go go byun baekhyun!

Behind that face

"think of it as breaking the ice! Friends are a must to survive in university!"- kim jongdae

a/n: unbeta. spelling erros and other stuff ahead.

"Alright." Baekhyun muttered repeatedly, trying to multi-task to the best of his abilities. Speaking to Kim Jongdae on the phone while trying to shelve his books neatly is a tough task, undenieably hard. Jongdae had the shrill voice which reminded him of the ahjummas in the morning market where they frequent to bargain for fresh goods in high-pitched voices. He always sighed and wondered how a mere early twenties man had to deal with such a high voice even after puberty. Not that he would say it out loud, Jongdae would probably glare at him and still he would never be able to understand the works of nature on puberty. Even though he was a straight A student in Science even during his early school days, he knew he would never had a knack for the subject, let alone its sister branches of Biology, Physics or Chemistry so without further ado, he signed up for the business course in university right after the release of his entrance examination results. For someone like Baekhyun, his results were good enough to go any courses in university but Baekhyun had always the clearest mind of all, chose exactly what he wanted.

His father beg to differ, he pointed at Baekhyun accusingly for trying to make him poor by signing up for something as useless as university. He assured his father he would never use a single cent given by his parents. Byun Baekhyun knew his financial plight was real bad, leading him to a holidays filled nothing but mulitple part-time jobs, working his off while the other graduates went on several food journeys and spectacular overseas vacations. Fate was never his forte but Byun Baekhyun knew better than to cry and be useless, dwelling over his potential ruined university life.Sure enough, he entered university with his hard-earned savings and would stop at nothing to get the full scholarship in his second year.

Right now, he would rather work in that little cafe and had his head screamed off by the unreasonable lady boss than to hear Jongdae arguing with him about getting to join the 'before-university-gathering'. It is a yearly party planned by seniors in university and the meal would be fully paid for, a simple occasion to to welome the new students. It is a well-disguised welcome gathering which actually meant for the seniors to prey on the new kids, in other words, something akin to fellowship meeting. Despite his un-exciting social life, Baekhyun was never too dumb to not know of the real motive behind such a gathering. There is simply no free lunch in the world- in this case, no free dinner.

"Listen to me! Byun! You need to have some fun!" Jongdae pleaded, making pouty faces on the other side. Baekhyun could hear Xiumin's voice rumbling too, "he is right! right!"

"I have a shift in the morning." Baekhyun explained and wiped the sweat off from his forehead, satisfied as the bulky economics encyclopedia could finally be shoved into the space left. He just spent an hour, trying to clear up and free up some space for his new books in that small rented apartment.

"The gathering is at 7pm! How does a morning shift got to do with a dinner? " Baekhyun sighed as Jongdae continued to nag. Baekhyun rolled his eyes before agreeing, "I don't exactly mind then. It is free, right?"

"Yes! You little cheapsskate!" Jongdae hissed but added in sweetly, "okay! okay! See you then tomorrow!"

"yes. yes." Baekhyun hung up and plopped into the bed. his blanket, he smacked his lips and drifted into a deep slumber.

.

.

.

He huffed and puffed and- phew, he made it on time. He held onto the door of the barbeque store, sighing loudly and bent down to take a deep breath. He was afraid that he would be late. He remembered being late for his class gathering once and ended up as the one being teased, forced to drink by his classmates for being late. He never liked the feeling of giving in into peer pressure. As if I were a puppy dog being tossed around. He gripped harder on the canvas strap, and breathed in.Inwardly, he cursed the lady boss for the sudden impromptu add-on shift but, sighs it was not as if he could not resist the additional payment. Now, he had to face a group of socialites. A chill in his bones and he shivered. Remember what Jongdae told me... wait , what if I run away? I mean Jongdae won't-

He turned around, read to just go off but only to meet the cold eyes of a tall man who stood by an expensive-looking white car from a distance, across the road, watching him with no expression. Then... he saw it- There was a slight twitch in the right corner of the man's lips. Baekhyun blinked and narrowed his eyes. Was that a smirk or a smile? If it were a smirk, was that a taunting? He stared further and the man looked back innocently,the stern and devillish eyes suddenly melted into cotton candy-like sweet and kind. Baekhyun looked away, either way. his guts feelings did not favour this man at all. 

He pushed the door opened. And why did he do that? He had no idea.

"late! late! late! late!" a chorus of voices greeted him and that moment, he felt like the world crushed on him. How on earth did this happen to him again? 

