Chapter Three

Made in the A.M.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Data beats emotions.” —Sean Rad (Adly and Tinder founder)

"Have I ever told you, that I love you?"

Jongin shook his head slightly then rolled his eyes before glancing down at his brother with an amused expression.

Taehyung was looking up at him with that ridiculous box smile and he wasn't sure why it still worked after all these years; why he couldn't seem to be mad at him no matter how much the situation calls for it.

"This is really getting old, Taehyung." He sighed. "Every time I have to come get you, it's either from the nurse's office because you're ‘sick'" Jongin made quote on quote gestures which Taehyung grinned at. "Or from the head office because you evidently got yourself in trouble again."

"Oh~ but I didn't get in trouble this time. I was 'sick'," he quoted with a Cheshire grin. "Remember?"

 

Jongin shook his head in amusement. He wasn't sure why but he couldn't get himself to be angry at Taehyung no matter how many times he got in trouble in school. His actions were harmless though, but they were no less trouble in the eyes of the university council.

"How do you even manage to pass all your classes if you're cutting them almost every week?" Jongin asked, half impressed. "It's crazy--"

"The answer is looking at you, brother." Taehyung said a matter of fact as he leant across the seat to look him in the eye. "This face," he pointed out. "is the secret."

" up to your professors?" Jongin smirked.

"Charming Korea since 1995." Taehyung announced proudly which made Jongin laugh. "You gotta admit I'm too cute to resist." He added, his eyes turning into crescents and lips forming a rectangular grin.

Jongin shook his head, "Just don't let appa find out."

At that Taehyung frowned. The gesture was so slight anyone could've missed it but Jongin knew him well enough to catch that brief switch. "It's not like he'll check my attendance records so long as I keep my grades up."

Jongin nodded, knowing well that for someone who cuts classes a lot, Taehyung was an intellectual (with an IQ of 130). Jongin was smart too but Taehyung was the genius of the family; the one playing around scientific theories and Mathematical equations since elementary. Jongin studied and worked hard to make sure he was top of his class.

It's not that they were forced to do it, but more like it was expected of a Kim; the family who practically ruled Korea's industries. They were expected to be "great", to be role models and superior to their peers...

To be the best.

Their father was a nice guy but he was firm in raising his children. Education is by far his top priority and Jongin and Taehyung knew that by heart and so they kept their grades immaculate and above average.

"How are Carmel and Jimin?" Jongin asked, wanting to distract himself from the upcoming speech he has to give in an hour. They were on their way to headquarters and Jongin had to deliver the welcoming remarks since his father couldn't make it. He had given many speeches before but the nerves never disappeared. He still gets the jitters every time he had to come up on stage and speak to their employees or any other crowd for that matter.

Heck, he gets jitters just by thinking about it.

"Jimin and I are actually partnering for a project this semester."

"What about?"

"It's top secret." Taehyung whispered which made Jongin snort.

"And Carmel?" He asked, knowing the trio usually does things like this together. They've been inseparable since middle school--Jimin as far back as primary school. Jongin used to hang out with them a lot until he found his own group in high school. He smiled as he remembered Jimin who always called him weird names for leaving their group.

"She wanted to do the project alone." Taehyung said thoughtfully. "Said something about 'not wanting to let her grades suffer because of two hooligans'."

Jongin laughed at that. "I think that's the wisest decision she has ever made."

Taehyung looked at him incredulously, "Ouch. I am throughly offended, hyung."

Jongin smiled at him almost mockingly while Taehyung looked at him expectantly.

"If you're waiting for an apology," Jongin finally said. "You're not getting any."

And at that, Jongin received a glare from the younger boy which only made him laugh before ruffling his little brother's head. The two ended up jostling with each other and the driver up front could only look at the two siblings in amusement through the rear view mirror.

Jongin may have to reprimand him for cutting classes so much, but in truth, he's glad he gets to spend more time with him.

~~~

 

The metal gates opened and Gwonhan headquarters stood in all its majesty up front, making Jongin sigh. He wasn't sure how his father did it: to run a company so huge and manage it so well. Gwonhan was at its golden age, as what everyone calls it. It was at a time when sales are up high, stocks are stable, and consumer feedbacks are at a positive level. With that in mind, Jongin realised just how great of a man his father is... As well as the huge responsibility he had to uphold.

The car slowed at the front entrance where a familiar face was already waiting for them. On the dot, as always. Jongin stepped out and gave him a smile, "Hi hyung."

"You're late." Kyungsoo said flatly, posing his signature "You-should-know-better-than-to-be-late" look.

"Hyung!!!" Taehyung cheered as he got out, earning surprised glances from the other employees passing by. The two men however didn't move a muscle, used to his crazy antics.

"And you're supposed to be in class." Kyungsoo reprimanded but Taehyung was unfazed by his brother's assistant's words, smiling so brightly.

"I missed you too hyung."

Kyungsoo glared towards Jongin and he could only shrug. The man sighed and rubbed his temples in frustration. "Just get changed, Tae. You're coming to the meeting."

“What?” he whined. "Can’t I just stay in hyung's office?"

"The last time we did that, you almost cost us a contract with one of our suppliers!"

"The guy was being rude." Taehyung pointed out. "How can someone be that rude?!"

"It's called business Taehyung." Kyungsoo said as he led the two inside. "You gotta do what you gotta do."

Taehyung rolled his eyes as he followed the two into the lobby. They received a few greetings and returned then with curt nods, putting on their diplomatic smiles. Even Jongin was impressed by how Taehyung could easily turn from a college hooligan (source credit to Carmel) to a well-mannered son of a huge company with how he was bowing and greeting everyone politely.

After leaving Taehyung on the 12th floor where he was escorted by one of his assistants to get changed, Jongin and Kyungsoo headed to his office to prepare. Jongin wore his blazer and grabbed his papers, which was basically a draft of his speech. He took the time to review it while they rode the elevator down and walked to the second building towards the conference hall.

The place was half filled the moment they got there and Kyungsoo immediately ushered him towards the front where he was bombarded by handshakes and greetings from his colleagues.

His future employees, rather. The mere thought made Jongin's head spin.

"Where's Taehyung?" Kyungsoo mumbled to himself as a few minutes passed, and Jongin chuckled at how much he sounded like a worried nanny. He had been his assistant since he started doing his deputy CEO duties which was a couple of years ago. But he had know Kyungsoo way back in college when he was still completing his internship at the company while Jongin was still studying and at the same time getting a hang of how the company goes around with his frequent visits to HQ and appearances in board meetings. Technically his version of an internship too.

Kyungsoo had become the big brother he never had, always there to help him out and support him with whatever. Of course there was their close family friend Junmyeon whom Jongin also considered like a big brother, but he was always too far out traveling and handling his own business to be here and watch over him.

"Taehyung is an adult hyung." Jongin assured him. "He's not going to get lost. This is practically our second home."

"It's not him getting lost I'm worried about. The fact that he knows his way around is what terrifies me." He said wide-eyed which made Jongin chuckle.

"Okay here," Jongin brought out his phone from his pockets and moved to call Taehyung. "I'll call him, okay?"

"Yes, please do that." Kyungsoo mumbled, while scanning the perimeter of the place.

Taehyung answered on the second ring with a clip, "Yo." which made Jongin roll his eyes inwardly.

"Are you done?"

"Yes--"

"Well, get in here before hyung gets a panic attack." He said which earned a slight glare from Kyungsoo.

"Okay. Okay hyung I'm coming." Taehyung said before hanging up. Jongin turned to Kyungsoo who was busily scrolling through his schedules and Jongin groaned inwardly seeing rows after rows of company meetings he has to attend to...

Today.

"After your speech, we'll have to excuse you right away so we can make it on time to the charity event in Gangnam." Kyungsoo said and it was followed by more events and conferences while Jongin could only nod in consent. He learned to just go with it without complaints, understanding that it's his responsibility to be in those meetings. As deputy CEO, it was his job after all.

A couple of minutes later, Taehyung walked towards them dressed in a fine suit and smiling diplomatically to everyone he passed by.

