Chapter 2

Ghost Girl

They sat on the floor at opposite ends of Hoseok’s coffee table. He had a cup of coffee in his hands in an attempt to warm himself up. She looked around the modest apartment. He cleared his throat, “Sorry about the mess. I wasn’t expecting company.” He said giving her an embarrassed look. She shook her head. “It’s fine. Do you live here alone?” she asked. He took a sip of coffee. “I used to live here with my girlfriend, but we broke up a few months ago.”

 

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have pried.” She said, cursing herself for making him think of bad memories. He waved off her apology. “It was the best thing to do. We weren’t working out. Anyway…” he cleared his throat. “I’m still trying to process what’s happening here. I was just on my way home and I met a ghost.” He let out a laugh. “No matter how I think about it, it sounds crazy.”

 

She replied with a weak laugh, “Imagine how I feel.” She let out a sigh as her gaze wandered to the window and the view beyond. “The first thing I can remember is standing at the train platform. It was quiet. So quiet…” Hoseok leaned in a little closer, intrigued by her words. “A couple appeared on the platform. They were wrapped up in scarves and winter jackets and I noticed I was in this dress.” She said as she indicated her clothing. “I remember wondering why I wasn’t cold when it was obviously freezing outside. I asked the couple what time it was and they completely ignored me.” She wrapped her arms around her waist, as if she was subconsciously protecting herself from the memory.

 

“I went up right in front of them and asked them again but they ignored me again. I got really pissed and started waving my hand in their faces but obviously they couldn’t see or hear me. I just couldn’t work it out. Eventually their train came and they left.” She let out a sigh. “I’ve tried to communicate with so many people but no one has ever heard or seen me… until you.” She said, her brown eyes meeting his. “But how can I see you when no one else can?” he wondered aloud. She shrugged her shoulders. “Your guess is as good as mine. No one explained anything to me.”

 

Hoseok ruffled his hair in frustration. “Do you know how long you’ve been like this?” he asked. “I don’t think it’s been too long but I can’t tell you exactly. I don’t have a ghost calendar to count the days.” She said with a small smile which Hoseok returned. “So since you’re a ghost you can walk through walls and things like that, right?” he asked, his curiosity getting the better of him. She grinned and nodded. “Yeah, I can move through walls and objects. People as well.”

 

Hoseok paled, “You can’t… possess me or anything… can you?” she laughed loudly. “No. Not that I haven’t tried.” Hoseok’s jaw dropped. “Don’t worry, I’m not gonna try. Even when I did try I just passed through the person and they shivered like they were cold.” Hoseok felt his curiosity flare up again. “So, you definitely can’t possess me?” he asked warily. She rolled her eyes. “No, I can’t possess you.”

 

“And if I were to touch you… I wouldn’t feel anything?” he asked. She shook her head. “I don’t think so. I’ve tried touching people but no one has noticed.” Hoseok once again noticed the sad look in her eyes. He adjusted his position so that he was a little closer to her. “Could I try?” he asked hesitantly. She stared at him for a moment, as if trying to work out his intentions before giving him a small smile. She held up her hand, her palm facing him.

 

He rubbed his sweaty hands on his thighs before holding his hand up in front of hers. He slowly moved his hand closer to hers until it eventually passed through. He let out a breath he didn’t realise he had been holding. “It’s strange, my hand feels a little cold. Like a draft of cold air hit it.” He wiggled his fingers for a few seconds before pulling his hand back. “Sorry.” She shook her head as she dropped her hand. “It’s alright. I’m still curious about everything as well.”

 

“Can you do anything else?” he asked. She nodded. “I’ve been able to move things without touching them.” His jaw dropped, “Really?” she nodded once again, her excitement matching his. “Yeah. Only small things but I’ve been practicing and I’m getting better. Watch.” She concentrated on his coffee cup and it lifted a foot into the air. Hoseok let out an impressed sound. “That’s amazing!” he said as he turned to face her. She smiled at him and the cup fell. Hoseok scrambled to catch it before it hit the table.

 

“Sorry! Sorry! If I lose concentration then that happens.” She said as she bit her bottom lip. “It’s alright. No harm done.” He looked at her, an impressed look in his eyes. “That was seriously cool.” She grinned back at him. “The first time I done it, it was by accident. I knocked over someone’s coffee at a coffee shop.”

 

“So can you go anywhere you want?” he asked. “Yeah, I’ve been going around the city to see if I can remember anything about my life. I sometimes see something and I get a flash of a memory. When I saw a cat I got a flash of a little ginger kitten. When I saw a girl taking photos in the park I got a flash of a camera. But the flashes only last a second. I never see a name or anywhere I recognise. The only place I’ve been to that feels familiar is that train station. For some reason, I end up there all the time.”

 

“Do you think you used that station before you… you know…” Hoseok fumbled over his words. Somehow using the words ‘died’ or ‘dead’ didn’t feel right. Maybe it was because she was sitting in front of him in full colour. Her chest was still moving like she was breathing and she seemed so full of life. He just couldn’t bear to use those words. “Maybe. It’s the only explanation I’ve been able to come up with.” Hoseok nodded as he tried to take everything in. He yawned loudly and apologised to her. “Sorry, it’s been a long day.” He said. “You should sleep.” She said as she got to her feet. “This is probably a stupid question, but do ghosts sleep?” she shook her head. “No. I guess because I don’t have a body I don’t need to rest.”

 

Hoseok got to his feet. “Well, you’re more than welcome to stay here. Although I’m not sure how you’d feel about that. If you want to leave and come back here, my door is always open. Well, not that you need the door since you're a ghost but what I mean is… Aish.” She giggled at him. “Thank you Hoseok. I really appreciate your offer.” He looked at her, his cheeks tinted with a small blush.

 

“I’ll go now. I don’t want you to be uncomfortable in your own home.” She said as she stepped towards his balcony. “You don’t have to go.” He said as he stopped himself from reaching out for her hand to pull her back. She looked him then back to the dark night outside. “I have to admit, it has been nice to finally talk to someone…”

 

“Then it’s settled. Don’t go.” He said giving her a warm smile. She hesitated for a moment before returning his smile. “Ok.” His warm smile became a grin. “Right. I’m going to get some sleep. I’ll see you in the morning. Feel free to wander the house. Just please don’t sneak up on me when I’m sleeping.” He said jokingly. “If I still had my body I would punch you.” She said with a laugh. They exchanged goodnights before Hoseok went into his bedroom.

 

She sighed and flopped down on to the floor. She noticed that he had left the light on for her. She concentrated on the light switch and turned the lights off. She looked at his closed bedroom door and couldn’t fight the smile that appeared on her face. “Thank you Hoseok.” She whispered.