With a glare towards his already half-drunk buddy, Jongdae quickly picked up on the signal, sending a sheepish smile and explained on his behalf that he had work earlier on. However, the bulky-looking man, seated across Jongdae, rolled his eyes dramatically, scoffing.

"Still! As the organiser, I had to enforce our rule!" he declared and the others joined in, shouting, "Soju! Soju! Soju!"

The man stood up and went over gracelessly. Baekhyun did not like this man. He swung the bottle and poured it into a glass , sighing, "But, Since you have a valid reason and soon, I am your senior- I guess I can give you some slack, you don't need to drink that entire carton of soju. Drink this up."

Baekhyun reached out to drink but the senior's hand drew back, smiling flirtatiously. "Let me know your name first!"

Baekhyun did not return the smile, opting to bow, " I am Byun Baekhyun! Plase take care of me!"

He took the glass and drank without stopping. Right after he stopped, his face blushed and he tried to stabilise himself. The man looked less than impressed and smiled oddly, "I am Kangin."

He shifted next to Jongdae and Jongdae whispered into his ears. "A retainee. Should be a second year but he is going to be a first year like us when uni starts."

Baekhyun nodded as he observed, unimpressed at sight of the big man waving around with bottles of soju and chicken. A delinquent.

"Hi. I am here." after a few minutes of conversing, a new figure walked in and Baekhyun watched as everyone almost gave up a seat for the new boy. Hmph. Unfair treatment huh. There was no so-called punishment and Baekhyun stared harder before he realised it was the man who was watching him just now. 

"Hello. I am Park Chanyeol. Sorry about being late. " Baekhyun's breath hitched. He knew this name. Chanyeol was a legend in his university, mature and well-known for his good temper. What really caught Baekhyun's attention wasn't the rumors of him being extra handsome nor about his impressive family background. Instead it was the fact that the man despite older, was a first and a second year at the same time. Unlike most of the students, he was not retained for his low attendance rate and thus little assignments to grade on. He seemed to have a valid reason and the school board allowed him to take first year and second year courses at the same time. If only Baekhyun could do so too, he would have one less year of school fees to pay. He was deep in thoughts, not noticing how Chanyeol's eyes darken with Baekhyun still sitting firmly in his own seat while others fussed over him. There was a brief silence when Chanyeol poured a drink for himself, raising the glass to his lips before gulping it down swiftly. Everyone clapped. Chanyeol flashed his grin, rubbing the back of his neck, "I- I am sorry for being late."

Cue the roll of eyes as the others squealed over his cute apology. Baekhyun bit down the urge to mock the girls and the guys for having the hearts in their eyes as they worshipped the pure being named Chanyeol. No matter how much of a legend Chanyeol might appear, Baekhyun could not find himself to be any impressed. To him, this Park guy was just a mere fellow who was studying in the same university and a competitor for his scholarship. With that, he just ate the free food with ease, never bothering to send a single glance towards the so-called legend.

"Senpai!" a sweet calling caused Baekhyun to choke on his food. The girl across him became utterly bored and shifted next to Chanyeol. "Let me toast to you! I have heard so much about you! Please take care of me."

One of the reasons as to why Baekhyun did not talk to this girl was evident. He was a pure boy with little liking towards pretentious young ladies who like to do nothing but paint their nails in bright and intimidating patterns and dress fashionably in branded clothes. The girl was easily a socalite who resembled the typical kdrama-kind of evil little sister in a Gangnam family sitcom. Chanyeol politely greeted her back but was flustered when she wanted to toast to him. There were wolf whistles everywhere. Baekhyun watched in pure boredom. His eyes shifted from the girl to Chanyeol. Then- he saw it again, the famillar cold eyes which pierced through him earlier on, being situated on the girl's hands as she moved them seductively to the bottle of soju, attempting to pour into an empty glass. 

"It's okay. You don't have to drink. I would still take care of you as a senior." hanyeol's hands reached over to stop the pouring but the girl insisted with whiny noises, forcefully trying her way. Or was that even force? Baekhyun smiled to himself. That girl was a pretender. She whined as she enjoyed the calloused hands abover her, raising the bottle intentionally to show her false sincerity. Baekhyun sighed on behalf of Chanyeol. His eyes continued to be fixated on their hands. Hmm...

Something was off a few seconds later. He saw Chanyeol twisting her hand and the bottle of soju was poured over Chanyeol's pants. The girl immediately let go and looked shocked for a moment. Everyone looked up.