"Took you long enough." Kyungsoo grumbled as he reached them.

"Sorry, got caught up talking to someone." Taehyung said.

Jongin looked over his shoulder at him slightly as they moved towards their seats. "Who?"

"Mr. Kim."

Jongin and Taehyung turned at the same time which would've been comical if it weren't for the man smiling at them with false warmth.

"Mr. Choi." Jongin smiled back diplomatically, taking his outstretched hands. "Nice of you to join us."

"I see the two brothers have come." Choi ShiWon said, making eye contact with Taehyung who stared at him blankly, resisting the urge to gag. The man was one of their father's directors, holding a definite portion of the company's stocks. He has worked in Gwonhan for as long as CEO Kim has and rumor has it that he's been trying to steal it from the Kim’s' power for just as long.

He was a tall middle-aged guy with hair that has been brushed up neatly with a comb, shinning like a well-polished car (Taehyung once commented he looked like a living Joker if only he dyed his hair purple and smiled just a tad bit wider). He was a well-respected man in the company and had contributed a lot but that doesn't make him any less good.

"I thought it wouldn't be so bad to participate in the business affairs every once in a while." Taehyung answered and something flashed in ShiWon's eyes which made Jongin suspicious.

"Indeed." He nodded. "Well it's good to see you both. Very good to see you. Good luck, Mr. Kim." He said, addressing Jongin who stood a little straighter. "Say hello to you father for me."

"Will send the message." He answered curtly and turned away with a nod. Jongin didn't trust the man one bit, not with his fake smiles and chilling stares which he could feel piercing through his skull even long after he has turned for his seat.

They took their seats up front just as the MC spoke and began to welcome everyone.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen," the MC greeted before getting straight to business on the meeting's agenda. Jongin listened attentively as he explained the absence of his father who recently returned from a conference in China.

"However let us welcome the heir of Gwonhan Prime to give the welcoming remarks. Ladies and gentleman, Kim Jongin."

That's my cue, Jongin thought as he stood from his seat, bowing slightly at the crowd as he received the applause gratefully. Taehyung was clapping enthusiastically in his seat, looking almost like a father seeing his son graduate college. Kyungsoo had to hold his hands down to calm him.

Jongin ascended the stage and shook hands with the MC before taking his place at the podium. He stood straighter, letting his eyes scan the room in one swift motion, just as his father taught him, before nodding once and beginning his speech.

"Good morning. It's a privilege to speak in front of you all today. My father have had a fruitful meeting with our stakeholders in China and though he is not here right now, I am pleased to tell you all that--" a loud bang suddenly echoed through the hall making Jongin stop, eyes trailing towards the main door. He merely caught a glimpse of someone walking out briskly before slight murmurs filled the room. But before it could escalate, Jongin cleared his throat, getting their attention once again then returned to his speech.

"As I was saying, I am pleased to tell you all that the contract was successfully agreed upon and by late fall of 2018, a new headquarters will be stationed in Beijing."

Applause filled the room and Jongin felt a swell of pride at having to deliver the news himself. The contract had been under wraps since 2012 and it's only now that they finally made their stakeholders in China agree. It was definitely a grand opportunity for the expansion of the company and Jongin couldn't help but feel proud at his father's skill and vigour at having accomplished this. However, he was at the same time a little terrified for he would have to fill in those shoes very soon.

As he ended his speech and received the resounding applause from everyone, Jongin hoped he could live up to his father's footsteps.

As well as the company's expectations.

~~~

 

Alice couldn't understand the fear bubbling up her chest at the mere sight of him. Her hands had gone slack, leaving her camera idle against her stomach and all she could do was stare as his name rang over and over again in her head.

"Let us welcome the heir of Gwonhan Prime to give the welcoming remarks. Ladies and gentleman, Kim Jongin."

Kai, she thought, gulping as her eyes trailed over his form, looking sharp in a black suit with a tie to match. His hair was brushed up, showing his forehead which was so different from the guy she met at the airport a few months ago with slightly disheveled locks and a turtle neck sweater.

Kai, she realized as he stood there at the stage, emanating authority. There were a thousand thoughts running through her head that she felt her breathing turning shallow the longer she stood there staring at him.

"Miss, are you alright?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter