First Impression

──the space between us

          ONCE I was a victim of bullying in my last year of primary school because of a mysterious post on the school website. It targeted random people with certain traits such as feeble, poor, ugly, and other low-level traits or simply easy-to-bully one. Honestly, it didn't excite me in any way. I had always stepped out from the bullying stuff until one day, my best friend was targeted right after he had reported the case to the teachers. I couldn't stand and do nothing so I fought back in order to protect him. Since that day, a lot of death wishes bother me. They also took my school bag then burnt it right in front of me. Not to mention, countless mocks, painful hits, unbearable humiliation, and complete isolation even from my best friend.

          The bully ended as I moved to another town alone thanks to my mother. She noticed that I got home in beaten condition and lost many things frequently. She felt uneasy then consoled me to continue my junior high school in her hometown, Changwon, by myself since she must accompany my father. I didn't have any objection so I accepted it without hesitation.

          After the graduation ceremony. I flew to Changwon the next day. It was not really hard to adapt due to the fact that I do most of the house chores. Probably I'll just have to behave more careful and don't cause any trouble. It was awkward for me to meet new people. I remembered that I stumbled and fell right in front of the teacher when I was about to introduce myself. The whole class laughed almost immediately. It was a bad luck for the first day. I didn't know anyone so I just sat in the classroom, watching everyone's activity every day. The habit continued until Jeon Yeonggu, the class president, dragged me from my den to join some games that his friends and he were playing at that time. I had to admit, it was a nice experience. Yeonggu noticed a smile on my face that time, he then always asked me to join his group, either willingly or not. I can say he is my first friend in that school.

          One day, Yeonggu invited me to come over to do a group project. His house is neat, cozy, and somehow, it made me feel warm. I guess he grew up in a very loving family. The progress went smoothly until around evening after I thought it was enough for that day. I tidied my things up and bade goodbye. But when I was about to leave, I met a tall man (or boy because he looked younger than me) with a jet black messy hair in front of the door.

        He was eyeing me with curiosity. I didn't know why yet I felt uneasy. It was like his gaze meant something. I stayed quiet because my mind was blank, unable to perceive what was going on. I was back into my sense when he suddenly smirked. Creepy...I shivered. I shook off that impolite mind then offered my hand, "Hi, I'm Joshua."

        He didn't take my hand instantly, instead, he laughed, "Jeon Wonwoo. Yeonggu's brother."

         What's so funny? I was puzzled. Is there something in my face? I took my cellphone and looked at the reflection. It was perfectly normal.

        "I accidentally thought that you look like my friend, that's all." His voice startled me.       

        His statement made me flushed in red. I put back my cellphone immediately then cleared my throat, "Oh, I see... I have got to go. It was nice meeting you, uh...Wonwoo."

        After saying that, I rushed on my way out and didn't look back. I kept running until my legs gave in and took a deep breath. I couldn't breathe properly during the meeting. Wonwoo's presence....it felt really dominant. I was like a dust compared to him. Maybe I should avoid him...for my sake in the future...With a strong determination, I sighed and continued to go back home.