"Oops." Chanyeol said, still wearing a smile. The girl apologised profusely, head hanging lower and lower. Baekhyun's eyes widened. A quick flahs of smirk was seen on Chanyeol's face before he shook his head understandingly. 

"It's okay. Please excuse me to the toilet."

"Senpai- I!"

"It's okay. Everyone, stop staring at me! Continue your dinner." Chanyeol grinned as he cued everyone to eat again.

Baekhyun watched as Chanyeol walked towards the toilet. He breathed in. A sudden thought invaded his mind--

Was that intentional?

"Baekhyun!" the bulky man shouted at him, "Can you bring some toilet paper here? Chanyeol's seat is wet."

Baekhyun nodded.


 

.

.

.

Baekhyun was awkwardly pulling a long roll of toilet paper when Chanyeol stared at him, distractedly washing his pants to the best of his attempts.

"Junior, right?" Chanyeol spoke and Baekhyun nodded, not bothering to smile at all. Baekhyun might look pliant with his harmless face looking nothing but neutral but his mind was nothing but harmless. Chanyeol stopped smiling for a while, sighing. The sigh was unexpected and Baekhyun stared back hard. 

"What is your name?" Chanyeol smiled again and this time, there was tinge of amusement that Baekhyun hated.

"Byun Baekhyun."

.

.

.

"Baekhyun! Let's do this project together!" the cheery voice exclaimed and Baekhyun wanted to shove his face into his jacket the second time to muffle his cries. By second time, it meant the say itself. It would be the thirty fifth time this month. Everyone looked on enviously as Baekhyun shifted his seat next to Chanyeol. Since the party, Chanyeol had fully utilised his name when he stepped into the institute. 

There was no apparent reason as to why Chanyeol particularly adored him. Jongdae was nothing but a ty friend who claimed and a about how Chanyeol might have a crush on him, thus pushing him to Chanyeol. This attention was unwanted with a few anonymous humans sending him threat messages once in a while. It did not help clearly with Chanyeol being in the same faculty and major as him. He asked once, "Senpai,  why do you always call me to be your partner in class?"

"Because Baekie is reliable! And Baekie looks adorable when he is serious."

It took Baekhyun less than a minute to realise he was adopted like a puppy.

.

.

.

"How is your day with Chanyeol?" a few girls sat across Baekhyun in the cafeteria and Baekhyun let out a long sigh.

"What do you want?"

"Leave Chanyeol alone."

...

"We are just friends."

"Friends? Do you think we are dumb?" one of them laughed mockingly, "People like you like to climb on upper-level men's legs like they are Buddha."

Baekhyun raised from his seat, carrying his own tray. He was stunned for a moment as the long mirror a few tables away reflected a Chanyeol, smirking , arms crossed, utterly amused.

He calmed himself down and bit his lips. Of course, Chanyeol senpai was a devil. Poor little girls who think a sheep could be tamed by them when it was clearly a wolf- an alpha wolf. 

.

.

.

"Baekie!" Chanyeol grinned dashingly as he wrapped his arms around Baekhyun. Baekhyun was more than surprised once he was out of his apartment. Chanyeol was standing there, looking too expensive for a cheap neighbourhood. Baekhyun was wearing his oversized beige pullover and a comfortable pair of denim jeans. Chanyeol's breath lingered on his neck and he froze as Chanyeol's fluffly hair tickled his ears. "You didn;t tell me you are dropping out of school."

Baekhyun released himself from the hug. "How did you know?"

Chanyeol crossed his arms, pouting. "Jongdae told me."

"Jongdae?" Baekhyun's eyes wavered. He got into a fight with Jongdae because of this. He was vexed and unwilling to talk about his drop out due to him unable to get the scholarship. Jongdae was worried and kept pestering him about a solution and he ended up screaming at his best friend, ausing a sudden melt-down. Jongdae was hurt and angered. They had not kept in contact since. Luckily, it was the holidays and he did not need to meet Jongdae in school.

Chanyeol observed Baekhyun, a smile suddenly forming on his face. He unintentionally stared at the little boy who was too busy biting his lips in axiety and guilt. Little puppy huh? "Baekie! Why didn't you tell Senpai?"

Baekhyun looked up, "I am fine."

"Baekie!"

"Senpai, I am really alright. I- Senpai, are you hungry?"

