The Scares and Happy Endings

Family

“When do you think would be a good time to tell Yeri she’s having a sibling?” Joohyun asked as Seulgi and her got in the car after a visit to the doctor.

 

“Probably when you’re beginning to show. I can imagine the confusion on her face when she asks ‘where’ and we say ‘there’. She’s gonna be like ‘mommy’s lying’,” Seulgi laughed as she strapped Joohyun in before placing a kiss on her cheek.

 

“Yea, I agree,” Joohyun laughed. “I can’t wait to see her face when she finds out she’s having a sibling though.”

 

“Neither can I,” Seulgi agreed, resting a hand below Joohyun’s midriff, feeling the warmth of her wife’s skin protecting their unborn child. Joohyun placed her hand on top of Seulgi’s and interlaced their fingers, knowing that her wife still could not believe that they were expecting a second child.

 

“You’re so amazing Hyun,” Seulgi stared down lovingly at their hands before looking up at Joohyun, her eyes glistening with tears. “I’m so sorry I have to stress you about the job in LA, I-“

 

“Seul, stop,” Joohyun cupped her wife’s face, noting the apologetic look she was wearing. “Don’t apologise for your dreams. What you want is what I want. Yes, it will be tough but as long as we’re together, nothing can be too hard for us to handle. I love you.”

 

“I love you too,” Seulgi reciprocated, pressing a kiss to her wife’s lips. “I must have saved a country in my past life to deserve someone as understanding, as kind and as loving as you.”

 

“You obviously didn’t. Otherwise we’d be kings and queens by now,” Joohyun snorted at her wife’s cheesiness.

 

“Just entertain me, Hyun!”

 

“You’re absolutely delusional.”

 

 

A few weeks later

 

“So, do you guys wanna find out the gender of the baby?” the doctor asked as she looked at the ultrasound scan. Seulgi looked over at Joohyun and Joohyun smiled at her wife, understanding the look in her wife’s eyes. She knew that Seulgi wanted to find out the gender of the baby but since it was her body, Seulgi would let her have the final say.

 

“Yea, I think we would like to find out,” Joohyun squeezed Seulgi’s hand and Seulgi kissed the back of her wife’s hand appreciatively.

 

“Alright, sure,” the doctor smiled. “It’s a boy.”

 

“A baby brother for Yeri to play with…I hope she’ll like that,” Seulgi whispered into Joohyun’s ear.

 

“I think she will,” Joohyun replied as the doctor wiped the rest of the gel off. “Let’s tell her the good news when we get home?”

 

“Definitely.”

 

+

 

Silence greeted the couple as they stepped back into their house.

 

“She’s sleeping?”

 

“Yea, I put her to bed for her afternoon nap before heading down,” Joohyun replied, letting out a sigh as she settled herself onto the couch. Since it was her second child, the morning sickness hadn’t been a pain in the , but the swelling around her ankles were beginning to recur and she was beginning to find it hard to walk for long periods of time.

 

“Here, let me help with that,” Seulgi got on one knee and began massaging Joohyun’s shins. A sigh of contentment made its way past Joohyun’s lips as Seulgi hit all the right spots. Seulgi finished up with a kiss on both of Joohyun’s knees, looking into her wife’s eyes for confirmation that she was comfortable.

 

“I’ll get Yeri?” Seulgi asked, holding Joohyun’s hand, running her fingers over her knuckles.

 

“Yea sure. Thanks for the massage Seul, it always makes me feel better,” Joohyun pulled her wife up by the collar for a quick kiss before letting her go to bring their daughter over.

 

“Yeri? Buddy, hey wakey-wakey,” Seulgi bent over the sleeping figure in the bed, her fingers deftly moving some of the baby hair out of the way. “We’ve got a surprise for you.”

 

“Momma?” Yeri half-opened her eyes and let out a yawn, hands automatically reaching up for a hug to which Seulgi immediately took her into her arms and cradled her against her shoulder. “Did momma buy ice-cream?”

 

“Sorry, buddy no,” Seulgi kissed the side of Yeri’s head before continuing, “It’s something better. Are you still sleepy buddy? We can wait till you’re more awake.”

 

“No need momma, Yeri awake,” Yeri nuzzled her nose into Seulgi’s neck for warmth before slowly straightening up to look at Seulgi face-to-face, rubbing the sleepiness out of her eyes. “What’s better than ice cream?”

 

“Let’s meet mommy in the living room first, okay?” Seulgi gently replied.

