Training

Stuck in Neverland

 After I ate with AJ for breakfast, he lead me to the garden for fresh air where I met Kevin. The meeting must have been over and a decision was made.

  “Ready for your first day of training? We're starting today because who knows when the seige will take place.” He asked with a sweet smile plastered on his face.

  Nope. I’m not ready at all for this! I still don’t think I’m the warrior! Hopefully they’ve mistaken me for someone else!

  “I’ll take care of everything from here AJ. Thank you.”

  He bowed and silently strode away without another glance.

  “C’mon. Let’s head to the training grounds.” Kevin held out his arms, and I took it. He lead me further into the garden, passing all the bushes and plants that obscured another path.

  We followed the path into an open field set up in stations. There were several people already training here with rag dolls. They were mainly men with a handful of women, each working with specific weapons so skillfully. It seemed they were born with that talent and the weapon was part of their body.

  “Come along,” Kevin’s voice came a couple of feet in front of me.

  I hadn’t noticed I let go of him to watch these warriors or guards. Their training looked tough. Will I be able to handle this training?

  I caught up to him as he lead me to an empty pen with a single straw dummy staked to the ground.

  “I’m teaching you defense while Eli is teaching you melee and strength.” Kevin explained.

  I noticed he left out one of his brothers. “What about Dongho?”

  “Pft! Who cares about him! He’s just going to teach you how to be a cocky bastard.”

  I giggled at his remark. “Why start with defense?”

  “Because it’s better to let your enemy attack as much as he wants till he gets tired or so you can find out his weak spots,” this time it was Dongho, popping out of no where. “Once your enemy is tired or when you found the weak spot, that’s the time you attack! Oh, and I heard what you called me.” He eyed Kevin.

  Kevin cleared his throat and hit him right afterwards. “Hey! I’m training her, not you. So shoo!”

  “Fine! I’ll just bother Eli, then.”

  “You better!”

  Dongho stuck his tongue out and so does Kevin. They truly are brothers: stubborn, has pride, and powerful.

  “Moving on,” Kevin said, facing me. “Let’s start off with stretching. Bend down!” He bent down, wrapped his hands around his ankles, and pulled himself closer to his knees.

  In truth, I’m not flexible, so when I bent down, I heard my back pop and I barely reached my toes. I raised my head, seeing Kevin observing me.

  He shook his head and walked beside me, pushing my back down. I felt the stretch mainly on my hamstrings and it burned!

  “Sheesh! You’re so unflexible!” He pushed harder, but I wouldn’t move. “Let’s try to arms.” He demonstrated by twining his fingers behind his back, bent over, and pulled his arms towards me.

  I did the same, still not reaching his flexibility.

  “We’ll keep working on that,” he stated, opening the pen. “Like Dongho said, it’s good to let your attacker attack you first until he or she gets tired or you find the weak spot, but it doesn’t always work. It’s like a 50/50 chance, depending on who it is. That’s why Eli’s coming over afterwards.”

  I nodded.

  He ran to the side, “Dongho! Could you get me wooden swords while you’re going there?” He came back. “For now, we’ll use the wooden swords for practice. As you get better, we’ll find a weapon for you.”

  I gulped at that thought. What if I can’t find a weapon that’s right for me? What if I don’t do well on my training? What if the siege happens while I’m still training? All those questions were repeating in my head until Dongho came back, carrying two wooden swords. He tossed both of them to Kevin who tossed one to me.

  “Let’s start with a pretest.” He lunged forward without a warning, his sword by his side. He first swung to the side which I perfectly blocked in panic. He continued to slice the air as my reflexes began to work. With every hit, I stumbled back until he chopped down, bringing me to the ground.

  My breath was knocked out as I hit the ground and him on top of me. We were both panting from the short ‘fight.’ My heart was speeding and it was difficult to breathe.

  He placed the ‘blade’ on my neck and grinned. “You loose.” He got off of me and held out a hand.

  I took it, and he helped me up.

  “You need to work on a lot of thing,” Dongho commented from the sidelines. “Your form was bad, you panicked too much, you didn’t have balance… I could keep going down the long list, but I won’t.”

  I glared at him. I’m glad he’s not going to train me with anything or is he? He’s so annoying and criticizing! I can’t believe he’s a prince.

  Kevin made a low growl. “Let me do my lesson by myself or else I’ll bite your head off!”

  He raised his arms in alert. “I’m sorry! Calm down! I’ll go with Eli for sure now.”

  “You better,” he grumbled.

  It was strange to see Kevin angry. I haven’t exactly seen this side of him, but his innocent face makes him seem like an angel. Anyways, I’ve only been here for at least half a day.

  When Dongho was gone, Kevin continued his lesson, “Dongho is right. You have a lot of problems going on. I just hate it when he decides it’s his turn to talk when it’s not. Come here. I’m going to help you with your form.”

  I walked up to him as he took my arms, positioning me. His touch was rough probably because he hasn’t handled delicate women like me before. But how should I know? I haven’t live here all my life.

  “You need your elbows out most of the time to keep your balance and keep a tight grip.” He placed a hand on top of mine, tight as I hold onto the wooden sword. “And your feet need to be spread apart for balance.” He kicked my foot, sliding it shoulder length apart.

  Kevin taught me other formations, guiding my body the right way. At first, I hated the fact that he held my waist once in a while, but after a while, I didn’t care.

  An hour later, I saw Eli and Dongho coming towards us.

  Kevin noticed, too and smiled. “Are you here to drop off Dongho because he’s annoying the out of you? It if is, I don’t want him back,” he teased.

  Dongho snorted from his brother’s remark and rolled his eyes. I’m guessing it’s the truth, but I’m not totally sure.

  Eli replied, seriously, “It’s my turn to train her. If you want to watch, you can. Don’t disturb me unlike someone here.” His gaze went to Dongho. He seemed to be the target for everyone. Poor little brother is getting abused so much.

  Kevin bowed in respect for the future king. “I won’t disturb you just simply watch.” He took Dongho’s arm, dragging him out, “You better shut up and let Eli do what he wants.”

  They moved to the side and sat on the fence.

  Eli picked up the wooden sword Kevin left and pointed the tip inches away from my nose. “You have a great disadvantage when it comes to offense with your short arms and legs. But, you’ll have the speed.” He dropped his sword by his side. “We’ll start off by a ten minute jog.”

  My eyes widened. “What?”

  “You need to be fit. I’ll start counting once you start jogging.”

  I groaned. This is like P.E. all over again! I hate running, but I need to do this, and Eli is a bit scary. I jogged for a while, and when my legs were getting tired, I ask, “Is the ten minutes over yet?”

  “Not yet. Seven more minutes.

  I groaned again. My legs were killing me! Wait, how is he keeping the time? Watches don’t exist in this place! “How do you know when the ten minutes are up?”

  He tapped the temple of his head. “I’m counting.”

  “You better be counting right!”

  “Sh! Don’t let him mess up on his counting or else you have to do more!” Dongho warned.

  Kevin shoved him. “Shut up! I told you not to say anything!”

  “Hey! I was about to fall!” He shoved him back.

  Again, Kevin growled for the second time today. “Don’t touch me.”

  He raised his hands again. “Okay, okay! I’ll leave you alone.” He scooted to the side.

  I laughed inside while watching them. At least I have a distraction for jogging. I only hope Eli’s not getting distracted, too. I had to check to make sure.

  He stared off into space, scaring me. Please tell me he’s still counting. I don’t want to be doing this forever!

  Just when I felt like collapsing, I heard Eli shout, “Stop!”

  I immediately stopped, feeling sweat dripping down my forehead. My body was starting to burn and my legs were throbbing. I haven’t exercise like this since freshmen year!

  “Drop down and give me ten.” Eli ordered.

  “What?”

  “Ten push-ups.”

  I blinked in confusion. Is this boot camp or what? Don’t worry Hyori it’s only for an hour. I could handle an hour quite easily.

  I obeyed and use the rest of my strength to do those ten push-ups. Once I was done, I plopped on the ground until I heard another command. This went on for quite a while and by the end, I felt dead. I lay on the grass, staring at the sky. They were exactly like home, but I know it isn’t. This place is nothing like home.

  “It’s your turn, Dongho,” Eli said, leaving the pen. “I’m not going to stay around.”

  “That’s fine.” Dongho jumpped down and bent, looking at me. “Ready for your next lesson?”

  “Can I have a break first?” I swallowed, feeling a lump in my throat. “I want water, too.”

  Dongho sighed in disappointment. “Since it’s your first day and Eli nearly killed you, I guess you can. AJ!” He shouted.

  “Yes?” AJ popped in front of us, bowing.

  “She needs water.”

  He looked at me and held out a hand.

  I reached for it, thinking it was for me, but as I came close, a glass of water appeared in my hand. I was in daze. I wonder if I’ll ever get used to magic and other strange things here.

  “Is there anything else you need, Milady?” AJ asked.

  “No.” I answered, drinking that glass in one gulp as if it was the first thing I’ve drunken in years. I drank it desperately, not caring if it dripped down my neck.

  “Is there anything you want, Master Dongho?”

  “Nope and I don’t think Kevin wants anything either. Thank you.”

  AJ does a head bow to him, then to me and disappeared right before our eyes.

  “Had enough rest?” Dongho asked, taking the glass out of my hands.

  “Yeah.” I got up and felt my knees giving in. I fell forward into his arms.

  He caught me. “Ah! Are you okay?”

  “I’m okay.” I’m just tired from Eli’s rough training. I think he really does want to kill me. He was doing it slowly and not making it obvious, so it’ll just look like an accident!

  I hadn’t realized I was still leaning against Dongho, so when he grabbed my shoulders to prop me up, I was blushing like crazy. Adding to that, I stuttered as I spoke to him, “D-Dongho. I-I’m fine. Let’s s-start.”

  “Good. We’re going to do what I love the most: breaking illusions.” He wiggled his eyebrows.

  “Illusions?”

  “Yeah. It’s a skill I learned over the years. It’s really fun and it requires deep concentration to get out of one. I’ll start off easy and make my way deeper into your mind.” He stood there with a sly smile on. Slowly, he started disappearing along with my surroundings. It was beginning to look like home. It was the streets I would walk in when I return from the store.

  I started walking forward and heard Dongho’s voice, “Remember, all this is an illusion. Concentrate and get out.”

  I closed my eyes, convincing myself this is fake. I was thinking the opposite, however. I was thinking Neverland was the illusion and I would be home the moment I open my eyes.

  It never happened.

  I opened my eyes to see Dongho, the pen, and Kevin. I’m back to reality. Does that mean I beat it? Dongho seemed disappointed.

  “You failed. You didn’t break the illusion at the right time and you closed your eyes.”

  “Then what else can I do?”

  “Don’t close them. If you close them, you’ll be vulnerable for the enemy and they’ll strike you down. Instead, find a weak spot in the illusion and attack it. The weak spot is usually the illusionist. Basically, try to find me.”

  The process repeated, but this time I was in school. It was so real. Students were passing by in the hallways. Some were talking and some were standing around.

  I followed what Dongho told me by searching for a weak spot. Instead, I spot Hoon staring at me intently. He walked towards me in long strides and came close as if ready to kiss me.

  I was mesmerized and close my eyes. The next thing I feel wasn’t his lips on mine, but someone hitting the back of my head.

  “You failed again!” Dongho exclaimed.

  I rubbed my head. This is why I think they shouldn’t have me for their warrior. I’m pretty sure they got the wrong person. I failed at doing everything they wanted me to do. “I’m sorry! I couldn’t handle it!”

  “You have too many weak spots! You have to over come them! A Shadow can get deep in your mind, so you must let go of all these things if you want to survive.”

  Let them go? I can’t let go the fact that I want to go home and see all the people I left. There’s no way I’m going to let go of my desires.

  “This is your last chance, then we’ll go back inside and rest.”

  I nodded and took a deep breath. This time I’ll break the illusion. I knew I can do it. The illusion started again and the last thing I saw is Kevin, observing us carefully and everything fell dark.

  This scenery was familiar. I knew I would see this when I blink, but I felt walls near me. It felt like they were caving in, but they didn’t move. What moved was a shadow, shifting.

 There was that sound again; the scratching of metal on stone. My heart raced, remembering my dream. I couldn’t take this. I couldn’t bring myself to search for the weak spot. I had to get out of here. I close my eyes and screamed in freight. This has to end! I wanted this to end!

  I heard a growl, followed by a thump as something hit the ground. My eyes flung open to see Dongho on the grass, trampled by a huge wolf. It’s teeth were bared, saliva dripping from the side.

  I panicked. “Dongho!”

  He remained calm. No, he was angry. “Kevin! What the hell? I’m training her!”

  Kevin?

  “It went too far!” The wolf spoke through it’s mind, still baring it’s teeth. “She’s not ready for that level.”

  “I needed to test her.”

  “It went too far!” Kevin snared his teeth.

  “I’m done! Get off of me!”

  Kevin climbed off and returned to his human self. “I don’t want that ever to happen again.” He walked up to me.

  I was on my knees, still feeling a bit shaky.

  “Here.” He grabbed my arm. “We’re going to take a break. We’re going to train again tomorrow. For now, let’s rest.”

  I felt his strong grip, pulling me away from Dongho and the pen. He was walking really fast to where my short legs had to jog to meet up his huge strides.

  “I’m sorry about Dongho’s actions. He can be such a pain in the sometimes.” Kevin apologized.

  “I don’t blame him. He’s trying to make me stronger. I needed it. I needed to-“

  “No you don’t!” He took a hold of my shoulders and slouched to meet my eyes. “You can’t trust Dongho. He knows how to deceive you. That’s what illusionist do. They deceive people. You can’t trust him.”

  “Then what about you?” What was with that wolf? Was that an illusion or something else?

  He lowered his gaze as his grip turned light. “I’m a shape shifter."