Chapter 2—One New Blank Page

The Connections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi is still in shock after hearing what her best friend just told her earlier. She totally did not expect this. Jung Soojung, you’re crazy.

“So she told me that she got fired and instead of getting a new job, she wants to build a website. And she told me to quit my job so I could join her? Is she crazy?” Thank god Seulgi got her own room at the office so no one probably notices her habit of talking to herself. But really though, she thinks Krystal’s crazy. She couldn’t even answer her best friend properly and that caused her to say “I’ll think about it” in stuttering mode.

Just when she’s still lost in her own thought, her phone rings which startled her. Oh, it’s Jaebum. She says as she unlocks her phone.

Did you bring your car today? – Jaebum

No, I’m still too tired to drive. – Seulgi

It was only a few seconds until Jaebum replied; Let’s eat dinner together with Mark and Wendy. I’ll pick you up. - Jaebum

Who’s Wendy? – Seulgi

Mark’s friend but I know they will date anytime soon. – Jaebum

Okay see you tonight. – Seulgi

Maybe I should ask Jaebum first before making any decisions. Seulgi sighs as she continues doing her work. Someone knocks her door and there she finds her assistant, Joy, peeking at her room. “The devil calls you. Again.” Joy rolls her eyes.

“Oh god! It’s only been fifteen minutes since I’m done with the assignment she gave me.” Well, Seulgi could only pout.

“I know, right? She’s so crazy I can’t keep up with her too! It feels like she’s giving us assignments to make us…miserably tired.” There’s nothing Joy could do too except complaining about stuff.

“I do feel like I wanna quit sometimes.” Seulgi sighs as she gets up from her seat to meet her evil boss.

“Me too.” Joy agrees. “Even my boyfriend told me to resign because he said I’m being overworked and he never seen a fashion retail being this crazy. Oh, why do I suddenly miss him?”

Seulgi laughs at Joy’s last statement. “Well, meet him then. I heard from Irene your boyfriend is handsome by the way.”

“Of course Yook Sungjae is handsome! But sometimes I feel insecure when people said he’s handsome.” Joy suddenly becomes very honest at Seulgi. “Don’t you feel like that?”

“Well, I rarely meet someone who says Im Jaebum is handsome. Because honestly he’s not—but he’s attractive to me.” Seulgi smiles at Joy. “But when I find one, I do get insecure just like you. Then I told him about it and he always reassures me.”

“Sungjae will never do that. He never realizes what’s going on.” Joy rolls her eyes as she remembers her boyfriend’s childishness. “I think you need to go now, Seulgi. She’ll be mad soon.” Seulgi’s eyes rounded when she remembers that she has to meet her evil boss soon unless she wants to be fired. At least not now. She still needs some times before making her final decision.

 

 

“So you’re saying Krystal persuaded you to quit your job and join her to make this whole website thing?” Jaebum asks his girlfriend while driving down to the restaurant Mark just texted him.

Seulgi nods to that. “But the thing is, you know how crazy my boss is and I wanna quit. But you know, I have no idea if Krystal’s idea gonna work or not. Ah! This is so frustrating!” She messes her hair out of frustration.

“I know.” Jaebum commented. “There are pro and cons in this, to be honest. Do you want me to tell you that?”

“Yes, please.”

“The most obvious thing—you’ll get away from your evil boss if you join Krystal. But you have to work harder than before to build this website. Everyone have to know this website exists, so you have to do some sort of endless promotions to make it work. That means you can’t live as luxury as now because you’ll have no money at the beginning. But you’re being a boss here, so no one will overwork you again. You can stop working when you want to.” Jaebum explains.

“Oh! Since we’re talking about boss, today that evil told me to do her job. Her job for god’s sake! I don’t even understand a bit about the material, but she’s threatening to fire me if I don’t wanna do it.”

“Look Seulgi, you’ve been complaining about your job since the first day we’re dating which is two years ago. I don’t know how you able to come into your office if you don’t like your boss. Tell me honestly, do you wanna quit?”

“Actually, I really want to quit the job and join Krystal.” Seulgi starts. “But I’m afraid I will not be capable enough to make this website…known.”

Jaebum parks the car in front of a restaurant after 30 minutes of driving. He turns off the engine and turns his head to Seulgi. “Listen.” He started. “I always believe you’re capable of doing this type of thing. Don’t be afraid and just do it.” Then he planted a kiss on Seulgi’s forehead, making Seulgi blush a bit and Jaebum smirks at the sight. “I’m the best boyfriend, aren’t I?”

Seulgi rolls her eyes and picks up her bag, ready to get out of the car. “Get lost.”

 

 

Mark excitedly waves his hand right after he sees Jaebum and Seulgi walking inside the restaurant. It’s Mark’s favorite Mexican restaurant that has a dark ambience which makes Seulgi and Jaebum hard to find the blonde-haired guy. Jaebum notices Mark after a while, so he whispers to Seulgi, “Looks like he’s very excited tonight.”

“Don’t tease them, okay? You’ll put them in an awkward situation if you do.”  Seulgi warns Jaebum but the guy only nods playfully, didn’t even take her words seriously. They go straight to Mark’s table but they don’t find this Wendy girl.

“What took you guys so long?” Was the first thing Mark asked to them when Jaebum helped Seulgi with her chair.

“Traffic.” Jaebum replies. “Where’s your friend by the way?”

“Oh, she’s in the restroom.” Then Mark leans his body forward to the couple. “Listen, don’t embarrass me today, alright? You two are the masters of teasing—especially you, Jaebum.” Jaebum only gives the I-don’t-know-anything look to Mark. Not long after that, Wendy comes back to the table and she doesn’t forget to say her greeting first. “Hello, my name is Wendy.” She says and shakes Seulgi and Jaebum’s hands. “You’re so pretty!” Wendy compliments Seulgi which Seulgi returns with a shy ‘thank you’.

As the four wait for their foods, Seulgi starts a conversation with Wendy to make her less awkward. “So Wendy, are you working now?” The basic, of course.

“Oh yes, I’m a freelance writer, but I mostly write for blogs or websites.”

“Oh that must be great then—you can work from home and you don’t have someone who orders you around.” Seulgi commented.

“Well, yes that’s true. But I get insecure once my contract with a certain blog or website expires.” Wendy says with a laugh.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m a freelance writer, so whenever I apply for a job, there must be a contract. Most of my contract lasts for six to eight months, so I always have to apply for a contract all over again. Besides, they don’t really pay me that much.” Wendy explains and she turned to Mark. “That’s why I envy Mark so much. He has a stable income which I always dreamt of.”

“I know, right? I also envy Jaebum so much. He doesn’t work as hard as I do but he gets more money than me!” Seulgi agrees.

“Hey! I work hard, too okay?” Jaebum tried to defend himself then he remembers how hard Seulgi works. “but yours is harder.” He mumbles.

“But we don’t make a lot, though.” Mark

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter