Final

High School Sweethearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So what will happen to us when high school ends?” He asked. Looking at me, wearing his heart on his sleeve, he looked so vulnerable waiting for reply. “Does that mean we have to end?” I answered with the only question that was on my mind. He took my hand and squeezed it gently. We sat there at our favourite spot, watching the sun melt into the horizon with our backs against the world.

We were so young, so naïve. Reckless and in love, little did we know where the world would take us.

An invitation to Taeyang and Hyorin’s wedding brought me back to high school days. I always knew that they would end up together. They stuck like glue ever since they were fourteen. Running around chasing each other during lunch break. They were inseparable. Young love, they say.

In the ballroom, I saw him. My high school sweetheart. He held a woman’s hand and I another man. Despite the sea of faces at the wedding, I spotted his face. He looked the same; small brown eyes, hair still scruffy but shorter now, a mole under his left eye stayed in place. He was exactly as I remembered him. Just older and bigger.

“Jiyong!” The word came out before I could stop myself. I regretted it as soon as he turned his head. Every memory from the first time we met to the last words he ever said flashed through my mind. That grin, he still had the mischievous grin. “Taeyeon.” He smiled as he pronounced easy syllable of my name. I miss his husky voice, how it used to lull me to sleep. He towered over me as he reached me. I hugged him tight, how happy I was to see him again. We stood there examining each other’s faces. I saw every wrinkle and worry carving his face. Life caught up with this happy-go-lucky man.  How long has it been since I’ve seen his face? Baekhyun cleared his throat, breaking the silence. “Hello…. We’re still here…” Baekhyun sung the words out.

“I’m sorry! Jiyong, this is Baekhyun.” I said gesturing at the man next to me. “Her date for tonight.” Baekhyun interrupted sternly as he reached out for Jiyong’s hand. Their handshake was firm, like two business men closing a deal. “This is my wife, Kiko Mizuhara.” Jiyong said with his hand placed at her lower back. My heart dropped, a news I never braced myself for. She was beautiful. She had grace and elegance, everything that he always wanted in a girl. She tucked a strand of her dark hair behind her hair and a diamond ring wrapped around her fourth finger caught my eye. It looked like his mother’s ring that used to wear.

“That’s a beautiful ring.” I said. The ring twinkled as Kiko put her hand out displaying the diamond ring’s priceless sentimental value. “Thank you Taeyeon. It was Jiyong’s mother ring. Such a beautiful rock.” She smiled politely at me. I looked at Jiyong and saw him smiling at our interaction. “So how do you know each other?” Baekhyun asked. Jiyong answered. “We went way back.” I just nodded along in agreement to the statement.

We did go way back.

“Can you imagine? A house in the suburbs. Just the two of us stranded in the middle of nowhere! Away from everywhere and anyone else! Let’s do it, Taeyeon! After high school we run away and get married at my father’s hometown!” With all the excitement in him, he took both of my hands and pulled me closer to him. He planned out our future just like that. He always had an imagination, his dreams were far too big for this small town. “Yes! We will go everywhere we wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter