Lavender

Paper Stars

Lavender

 

Jaebum finds Mark washing the dishes in their apartment's crammed little kitchen, speakers on medium as he hums along to the beat. It's a bit unexpected—because living with two borderline compulsive hoarders and the human version of a sloth means Jaebum is the only one committed enough to do any kind of chore willingly around here—but it isn't entirely a surprise. Unlike Jinyoung and Jackson, who pointedly ignore Jaebum whenever he tells them to get their done, Mark for the most part actually does his part. Unwillingly and all the while trying to wrestle his way out with cute pouts, but he does. 

Aware that Jackson and Jinyoung are back in their rooms Jaebum lets his guard down and smiles, leaning against the kitchen counter as he watches Mark vigorously scrub a plate clean. The sleeves of his over-sized red sweatshirt keep slipping down his forearms and he keeps pulling them up with the ridge of his nose, face scrunching up in annoyance when the motion does little to keep them up. Jaebum bites the corner of his lip, trying not to laugh when he notices Mark has somehow managed to get suds at the back of his head. 

It's a cool autumn afternoon and the glow of the midday light is trickling through their kitchen window, catching against the brown of Mark's hair and giving it a golden hue. Mark looks so soft and cozy like that, his socked foot taping along to the beat of the song and something flutters in Jaebum's heart at the sight of him, eyes going hazy with warmth. Jaebum fights the insistent urge to bother him, knows he should just go back to his room and finish that dreaded microeconomics essay he's been putting off for two weeks now because it's due tonight - but then Mark's sleeve slides down again and the older man let's out a frustrated sigh and Jaebum can't help but give in. 

Jaebum walks quietly towards him, grabbing his arm to roll up the sleeve properly. Mark doesn't startle at the touch, instead turning around in confusion to look at who it is. When he catches Jaebum's eyes a huge smile breaks out on his face and he extends his arm out to make it easier, getting soapy water from the rubber gloves on Jaebum's shirt. 

"What bet did you lose?" Jaebum asks as he finishes rolling up Mark's right sleeve, remembering that it's actually Tuesday. Which means it's Jackson's turn to do the dishes and not Mark's. And in true Jackson fashion they are either not done at all or done at midnight once Jaebum is done giving him an earful like the grumpy old man Youngjae says he is turning into. 

"Turns out Bam is not as chicken as we all thought." Mark gives him the other arm without prompting, and Jaebum doesn't miss the way Mark bites his lip when Jaebum's thumb graces against the underside of his wrist. Jaebum catches the American's eyes playfully as he brushes his index finger over the skin again, letting his touch linger before he finishes rolling up the left sleeve securely around Mark's forearm. This time Mark narrows his eyes at him and takes his arm back, reaching for the next plate. But the smile remains, tugging pleasantly at the corner of Mark's lips and Jaebum can't help but grin back as he leans against the sink, reaching a hand out.

"He actually asked Jimin-ie out?" He asks, wiping the suds from the back of Mark's head. 

"This morning," replies Mark.

"You know he totally told Jackson before doing it."

"Oh, I know. That little is gonna pay for lying to me." Jaebum laughs as Mark's smile turns devious, all too familiar with the sadistic streak behind his angelic face. Bambam won't know what hit him. 

"Make him pay for ruining my shoes too," he whispers back conspiringly, and when Mark replies with a wink Jaebum can't help but thread his fingers through the soft hair at his nape, reveling in the way Mark sighs and leans into his touch.

Jaebum might like Tuesday's afterall. 

Jaebum had missed him. Jaebum had really missed him. It's ridiculous really, considering they are flatmates and it's not like he doesn't see Mark all the time. Sure, they haven't told Jackson and Jinyoung about it yet and are still being cautious, but it's not like him or Mark are particularly needy when it comes to affection. It's just that Jaebum has barely seen him for the past three days, having picked up extra shifts at work that had thrown his entire schedule out of whack. It was hitting Jaebum now as he stood in the kitchen next to him, feeling the heat radiating off the older man, watching the light bounce off the pink that tinted his cheeks.

Maybe that's why Jaebum reaches forward and pulls Mark close, searching his eyes for a few heartbeats before claiming his lips, smiling into the kiss when Mark freezes for a brief second before he melts into the circle of Jaebum's arms and lets out a breathless laugh. Maybe that's why Jaebum into his mouth, cradling Mark's face and not caring that the gloved hands at his hips are making his shirt stick uncomfortably to his skin. 

Maybe Jaebum stopped caring about being found out a long time ago. Probably. Especially considering that he lets his hand wander under the hem of Mark's sweatshirt now, seeking his warmth like an addict. 

"They are home," Mark whispers between a kiss, but he doesn't let go, only pressing Jaebum back against the sink when he bends to at the underside of Mark's jaw, fingers spread against the small of Mark's back. He's so warm.

Jaebum pulls back to look down at him, grinning so wide his eyes turn into half moons. "If they still haven't figured it out they are honestly idiots."

"Yeah?" Mark grins back, pulling down at the collar of his shirt.

Jaebum leans into him, along his bottom lip. "Jinyoung should get his title as smart- revoked." 

Mark laughs, the light from the window catching on his eyelashes as they flutter closed. 

"Hey, I'm getting fried chicken you want—WHAT THE FU—!"

They both turn at the sound of the loud crash, Jaebum leaning over Mark's shoulder to find Jackson splayed on the floor, completely bug eyed and pointing a trembling finger towards them. Jaebum follows his gaze, grinning when Jackson's eyes land on the spot where his hand disappears under the fabric of Mark's sweatshirt. But before any of them can say anything a pair of footsteps echo loudly through the apartment and within seconds Jinyoung is at the door of the kitchen, looking at Jackson in bewilderment. 

"Why are you screa—" Jinyoung starts, but then his eyes land on the pair by the sink and he stops. And stares. And then stares some more. And right when Jaebum is about to tell him off Jinyoung grins and turns back towards Jackson.

"You owe me fifty."

 

 

------------------------

Notes:

I wanted to write fluffy!Markbum but fic!JB was really pushing for some make-out. Tsk. Comments are lovely and keep the creativity flowing~