First Love

A Break From Reality - One shot collection

Pairing: Junhong x You

Genre: Angst

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 19 2015. 4:30pm

Strolling down the street, on this bright sunny day, you held no care or worry within your mind. The wind dancing through the strands of your hair assisted in cooling down your body temperature and made the warm day more bearable. You held no destination in mind, but rather allowed fate to hold your hand and guide you along.

The people around you were rushing, clearly not willing or having the time to slow down their movements and enjoy life. With everyone bustling along, it became obvious they were attempting to get to a particular destination in record time. You wondered if anyone slowed down a bit, to at least for once put their busy lives at the back of their mind and enjoy what life had to offer.

You continued your journey, simply enjoying the little and natural joys of life. It was the twinkling in eyes and heads thrown back in jolly merriment that indicated two people in love. It was the contagious shrieking laughter and bright smiles of children that indicated without a doubt they were enjoying their play outside. It was the leaves twirling in the wind accompanied by the music provided by various wind chimes that declared beauty and calmness can be found within the hustle and bustle of life.

You enjoyed the time alone, taking in the various sights and sounds that positively assaulted your senses. A while later, you found yourself passing a small park surrounded by trees and holding a small miniature decorative fountain in the middle. That wasn’t what caught your attention though; it was the boy near the fountain dancing to the blaring music coming out of his small speaker system. His moves were fluid yet sharp, soft yet dynamic and strong. He was clearly absorbed and passionate in his moves, for his eyes had not made contact with anyone, but were slightly drooping to the point of being almost closed.

His dancing was mesmerising, hypnotizing you to move your legs closer to his area and stare in awe of his talent. Being a dancer yourself, you understood and appreciated the dedication required to move as technically as he was; moving with such fluidity and grace it rivaled the swift movements of a paintbrush on canvas. You stood in wonderment for an hour and a half simply engraining his movement and attractive features into your mind. Your reverie was ceased as soon as the music was shut off, the pumping sound no longer filling the air with heavy beats.

You remained rooted a while longer, simply admiring how his body moved smoothly even when packing his belongings to go home for the night. As he finished gathering his possessions and straightened his back, your eyes connected for a moment – an invisible spark connecting your eyes and lives in that single moment. He smiled as he passed by and chuckled cutely as you ducked your head and shyly smiled to the ground.

Shortly after you left the park, though were still dumbly staring at the ground and feeling oddly giddy. Being a shy girl, you were never one to talk to many people, especially those of the opposite gender, so the previous interaction certainly warmed your cheeks.

It was later that night, while you were tangled in the warm sheets of your bed, did you vow that you would try and see the dancer again. You were sincerely hoping that today wasn’t a fleeting moment, one only able to replayed through memory. That night you fell asleep with a smile on your face, the dancer’s movement gliding through your dreams, and the moon providing a soft blanket glow that covered your sleeping figure.

 

July 10, 2015. 4:30pm

Roughly three weeks had passed since that fateful day when you first laid eyes upon the dancer. Visiting the same location for a few days in a row, you were quick to realize that he dedicated the same amount of time every day to the same area, dancing for all those willing to watch. You swore to yourself then that you would also be at the same spot at the same time every day, not allowing yourself the possibility of forgetting his beauty.

It was a few days later that you learned of his name through word of mouth. Rather than calling him “the dancer,” your mind quickly accepted Junhong, and gratefully put the name to his rounded face.

Now today, you once again took your regular seat under the shade of the closest tree to his stage. Being at a close proximity, you were able to notice the flex and release of his muscles, proving just how much effort he was setting into his dance.  Accentuating his muscles further was the sweat dripping down his skin providing him with an ethereal glow, and blessedly enhancing his movements that much more.

Later in the night, as his stage was coming to an unfortunate end, you took that as your cue to also get ready to leave. Before you could stand yourself up however, two feet entered your low line of sight. You followed the shoes, and up the body to the familiar face that you have watched for the past three weeks. A smile of your own greeted his but your eyes once again found interest in ground below.

“You’re here again.” His voice was as smooth as his dancing; a low tone that flowed easily out of his soft lips.

“Mhm. You noticed?” Your voice was timid, but your eyes held a little more confidence as they once again raised and looked to his.

“Of course I’ve noticed. You’re in the same spot every day. Not too many people watch my whole set or come back day after day. So yah, it’s easy to notice.”

“Oh.” You weren’t sure what to say; not ever imagining the moment would come when you were finally able to exchange words. It was the next sentence though that shook up your daily routine and broke the status quo.

