4/4

Kissed By A Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jungkook sat at the river just next to their tent, in a small ravine quiet enough so he could hear his own thoughts.  It was here where he spent time washing his dirtied uniform and let it dry on the grass in the blazing afternoon sun.  He lay down on the soft hill and stared up at the blue sky.  

 

It had only been a week since the battle.  He had spent most of his time avoiding everyone he came in contact with.  Jin, Namjoon, everyone, including General Byun.  Just looking at them made him feel queasy inside, because they only reminded him of Taehyung.  Taehyung, who was still unconscious as far as Jungkook knew.  He received no word from the doctors, or anyone for that matter.

 

It troubled him to no end, not knowing what was going on.  He was the type of person that made the situation so that he expected what was to come.  Nothing was out of the ordinary in his life, just as he liked it.

 

There was a cool breeze that tickled his nose, and he sneezed.  Rubbing his nose, he sat up and sniffed.  The air smelled of death, just as it did as he came back, dragging Taehyung’s body to camp with General Byun’s help.  He shuddered at the memory of the dead weight in his hands.  He ruffled his hair before taking his clothes and walking back to the tent with a heavy heart.

 

He went underneath the flap to see the rest of the team looking depressed and dejected.  Jimin, for once, looked tired and said nothing upon Jungkook’s arrival.

 

“Where were you?” Namjoon asked as he looked up from the pistol he was polishing.

 

“D-doing laundry,” Jungkook answered nervously at the captain’s emotionless tone.  “And I was clearing my head.”

 

“Oh,” the other said, looking down again.  “The general wants to have a word.”

 

Jungkook set his clothes on his bunk and reached for the dog tag around his neck.  He ran his thumb along the ridges where his name was engraved into the soft metal.  “I don’t want to talk to him,” he said simply.

 

Namjoon sighed.  “Jungkook, you can’t just ignore the general.  When he wants to talk to you, he means business.”

 

“Just leave him be,” Jin said from across the tent.  “He’s had enough for the time being.”

 

The captain growled.  “If this is about Taehyung…”

 

“What did he do to you?” Jungkook asked softly, looking at the other with hurt-filled eyes.  “And I’ll have you know that I don’t want to talk to General Byun because it only reminds me of him.”  He looked away.  “He helped me carry him in…that day… ”

 

The entire tent was filled with silence, as if mourning for Taehyung.  Jungkook felt more and more uncomfortable as he stood there in the deafening silence, almost as quiet as when he strained to hear Taehyung’s words as he lay on his lap dying.  He pushed the thought into the recesses of his mind.

 

Jungkook walked out without another word.

 

The rest of the camp was buzzing with excitement.  There was news about the talk of ending the war altogether.  No major battles had hit them ever since Jungkook’s arrival.  Jungkook just couldn’t think about ending the war, not when he was in one himself.  His mind told him to move on, that his country was depending on his help.  At the same time, his heart told him to wait.  

 

He was growing tired of waiting.

 

He grabbed a small loaf of bread from the food storage and was making his way back to the tent when he saw General Byun leaning up against the wooden post right outside of it.  The man looked tired, his skin as pale as ever and his eyes as dark as a new moon.

 

“Since when do you have the authority to reject my invitation, soldier?” he chuckled lowly.

 

Jungkook his lips and stuffed the bread in his pocket.  “I’m not rejecting it, sir.  I’m simply avoiding it.”

 

The man scoffed.  He began to walk down the trail, and Jungkook followed.

 

“I believe an apology is at order,” he started.  “I was just worried.  I’ve already lost thousands of lives in this bloody war, and I don’t need to lose yours too.”

 

Jungkook nodded, but frowned.  “But my life is insignificant to others, such as yours with rank.  Why care about my life when you knew I was going to die?” he asked.

 

Baekhyun laughed bitterly.  “He knew this was going to happen.  Your father.”

 

Jungkook turned to him, his eyes wide.  “You knew my father?”

 

“I knew your father, because he was the general before I was given the title,” the other explained.  “He was an honorable man, one of great bravery.  He didn’t hesitate to help others around him when they were suffering.  The reason why more than half of us are still here is because of him.”

 

They reached the wooden fence just beyond the fields, and they stopped to take in the vast view.  It was a pretty view, even though it was one filled with blood.

 

“He taught me to be like you,” Baekhyun continued.  “I saw myself in you when you were dragging Taehyung back yesterday.”  He sighed heavily.  “He often talked about you.  You were always on his mind.  You should feel proud that he constantly thought about you.”

 

Jungkook nodded with a slight smile.

 

The older man leaned back against the fence.  “When he passed from a bullet wound…before he breathed his last breath, he told me to protect you,” he said.  “He knew you were going to come out here and try to find him in this hell hole.”

 

“He knew me so well,” Jungkook said quietly.

 

“Indeed,” Baekhyun agreed.  “So when you came here, I looked for every excuse to send you back.  You didn’t need to be exposed to such a sight.”  He made a face.  “Chanyeol just had to be persistent that day.”

 

Jungkook laughed softly.

 

Baekhyun stared out onto the open fields.  “I went through the same moment as you did yesterday.  My mind flashed back without warning…to the death of your father.”

 

The boy felt tears dribble down his face as he continued to listen to the general’s words.

 

“I…I couldn’t leave him that day,” the man faltered.  “He told me to go, just as Taehyung did to you.”  He turned and looked at Jungkook with eyes filled with memories, both good and bad.  “I couldn’t let you live through that moment of agony.”

 

Jungkook sniffed loudly and wiped his tears hastily, keeping his gaze on the long swaying grass.  His heart seemed to crumble even more with every word escaping Baekhyun’s mouth.  He knew those words were meant for good, but somehow, they seemed to be making him feel worse.  His stomach flipped in nausea at the thought of his own father dying exactly like that at Baekhyun’s feet.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat and looked back at the view.  “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to sadden you,” he said softly, for a change.  “I actually came to tell you something else.”

 

Panic gripped Jungkook’s entire being.  “And…?”

 

“Taehyung’s awake.”

 

Jungkook turned and stared at the general.  “What?”

 

“He woke up this morning actually.  I meant to tell you, but --”

 

Jungkook found himself running away from the general down the path.  He didn’t need any more words to confirm it.  He just needed to see it with his eyes.  He breathed in and out as steadily as he could as his feet hit the gravel earth and crunched the first falling leaves of autumn.  The air seemed to be warmer than usual, though it still burned his lungs.

 

His heart continued beating hard against his ribcage as he stopped in the middle of the camp.  He turned in circles, not knowing where to go.  He let out a hopeless groan as he dashed to the infirmary on the other side.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter