Part I

The Light in My Shadows (One-Shot)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Your apprentices praised you continuously as they finished their tasks for the day; a tired but satisfied flush coating their cheeks. Genuine admiration for you filled their eyes as the fascination of beginning a dream job clouded their thoughts. Fighting through your fatigue, you gave a grateful smile. You were just like them once.

Chatter filled the hallway as the new staff additions to the hospital hustled out, eager to discuss over a late dinner who would end up becoming the top doctor or who would connect with the most patients. The quiet atmosphere within the building resumed as the clock struck 8 o'clock; with only the senior staff members remaining during the night. Finishing your progress reports, you tucked your clipboard against your chest as you made your way back to your section of the hospital. The emergency department.

The peace was disrupted as blurs of white and blue flashed about, several voices overlapping as commands were made. You had grown immune to the desperate chaos ensuing at any given hour but on this particular day, the closest path to your office had been blocked by a group of patients on wheels all gathered around one lift. Had the other faulty lift not been fixed yet? Nurses who caught your eye bowed respectfully as you passed by, deciding that you would rather not try and squeeze through stretchers and step over ligaments.

Slightly peeved at the unforeseeable turn of events, you took a longer route, wanting nothing more than to sink into your comfy chair for a few minutes. As you turned the corner, an unfamiliar figure stepped out of an operation room; blonde hair seeming to illuminate the corridor and a black surgical mask still in place. Your eyes met and just from a single glance, you knew he was a highly experienced doctor. Perhaps even as good as yourself. You lowered your head about to bow when his blank eyes swept over you once before he brushed past you. Your brow furrowed as you faltered mid-step.

How rude.

 

~~~

 

Somehow after that fateful encounter you had been catching glimpses of his blonde hair regularly much to your dismay. Why your paths crossed that night was beyond you but now as you prepared for an operation you knew you had gained a worthy rival. Someone who could potentially overthrow your position as one of the top doctors in this hospital. He couldn't have been much older than you but there had been gossip that this lanky man had been performing six hour surgeries without so much as breaking a sweat. Shifting your attention to the task at hand, personal thoughts evaporated from your mind as you snapped your gloves on.

"Report."

"Fractured ribs with mild internal bleeding." Your assistant replied; voice muffled behind the mask.

You nodded. "Prepare the anaesthetic."

Everything was silent save for the rhythmic beeps of the machine and the clinks of the surgical tools. Swiftly you began to work, professionalism reflected through your graceful movements as your brows pinched in concentration.

Hours later, you finished the final stitches with a light exhale. Sometimes you felt as if you've aged 10 years after each surgery from the amount of pressure falling on your shoulders, adding to the literal ache in the muscles. Your assistant nurses hurried about cleaning up and tending to the still unconscious patient. After scribbling down reports and status updates, you removed the surgeon gear and slipped your white coat back on. Stepping out into the hallway, you smoothed out your hair and managed to take a breath of air purifier before the alarms blared, signalling that a new patient had arrived and now required emergency surgery. It didn't seem to give you the feelings of thrill or adrenaline anymore.

Loud yells interrupted your thoughts as a stretcher was rolled into view followed by a flurry of nurses and ambulance workers. You made way for them, just about to leave for a quick, late afternoon lunch. The stretcher disappeared behind double doors and as you took a step away, a nurse appeared in front of you, clearly out of breath.

"We're going to need you here doctor!" The clear panic within her eyes betrayed the calm way she held herself as she ushered you into the preparation room.

"The patient?" You enquired once inside, throwing on a mask and disposable gloves.

"A brain aneurysm." It wasn't the nurse who answered. "Patient showing early signs of a ; the swelling in the brain needs to be treated before a vessel bursts."

Startled at the new voice, but also subconsciously taking note at its husky tone, you spun around and came face to face with the last person you wanted to see, with that same black mask in place.

Your eyes narrowed, "You--"

The door to the operation room flung open, "Dr. Min, we're ready for you."

It was then when you realised that you still didn't know his name. The anaesthesiologist disappeared just as quickly as he came, leaving the both of you alone again.

"I need you to assist me as 2nd surgeon today." His once apathetic eyes held a hint of sincerity as he explained the procedure. "It's going to be a long and gruelling operation."

You mentally scoffed, "You don't need to tell me things I already know." You never did imagine yourself as one to easily be belittled, so you continued. "You're not the only experienced doctor here."

He silently studied you for a second, as if sensing and choosing to prolong your building irritation. Then he nodded and headed into the operating room, fixing you with a look as if to say 'hurry up.' If the situation wasn't so dire you would've been tempted to make faces behind his back. With a sigh, you followed him in. <

Please log in to read the full chapter