“So obviously I’m done for the day. Did you want to grab some food with me?”

“I’d love to.” You smiled gratefully at Junhong, neither of you realizing the chain of events that would be caused by those three simple words of acceptance.

Together you went to a small café, nothing fancy that would have been out of both your characters, and talked for hours getting to know more about the other.

During your exchange, Junhong revealed the reason behind his dedication to dancing in the park, “My older brother was a dancer; we bonded over music and dance. He enjoyed it so much that he wanted to share it with anyone who was willing to watch. That park was his spot, always dancing at the same time every day so people would know he would be there. He never asked for money, but if he did get any he would donate it somewhere.”

“Wow, that’s very selfless and noble of him. Can I ask though what happened to him? I mean why are you in his spot now?” You held a strong feeling that something significant had happened, however your curiosity was burning deep.

He paused for a moment before speaking again, “He died, well got killed actually. It was some freak accident with a drunk driver that killed him on the spot. The moment I lost him, I swore to myself that I wouldn’t let his legacy die. That’s why I now dance where and when I do.”

“Well I can say with utmost certainty that you look like you were born to dance. Your passion really shines through.”

“I have my brother to thank for that.”

The rest of the night was sombre, the mood no longer bright and jovial, but it was nonetheless magical. You parted ways a few hours later, but found comfort in the thought of seeing each other the next day.

 

September 25, 2015. 7:00pm

Every day since that moment in July, Junhong and you have been faithfully spending precious time with each other – to the point you were now inseparable. Tonight followed a different course of action however. Rather than going to dinner or someplace fun to relax for the rest of the night after his performance, Junhong forced you to go home and get ready for a special evening he had planned. He failed to mention details, only sparing that you should dress nicely and he’ll be by to pick you up around 8:00. Donning a simple black dress and strappy heels, you now waited anxiously for his arrival; anticipating for what the night held.

Promptly at the turn of 7:59, a soft knock came from the front door, and you hastily opened the barrier not wanting to wait for even a second longer for the events of the night to begin.

“Wow you look amazing!” We caught each other’s eyes before bursting into laughter realizing quickly we each said the same thing at the same time.

“Are you ready to go?” Giggles still hung in the air, but you managed to nod your head and allowed Junhong to hold your hand and guide you along.

Merely moments later, you stood in front of the usual park, now beautifully decorated with lanterns and petals, accompanied by soft music to set the mood. In the center, with the fountain as the backdrop, was a small table with deliciously made food waiting to be consumed.

“Junhong this is amazing! Did you do all this after I left?” You were walking slowly around, trying to take in all the magnificent sights that were displayed.

“Yah I did. Uh, it’s a bit of a special occasion.” He mumbled the last part but you managed to hear it. Thinking he meant for it to be said to himself, you kept your mouth shut and continued toward the perfectly set table.

Throughout dinner you made pleasant small talk, but you could tell that Junhong was nervous about something; he was constantly fidgeting and could barely hold even three seconds of eye contact. Finally, with the dessert placed on the table, you asked what was bothering him.

“Is everything ok? You’ve barely been able to keep still. I know you’re a dancer, but this is a bit much.”

He chuckled before softly speaking, “I’m just really nervous, but I guess you all ready figured that out.”

Big breath in, “Can I ask you something?”

“You know you can. What’s on your mind?” You placed down your fork, full attention being devoted to the man in front of you.

“Well I’m not exactly sure where to start. Um, you see, ever since we’ve met in this park we’ve become inseparable and I feel really comfortable around you. I hope you feel the same if not this will end up being really awkward. OK, here goes. I really like you and I was hoping that you’d consider being my girlfriend?” The lighting may have been dull, but it did nothing to hide the blush seeping across his features. He was waiting for your response, but at this point the perfect opportunity would be lost if you didn’t at least a little bit.

“There’s really nothing to consider.”

One second.

His eyes widen in shock.

Two seconds.

His whole demeanour slumps as though a great weight suddenly befell him.

Three seconds.

You struggled to hold back laughter and decided to take pity on the lost soul.

“There’s nothing to consider because I don’t even need one second to think about my answer. It wouldn’t be anything but yes.”

This time when his eyes widened in shock, it was followed quickly by a giant grin and relieved laughter. The weight crushing his soul dissipated and he looked lighter than a spirit.

“Yah! Don’t do that to me! I really thought you were going to reject me!”

It was your turn to laugh, not out of relief like Junhong, but of sheer amusement at the situation that unfolded.