Chanyeol was took off guard and Baekhyun's stomach rumbled. Chanyeol nodded,stifling his own smile as Baekhyun pinked, looking away, nose high in the air. 

.

.

.

"Baekhyun, do you want to continue to study in school?" Baekhyun would never forget how serious Chanyeol looked as the cold eyes pierced through his soul, the hands on his shoulders weighing like a thousand rocks. 

"Senpai?" Baekhyun squeaked, his nose red from the cold weather. His mouth hung opened as Chanyeol leaned in, breath against his ear. "Tell me."

"Yes." Baekhyun blurted out and he regretted immediately. He was slowly pulled into a warm embrace. Baekhyun's mind was in a shutdown as he continued, "But I have no money."

"Shush. Let me hold you."

...

.

.

.

"I heard Byun Baekhyun betrayed himself to get the scholarship."

"I heard about that too. I heard Chanyeol senpai is supposed to get the scholarship but the professor gave it to Baekhyun later on."

"Professor Choi, right? He is a big lecher! He remarried four times!"

"Hmph. I feel so indignant for Chanyeol senpai! He always treated Baekhyun so well. No wonder he stopped hanging out with Baekhyun."

"Poor senpai! Oh my god, I would have punched Baekhyun if I were senpai! "

Baekhyun sunk himself into his books, nose sniffling and eyes watery. He bit on the inside of his cheeks to pretend any sounds from escaping from his mouth. Rumors were flying everywhere and everyone scorned him. No one wanted to work with him in the university and once the professor grouped him with the other people, the others would deliberately leave him out of their discussions. It was his third time getting a D grade already. The first time he had gotten a D grade, his mind was blown and he realised how crumpled his world had been since. Despite how hardworking he was, no one acknowledged him and left him to his own devices. He never knew what made him receive a call from Professor Choi the very next day he went out to have a dinner with Chanyeol. He himself was not sure why he got that scholarship too. And Chanyeol- Chanyeol, that devil suddenly ignored him. He called Chanyeol once he received the news but the latter did not pick up. He told Jongdae too. Jongdae was delighted and they celebrated together but once the rumors were spreading like wildfire, even Jongdae started to doubt him. He even asked Baekhyun about it but when Baekhyun expressed his own confusion, Jongdae's face was drained of blood. It was a look of distrust. Their friendship was dwindling. 

And true enough, Jongdae kept his distance.

Baekhyun gripped on the sides of his booklet, shoulders moving up and down as he weeped. He was not used to crying but the confusion, the distrust and the utter ignorance got the best of him. He had lived his life in pure knowledge. He was never a social animal but he observed things faster than anyone. He could detect every motive and intention as well as feelings but his hindsight failed him then. Ever since he met Chanyeol, to be precise. The entire long table was empty. No one wanted to sit with him.

"Is Chanyeol senpai!"

"We should give up our seats. Or else he would have to sit with Baekhyun!"

...

Baekhyun quickly packed his bag and ran out of the library. He did not look back when his keychain fell on the ground. He never needed it anyway. He was confused as to whether the keychain had any meaning at all now or even then. He never knew if he was even considered a friend to Chanyeol. So why keep a friendship item gifted by that someone. He was out of sight faster than ever. 

A familiar calloused hand picked up the keychain.

"Oh my god. Isn't this your friendship item? Baekhyun is seriously-" the lanky follower raised his voice and the whole libraray was muffled with whispers.

His forefinger scratched the little puppy's head(it was soft toy keychain). He squeezed the little body and an automated voice was heard.

"woof woof."

Chanyeol looked down at the keychain. Unlike his which was long hidden in some corner of his bag, Baekhyun's one was proetcted well with no dust and dirt on it. He tightened his hold on the keychain. He felt something stinging in his nose and unexpectedly, his free hand travelled up to his cheek. Something watery sizzled in his hand. It was hot.

He gasped silently.

"Since when did I-" his bass deep voice echoed his feelings as he whispered under his breath.

The school's social platform was now burning with messages.

THNKS to BAEKHYUN, Chanyeolsenpai is crying! omfg my heart hurts seeing him cry!

i hate that shortie! chanyeol senpai fighting!

senpai cries cries. don't cry or i cry wif u.

.

.

.

Baekhyun got the word that Chanyeol cried soon enough and he grew more confused. He was lost. Did it mean that Chanyeol really treasured him as a friend? Then what made Chanyeol distanced again? He fisted his blanket. He was now running a fever from dashing back to his apartment from the library when it was raining.

