Chapter 2 - Settling In

EXOllent Living Conditions

 

Chapter 2

 

As the heavy door to my new home swings open my jaw hits the floor. To say the new place was an improvement would be a major understatement and it definitely beat the two bedroom I lived in with my parents and two siblings before…all this. I still find it hard to believe that I ended up here of all places. Coming from nothing and now sharing dorms with EXO I must have done something good in a past life.

There are only 9 bedrooms so everyone is sharing with someone except for Mi-Sook, no one wants to live with her. Me and Gyeong took a room at the end of the hall and began unpacking

“I’m ing terrified about this situation honestly” Gyeong sighed “12 boys, really? Boys are disgusting. And I’m the oldest one in this house!”

“I know you’re practically an ajumma” I jested in response.

If looks could kill those would’ve been my last words. “But I share your concern. I’ve never been around so many guys at once.”

“You have nothing to worry about with us” alarmed at the addition of a third voice Gyeong and I turned to see Kai in the doorway with Kyungsoo shielded behind him.

“We’re always gentlemen” Kyungsoo bashfully chimed in.

“At least some of us are!” Kai teased. Obviously seeing my horrified expression and Gyeongs disapproving scowl he quickly added “I’m only joking! Me and Kyungsoo are in the room opposite, we came to see if you would like any help unpacking?”  

Immediately accepting their offer the boys helped us and in a matter of minutes our room was complete with its simple décor, twinkling lights and personal photographs framed on the wall. Kyungsoo help me with the last of my photographs, hanging them in place and asking about each one as he did. It was refreshing to meet someone who actually showed an interest in my life so naturally I asked about his he told me how he grew up in Goyang and that he had a brother who was three years older “ANDWAE! I also have a brother older than me by 3 years!”

Hours later and we were still exchanging stories. “And then he chased me all the way down to river and threw me in! Father was furious that he had got my new dress dirty but truthfully I hated it anyway!” Kyungsoo laughed at the tale I told him and his laugh had me in tears it was the most adorable and innocent sound I had ever heard meeting Kyungsoo’s gaze I sighed and allowed a soft “thank you.” To come out.

“What for?” he asked curiously

“I was so afraid of living with you all” I confessed “so worried that you would be vapid, shallow and self-obsessed celebrity playboys and that living with you would be horrid experience…but now I don’t think it will as bad. Thank you Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo let out yet another school girlish giggle before blushing and turning away. “We should eat” he added softly “I’ll make kimchi for everyone!”

 

And so he did. I helped him serve the dish to everyone. Kai insisted I took a seat next to him. “Are you and Kyungsoo in love now?” He prodded joking. Kyungsoo however didn’t find it funny apparently by his burning glare aimed directly at his bandmate.

“Are you jealous that Kyungsoo no longer has eyes for you?” I fired back smirking in the direction of Kai

“No, I am jealous he already has the attention of the prettiest girl here.” Kai whispers in my ear. A fire is ignited underneath my skin my face flushed and as red as the pepper powder in the kimchi we were eating. I look down from the confused glances surrounding me and eat my meal in silence, Kais comment really caught me off guard. Did he mean? Does he really believe I am the prettiest girl? His comments are sweet and I won’t deny I enjoy hearing them but I am also left confused regarding how truthful they are.

 

The rest of the night was blissfully uneventful but as I awoke unreasonably early and proceeded to make myself a snack I was alarmed to see Sehun in the kitchen “can’t sleep?” I asked

“Yeah, I find new beds difficult to get comfortable in, yourself?”

“My sleeping schedule is just really, really bad” I confessed. We laughed before starting the mandatory deep chat “Does it ever get easier...The pressure that is?”

“No.” Sehun responded candidly “being an idol is so much pressure that never seems to ease however, it’s more rewarding than pressuring by far.” Flashing a smile in my direction he offered me half of his sandwich “How did you get into the business anyway?”

“Same way as most people” I took the sandwich from his hand and sat myself beside him on the cold wooden floor. “I auditioned at an agency and here I am” I took a bite of the sandwich and tasted a meat, was it a salted pork?

“I love meat it’s my favourite food” he informs me “meat and sushi!”

“Just meat in general is your favourite yeah?” we both laughed for a second before remembering it was 3am and quieting ourselves as to not disrupt the others sleep “maybe we should get some rest now” I reluctantly suggest when I really would prefer to sit with Sehun a little longer.

“Yes, I suppose we should.” He agrees and with that he helps me to get up off the floor “I guess I’ll see you in the morning” he tells me walking towards his room.

With each footstep I feel the cold radiating from the dark oak flooring. Today has been such a foreign experience for me I thought. All my life the only men I’ve been around are my father and two brothers and they have been so protective of me I haven’t even held a guy’s hand. I couldn’t even tell my father about the audition for the agency, my mother made me keep it secret until I knew the results and even than she broke the news. And now I’m living with 12 of them. 12! I’ll either go insane or turn into a boy.

As I pushed the bedroom door open slowly so that Gyeong wouldn’t wake up I wondered what my Father would be thinking right now. His only daughter in a house with 12 men, he’d have a heart attack I’m certain. And the boys they’ve already made such a big impression especially Kai and Kyungsoo, I turn from my doorway to face the room that they are staying in. Kai said he thinks I’m the prettiest girl but was that him teasing me? And Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo is so sweet and caring but he seems so awkward around me so maybe he doesn’t particularly like me? I don’t know I should stop worrying about it but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t interest at all but it’s still early days yet and I’m not going to get my hopes up over “maybes” and “what ifs”. Finally climbing into bed I decide to just go with whatever happens and focus on the music.