“We have stayed together and hung out every day for the past few months. If I haven’t gotten rid of you by now, then I don’t plan of getting rid of you ever.”

The rest of the night was spent in the other’s embrace; secured by the hold of arms and the comfort of the sheet of twinkling stars stretching across the sky.

 

February 16, 2016. 10:00am

It was a bitter cold morning in late February, but two thick pyjama clad bodies were huddled together and shielded protectively under many layers of blankets. With clouds shielding the sky and everything underneath them, the sun had no opportunity to disturb the sleeping couple; however, when one shifted and stretched, the other started to awaken as well.

“Morning beautiful.” Junhong stayed the night at your cozy apartment, but whether by text or words, he always greeted you the same way every morning. The special thing about receiving the greeting in person though, was the forehead kiss that accompanied it.

“Morning handsome.”

You stayed in bed a little longer; neither wanting to leave the warm burrows you had created. A few moments later though Junhong stretched again and informed you he had a few errands to run after lunch before heading to the park. With that declaration deemed as the official start of your day, you both got ready, relaxed on the couch, and had lunch before Junhong prepared to leave.

“When you come out today make sure you bundle up, it’s supposed to be really cold out. And be careful when you walk, it’ll be really icy out there too. And – “ He was going to ramble on, being the most protective and caring boyfriend ever, but you ceased his rant in the most girlfriend acceptable way possible: a kiss.

“Thank you for your concern, but I am a big girl you know. Now you bundle up too, be careful and leave before you’re late to the park. I’ll see you later.”

A kiss on the forehead was followed by a kiss on the lips, finished off with Junhong gazing into your eyes with a flood of love and admiration; it was a look you would never be able to live without.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

~~~~

Later in the afternoon, when it was time to leave for the park, you began to bundle up for the vicious weather. As you did so, you couldn’t help but chuckle, remembering the words your boyfriend spoke to you that morning.

Leaving your apartment and entering the streets, the air felt oddly heavier, and everything seemed to have been moving in forced slow motion. You thought nothing of it; your mind was simply playing tricks on you. A few steps forward though and it felt as though the air was caught in your throat, restricting your necessary breathing. A few more steps forward and you slipped on a piece of ice, almost making contact with the ground if it wasn’t for a kind stranger saving you and providing a curt warning to be more careful of the ice. At this point now your body felt numb, but you couldn’t confidently attribute the statuesque feeling to the below freezing temperature. However, you kept pushing yourself onward toward the park, hoping to catch a few minutes with Junhong in order to seek comfort and reassurance from the unusual occurrences.

As you were about to turn the corner leading to the park, the unnatural stillness of the air suddenly became boisterous; people were shouting, feet were shuffling, and the most chilling sound: sirens.

You immediately started running toward the epicenter of the confusion, not minding the ice and desperately trying to direct your thoughts from the worst case scenarios that seemed to only get progressively worse after each replay. Scanning the area with your frantic eyes yielded no sight of Junhong, and your lungs once again felt as though they were malfunctioning. You tried reasoning with yourself that he was late, caught up from the errands he needed to accomplish, but something caught your attention that now made your heart feel as though it had broken down.

Slowly approaching an officer at the scene, your eyes never strayed from the six foot length lump hidden under a plain white cloth.

“W-who is that?” Your voice was shaky and unclear, thick with unshed emotions, but the officer nonetheless understood your question.

“I’m not able to provide a name, but he was a young man. Poor kid looked like he was going to get ready to perform something too.”

At this point, your body felt ready to shut down; everything determined to cease its proper function. You did not know the identity of the person under the sheet, but you were certain that under the veil was Junhong, the man you could easily deem your first love.  

Mere hours earlier, you were warning the other to be careful; parting ways with an affectionate I Love You. Now here he was, your first love, lying lifelessly under a cover, his body no longer able to produce any form of movement.

“How….how did this….happen?”

“Freak accident if you ask me. Driver slide clean across a patch of ice and struck the kid here. Seriously, don’t people know it’s dangerous to drive in these conditions?”

Freak accident. Remembering those words from when Junhong spoke of his brother’s death, it was as though fate was playing a cruel and vile trick. Two dancers – two brothers sharing a passion – dying in similar ways; it felt like a long practical joke that the universe was waiting for the perfect time to complete.

 

June 19, 2016. 4:30 pm

Since that fateful day in February, you decided to put your own dancing skills to good use. It took a few weeks for you to mourn, but once you felt your heart grow stronger, you resumed the commitment that Junhong and his brother had started. At the same time and same place every day you dance for anyone willing to watch.