Strange Feeling

──the space between us

Note : Let's pretend that only Joshua sang the song. 


           FEW WEEKS after my last visit to Yeonggu's house, I rarely kept in touch with him. I was busy catching up with the studies, while, Yeonggu had to prepare for the upcoming school's art festival. I planned not to disturb him until he was finished, but he bit off more than he could chew. As the result, his condition became worse day by day. I don't know why he always pushing himself though he often gets sick. I was worried so I offered myself to help him. Yeonggu seemed delighted and grateful. We agreed to buy some decorations for the festival this Sunday. That's why I'm in front of his house now.

           (bell sound)

           "Yeonggu, have you finished yet?" I shouted a bit. No one answered.

           "Fine, I'll wait for another five minutes,"

           (Five minutes later)

           "Yeonggu! Done yet?" I pressed the bell again.

           "Yeonggu! Yeonggu! Are you still aliv-"

           "Brother is sick." Instead of Yeonggu, Wonwoo appeared in his pastel blue pajamas while rubbing his eyes. This adorable sighting tickled my nerves right away.

           "Wha- How...Oh my god!" I laughed out loud. Wonwoo just yawned at my respond, however, he looked annoyed because I 'mocked' his morning fashion style, "It's 10 A.M.on Sunday and I have my right to sleep 12 hours. And hey, it's my favorite pajamas! A good day isn't complete without good clothes," 

           I still couldn't get over of Wonwoo's sleepy figure in his childlike pajamas but thankfully, I could suppress my laughter, "Ah okay then...I will shop by myself. Can you ask Yeonggu for the shopping list?"

           Wonwoo was reluctant at first, however, I could see he changed his mind after he got an idea. 

           "Okay, wait for me." I nodded.

           I didn't know that Wonwoo's idea was a sly one. He tricked me so that he could accompany me shopping. I was dumbfounded, yet, Wonwoo had taken few steps from the house and yelled, "Are you coming or not?"

***

           The shopping went quickly. On our way back, Wonwoo was hungry so I decided to treat him something cold due to the hot weather. We stopped at the nearest café then rested. While we were savoring parfaits, I noticed a sturdy dark brown wooden guitar resting not far from our table. Unable to hold my excitement, I approached it casually. It was a very simple one. Wonwoo was standing beside me before I realized it.

            "A guitar?" I nodded.

           " No, I mean why are you looking at the guitar ...intensely?"

           "Uh...I wanted to play guitar since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents weren't into music very much and they thought it was useless so they forbid me." I tittered. "Nevertheless, my passion didn't extinguish just like that. I sneaked into my school's music room to play guitar after school."

           Wonwoo kept examining the guitar then stared at me, "If you're that passionate, play it now."

           I was startled by his statement, "I-I don't think the owner will allow that...Besides, I can't play it very well."

          Wonwoo shook his head as he didn't believe me."Not many customers are here and I'm sure the staff wouldn't bother to scold us," he rubs his neck lazily.

           "But-"

           "No buts! Come on, there is no harm in trying." He seemed won't accept any excuses and he was partly correct. I took a deep breath then sat on a chair where the guitar was laid earlier. A slight euphoria rushed as I strung the guitar lightly.

           Hmm...What should I play....Maybe Wonwoo has an idea...

           "Do you have any song in mind?"

           "Up to you." Wonwoo shrugged.

            I squinted my eye, "I'm asking you."

            Wonwoo sighed, "Alright, since it is Sunday, Sunday Morning please."

            "Oh, Maroon 5!" I smiled, "It's one of my favorite songs!" I tuned the guitar before I strung it. As I became accustomed to playing, I sang along.

            "And I never...want to leave..." I stopped singing after I strung the last chord.

            "Bravo!" A sudden cheer erupted. All of the customers gave standing ovations. I immediately bowed as a token of my respect. Wonwoo gave thumbs while grinning. I giggled then saluted him. I was too absorbed in the blissfulness that I didn't notice someone was standing right behind us and cleared his throat. Wonwoo and I averted our attention and saw a boy. He was shorter than us and his canine teeth really stood out. The sharpness reminded me of vampire's fangs. He put his hands on his waist while asking, "Excuse me, who are you?"

            "I-" I was trying to find the suitable word to explain the situation, however, Wonwoo preceded me, "I'm Wonwoo, he is Joshua. Pardon us for using your property without permission. In that case, can I have a word with you?"

            The brown-haired boy thought about Wonwoo's plea for a second before pointing a certain dark oak door.

            "You. Me. Go." Both of them walked steadily. With a slam, they disappeared. Many negative speculations haunted me. I couldn't imagine what will happen to us especially Wonwoo. It wasn't Wonwoo's fault. It was my own wish. Wonwoo couldn't be punished. I kept thinking the worst scenario until they came back. Fortunately, they looked relaxed.

            Looks like the problem is solved? I waited for Wonwoo who was chatting with the boy happily. After he finished, he told me something interesting.

            "So, that kid, name's Mingyu, from Anyang-si, is the brother of this café's owner or you can say it is his sister's. That guitar you were holding is supposed to be disposed of since his sister doesn't want it anymore." Wonwoo smirked, "Good thing he is easy to be bribed. You can have the guitar if you want."

            The last sentence rang in my head. I was bombarded with mixed feeling between joy, grateful, unable to comprehend what was happening, and a strange feeling.The feeling of aching for something more. 

            "Thank you, Wonwoo." Somehow I whispered Wonwoo shyly. Wonwoo replied with a smile. A smile that caused butterflies in my stomach.