older."

"I asked you to come meet me," is Woohyun's argument.

"Let's just split-"

"Are you arguing with free food?" Woohyun pretends to chastise him.

Sunggyu opens his mouth to do so, but wisely closes it and shakes his head 'no.' "Then... thanks."

"There, I win." He gets out his credit card.

"Is it a competition?" Sunggyu asks incredulously.

"No," Woohyun says simply.

They leave the restaurant, only to stop about a foot down the sidewalk.

"Well, I should get going..." He doesn't want to admit it, but his workload really will kill him if he doesn't stay on top of it today; and, of course, he doesn't want to take up any more of an idol's time.

"What, already?" Woohyun pouts dramatically.

"Aren't you busy, too?" Sunggyu rolls his eyes.

"Yeah... I was having fun, though."

"Me too," Sunggyu admits quickly. "I'm going this way, where are you going?"

"Don't you want a ride?"

"No no no, I can't. Sunggyu waves his hands for emphasis. "I can go home myself."

Woohyun puts his own hands in his coat pockets. "Sunggyu-sshi?"

"Yeah?"

He looks more serious than he has this whole time. "What is it you want from me?"

"What?" He's not exactly sure how to answer that. "I didn't ask you for anything. Or did... Was I supposed to?"

"No, not- I just-" Now Woohyun looks as flustered as Sunggyu feels. "I've never done this before. Am I doing this wrong?"

"Doing what?"

"I don't know what I'm trying to ask," he admits. "Can you just... tell me why your parents contacted me?"

"Oh. I..." Sunggyu clasps his hands together and takes a deep breath. "...want to write you a song. For you to sing."

Woohyun's eyes get wide. "A song?"

He nods. "I don't have anything mainstream and I've never sold any songs to anyone but I want to show you I'm good, and I'm worth it."

"Me?" Woohyun grins. "Because I'm your favorite, right?"

"You're second place," Sunggyu responds haughtily, crossing his arms.

That surprises him again. "I'll win you over," he says confidently. "Who is it, though? Who's first in your heart?" He tugs on Sunggyu's sleeve like a kid.

Sunggyu brushes him off and starts walking away. "Nell!" he laughs, looking back. "See you later?"

"Yeah," Woohyun calls after him, waving.


hello everybody. haven't updated in a while. i love u. hope u enjoy =3= i like kanto so i'll be adding him from time to time.