Chapter 1—The Intern

The Connections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s up?” Kang Seulgi asks as soon as she picked up the phone from her best friend, Krystal Jung (or Soojung—as her close friends call her). Krystal has been calling Seulgi for like five times, but Seulgi was unable to pick it up because she was too busy with work and driving. Seulgi knew right away that Krystal is in a bad mood—there’s no way Krystal would do that if she’s happy.

“Where were you? Why didn’t you pick it up?” Krystal bursts with question as soon she hears her best friend’s voice.

“Work as usual. Things are stressing me up.” Seulgi sighs as she put down her bag on the kitchen counter.

“What happened? Did they overwork you again?”

“Yeah, well you know how they do.” Seulgi says as she sits down on the couch. “But why did you call me anyway?”

“Oh yeah about that,” Krystal starts. “A new intern is coming to the office tomorrow and it pisses me off!”

“Why?”

“Because! She’s the daughter of the Kim Publishing’s CEO and she didn’t even send us her CV to get in—she uses her father’s power! You know I hate those types of people, right?” Adolescent, the magazine where Krystal works at as the beauty editor, owns by the Kim Publishing group. It frustrates Krystal to see how the new intern can come as she wish while there are tons of girls out there who might be more skilled than her. Heck, Krystal is not even sure the new intern has the knowledge about magazine at all.

“Well, she can be potential enough to do her job, who knows.” Seulgi tries to calm Krystal down.

“Stop with the positive vibe, Seulgi.” Krystal sounds irritated. “I saw her pictures today and she looked like she’s a typical spoiled brat.”

“Soojung, remember the famous saying don’t judge a book by its cover? You have to see her work first.”

Krystal knew Seulgi is right. Of course she has to see the new intern’s skills and all first, but from the time she saw her picture, she had a feeling that this Kim daughter is using her father’s power to get into Adolescent. Even some of her co-workers agree—the new intern does look like a spoiled little brat which frustrates them. What makes it worse is that the new intern chose which department she wants to be in. And it’s a nightmare for Krystal—she chose the beauty department in which Krystal directs for one and a half years now.

“Even I had to work my off serving coffees when I first started working in here. She’s not even the real employee—she’s an intern for two ing months yet she can write an article from day one.” Victoria, the fashion director, commented as she rolls her eyes.

“But you know, she chose the wrong department.” Amber, the features editor, stated. “She has to deal with the of Adolescent right here.” She said as she pointed at Krystal who looked annoyed by it.

“But Seulgi, if she’s a spoiled little brat like imagine her to be,” Krystal starts. “I will make her regret of her choice.”

 

 

As usual, Krystal went to work at 8.30 and parks her car at 9 in the basement of the Kim Publishing building. She has a quick pace when she’s doing everything, so she walks really fast after she locks her car. Oh, and she still put an annoyed face on.

“Looks like someone’s in a bad mood today.” Minhyuk, her boyfriend of four years (who is also the design director of Adolescent), came out of nowhere—resulting Krystal scared as hell but she could only rolled her eyes. It’s indeed a bad day for her, after all.

“Do I have to pretend I’m happy to welcome the new intern?” Krystal replies and it makes Minhyuk scared—Krystal can be scared as hell when she’s mad.

“Hey, Soojung.” Minhyuk quickly grabs her hand. “Even if she’s pisses you off, I beg you to control yourself. Please don’t be over mad at her. I don’t want my girlfriend to get fired because of that.”

Krystal quickly let his hand go and look around. “We’re in the office! Nobody can find out that we’re dating.” Krystal whispers at him.

“We’re still in the parking lot, idiot. No one can see us.” Minhyuk says calmly. “But you have to promise me, alright?”

“Well, we have to see about that.” Then she leaves as Minhyuk follows her from behind.

 

“Good morning, Krys.” Suzy, one of the features writers, greets Krystal as she gave Krystal her coffee. “I heard she’s late.” Suzy says as she sips her own coffee.

“What the hell? It’s her first day and she’s late?” Krystal’s blood starts to boiling up.

“I know. I think she really is a spoiled brat—just like what we predicted her to be.” Suzy says. “Well, I wish you a very good luck. Fighting!” And she goes back to her seat. Krystal muttered ‘thanks’ before going back to her work which piling up on her desk.

At 9.30, the new intern finally arrives. Bambam, the junior features writer, escorts her because well, nobody’s gonna do that except him. As what people predicted her to be, the intern doesn’t even have an apologetic expression on her face, instead, she looks down on Bambam.

“Hi, my name is Bambam and I’m the junior features writer here. You’re the new intern, right?” He takes out his hand for a handshake, but she only rolls her eyes.

“Okay, you’re a .” Bambam started to get annoyed. “What’s your name anyway?”

“Kim Yeri.” The girl says. “I’m here to work at the beauty department.”

“Well, Kim Yeri, let’s go and meet the real in the office.” Bambam says as he leads Yeri to the beauty department section, and brings her to Krystal’s desk.

“Krystal, this is the new intern.” Bambam introduced Yeri to Krystal.

“Hello, my name is Kim Yeri.” Yeri said as she fake a smile, but Krystal caught on that. Nice try, but I’m not fooled by it.

“I don’t need to know your name. I’m gonna call you as ‘Kim intern’. Just like what I do with other interns in here.” Krystal says as she put on her face on. “I have a few questions to ask. First, why are you late?”

“My father’s personal assistant told me I have to work at 10, but then he told me that he was wrong—I have to start work at 9.” Yeri says without an apology.

“Your father’s personal assistant? You don’t take care of it yourself?” Krystal asks again.

“I’ve never done that since I was little.”

“Okay.” Krystal takes a deep breath. “So the second question, why didn’t you send your CV like any other interns?”

“My father said I could just go.”

“Third question, why did you choose beauty department? Do you know anything about it?”

“I chose beauty department because I love doing make-up and it’s easy.”

“Yeah I can see that.” Namjoo, the beauty writer, sarcastically says. From the beginning, Namjoo has been studying Yeri’s face—she has fake eyelashes on, thick eyeliner, and bright red lipstick. It seems like she’s going to the club i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter