when you laugh

pastel ribbons

when you laugh


“Hey hyung.” Hoseok’s voice echoed through the living room for the fourteenth time since he arrived at the elder’s apartment, and he knew full well that Yoongi was listening, just choosing within himself to ignore and never respond. “Hyung, I have an idea of what to do tonight. Hyung, listen to me.”

Yoongi, fed up with the gradual loudening tone of Hoseok’s voice, spun around in his chair, facing away from the music project he was currently working on, and listened. “Fine, fine, I’m listening. What’s your idea?” He said it more as a statement than a question, as he always did, but Hoseok didn’t mind. He knew he meant it in the best way.

“Since you’ve recently set up your Xbox,” He began sheepishly, causing Yoongi to emit a low-pitched groan and drop his head down onto his desk, “And I have Just Dance with me, because I brought all my Kinect games over, we could play that. Because, you know, I kind of wanna whip your at something, for once. But I won’t judge.”

Yoongi laughed, for the first time in a while. Stress to actually finish his music compositions in time for their due date was piling up, and everyone, Hoseok especially, could tell that he wasn’t in the best condition. He hadn’t properly laughed, or even smiled fully, in a few weeks. Hoseok yearned to see the elder’s beautiful face light up with joy again, and he didn’t care if it was at his own expense. “What, and see me fail? Miserably?” He said, laughing. Upon Hoseok’s curt nod, he added, “Yeah, okay. Let’s do that.”

He got up out of his oh-so-comfortable desk chair, grunting when he stumbled into the edge of the table but making his way over the Hoseok, who sat by the TV, without further complaints. He reached down to below the screen, turning on the Xbox and opening the tray. “Wanna go get the disc for me?”

Hoseok got up instantly, rushing to Yoongi’s room and grabbing the game from his bag, rushing back to the living room immediately. Yoongi set the game up and got it running quickly.

“Which song first?” Hoseok said excitedly, scrolling through the list of songs. “I’m so torn. I love them all. I love Miniskirt, but I also love Touch My Body, I don’t know what to do, hyung!”

Giggling, Yoongi swiped across and chose Miniskirt, because apparently, “It’s the only one I sort of know the moves to,” making Hoseok laugh. The dance started, and neither of them were really all that prepared.

Hoseok got off to a good start, knowing the dance from start to finish already. He was paying attention to himself only, concentration not flickering and getting flawless! repeatedly. Yoongi, however, was an entirely different story.

He had never been much of a dancer, to put it kindly. He was, in Hoseok’s own words, a disaster with stiff limbs. He never knew how to move his body and, despite his talents as a well-timed rapper, seemed to always be out of time. “But it’s okay,” as Hoseok would say, “because you’re cute and I dance well enough for both of us.” Which really wasn’t a lie, so Yoongi never argued. This time, during one of the less challenging moves (though they were all very easy, to Hoseok), the younger glanced at Yoongi, who was struggling with even the easiest of moves. He looked completely ridiculous, sending Hoseok into a fit of laughter, loud enough to wake the neighbourhood. The blonde haired elder pouted at Hoseok’s laughs, complaining, “You said you wouldn’t judge!” Hoseok continued to laugh anyway, falling into a heap on the floor and watching Yoongi try to keep up with the constant -wiggling combined with the floor parts, failing to keep in time and stay on beat. Over time, with Hoseok’s flawless moves becoming big red X’s due to his laughing state on the carpet, Yoongi crept up behind Hoseok’s points and overtook him in lead, gold crown on the scoreboard scooting over to his name. A cheer from the boy made Hoseok laugh even harder, tears beading in his crinkled eyes and white teeth showing. Yoongi watched him from the corner of his eye, grinning to himself that be made the younger boy smile like that. He loved it when he laughed this enthusiastically, this happily, because it made him happy too.

Hoseok couldn’t really breathe, at all, which should have been more of a concern for both boys, but neither could care less. With Yoongi looking at the screen and trying his absolute best (“I tried really hard hyung, I swear-”) and Hoseok laughing the most he had laughed in days, they were both too caught up in each other’s presence and happiness to care all that much about the necessities, such as breathing. As the song ended, Yoongi’s pose brought the loudest laugh out of the younger so far. Yoongi stood in front of the TV, smiling with satisfaction, his jutted out and pure pride smeared onto his face. Hoseok laughed so hard he was crying, tears streaming thickly down his cheeks, face stained a deep red from his laughing state and back against the carpet. “Hyung, help me hyung-” Hoseok managed to get out, trying to sit up. Yoongi looked at him, grinning and holding out an arm to help Hoseok up, but as the younger pulled himself into a sitting position, he started coughing violently. Not good.

Yoongi frowned, watching him curiously and worriedly, as Hoseok’s eyes widened and sparkly laughs became dry, painful sounding coughs, and breathing became a real issue. “Hoseok, are you- are you okay?” Yoongi asked, and a shake of Hoseok’s head had him getting up and rushing to the kitchen, pouring a glass of water and handing it to Hoseok quickly. The younger immediately guzzled it down, breath coming back to him, chest heaving and eyes closed.

“I didn’t think you’d be the one to end up wheezing on the floor, considering this is the first time I’ve done exercise in months and you do it every day. But, you’re lucky to have a boyfriend like me, huh?” Yoongi poked, teasingly, at his chest. The younger whined in protest, but finished off his glass of water and put it on the coffee table next to him.
“Don’t be mean, you’re supposed to love me,” He whined again, pouting at the elder. “Don’t you love me?”

Yoongi rolled his eyes impatiently, pulling Hoseok closer and kissing him softly. His fingers caught in the front of Hoseok’s shirt, teeth grazing at the younger’s lower lip, and flicking a tongue over it to soothe the sting. Hoseok’s eyes fluttered shut, hands clasping Yoongi’s jaw loosely, sighing into his mouth. “Of course I love you, you complete and utter ,” was Yoongi’s only rational reply, when he pulled away from the younger’s grasp and tempting, only slightly swollen, lips
“Good.” Hoseok got up, collecting himself. “Ready for round two?”

And the suggestive glint in his eyes made Yoongi think that maybe, maybe just, there would be quite a few rounds to this tonight.