kyungsoo's summer romance

penguins

For kyungsoo, the waterpark represented everything he hated about the world. People, shirtless and sweaty.  People, dressed in too-bright colors. People, screaming and splashing each other with no regard for personal space/hygiene. Actually, just…people in general.

And yet here he was, sitting under a gigantic black umbrella in his favorite summer outfit–a black t shirt paired with black sweatpants, black socks and black sneakers. He’d even managed to find a black beach towel to complete the muted summer ensemble, drawing a disbelieving groan from baekhyun when he’d pulled it out of his (black) beach bag. 

“Why do I feel like you’re doing this just to annoy me?”

Baekhyun shouldn’t be complaining.  It was entirely his fault that Kyungsoo was out here, away from the comfort of the air conditioned store. Ever since the waterpark’s summer season had started, he and chanyeol insisted on dragging kyungsoo to the main pool every afternoon, in an attempt to cure Kyungsoo of his “fun phobia.”  Kyungsoo had tried explaining to them that it wasn’t so much a fun phobia but more of a “people-like-you” phobia.  But then, Baekhyun had pulled out the video he’d recorded on his phone of Kyungsoo’s drunken rendition of I Will Survive a few weeks ago during the employee open mic night, and, well,

it wasn’t that Kyungsoo was ashamed of his (spectacular) vocal range, but he tended to get a bit expressive when he got drunk…and his dancing was not quite something he wanted immortalized on anyone’s phone–especially not Baekyun’s. 

 ~~~

“Kyungsoo, I’m hungry.”

“.” Kyungsoo barely looked up from his book.

A huff. “Kyungsoo….Since you’re not doing anything remotely interesting right now….or ever…can you get me a hot dog?”

“I’m reading.”  

“What about me?  Come on? Pleeease?”  Chanyeol pulled himself ungracefully out of the pool and draped himself over Kyungsoo, who yelled at the unwelcome contact.

“You idiot!  You’re getting me wet!  My book–”

“Please please please please please–”

“Get off of me!”

“pleasepleasepleaseplease–”

“Ugh, fine!”  Kyungsoo shoved a dripping Chanyeol off of him and stomped off in the direction of the food stand.  Chanyeol cheered.

“Hey, get me one too!” Baekhyun called.  "Extra mustard!“ 

Kyungsoo hoped that he would encounter the nice hot dog vendor today, and not the teenage brat that liked to make snide remarks about Kyungsoo’s poolside fashion choices. He wasn’t in luck.

“How may I help you…” the young man behind the counter pulled down his Gucci sunglasses and wrinkled his nose.  "oh.“

Kyungsoo did not dignify him with a response.  Instead, he pointed at the menu and held up two fingers, before returning to his book.

A minute later, Tao handed him two limp hot dogs, which Kyungsoo decorated with the appropriate condiments.  He carried the food in one hand, his book in the other as he continued to read.  With his peripheral vision, he made his way back to the crowded, headache-inducing pool, where Chanyeol and Baekhyun were eagerly waiting.  Kyungsoo flipped a page with his thumb and forefinger, and groaned when the soggy page ripped easily.

“Chanyeol, you owe me a new book,” he grumbled.

"Soo, watch out!" 

Too late.

Kyungsoo saw his entire life flash before his eyes (or maybe it was just his astigmatism acting up) as his tennis shoes slid on the slippery tiles. He felt the hot dogs and book fly out of his hands, his body lurch forward–

“AAHH!!”

–and the cold, painful slap of water. Like that, Kyungsoo was out cold. The hot dogs became cold dogs.

"Kyungsoo!”

“…My hot dog!”

 ~~~

“Hello?  Hello? Hey, are you all right?”

“KYUNGSOO ARE YOU DEAD?”

“Give him space!”

“Can you hear me?”

“mmrddgff…” Kyungsoo moaned, before his body was wracked by coughs.  His nasal tract felt like it was burning.  His eyes stung with dirty pool water, which he could taste in his mouth.  Gross.  

A comforting hand rubbed his back, as Kyungsoo coughed/sneezed/expelled out an appetizing mix of water and spit and mucus.

“Does it hurt anywhere?” The voice was equally soft and soothing.

“No,” Kyungsoo replied, even though his face//stomach/everywhere stung.  He finally opened his eyes, and felt his throat constrict almost immediately.

Kyungsoo must be hallucinating, because the figure above him looked like it had emerged straight out of a movie.  The dark hair was lit up by the setting sun behind.  The attached torso was shirtless.   And one of the adjoining arms was currently holding Kyungsoo in a secure embrace.  Through blurry vision, Kyungsoo watched as rivulets of water made it down the guys neck, chest, and glowing abs…

“Damn…”

The mouth was moving.  ”..okay?  Can you see how many fingers I’m holding up? Can you hear me?“

“Uh,” kyungsoo said, before he threw up.

 ~~~

Fortunately and unfortunately, hot shirtless guy had not been an illusion.  Fortunate, because kyungsoo had not seen abs that defined since he started working at the gift shop, with all its shirtless, oddly -less surfer mannequins.  Unfortunate, because kyungsoo had thrown up on the hot guy’s abs. Twice.  Kyungsoo had fled the scene of the crime as soon as he’d emptied his stomach, but Baekhyun had managed to capture the moment on his phone camera.  

“Does he hate me?  I bet he hates me,” Kyungsoo moaned.

“Don’t worry about it, Junmyeon’s a nice guy.”

So that was his name…not that Kyungsoo cared.

“But I threw up on him!”

“Yeah, that was pretty gross,” Chanyeol said cheerfully.  "Maybe he hates you, a little.“

"Do you think I should mail him a gift card?”

In the end, Kyungsoo vowed to never to go within a 100-foot radius of the pool again. With any luck, he could pass the rest of the summer without ever having to see Mr. Six-Pack Savior again.

