Part II

The Light in My Shadows (One-Shot)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Wrapping up after a morning to noon shift, you strolled towards your office, this time purposely taking the same detour to walk by a certain someone’s office, the same way you had met for the first time. There was a slight skip in your step, something you would have never imagined yourself doing. But here you were, anticipation filing your chest whilst poking your head through the door to catch sight of Dr. Min Yoongi having a nap on his chair.

 

Typical. Of course he would fall asleep when you guys had made plans to meet up as colleagues for lunch. Shaking your head, you found yourself holding back a chortle as his jaw fell open with each breath he took. It was scary to think how much his presence in your life has impacted on your lifestyle and mindset. You felt like you were finding your purpose again. His endless passion and dedication was a constant reminder of why you fell in love with your profession in the first place.  

 

Cupping your hands around your mouth, you yelled “Min Yoongi, wake up you jerk!” Then you bolted out the door.

 

A crash was heard followed by a light thump before Yoongi stumbled out into the hallway, squinting from the bright glow of the sun, and equipped with hair that had yet to discover gravity.

 

Unable to hold it anymore, you snickered, earning yourself a half-hearted glare from the other. “If you were going for that vampire-grandpa look, I think you really nailed it.” You managed to say before falling into another round of snickers, a hand over your mouth.

 

“Ha. ha.” He mocked dryly, voice rough with sleep. “I’m glad you find joy in my misery.”

Messing up his hair for your own personal enjoyment, you tugged his arm, ignored his protesting, and began dragging him to the staff cafeteria.


 

Smiles and nods were exchanged between the rookie staff members who had now deemed you more approachable these days without you even noticing. Anyone who had known you from the day you reached the top would have been able to point out the change in your character. From aloof assertiveness to a bit of an open-book dreamer, your persona from the day you started was beginning to shine through once again.

Settling down with your orders, you rested your arms on the table below your tray. Yoongi carefully inspected a french fry before lazily popping it into his mouth, one elbow leaning on the table.

“I wanted to ask you something.” You broke the silence, fiddling with your chopsticks.

 

His eyes flickered up to you as he nodded, a sign for you to continue.

“Why did you ignore me that day when I was trying to be respectful on our first meeting?” You blurted in one breath; not even sure if he understood or not.

Yoongi paused his chewing, confusion splayed across his features. “Didn’t we meet at that emergency surgery?”

You gave him an incredulous look. “No! The first time I walked past your office and you came out with that mask and then completely brushed past me.”

You watched him exasperated as he squinted, a faraway look in his eyes as he tried to recall the memory. Suddenly his eyes opened the widest you’ve ever seen them before he stopped eating.

“That was you?” He blinked.

“Yes. Yes it was.” You deadpanned.

That was when he let out a sheepish chuckle and rubbed the back of his neck. “To be honest, I barely remember because I think I was asleep at the time.”

This time you blinked. Once. Twice. Then you exploded, “You can’t sleep while standing up!”

"Actually I can. I have this thing where I can sleep whenever and wherever when I’m tired.” He looked so serious you began to grow confused. “I apologise if my sleeping condition offended you.”

You stared at him, finding the whole situation ridiculous as you tried to process this problem you hadn’t heard of before. Then you caught the mischievous glint in his eyes and you knew.

The two of you burst into laughter simultaneously. Yours, a cross between a laugh and an exasperated sigh, unable to stay mad at him while he was thoroughly amused by your reactions, unable to continue his great joke.

 

Idiot. Your mind echoed as you picked up a piece of sushi and shoved it into his mouth. “That’s what you get!” You said between chuckles as he coughed.

A second later, long slim fingers flicked your nose as you scrunched up your face in a wince. You opened your eyes to shoot him with a look and was greeted by Yoongi sprouting a thoughtful expression.

He cleared his throat, “To be honest I panicked when I saw you… I felt threatened like wow, I gotta keep my cool in front of someone so important to this facility." His eyes were so sincere you couldn't bare to mock him or look away. “But also, I probably was half-asleep.”

 

And there he goes again.

 

“Grandpa.” You poked your food.

His eyes shone with mirth. “Yet, you’re still here.”

“A fine point.”

 

~~~

 

A few months had passed and the two of you had garnered a new reputation together, often being paired for operations and people automatically assumed you’d be found together. The golden couple, they called it. But things had changed drastically when one of you suddenly decided to make some major changes in life.

Dr. Min Yoongi rolled up the sleeves of his striped dress shirt, reaching for the stethoscope hanging around his neck as he bent down to meet eyes with the child looking up at him. Adjusting his glasses at the tip of his nose, he grinned at the kid.

Please log in to read the full chapter