001

나 가는 날 (The day you leave me)

Everyone gathered in front of Gyeongbokgung Palace after hearing that King Sejong was sick, uknowingly why. One by one bowed to their God, praying for the recovery of the Greatest King. The minister called the Shamans he believed that could cure King Sejong, but to no avail. Some people were busy with their daily routines, but not to forget to pray for the King's health. King Sejong's princes and princesses were called over to see their father, probably for their last time. 

The minister didn't leave the room; never once, afraid that the King might die any soon though he didn't ask for it. He was there next to the King, to obey all his words and rules. 

"Minister Jang..." 

Hearing his name was called, Minister Jang quickly turned around and bent down to reach the King's mouth level. "Yes, Your Highness."

"Please... do me a.. favor." The King barely talked, and his eyes were blinded. He could not see anything, except for reaching things and messing up with the room without the Minister's help.

"Yes, Your Highness. What can I do for you?" 

"Under my bookshelf.... there's... there's a book... There is an envelope... Please look for Jeon Won..woo..."

It was exactly the King's last words, before he closed his eyes. Minister Jang, the one who faithfully worked all these years for King Sejong, who promised he would not cry upon the death of the King, shed tears. There were too many things unsettled in his head and now the King asked for a favor. Who is Jeon Wonwoo? He asked himself. But there was no time for it. He called all the princes and princesses over, to give the last honor bow to their father, before they could announce to all the Hanseong residents that their country lost its King.

The first prince and son, called Yi Hyang, came over and bowed to the floor, sad by his father's death. He felt that his father was very young to die, and cried at the corner when his siblings took turn to bowed. From the first son to the youngest daughter, all Minister Jang could do was secretly crying. He felt responsibled towards the princes and princesses, who had lost their mother not so long ago. Now who was going to lead the country?

But then again, Jeon Wonwoo came into his mind. Who is him and how did King Sejong know him?


After the death ceremony, Hanseong became a quieter kingdom. The new king election shall start 60 days after the death ceremony, and Yi Hyang was sent to study political issues. 

Minister Jang was walking around the palace, trying to enter the King's room. He roamed around the palace to see if there were any unfamiliar faces that would claim they are Jeon Wonwoo. They made an announcement that they were looking for a person called Jeon Wonwoo, but no one has yet to appear. He was very sure that the news has spread until the most southern places. Seeing that no court lady was around, Minister Jang quickly entered the late's room and made his way to the bookshelf where King Sejong kept his books. 

There were lots of book and probably no way for Minister Jang to look for them one by one. He went to the lowest shelf, where he believed the book was placed there, by instinct. There were a couple of books on it, but one book looked like it was burnt caught Minister Jang's attention. As much as he knew, King Sejong took care of most of his books, never even let them scattered in his room. He took the book and flipped through pages; empty. There were no sign of any secret. Maybe I took the wrong book, he thought. Just as he was about to put it back on the shelf, an small envelope, smelled like burnt papers fell out from the book. What is this? He asked himself. 

He took the envelope and saw the hanja characters written on it. He smiled, succeeding in doing King Sejong's favor. He shoved the envelope into his hanbok and placed the book back on where it used to. He walked to the door and closed the door behind him, slowly not to make any sounds. 

He entered his room that was located only few steps away from the King's room. He closed the door, making sure it was locked. Setting his on his seat, he opened the envelope.

"My dear faithful Minister Jang. 

It must have been a shock for you to read this message when I am gone. I have asked you countless times to do me a favor, but I swear this would be my last. I will never and could never ask for more after this. 

Minister Jang.

I have been keeping this secret for quite some time. I will go straight to my point. Please help me to find Jeon Wonwoo, my son. He was born not long after Princess Jeongui was born. After he was born, I am not sure where did he live, who did he live with. Please look for him. He is also my son, also the prince. Eventhough an illegitimate son has no right to take after my place, please make sure he becomes the King. Send him to the classes he should. If he is dead, please look for his heirs, send regards and help them financially..."

Minister Jang could not read the letter until the finishing words. He could not believe what he just read. He never thought King Sejong would betray his wife, after everyone knew how much he had loved Queen Wongyeong. But that wasn't the problem. He must look for Jeon Wonwoo. It was the King's favor and he could not say no, even after his death.

"...please keep this as a secret from his other siblings, until his election for the king."

It was hard for Minister Jang to digest everything that he had read. This wasn’t a favor; it was mostly like a mission. He wasn’t sure how should he start, but he knew he has to look for Jeon Wonwoo as soon as possible. 


'How could I possibly look for this young man? There's no any signs or address of him...' Minister Jang said to himself. He wiped his sweat on his forehead, eyes looking around to the unfamiliar view in front of him. There were kids playing near the lake, making noises and laughed as if they own the whole world. Minister Jang had been looking for this person called Wonwoo, still couldn't find him? Could he be dead? 'Ah! Even so, I have to find his heirs!' 

Minister Jang ruffled his hair in frustration and continued the walk. 'To find his heirs, he must've gotten married. But if he was born not long after Princess Jeongui, he is just 20 years old. He.... isn't possibly dead, right?' The thoughts compiled in Minister Jang's head. "Ah.. King Sejong... Your Highness, could you have shared the secret with me, it wouldn't me this hard to look for your son." He said, accidentally kicked a big rock.

"Ahhh!" The sound of a man shouting in pain made Minister Jang stopped talking to himself. He lifted up his head and looked for the person who just shouted. 

Not so tall, not so short. Wonwoo turned around, looking at the old man with long beard on his face. "Ah, sir! You kicked the rock and it hit me on my head!" He whined, touching his head. 

Minister Jang could only bowed as a sorry and walked passed the guy without any words.

"Sir!"

Minister Jang turned around.

"What will you gonna do with my head?"

"It doesn't bleeding. I'm sure it's fine." Minister Jang replied, keeping his straight face. He turned around again, and continued his journey.

Wonwoo jerked his face. "Wonwoo, this is really not your day." Earlier, he fell from the tree after he stole some wild fruits from the courtsman's house, and then his mother hit him with a broom, knowing he stole food from other people. Just now, he just got hit from the old man.

Much to Minister Jang's luck, he overheard the name and as a stimuli, he turned his body and looked at Wonwoo.

"What?" Wonwoo asked, still rubbing his head.

"Did you just say 'Wonwoo'?" Minister Jang came closer. If this was really Wonwoo, he was the happiest man in this world.

"Did I?" Wonwoo asked himself. He rolled his eyes a few times before he shrugged. 

"What is your name, young man?: Minister Jang could not have been more excited than this. 

Wonwoo didn't answer, instead he lifted up a brow and looked at this man strangely. "Who are you? Why do you want to know?"

Minister Jang shook his head. "Could you please show me where is your house at?" 

"Strange old man." Wonwoo whispered. He judged Minister Jang from head to toe before he agreed, taking the old man to his house. 


First chapter completed! Not much, anyway. It'll get better soon, I promise! Oh well, if you notice, Wonwoo here isn't like Wonwoo we know. That's why we call it a fanfiction, right? It should have been longer, but I decided to separate them into two chapters so you won't get tired to always scroll the page down (because I know the feeling)