Headache

Stuck in Neverland

  I believe people are crazy enough to still like the same person when you know that person's love is fake. They only do this for their pleasure, but who could blame them? Everyone wants to experience love once in a life time. It may cause pain and suffering, but it could also make you stronger.

  That is what's happening right now. It isn't me. No. I am not dumb enough to fall for that same person, but my dearest friend is.

  Ha! Did you actually believe that? This story isn't about love and how painful it is. There may be hints, but that's not what the story's about. It's about Neverland. And no, it's not the one about Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, Wendy, and Captain Hook, but something much darker. Something more dangerous than a ticking crocodile.

  It all started during school. I don't know how, but people were obsessing over Neverland just because a new book came out about it. It was modified for teenagers, but I didn't really care. I was just bothered because my friends kept talking about how good it was and I should read it. Yeah right! I like writing! I'm not a big reader unless it's super interesting. Don't get me wrong, that story sounds interesting, but a bit cliche and lovey dovey. Sure I read romance and know the feeling of being loved, but some books make it unrealistic.

  "Tonight we're going to have a party. Want to come?" My friend, Hyemi, asked. She was a partier and a crazy one at that! She loved dying her hair in odd colors. Teachers would get angry at her whenever she would pick a color out of dress code. Right now, she has orange hair with green contacts to match.

  "It's going to be fun." Rima added to convince me. She was the calmest out of all of us. She wasn't much of a partier, but she tags along once in a while if she's not studying or doing her homework. Rima doesn't dye her hair either. It's been natural this whole time: wavy, brunette hair, and hazel eyes.

  I debated. Parties? I'm not really interested. It doesn't sound that fun, but whatever, I'll go. "Where's it at?"

  "Hoon's place. I'll pick you up if you want me to." Hyemi explained. Of course she would get invited. She was widely popular unlike Rima and me, who are outcasts from those type of people.

  Hoon. That's the guy I like right now. He's nice, smart, and hot! My type of guy, but the only problem is, one, he's popular, and two, he has a girlfriend. Tragic right? I tried forgetting about him, but every time I see him, my heart screams in pain and I tend to think about him. Not tonight, I have to forget about him tonight and act like I don't know him.

  "So you're going?" Hyemi asked, breaking my train of thought.

  "Yeah. I am."

  She grinned. "Good! Make sure you wear something nicer than what you usually wear." Here comes the fashion queen. "The things you wear doesn't suit the party." She indicated my choice of clothing today which were some sweats and a regular T. I was lazy, and this was the first thing I found in my closet!

  "I'm not going to wear this, I promise."

  "You better not," she snorted. Sometimes she can get a bit annoying but opposites attract. I guess that's why Rima and I are friends with her since the start of high school.

  At that moment, the bell to end lunch rang. I gathered my stuff and head out the door. "I'll see you guys tonight at my house," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulder.

  "See you!" Hyemi exclaimed, turning in the opposite direction of me.

  "Bye, Hyori," Rima said with a slight smile and followed Hyemi.

  I headed to class and waited till the end of the day.

  When I came home, I found a note on the refrigerator. I tore it off and read it,

  Sweetie, I'm sorry I won't be home for dinner. Something came up and I won't be home until after midnight. Call me once you read this.

Love,

               Umma

  I rolled my eyes. Figures. She must be with her new boyfriend because I know for a fact, Umma's work doesn't get busy and there's rarely any emergency calls. I crumpled up the note and threw it in the trash. I took out my cell phone and dialed her number.

  It didn't take long for her to answer. "Yeobosehyo?" It sounded like she was laughing earlier. She sounded too happy.

  "Umma?"

  "Oh, Hyori, Sweetie. You're home? Have you read my note?"

  "Ne."

  "We have leftovers in the fridge."

  "I know, but I'm going to a party. Is that okay?"

  There was a long pause on the other end.

  "Hello? Umma?" I thought she had hung up on me.

  "I'm right here," she answered, "That's fine. You can go." She said it so bluntly, it sounded like she didn't care.

  That hurt me. Sometimes I wished she could at least sound like she cared. Shouldn't a mom be like that?

  I managed a weak smile. "Thank you."

  "Is there anything else?" This time she sounded impatient.

  I didn't want to bother her. "Aniyo. That's all. Bye, Umma. I love you."

  She giggled, but it didn't sound like it was for me. "Bye, Sweetie. I'll see you tomorrow." With that, she hangs up.

  "Bye," I said quietly and hung up myself. Well, time to change. What should I wear?

  At seven, I heard my doorbell ring. It must be Hyemi and Rima. I headed downstairs, wearing one of my best clothing: a white tank top with a varsity jacket and black jeans.

  "Hey!" Hyemi exclaimed the moment I opened the door. She examined me and gave a satisfying nod. "Good. You're wearing something nice, but don't you think that's a bit too mainstream?"

  Hyemi... "Whatever! You should be happy that I wore this rather than sweats! Let's go!" I shoved her out.

  "Okay! Okay!" She walked herself.

  I entered the car and found Rima in the passenger seat, wearing a pink dress and hair tied in a bun.

  "You look nice." I commented.

  "Thanks," she said nervously. She 's a bit jittery. Why?

  "What's wrong?"

  "Oh nothing."

  I shivered. Have it her way, then. I stared out the window and watched as we drove out of my driveway to Hoon's house. I knew when we were getting near. Music was being blared to the max, lights were going on and off by immature students, and cars were parked all around the streets. Of course this place would be filled. Hoon lives in a nice condo with his own pool and everything. It could fit hundreds of people. I don't think it's filled at all just yet.

  It was difficult to find a place to park, but we managed to find one. It was pretty far, but we needed the exercise.

  I was nervous like Rima, but it wasn't as bad as her. I hope I won't see Hoon, but he's the one hosting it. Of course I'll see him once in a while.

  We entered the condo and at that moment, Hyemi walked off to talk to some of her other friends. It was just Rima and me now.

  Rima's eyes wandered and stayed in one place. Before I could see what she was staring at, she turned to me and said, "I'll be back. I'm going to the bathroom."

  "Okay." So now it's just me.

  "Hyori. It's good to see you," a voice said behind me.

  I turned and jumped. "Oh, Hoon-ah!" So much for not seeing him... "What are you doing here?" Babo! He lives here! What am I saying?

  He chuckled. "I'm the host. I have to be here."

 I laughed nervously. I can't believe I asked that. "Uhm." I don't want to be here. I don't want to see his face and feel my heart beat for him again. No, I don't like him. "I got to go." I didn't wait for him and blend in with the dancing crowd. This was the wrong place to escape to because now I'm getting shoved all over! I need space people!

  I tried getting out, but only end up drowning in this wave. Something knocked in my brain, but I ignored it. It continued, giving me a headache. The world began to spin around me and I was getting dizzy. What's wrong with me?

  Just when I was about to collapse, I heard a familiar voice calling my name. It was Hyemi. "Hyori, are you alright?"

  I nodded. "I'm fine. I'm going to sit down." I managed to get out of the crowd this time and sat on the nearest chair. My head was killing me! 

  "What's wrong?" A voice echoeed in my throbbing head.

  I looked up to see Rima staring intently at me. She no longer was nervous, but serious. "I'm fine." I repeat. I just need to rest." I stood, but that made things worse. My knees gave in, causing me to fall back on the chair.

  Rima had no reaction and remained serious. "You really should take care of yourself. I'm going to dance. Please don't do anything stupid."

  I watched her go through the throng of people. Don't do anything stupid? Since when have I done something stupid? "Where did this headache come from?" I grumbled to myself. I wanted to go home. I felt like if I stay here, things would get worse. It's just a feeling, but sometimes feelings could be a warning.

  I stood, feeling a rush ran through my brain. The music blared in my ear and my vision blurred for a moment. I needed some air and maybe I'll feel better.

  I escaped from the house, the loud music, and most of all, the people. I walked around the neighborhood, ignoring the fact I could get lost. I have my cell phone and I'm pretty sure someone will call if they're looking for me.

  My headache was disappearing and I started to feel better. Should I go back? No. I hated crowded places and the stars were beautiful tonight. It was freezing cold, but I continued to walk. Look what I've found. Orion. I smiled. This was my constellation because when I was in middle school walking to school, I would always spot those same stars if it's not cloudy day or too bright.

  I continued to watch the stars and not my feet. On my next step, I felt nothing, but air and fell through. "Ah!" I screamed as a sudden gust of air blew onto me. I'm falling! My hands and legs made an X as if I was a flying squirrel.

  Where was the end to this?

  I continued to fall in this endless hole. There were no walls around me, but deep shadows. I looked down, but again, there were only shadows.

  I began to panic. In this height and speed, I'm going to die! There's no doubt about it! Oh how I wished my life was longer! There's so much I wanted to do in my life. Who the hell built a damn hole in the middle of the streets anyway? What's the point in causing people to fall in?

  With those thoughts in my mind, I closed my eyes, wanting to dream before I die. I'll miss everyone, but who will miss me? Certainly not my Umma. She has wanted to get rid of me ever since she had me. She may never said it, but I can tell from her actions and eyes when she looks at me; those grey eyes that only showed deception. The only ones I know who will care are my friends. We've done so many things together and nothing will be the same without them.

  As my mind began to drift, I was getting sleepy. I was going to black out. Good. At least I won't feel the fall when I hit the ground.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

  Sorry if you think this chapter was boring, but this is the introduction. Dongho, Kevin, Eli, Kiseop, and AJ will show up in the next chapter, so be patient.  Enjoy reading in the later chapters!