"i must get it right." Baekhyun nodded to himself. He would find Professor Choi then. He picked up his bag and left the house.

.

.

.

"Where are you going?" Jongdae spotted him waiting outside the staff room.

He muttered something about to getting it right, looking determined and Jongdae looked at him, astonished but nodded. The doors closed beind Baekhyun but what made Jongdae's eyes widened was the ugly lecherous smile Professor Choi was sporting as he closed the doors. Jongdae's heart was pumping anxiously. He panicked further and he could only thought of Chanyeol that moment then, causing him to dial for that senpai.

.

.

.

"Nice to see you. How is your school life going about?" Professor Choi asked sweetly and Baekhyun wanted to wipe the sickening smile off that old man's face.

"Arh- I heard that you are not doing that well." Professor Choi smirked and leaned in. Baekhyun quickly leaned away.  "Next year, you might not get the scholarship."

Baekhyun's angry face made the old Choi chuckle. "Bribery with money would not work the next time."

Baekhyun looked at Choi intently as he mind scanned the information intensely. Scholarship? Bribery?

"That time, your little boyfriend paid for your scholarship. Now, I heard that you two are not on good terms anymore. How about another payment method for next year?"

Baekhyun stiffened as he blurted out, "What do you mean?"

Choi rolled his eyes as he reached out to grab Baekhyun's slender wrist.

"Park Chanyeol. You lost that goldmine but you still have your looks."

!!!

Baekhyun's eyes widened, breath grew harsher. His fever was not helping at all. Choi was moving his hands fast and Baekhyun tried his best to dodge but his fever was hindering with his swiftness. Old but fit, Choi gained the upperhand and restrained Baekhyun .

"Let go! How did you even become a professor?"

"Credentials!" Choi laughed and whispered against Baekhyun's lips, "I bribed someone too. Park Family actually."

Baekhyun's mind was in a whirlwind. His tear glands were put to use soon after as he struggled. Before he knew it, Choi was almost pressing against his lips.

The next second was even more dramatic, with Chanyeol barging in, shoving the old man off Baekhyun. Baekhyun was shivering and Jongdae quickly rushed over to embrace his friend tightly. Chanyeol grabbed Choi by the collar as he scoffed at the old man.

"You won't be sitting here tomorrow." Chanyeol flashed a brief ugly smirk. "Do you want me to do that or do you want to do it yourself?"

"I would tell the school of your bribery!" 

"Likewise." Chanyeol lifted the man higher up and the man choked. Choi qucikly spoke up, "I will do it myself!"

"Good." Chanyeol muttered out and released the man. Jongdae glared at Choi then Chanyeol, face filled with disgust.

Jongdae pointed at Chanyeol accusingly with Baekhyun tugged behind me when they arrived at a safe area in the campus. "You did it purposely! You bribed the teacher instead of offering direct help when you have the capability to do so! Baekhyun always told me about how confused he was about whether you are a friend or foe and I never believed him! Now that I know why- you hate Baekhyun, don't you? Whih is why you gave your scholarship to Baekhyun beacuase you know it will raise suspicions of bribery! And you know that he had no money so he must have appeared to betrayed his own body! I admit that you have really good traps laid out huh. "

Baekhyun was not crying anymore, instead he froze at his position as he watched Jongdae lashing out on Chanyeol. He felt as if his heart was squeezed and twisted into a knot. Everything was speedy and hurtful. He was right all along about Chanyeol but he could not help to fall for Chanyeol  bit by bit. Everytime Chanyeol was there, he could sense deceitful smiles and too cheery attitude but he did not expect the ehart attacks which came along with the frequent warm smiles and bear hugs that seem too real to be fake. However he was utterly wrong.

"You played Baekhyun! The girls! you knew of the threat messages, right?"

Baekhyun was tired and he felt limbless. Unlike Jongdae who was boiling with energy from the realisation, he felt so drained and exhausted. He could not take it anymore. His tears were dried up, he could not even bring himself to cry because he still was a lost puppy which finally realised his master's plan was all along a trap, his plan was always to get rid of him by crushing him.

He let out a sigh, making Chanyeol look up abruptly. Baekhyun looked at him, head hanging low as he thanked Chanyeol, "For the scholarship- thank you. I am done with you, Chanyeol."

"Where are you going?" Jongdae shouted after him as Baekhyun walked away.

.

.

.

"If I tell you now, I want Baekhyun back, would you help me?"

