Chapter 1

Ghost Girl

Hoseok was alone in the station. He sighed loudly, rolling his shoulders to relieve his tired muscles. He looked around, waiting for the last train to arrive. He double checked the time. Why do these trains always run late? He pulled his leather jacket tighter around his body.

 

He turned his head to the left as he heard his train approaching. He was surprised to see a girl on the opposite platform. She wasn’t there a second ago. He looked at her and was surprised to notice she was wearing a short sleeved dress, despite the cold winter weather. “What the hell…” the train suddenly appeared in front of him, blocking his view of the girl. Once the train came to a stop he jumped on and looked out of the window but the girl was nowhere to be seen.

 

As the train pulled away, he looked back but the platform was empty. For the rest of the journey home, he couldn’t shake the image of the girl from his head. I must have seen it wrong. There’s no way she could have been wearing a dress like that in this weather. She’d freeze to death. And how was she there and then not there? I must be more tired than I thought.

 

He shook off his thoughts as he made his way home. He fell into an uneasy sleep, images of the girl playing throughout his dreams.

 

He woke up the next morning his mind still focused on the girl. He couldn’t help himself, that night when he was waiting at the train station he looked for the girl. With only five minutes left until his train arrived he had almost given up. He let out a sigh, his breath forming a cloud in front of him.

 

He jumped up and down trying to keep warm and heard a chuckle from behind him. He turned around and the girl from the night before was standing behind him. She was wearing the same dress from the night before. “Aren’t you cold?” he blurted out. The girl looked behind her then back at him. “Wait, can you see me?” she asked, her expression and tone confused.

 

“Of course I can see you. You’re standing right in front of me.” She looked shocked and excited. “Oh my god. You can see me. You can actually see me!” she said, practically bouncing with excitement. Hoseok took a step away from her. “Wait, wait, please don’t be scared. I’m not a weirdo! I swear!” she said, taking a step closer towards him.

 

Hoseok’s train pulled up behind him. He glanced back at the train then back at the girl. The alarm sounded as the doors began to close. He ran to the train, squeezing through the doors as they shut. He pressed his back against the door breathing hard. “What the hell.” He glanced back at the platform, the girl once again nowhere to be seen. He slumped down onto the seat next to him, elbows on his knees as his head fell into his hands.

 

“Don’t freak out.” Hoseok jumped to his feet at the sudden voice. The girl was sitting on the seat next to his. “What… how… but you… the doors…” the girl stood up but didn’t move any closer towards him. “I’m sorry. Please don’t freak out. It’s just… I haven’t been able to talk to anyone in a long time. You’re the first person that’s been able to see me.”

 

Hoseok didn’t move. “What do you mean no one has been able to see you?” he enquired, curiosity getting the better of him. She let out a long sigh, her gaze settling on the passing scenery. “You’re not gonna believe me.” She said, Hoseok couldn’t help but notice the sad, lonely tone in her voice. “Well you managed to get in here even though I barely did so… try me.” He said as he hesitantly took a seat beside her.

 

She let out a sigh and turned to face him. “I’m a ghost.” Hoseok snorted. She glared at him, “I knew you wouldn’t believe me.” She said, her tone angry but defeated. “Come on, you have to admit, it’s pretty farfetched.” He said with a chuckle. She stood up and looked down at him. “Fine.” She took a look around, the train empty as they rushed towards the next stop.

 

She walked up to the door and glanced back at Hoseok. “What are you doing?” Hoseok asked. She stepped forward and disappeared through the door. Hoseok let out a yell as she disappeared. He jumped up and ran to the door. “What the hell just happened?”

 

“Do you believe me now?” Hoseok spun around and plastered himself against the door, the mysterious girl standing behind him. “Holy .” He breathed as the train slowed to a stop. The door slid open and he stumbled backwards. “Ok I believe you.” He stepped out of the train, the girl following him. The stood on the platform as the train pulled away. The stared at each other, both not knowing what to say.

 

“You’re really a ghost.” He finally said. She nodded. “How long have you…” he said, unable to finish his sentence. “I don’t know.” She admitted. “What’s your name?” she frowned as she tried to concentrate. “I can’t remember.” She finally said. “I can’t remember anything about myself.” Hoseok shivered in the cold air. “Can’t you feel the cold?” he asked, indicating her dress. She shook her head, “No.”

 

Hoseok let out a sigh and ruffled his hair. “Look, I’m not entirely sure what’s going on here and I’m not even sure if I believe what’s happening right now.” He paused as he gathered his thoughts. “But I do know that I’m freezing and that you obviously need help. Why don’t you come back to my place and we can try to work this out?”

 

A wide smile appeared on her face. “Really?” he nodded. “Sure. Come on.” He said as he turned and started walking. She fell in step with him. “What’s your name?” she asked. “Hoseok. You really can’t remember your name?” she shook her head. “I can’t remember anything.” Hoseok thought for a moment. “Well, I can’t just call you ghost girl I need to call you something.”

 

“Riley. Call me Riley.”