Laugh.

You're all I could ask for, silly.

Jonghyun POV:

I looked at him in disbelief. 

"Safe?" Taemin murmured, and I saw Minho put pressure on his wrist soothingly.

"You can only be safe... if you don't know." his fingers traced my jawline, his touch feather light, as if he could hurt me by pure touch.

"Why does Minho get to know? Because he's in your past too?"

"He doesn't know anything." I watched his eyes flick to Minho, who looked away, running a hand through his hair. A trembling hand.

"Lie." Taemin said what I wanted to say. 

"Lies. Hyung... Jonghyun hyung and I need to know. We may have only known you for at most a year, but we're already this close. You can't expect us to walk away, walk out of this house, knowing. Knowing that you are getting attacked the minute we leave you alone. Knowing that you are getting hurt. Getting hurt for us. We..."  

He'd stood up, nudging me out of the way to look right into Jinki hyung's eyes. HIs voice was shaky, on the verge of tears.

"We love you hyung. We ing need you." 

Jinki hyung's arms... harsh angry red lines that lashed across the skin, bruised, arms, grabbed Taemin and pulled him flush to his chest.  Taemin started to sob, fists hitting Jinki's shoulders.

"Why are you so selfless. We need you and all you're doing is throwing yourself to them. You can't get hurt own your own, none of us should get hurt. Hyung... hyung...Don't be so stupid...please..." 

"Idiot. I need you all to be safe for me to be happy. It'll end soon, I promise."

I stood there, numb as I watched him say words that might not hold any truth at all.

"Can we stay with you till then? Here?" the words spilled out in a rush, pleading. 

I blinked as everyone look at me, confused. I didn't even realize I had been the one to say the words. I thought it was Taemin's, it being so shaky. I lifted a hand to my throat, speaking slowly. 

"If its okay, I want to stay here with you. Taemin can stay anytime since his parents are overseas half the time.. and Minho..." I looked at him, recieving a firm nod. "It's the only way we can help you. Your mum..."

"Doesn't know." he frowned, letting go of Taemin as he realized that his scars and cuts were obvious from him wearing a short sleeve shirt. He pulled off the shirt, mumbling. "I need to get a... better fitting shirt before she comes in so-" 

Minho tugged him back silently, pushing him back onto one of the couple of bean bags in his room. He rummaged in his bag, pulling out a small first aid kit. 

"Try not to scream." Minho joked weakly, pouring out some antiseptic onto a cotton bud. 

"I don't nee- ah!" Jinki hyung yelped as Minho dabbed the medication on. 

A heavy silence weighed down on everyone's shoulders as Minho worked silently. It was only broken when I made the more or less smart decision to lock the doors when Minho insisted on doing every cut and healing scar after an hour passed just doing one arm. Taemin sidled up to Jinki hyung while on the other bean bag, tentatively laying his head on his lap before falling asleep. I scooted up between the small gap between both beanbags , watching him flinch uncomfortably as the medicine was applied.

"Wake up.. Jjongie. Wake up."

 

Onew's POV:

As Minho wrapped the last of the bandages, fixing on the metal clip, he sighed heavily, looking up at me. I grabbed his hand reassuringly, shaking my head when he opened his mouth. I nodded down at Taemin who was sleeping on my lap and then tilted my head towards Jonghyun who had fallen asleep between Taemin's and my bean bag, his fingers curled loosely in the straps of my pants. I gently untangled Jonghyun's fingers, while Minho easily picked up lifted Taemin's just enough for me to slip away and replace my lap with a pillow.

I pull on a white long sleeve shirt before tugging back the previous black shirt.

I leaned against the wall, tired. I couldn't let the them get hurt. I cursed my carelessness, but I'd collapsed into bed once I reached home.

A shadow fell over me, and I looked up to see Minho's eyes searching mine. I squeezed his hand.

"Yeah, it's really him." I whispered.

I felt the pressure get returned, and I raised a hand to ruffle his hair. His dark eyes reflected my image, and I realized then how bad I looked. But it was such a contradiction to how I felt.  I looked broken, like I'd just been run over by 3 trucks and a train. But I feel this tight grip that Minho has. The warmth of Taemin, his breath that was blowing gently on my bare skin. Jonghyun's loose but definite hold. They're my anchor, my shield. 

"But why you." 

I shrugged. 

"He'd probably choose you if he could recognize you. You look totally different from the little squirt you were back then. I'm counting on that for you to be safe, kay?" I laughed pathetically. 

"I'm staying over. End of. Even if you don't want Jjong hyung or Taemin, I'm staying."

He strode off, presumably to wake Taemin and so that I couldn't protest. I sighed, before squatting in front of Jonghyun. I looked at his clear skin, that adorable floppy fringe that blocked the light from his eyes, something he was so proud of. I could risk him being away from me, right?

"My own natural sunglasses, hyung!" 

I looked over at the other two, unsure.

I brushed a finger over his cheeks, calling softly. 

"Jjongie, wake up." 

He stirred, a hand reaching up to entwine his fingers with mine. 

"I fell asleep..."

I pushed him towards the door, Minho following close behind with Taemin. We made a slow shuffling procession downstairs to the main door.

"Go pack." I looked at the three of them, flipping the lock to open the main door, the sleepy ones wincing a little at the evening sun.

"Huh?" 

"The clothes you have here won't be enough for your long stay." I smiled, brushing a kiss on Jonghyun's lips. 

In a second they were gone, already rushing to come back.

I pressed my nails into my palm, having them by my side will keep them safer.

I stared at the newest batch of pebbles tossed at the steps of the door, the newest warning.

I just hope, that I was right.