"Stop it. Park What do you want now? Do you know how hard life had been on Baekhyun?"

"Just answer me."

"Senpai, you should ask me a different question. you should ask me if you tell me now that you want Baekhyun, would i even believe you!"

There was a long pause.

"Would you, Jongdae?"

"No. And Baekhyun won't too."

...

"I don't get you. What do you want, senpai?"

"I don't know too. I just want him back now."

.

.

.

Baekhyun was gone from campus the next day. He changed his address and only Jongdae knew where he went. And this drove Chanyeol nuts. He was a cool and nice guy with a warm heart but presumably, his impression in the eyes of others morphed from the day he could never locate Baekhyun anymore. He was low-spirited most of the time, still bothering to flash a few hyprocritical smiles here and there but later went back to his hermit or was swtiching on his radar 24/7 for the certain Byun Baekhyun. His only clue was Jongdae who was still there in school but the boy was tougher than he thought.He waited for a month for his private investigator to contact him about Baekhyun. 

"Jeju. Mr Park, he is in Jeju. He is there for his mother. I heard his mother opened up a little crafting shop there to earn money for his younger brother's overseas college trip.His father is still in Seoul with his mother. So Mr Byun Baekhyun went over to take care it." the investigator showed him the photographs of Baekhyun conversing with tourists. "He is pretty witty and clever. He managed to collaborate with a few stores to boost sales. The earnings look promising too. If he had money to run hihs own company, he would do really well."

Chanyeol smiled at the comment. Baekhyun was always clever. He was a perfect Business Major. 

"This is your fee."

"thank you."

"Hello? Dad? Can I go Jeju? I need to find someone." Chanyeol called his father right then.

.

.

.

"Seventeen thousand won." Baekhyun handed him the puppy figurine without any emotion, practised smile hanging on the face sternly.

Chanyeol took the puppy and placed it right beside Baekhyun, "Looks like you, Baek."

Despite the sincere grin, Baekhyun kept his guard up and nodded courtesly, "Thank you. But I don't prefer to be a dog. Thank you for the compliment though."

"7pm at the beach. I would prepare a dinner picnic." Baekhyun stiffened and looked away while Chanyeol smiled. He broke out of his facade and glared at Chanyeol. "Senpai. What do you want?"

Chanyeol said nothing as he ruffled Baekhyun's hair.

.

.

.

Baekhyun did not come. Chanyeol shivered as the winter sea wind blew. He remembered that Baekhyun liked the beach a lot but he said a trip to the beach was expensive. He shifted and wrapped himself with his jacket, shivering. He had to wait. He would wait.

.

.

.

When Chanyeol woke up, he was in a bed and a room he was unfamilliar with. There was a cold pad on his forehead and someone was snuggling beside him, providing him warmth as the old heater was switched on to its maximum yet failing still. He looked down to see Baekhyun sleeping soundly and peacefully while his arm wrapped tightly around him.

Baekhyun stirred when a kiss was lightly placed on his cheek. "What are you doing? Do you know you are running a fever?"

"Baek. I-"

"Don't hug me! Do you want to spread your illness to me?" 

Baekhyun pulled away from Chanyeol, getting out of the bed. He stared at Chanyeol hard while Chanyeol was left, looking hurt and pained. Baekhyun frowned. He reached out one of his hands soon enough and Chanyeol gripped onto it as a leverage to get out of the sunken bed. Baekhyun threw him an old-looking winter jacket that coould barely covered Chanyeol's belly. There was a still pause after that as Baekhyun shuffled around in the small space, setting up his own meal.

Chanyeol watched, contented as Baekhyun pouted at the sight of cucumber sushi in the bento Chanyeol prepared for picnic yesterday. Baekhyun turned to meet Chanyeol's eyes and angered, he poured the entire section of cucumber sushi into the dustbin before dusting his hands. 

"Baek. Let's go back to the campus."

Baekhyun's deft fingers stopped in the air and the sound of sizzling omelette was the only noise heard after that sole sentence.

There was no response. Baekhyun's fingers moved again, this time furious and angered.

Chanyeol shifted behind him, hugged him so tightly to a point Baekhyun stepped on his feet as a warning.

"Go away.. What do you want?" Baekhyun switched off the stove and turned back, hands on top of Chanyeol's hest, pushing him away. Chanyeol's eyes grew large and innocent and Baekhyun hated the look in his eyes- it made him as if he was the one at fault and reminded him how good an actor Chanyeol could be to a point he believed everything he said wihtout knowing he fell deep into a pithole with thre rest of the blinded girls. He hated to be categorised with blinded human beings like that burly senior, Kangin or the supid girls who loved to find fault in anything he did.

Chanyeol smiled sadly and shook his head, "I don't know."

Baekhyun was mad. What he wanted was a reply ,or more accurately a confession so as to chuck his sleepless nights away from then on. He was already confused to a degree and intensity that every word Chanyeol muttered out, seemed like a blurred truth that made him panicked for it might be a lie- a lie that plunged him into the human world with a reputation of an outcast, a nobody-would-want-to-see boy. And there the culprit was, smiling sadly as if he was the one who started the whole fiaso.His fist clenched hard by his sides as he looked away, chuckling sarastically.

"Then tell me when you know."

"Baek." Chanyeol tugged his sleeve. "I am scared that I would know."

Baekhyun flared up and threw a punch on Chanyeol's face. "Let me tell you what you know then! You know that you wanted get close to a boy named Baekhyun whoo wnated nothing to do with you at first and you enjoyed the whole world perceiving the two of you as great buddies with you being the kind senpai and the boy being a lucky hoobae then you successfully enjoy your evils with watching that poor boy suffer from the hoard of admirers and jealous threats. Later, or ultimately you reached your goal by lying and convincing Baekhyun that you might be a friend, and you made him feel awesome everything you complimented him on something or publicly show him off in front of his admirers, calling him 'my little baek dongsaeng.'"

Baekhyun was mad so he figured out that was why the tears were sprouting out of his eyes at the moment. He refused to acknowledge the squeeze in his heart and the pained thining of lips appearing on the liar's face. He should have been done with Park Chanyeol the moment he left the campus, his hear should have died with the revelation the moment Chanyeol did not bother to lie a sweet lie anymore.

"So-" he choked on his tears, whimpering unintended, "you decide hey, it is the perfect time to ruin him.You did a seires of things I would have only watcched in dramas and left him to rot then decide to torment him in rumors and guilt. ANd finished off with a hey, i been lying to you since day one- confession."

"And now, you are back to make me all guilty and panicky again." Baekhyun broke down enitrely, voice shaky. "Do you even know how much effort I have to go through to get that fee for school? Do you know I have to work till my hands are too achy for piano?"

Chanyeol was rednered speechless. He had planned the apology perfectly and knew every little actions he should put in to convince Baekhyun to be back by his side again. He would stare at Baekhyun with pained eyes and pull  out their friendship item and raised his voice emotionally a Baekhyun. He would do that to make Baekhyun believe. He had orchestrated the whole scenario in his mind. Ye once again, Byun Baekhyun, that little bastard went off track again and he was back to square one, helpless as to how to approach this boy again. 

He felt like he was put into the first day they met with that boy across him, panting on the road, looking all panicky yet cute at the doors, turning back to stare at him curiously. He had intended to skip the gathering but had walked in because he secretly hoped the boy was there for the gathering- he wanted to see the boy's eyes shining in curiousity then grow confused and lost before shrugging off coolly again and he wanted the boy to look at him again. He desired to be the centre of his sight.

Then everything spiralled downwards, out of control. That woman came along and Baekhyun noticed her and him together. He was desperate in trying to get the woman off but he wanted to be polite and he wanted to appear perfect in front of Baekhyun. So he orchestrated the little drama at the store and Baekhyun- he failed his expectations by seeing through him. He felt exposed and disliked by the very boy he wanted to get close to. 

Baekhyun looked at him as if he was scheming and deceitful. He admitted he was hyprocitical and wanted to look best in front of everyone, thus adhering to the rules and norms of a good person even though he hated it and deep down, his personality was distorted in compariosn to the exterior self. He was supposed to charm his way through to Baekhyun. In the end, all he gotten was a cold look by the said boy in the washroom as though he was disgusted by his real personality.

Chanyeol was beyond frustated that time, to him, Baekhyun would never understand his woes. That girl was practically throwing herself at him and without that false move he would never get out the situation without tarnishing his reputation and image. Who was Baekhyun to judge him and evaluate him? Nothing about his etheral looks and pure al clueslessness of his cute nature could gain Baekhyun the right to. And he admitted he plotted a plan.

