Death

A Break From Reality - One shot collection

Pairing: Sunggyu x you

Genre: Fluff

A/N: Just wanted to say, in no way do I mean this as an insult to those who own fish. I merely got the inspiration for this story from my sister who acted in a similar way (over course I exaggerated a bit). All pets are family!!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

It was ten in the morning when your radio alarm clock and the launch of the Billboard Top 100 songs indicated that your day was to begin. Without opening your eyes, you rolled onto your back and for a precious moment let the sun’s rays caress your body. The warmth felt reassuring, as if the sun’s embrace was guaranteeing a pleasant day ahead. Finally peeling back your eye lids, you stretched your limbs to rid of the tiredness that lingered within your bones, and felt your soul become energized.

Without turning off the radio, but rather increasing its volume, the music encompassed the bedroom and accompanied you as you got ready for the day ahead. In the silence of the apartment the voices emanating from the single speaker became your ghost of a friend as you entered the shower and after got dressed. It wasn’t until you were ready to leave the sanctuary of the room did you finally terminate the connection and allow the silence to once again drape across the expanse of the chamber.

As you took the only path that lead into the living room, you took notice of the amount of natural sunlight that flooded into the small enclosure. Questioning how the drapes had opened when they were properly closed the night before, the image of Sunggyu immediately materialized in your mind. You paused, trying to fathom how your boyfriend would have remembered to open the curtains, especially when he leaves early morning before any living being would wish to get up; and let’s be honest, he is extremely tired and unobservant in that state. Unfortunately, that was his responsibility, being the leader of the popular group Infinite, he was required to be up and ready at an unreasonable hour.

As you continued the usual journey from the living room to the kitchen, a bright orange sticky note next to your pet goldfish automatically caught your attention.

 

Good Morning Love,

I saw on the news that it is supposed to be the sunniest and warmest

day of the week. I know how much you love feeling the warmth

of the sun, so I made sure to open the curtains before I left today.

I’ll see you tonight for dinner. Have a great day!

 

Love You!

Sunggyu

 

P.S. I fed Neptune for you too!

 

“You probably got spoiled huh?” After reading the lovely note, you turned to Neptune knowing that whenever Sunggyu fed him, he always got an extra piece or two of fish food.

You laughed at Neptune; you could have sworn he swam away with his head high and an extra swish of his fin. It was as if he was saying, “Yes I did, got a problem with that?”

You did nothing but shake your head, knowing too well that Sunggyu enjoyed spoiling those he cared about, and like the curtains, he ensured he did little things to demonstrate his love, especially when he complains multiple times about never being with you enough.

With a smile gracing your features, you grabbed a bowl of cereal and stood eating while allowing your mind to drift to all the past memories of those “little things” Sunggyu did. Like the day he scattered sticky notes around the apartment with cheesy pickup lines or displaying mushy declarations of love. Another time was when he woke up even earlier in the morning just to buy your favourite flowers for when you woke up. Or even the time when you had to unexpectedly go to work and Sunggyu chose that particular day to make your favourite breakfast and lunch.

By the time the last spoonful left your mouth, the goofiest smile stretched across your face and you felt your heart beat flutter. You thought back to the note, the reason for the early morning butterflies, and realized just now a very important detail.

“Neptune, I’m going out shopping. I’ll be back soon!”

Instantly putting on shoes and grabbing the necessary wallet and keys, you raced out of the cozy 12th floor apartment and made your way to the grocery store down the street. If Sunggyu was going to be home for dinner, then you wanted to make him a warm soul satisfying home cooked meal.

Roughly an hour later, with two hands full of bags, you carefully made your way back to the apartment complex. You just made it past the threshold of your apartment before you plopped all the bags onto the floor and felt the rush of blood surge into your fingertips. Dragging the bags full of weight like food into the kitchen, something felt off. Despite the sun invading the entire apartment and causing everything to glow, a heavy mass seemed to rival all that the light touched. It was an odd feeling; a tingle of apprehension entered your mind. Trying to find a possible cause for concern, you hesitantly stalked farther into the apartment, as if waiting for something to jump out of thin air.

It wasn’t until you almost reached the living room did you realize what the ominous feeling was, the feeling you were now able to name: Death. It was Death that lingered in the air and challenged the warmth of the sun. You could barely tear your eyes away from the scene: your goldfish was lying lifelessly on its side, his tiny orbs focused on nothing.

Two seconds later and you were a crying mess, not knowing how to handle the current and unfortunate situation. Thinking of a possible solution, you located your phone and hesitated only a second before dialling Sunggyu, hoping he would answer the call.

“Hey sweetie, what’s up?” It was after three rings that you heard his soothing voice, but unfortunately you weren’t able to match his calm demeanour.

“I-I, oh my g-gosh. H-he no! D-dead.”

“Calm down. What happened? Who’s dead? It’s not a television show or movie again is it?” You could hear the joking nature of his response, seeing as it wouldn’t have been the first time you cried over the death of a fictional character, but this time was drastically different.

“I-I’m serious! N-NEPTUNE IS DEAD!”

“W-what?”

You weren’t sure if it was the shock from the news or the shock from being yelled at near his ear, but Sunggyu managed to finally comprehend the seriousness of the unexpected turn of events.

“Ok, just try to breathe and calm down. Did you want me to come over?”

“P-Please.”

After reassuring you that he would be over as soon as he could, you hung up the phone and quickly walked back into your bedroom, not being able to remain in a location that Death had recently visited. You attempted to keep your mind occupied and elsewhere other than the horrifying scene. It proved to have been successful since twenty minutes later you heard the front door unlocking and Sunggyu softly calling your name. You immediately exited the bedroom but then swiftly entered his waiting arms, allowing him to tuck your head under his chin and hold you in a warm, secure embrace.

“Shh, it’s ok now. I’m here. Don’t worry.” Sunggyu held you in his arms until you calmed down; until words were finally able to replace the tears and constant sniffles.

“We need to give him a proper burial.” You mumbled your words into his broad chest but he managed to hear you as he pulled away and looked at you with pure confusion.

“A proper burial? Don’t fish just get flushed down the toilet?” Ignorance laced his words and you fully detached yourself from his hold.

“NO! You don’t just flush a fish down a toilet! They are family and deserve to be treated with respect! Now help me!”

With that you grabbed a tissue and made Sunggyu wrap the now shrivelling fish into a cocoon. You both made your way into the bathroom; yes the tiny member of the family was going to be flushed, but you were adamant on ensuring it would be done with care. Standing over the glistening throne, a few more sniffles echoed the tiny enclosure while Sunggyu just continued to stare blankly at the calm water, his head cocked slightly to the side.

“Say a few words.” You nudged his side lightly, encouraging him to begin.

“But sweetie, it’s just a fish.” He tried to be as calm as possible, not wanting to upset you further, but you were having none of it.

“It is not! Neptune was family. How would you like it if no one spoke at your funeral? Huh?”

Sunggyu still looked uncertain; the situation being too ridiculous for him to properly follow. Nonetheless, he began his impromptu speech about a fish he only just met.

“Um, Neptune was a lovely fish. Always shining brightly and uh, golden. He was always there for us – on the counter – just swimming around because that’s all he could do. He never got to see the world so hopefully the kitchen and living room was enough for him. He will be missed.” He ended with a cough, dazed at the fact he said a speech for a dead fish. Silently he thanked the heavens that s were not there to witness the position he was put in.

You spoke next, breaking Sunggyu out of his reverie, “You were a great friend Neptune. I love and will miss you.”

With your eyes, you wordlessly indicated for Sunggyu to do the deed and two seconds later, with the flush of the toilet embracing the small fish, Neptune was gone forever from your lives.

Standing in momentary silence, Sunggyu finally spoke, “So, now what?”

You just shrugged your shoulders, already feeling the substantial effects of this significant loss.

“How about we go get another fish then?” Hearing Sunggyu’s suggestion, you mutely turned to face him, noting the small award smile that adorned his features.

You appreciated his attempt at making you feel better but, “HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?! I need to grieve over my loss! Plus, Neptune isn’t that easily replaced!!”

“How about some ice cream then?”

“That could work.” You immediately calmed down at the promise of a cold treat, but your somber attitude remained.

As Sunggyu draped his arm over your shoulders and guided you out of your shared apartment, he couldn’t help but shake his head and chuckle at your adorable actions. He certainly had one heck of a girlfriend.