 

“Mommy! Momma says you have surprise! Where?” Yeri demanded as Seulgi brought her out of her room, laughing at how Yeri did a 360 the moment she saw Joohyun sitting on the couch. “Hey, hey. Patience buddy,” Seulgi chided as she brought Yeri down between her and Joohyun, settling herself on the couch as well.

 

“Okay, do you feel this?” Seulgi asked as she brought Yeri’s hand to Joohyun’s slight bulge, allowing the youngster to feel the skin overlying her baby brother for the first time. Joohyun simply smiled at her daughter unknowingly making her first contact with her unborn sibling.

 

“Mommy fat?” Yeri asked, turning to Seulgi, confusion written all over her face.

 

“Bwahahaha!” Seulgi and Joohyun both couldn’t help but laugh at Yeri’s comment. The couple shared a gaze before Seulgi held Yeri’s hand again and directed it towards Joohyun’s swell.

 

“Yeri, mommy’s carrying your younger brother.”

 

“Yeri having younger brother?” The toddler’s lower lip trembled in excitement, her eyes reflecting disbelief as she looked in Seulgi’s direction.

 

“Yea, Yeri, you’re gonna be a big sister soon.”

 

“Really? Mommy?” Yeri looked towards Joohyun for confirmation.

 

“It’s true Yeri. Your baby brother’s in my tummy now. Just like you were before you were born.”

 

“YAYYYYY!” Yeri shouted as she jumped on the couch. The couple laughed, seeing how excited their daughter was. This was the reaction they had hoped for.

 

“When will Yeri see him?” Yeri asked, clutching Seulgi’s blouse.

 

“In a couple of months, buddy,” Seulgi smoothed Yeri’s hair over. “Mommy’s gonna need to take care of herself and your brother so you and I need to help her out. Can I trust you to be my reliable little helper?”

 

“Yessir!” Yeri mock saluted Seulgi, causing a grin to spread across Seulgi’s face. Joohyun simply looked on at the happiness emanating from her wife and the maturity of her little girl. Her heart swelled with love as she watched the exchange.

 

“That means cleaning up your room.”

 

“Yessir!”

 

“No shouting, yelling and screaming cos you’re angry.”

 

“Yessir!”

 

“And helping mommy out with whatever mommy wants you to do.”

 

“Yessir!”

 

“Alright I think we’re good to go!” Seulgi mock saluted Yeri back as the child chortled in happiness. She hugged the swell of her mommy’s belly before saying words that warmed both Seulgi and Joohyun’s heart.

 

“Yeri gonna be the best big sister eva!”

 

 

The next couple of months passed by in a flash and the couple were both warmed by how quickly Yeri matured during that period. Every morning, she would make her bed without fail and put her toys away nicely once she was done playing with them. She even tried to help out with the dishes and laundry but Seulgi was quick to shoo her off, knowing that she wasn’t strong enough to handle a slippery dish or a heavy wet jacket.

 

In the evenings she would huddle next to Joohyun and press her ear against the growing bulge, calling out excitedly whenever she heard something. While Seulgi wouldn’t admit it, she was slightly jealous when Yeri was the first one between the two of them to feel her baby brother kick. That slight jealousy didn’t escape Joohyun’s eye though, and she purposely placed Seulgi’s hand on top of her bump before they slept that night, giving Seulgi the opportunity to feel any new movements from their child.

 

It took a couple of weeks of deciding and advice from friends and family but they eventually settled with the name ‘Joon’. It was simple to both of their liking and sounded similar to the first syllable of Joohyun’s name. Joohyun particularly liked the way the name rolled off Seulgi’s tongue and since then, it stuck.

 

“Joon, Joon, Joon, Yeri wanna meet you,” Yeri would sometimes chime when she got into one of her big sister moods. Seulgi and Joohyun would simply laugh at their daughter’s cuteness and ruffle the hair on her head, telling her she would be able to meet him soon.

 

Similar to the first pregnancy, Seulgi took time off to take care of Joohyun and by extension, Yeri. It was good family bonding time for the three of them and Seulgi and Joohyun soon found themselves falling back into the same routine they carried out for the previous nine-month stretch. Needless to say, the couple were more well-equipped this time round.

 

“Seul!” Joohyun’s shout bounced off the walls and Seulgi immediately hurried over to the kitchen only to see a puddle of water right at her wife’s feet.

 

It was happening.

 

“Ok, we gotta go,” Seulgi swiftly moved to her wife’s side and pulled Joohyun’s arm around her neck, placing her other hand around Joohyun’s waist, supporting her wife’s weight against hers.

 

“Yeri!”

 

“Momma?” Yeri popped her head out from her room.

 

“Get in the car buddy, Joon’s coming soon!”

 

“Joon’s coming? Where?”

 

“Yeri, please, fewer questions. Just get in the car,” Seulgi urged her daughter, not wanting to waste any more time. Gently, she sat Joohyun down in the passenger’s seat and strapped her in before making sure Yeri herself was buckled up. Hopping into the driver’s seat, she quickly started the engine and drove in the direction of the hospital.

 

+

 

“Yeri, you stay outside with Aunty Taeyeon okay? We’ll let you know when Joon’s here alright?” Seulgi bent down to press a kiss to the crown of Yeri’s head.

 

“But Momma-“

 

“Hey Yeri, why don’t we grab a small present for Joon? A welcome gift from his big sister?” Taeyeon quickly interjected. Seulgi exchanged gazes with Taeyeon, silently thanking her for her quick thinking.

 

“Okay!” Yeri quickly dragged Taeyeon away while Seulgi headed into the delivery room.

 

Despite witnessing Joohyun give birth once, Seulgi never liked seeing her wife put into this position.

 

Sweat matted her forehead and every couple of minutes, her eyes would scrunch up in pain while screams left her lips. Her breathing was laboured and her chest was heaving, lungs searching for air.

 

“Hyun,” Seulgi took a seat next to Joohyun and let her wife hold her hand tightly, knowing it was a way for Joohyun to cope with the pain. She moved the hair out of Joohyun’s face and wiped the sweat off her brow, trying to move as close as physically possible to Joohyun without messing up the wires and equipment. “I’m here.”

 

“Seul,” Joohyun let out another groan as another contraction hit her. “UMPHHHH!”

 

“Ok Mrs Kang, we need you to start pushing,” the doctor instructed.

 

“You’ve got this, Hyun,” Seulgi pressed a kiss to her wife’s forehead, feeling Joohyun clutch her hand tightly.

 

“!” Joohyun gasped.

 

“Yep that’s good, keep pushing!”

 

“You’re doing so well baby, keep going,” Seulgi whispered, looking into Joohyun’s eyes.

 

“Ok, we can see the head, keep it going!”

 

*Beep**Beep**Beep*

 

“! Everyone out!”

 

“Sorry, Mrs Kang, you need to leave your wife now.”

 

“What the-what the is happening?!” Seulgi demanded as the nurse pulled her hands away from Joohyun and led her out of the room immediately.

 

The last thing she saw was how pale her wife was.

 

+

 

“Tae, yea, I don’t know I think there was some complications…yea I signed some surgical form. Do you think you can just accompany Yeri for a little longer? Yea, sorry. Thanks,” Seulgi sighed as she put the phone down, worried sick about what was going on. She had been pacing up and down the aisle the past 20 minutes which felt absolutely like an eternity. She had been replaying the same conversation in her mind.

 

“Mrs Kang? We need you to sign some forms.”

 

“What are these for? What’s going on? Are my wife and child alright?”

 

“We need to carry out a C-section immediately for the best chance of survival for both your wife and the baby. There was a case of fetal distress so we don’t exactly have time to waste. We need your consent to carry out the medical procedure asap.”

 

Seulgi buried her head in her hands, sliding down the wall. Everything was so uncertain now and all she could do was pray that everything was fine.

 

“Mrs Kang?”

 

“Yea, that’s me!” Seulgi bolted up. “How’s my wife and child?”

 

“We have some good news and bad news,” the doctor began, his steady gaze stopping Seulgi from losing her mind. “Good news first. The surgery was a success. Both mother and child are fine.”

 

“Oh, thank god,” Seulgi finally let the floodgates open. That was all she wanted to hear. The life of Joohyun and Joon was everything that mattered to her. “Thank you so much.”

 

“The bad news is that I’m afraid she won’t be able to have children anymore.”

 

“That’s-that’s fine,” Seulgi stammered, tears falling to the floor. As long as Joohyun and Joon were safe, this piece of bad news was nothing. Absolutely nothing.

 

“Can I see her now?”

 

“Yea, go ahead.”

 

+

 

Instead of heading directly to the ward, Seulgi made a detour to the toilet. Staring at herself in the mirror, she tried to calm herself down before splashing some water on her face to erase the tear streaks on her cheeks. Taking a deep breath, she freshened herself up, not wanting her wife to see her in this dishevelled state. Joohyun had just had a brush with death. She had to be strong for her.

 

“Hyun,” Seulgi called out softly as she sat down next to the bed. Mixed emotions flooded her being. Right next to her was her child, sleeping peacefully, safe and sound, oblivious to all the scary and life-threatening chain of events leading up to his birth. But right in front of her was her wife, looking so pale and tired, hooked up to machines that beeped incessantly. Gently, she picked up her son from his cradle, making sure not to disturb his sleep. She pressed a kiss to his forehead, thanking the stars that he was alright.

 

“Seul,” Joohyun opened her eyes at the sound of her wife’s voice. “Is Joon-“

 

“He’s here Hyun,” Seulgi laid the small bundle of joy into Joohyun’s arms. “He looks so much like you.”

 

Seulgi brushed the strands of hair from Joohyun’s face as the latter gazed at their child lovingly, her hand coming up to his cheek. It took nearly everything in Seulgi not to burst into tears finally seeing how both her child and wife were alright. The fear that took root in her heart disappeared and was replaced by so much relief.  

 

“He’s so beautiful.”

 

“Yea, he is,” Seulgi smiled back, carefully moving Joon back to his cradle. “You’ve been through a lot today, Hyun. You need to rest.”

 

“You must have been scared,” Joohyun started, her hand coming up to cup Seulgi’s cheek. Despite how hard Seulgi was trying to hold herself together, those simple words from Joohyun just brought all her walls down and she felt the tears trickle down her cheek.

 

“I was,” Seulgi admitted, hand coming up to hold Joohyun’s hand tight against her cheek. “I-I couldn’t fathom the thought of losing either of you yet all I could do was wait. I felt so absolutely, ridiculously helpless, sitting like a waiting duck when the two of you were inside fighting for your lives. But my fear was nothing compared to everything you just went through.”

 

“But we both made it,” Joohyun smiled tiredly at her wife. If there was anything that her wife hated more in this world, it was sitting on the sidelines helplessly. “I don’t remember much actually, the doctors sedated me so by the time I woke up, I was here. You got the brunt of the emotional trauma.”

 

“That doesn’t matter. I don’t care. I’m just so damn glad both of you are safe,” Seulgi pressed a kiss against her wife’s palm, noting how Joohyun hesitated before speaking the next words.

 

“I guess this is the end huh? No more kids?” Joohyun sighed. She knew that this was going to come up sooner or later so the two of them might as well address it now.

 

“Are you fine?” Seulgi replied.

 

“I’ve…I’ve come to terms with it?” Joohyun looked towards the ceiling, her fingers subconsciously running along sutures on her lower abdomen. “To be honest, it . I know you wanted three-“

 

“It doesn’t matter what I want,” Seulgi cut her off. “All I want to know is if you’re okay. You were just in the theatre moments ago, fighting for your life. The last thing that should matter is what I want. I’m so content with just you, Yeri and Joon. We can always just get a dog as our third kid.”

 

“Hahaha,” Joohyun laughed. “That’s even better. We don’t have to bother sending it to school to get an education.”

 

“Yea, we don’t,” Seulgi laughed together with her wife, the atmosphere lightening up as their chuckles filled the air. “But seriously Hyun, are you alright?”

 

“Seul,” Joohyun looked straight into her wife’s eyes. “They say two is company and three’s a crowd. Right now, four feels like family and that’s all that matters.”

 

+

 

While Joohyun was resting, Yeri and Taeyeon came up to finally meet the fourth member of their family. Seulgi had to shush Yeri multiple times to prevent her from disturbing Joohyun’s rest but it was so heart-warming to watch how Joon gurgled as he met his older sister for the first time. Yeri had bought a pair of socks for Joon, stating that ‘his feet may get cold’, which brought out some laughter from the adults.

 

“That’s a fantastic gift, Yeri. You’re gonna make a great older sister,” Seulgi encouraged her as she laid the socks next to him in his cradle. “Give Joon a kiss on his cheek will ya?”

 

+

 

“Hyun?” Seulgi called out, tapping her wife on the shoulder, causing Joohyun to stir slightly. Visiting hours were over and the hospital was strict about allowing Seulgi and Yeri to stay.

 

“Yea?” Joohyun stifled a yawn.

 

“We needa leave. Visiting hours are over,” Seulgi glanced up at the clock, hoping for an extra minute or even second with her wife and baby. “Yeri and I will be here first thing tomorrow morning.”

 

“Alright,” Joohyun smiled, playing with her wife’s fingers. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“See you,” Seulgi bent down for a kiss on her wife’s lips before reaching for Yeri’s hand. “Hey buddy, we needa leave. Say bye to mommy and Joon.”

 

“Mommy and Joon not going home?”

 

“No buddy, mommy and Joon needa stay here for a while longer cos they need special care. We’ll see them both tomorrow okay?”

 

“Okay,” Yeri nodded before pressing a kiss to Joohyun’s cheek. “Bye mommy. Yeri love you.”

 

“I love you too,” Joohyun replied, her daughter’s hair. Yeri made her way over to Joon’s cradle and repeated the same tender action to the sleeping baby.

 

“We’ll be here first thing tomorrow morning,” Seulgi repeated, noting the look on the nurse’s face as the clock chimed. “Rest well. I love you.”

 

“I love you too,” Joohyun repeated, pulling Seulgi in for another quick kiss before watching as Seulgi made her way over to the cradle by the side of her bed.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow, little man,” Seulgi brushed her finger against Joon’s rosy cheek. “Take care of mommy for me.”

 

“Pshhh,” Joohyun rolled her eyes at Seulgi’s words. “I think you two better leave before the nurse gets out her scalpel.”

 

 

Joohyun and Joon were able to come home the next day and the family had about 2 months before Seulgi was needed in LA. Yeri understood her new position in the family and continued to help out with the chores, wanting to set a good example for her younger brother, which Seulgi and Joohyun were proud and grateful for.

 

Before they knew it, the family were on the plane to LA, and, as Seulgi promised, first class.

 

“How’s he?” Seulgi asked as she pulled away the curtain giving Joohyun the needed privacy as she feeded Joon. She stepped into the dark space and pulled the curtains shut, allowing her some quiet time with her wife and son.

 

“Other than the screaming and crying during take-off, he’s good now,” Joohyun replied, a grin spreading across her face as Joon stopped ling when he noticed Seulgi was near. He let out a squeal of delight and stretched out his hands, and Seulgi immediately took him out of Joohyun’s hands to cradle him in the nook of her elbow.

 

“Hey little man, hope you haven’t been giving mommy any problems,” Seulgi whispered as Joon’s tiny hand held onto her pinky, beaming at her with a toothless smile.

 

“How’s Yeri?” Joohyun asked as she buttoned up her blouse. “Can’t imagine she has much energy left since she spent like the first three hours looking out of every window.”

 

“Yea, she’s sleeping like a log,” Seulgi affirmed. “And I think Joon’s gonna follow suit.”

 

Joohyun chuckled as she watched her son struggling to keep his eyes open, Seulgi tickling his cheek every time his eyes closed. Eventually he popped a finger into his mouth and nuzzled into Seulgi’s embrace, falling asleep quickly and quietly.

 

“I’ll put him to bed. You stay put,” Seulgi stated as she walked out.

 

“I can just follow you-“

 

“Hey hey hey,” Seulgi turned around and looked at her wife. Joohyun noted the dangerous glint in her wife’s eyes and knew what Seulgi was thinking. “We’re in first class, our kids are both asleep and there’s no one in the vicinity. Let’s take the chance to become members of the prestigious mile high club, shall we?”

 

With that she gave Joohyun a wink before heading out. Joohyun simply shook her head and sighed, smiling at how despite two children and years of marriage, her wife was still the same.

 

Needless to say, the sounds of the engine and whirr of the turbines drowned out the sounds of lovemaking and coming out from a certain cubicle in the first class section.

 

 

Holy a second update? Is the world ending?

 

What can I say? I’m a man/woman/whateverman of the people. You guys comment/subscribe/upvote, I write as long as I can get inspiration for the story. There were a lot of really nice, sweet comments from you guys on the previous chapter so I felt inclined to continue writing and giving you guys updates.

 

But yes, here’s the second update. I hope it made your day since everyone’s confined to their rooms at this point in time. I don’t think it’s as fluffy as the earlier one? But I wanted to make it as realistic as possible. I'm obviously not a doctor so please don't on my poor knowledge of O&G lol. Hope the love and fluffiness of it all still got through to you all.

 

What I can guarantee you guys now is that there is another chapter in the works so you can look forward to that. *wriggles eyebrows* Please give me time to write it though cos I just decided to start another fic cos I’ve been watching too much Netflix lately lol.

 

Alright everyone it’s way past my bedtime. Please stay safe and healthy and I’ll see you guys on the next chapter!