It wasn't a smooth plan. Baekhyun was hard to gain trust. But what really made it a hard to implement scheme was how Baekhyun could easily overturn his heart everytime Chanyeol forgot about his desire to remain his image and let his real sarcastic personality out becuase Baekhyun would look delighted and would flash that eye smile and squarish grin at his true un-tarnished laughters and grins.

It was when he made unplanned snarky comments that mirrored his real heart and intentions like , "you look like an elf but hah, quite cute in that oversized ahjumma pyjamas." that Baekhyun would hit him on the head while being absolutely natural and playful, insulting him back , relaxed. It had certainly defeated any other uncomfortable' 'thank you' Baekhyun would give when he gave his plotted compliments like, "you look beautiful in anything, my little Baek."

When he realised he was falling, Chanyeol was afraid.

He was supposed to turn Baekhyun's world upside down.Baekhyun was supposed to hate hi but then tricked and he was supoosed to take revenge. Supposed to. He was supposed to not fall in love with the boy.

So he quickened his plan. He forgone the intial plan to coax Baekhyun to date him because he was the one whwould be at the losing end ultimately and he twerked it to a plan which tarnished Baekhyun's studies. And he would live his life then wihtout Baekhyun. Every step was walked a perfect.

...yet it did not feel perfect at all.

.

.

.

"Baek. Don't cry." his hand went up to the boy's cheeks. Baekhyun struggled slightly but gave up when Chanyeol gently held his face in his hands.

He was afraid of losing Baekhyun. He knew it all along but he was scared to face it.

"I..." Chanyeol breathed in and shut down his barriers, "All of my friends like me for I am the heir and the good guy. I am not supposed to get mad with the annoying girls who clung onto me because I am portrayed kind. I am not supposed to be unruly because I needed to appear gentle.But I am not kind and gentle because I want to scream and shout too- be it, at the girls or when I am excited or just anything else worth to scream and shout for."

Baekhyun stopped crying and watched as hanyeol breathed in heavily as he spoke.

"There is- this balance I wanteed so I have to pretend. I have to plot plans so that everyone is to like me. They won't feel disgusted at me. Then you appeared, you saw through me and made sure to be so disgusted that I felt threatened and exposed because I am not a good man like my plans made me be."

Chanyeol sniffed, nose red. His cold was burning him up and his rationality had gone to drain. Baekhyun was stunned for a moment because all the while, his senpai was calm and hard to tell. Right now, he was vulnerable and exposed, shivering under Baekhyun's awaiting verdict with that little string of courage he held onto.

"But then I want you now. You can be dsigusted at my hyprocitical ways but just laugh with me when I am sincere because you are the only person I know would do that to me. You would like me for who I am." Chanyeol blurted out, tears runnigndown his own heeks with his bass voice sounding like a broken child. "Just don't leave me alone."

"it's okay, you don't need to love me like how others do. I would love you myself, just don't look at me, disgusted because I really like you."

Baekhyn stepped forward and wrapped his arms around that huge giant. Hie felt motherly and the past feelings he surpressed drowned him and he secretly loved the confession. It did mind that Chanyeol was still a hyprocritical being because Chanyeol is honest with him. And he liked him for who Chanyeol was.

"i like you." he whispered. "Really."

He could sense the uncertainity in Chanyeol's body movements.and replied gently, "For who you are."

.

.

.

"What? Do you mean that Byun Baekhyun aced the examinations despite missing almost a semester?"

"Must be Park Senpai's help!"

"He is so kind. If I were Senpai, I would not even help Baekhyun." the two girls gossiped.

Chanyeol stood in front of them moents later after eavesdroping with a frantic Baekhyun behind him, trying to pull that tall and heavyvman away to no avail.

"Chanyeol, we can just go."

"No, I need to make this clear."

Baekhyun pulled Chanyeol's bad handle harder. In response to his actions, Chanyeol pulled Baekhyun into his embrace and kissed him passionately. Baekhyun received the kiss in a daze, panting after Chanyeol broke away.

"Please not say anything bad about my boyfriend. He don't deserve the hate." Chanyeol paused and smirked at Baekhyun teasingly , "And he is my little boyfriend, so hands off!"

Baekhyun was left there, red.

.

.

.

"Why did you say all these mushy yucky stuff? See! Jongdae uploaded a video! Hey!"

"Ouch! Baekhyun, I love you!"

"Shut up. I know. You shouldn't say all these like urgh."

"Ouch! Ouch! But Baek-!"

"Don't baek me!"

"OWWW! Don't bite anymore!!!"