 ~~~

But Kyungsoo was not so lucky.  The next morning, as he flipped through his now-dried and wrinkly book, he heard the jingling of the entrance door.  Kyungsoo groaned inwardly.  The whole reason he’d signed up for the weekday early morning shifts at the overpriced giftshop was because people rarely visited then. Kyungsoo watched as a brightly colored fedora bobbed through the aisles.  This person seemed about as tall as Kyungsoo… Kyungsoo caught a glimpse of the face as it turned.

Immediately, he scrambled to the floor, hiding behind the counter.

It was the hot lifeguard he’d unloaded his lunch onto, two days ago.

He heard footsteps.  Then, “Hello?" 

Kyungsoo squeezed himself closer against the counter. Maybe if he tried hard enough, he could melt into the wood…

"Hello?” the voice was closer now…almost, directly above him?  Kyungsoo glanced up, and saw a face smiling down at him.  "Are you hiding?“

"No.”  Kyungsoo stood up and cleared his throat with as much dignity as he could.  "I dropped my pencil.“

"Oh, I see. Well, good morning!”

“…morning,” Kyungsoo said to the spot two inches above Junmyeon’s head.

“I’m Junmyeon,” Junmyeon said, revealing two rows of pearly white teeth.  "We met, last week.“ 

As if Kyungsoo could forget.  "I’m Kyungsoo.”  

“Nice to finally talk to you.”

Kyunsoo gulped. Was that a threat?  “You too.”

Junmyeon continued to smile that creepily wide, unblinking smile him.  Again, Kyungsoo was reminded of a mannequin.  For a minute they just stood like that in a strange staring contest, Kyungsoo sweating and Junmyeon smiling widely. It was a scarily effective intimidation tactic. Finally, Kyungsoo caved.

“Are you here because of the…the thing that happened?” Kyungsoo asked anxiously.  "I’m sorry for running away. Did you want to talk to my manager? Are you going to get me fired? Please don’t get me fired.  I really need this job.“

"What!? No, no!” Junmyeon’s eyes widened.  "Sorry, I just got distracted–ah, I mean–“  Junmyeon broke their staring contest to search through his pocket.  ” I just came to return this.  I think you dropped it in the pool.“  He placed a familiar black watch onto the counter.

Kyungsoo hadn’t even realized its absence on his wrist.  He didn’t even know the watch was waterproof.

"Please have a gift card,” Kyungsoo said, grabbing one of the giftcards at random off the rack by the counter.  He scanned it and handed it to Junmyeon.  "As my…um, apology.“

Junmyeon glanced down at the card.  "The Seafood Skillet?  I love that restaurant.”

“Great.”

Junmyeon the card.  "I don’t have anyone to go with, though…“

"They do takeout,” Kyungsoo reminded him.  

“Oh…right.  Well, thank you, Kyungsoo.  Even though there’s nothing to apologize for.”

Junmyeon browsed around the store for another fifteen minutes, while Kyungsoo pretended to be busy restocking items in the back, occasionally sneaking glances as junmyeon’s (very nice) backside. in the end, Junmyeon bought a pair of puppy-shaped salt and pepper shakers, several brightly colored baseball caps, and a pair of hideous bright green and blue striped sandals that had been sitting in the sales rack for over a month. 

“I’ll see you around, Kyungsoo!” Junmyeon called through the doorway.  The minute he disappeared from view, Kyungsoo dropped his head onto the counter.

Great. just great. Junmyeon’s face was as nice as his body.

 ~~~

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were incredulous when Kyungsoo followed them to the pool the next afternoon, unprompted. Kyungsoo ignored their suspicious stares as he spread his towel over the beach chair.  He opened up his giant umbrella and taped a DO NOT DISTURB sign on it.  He took out his book, settled into his seat, crossed his ankles, and began reading.  After several minutes more of staring, Baekhyun and Chanyeol eventually swam away.

At 5pm, the lifeguard switched shifts.  Kyungsoo watched out of the corner of his eye as a familiar lifeguard took the previous one’s place.

“I’m getting a little claustrophobic,” Kyungsoo announced loudly, to no one in particular.  "So I’m going to move…“  He picked up his belongings and walked a few chairs over, closer to where the lifeguard chair was.  He re-placed his umbrella, re-spread his beach towel, and settled in.

He glanced up.  Junmyeon was wiggling along in his chair to the pool music–"Touch My Body” by SEASTAR.  Kyungsoo wondered what it would be like to touch Junmyeon’s body.  During the chorus, Junmyeon glanced down at him.

Kyungsoo nearly spit out his lemonade. He swallow-choked and lowered his head back down to his romance novel.

Three pages later, as poolboy Kai exchanged ual-tension-filled words with rich brat Sehun, Kyungsoo put down the book and pretended to stretch.  His eyes slid over in the direction of the lifeguard chair…

Junmyeon was shirtless, now.  Kyungsoo forgot himself momentarily and spent a few seconds staring at the defined torso.  How did Junmyeon stay so pale in the sun…?  

Junmyeon chose that moment to suddenly start doing some stretching exercises of his own.  His muscles flexed.  Kyungsoo quickly returned to his book.  

The sun was starting to set when Kyungsoo finished the chapter.   Kai and Sehun’s had escalated with each passing day. It was almost reaching a boiling point.  Kyungsoo glanced up, in time to see Junmyeon looking back at him. They both looked away.  Kyungsoo gripped his book firmly in his hands and concentrated on the page.

Kai backed Sehun into a corner with his passionate gaze and placed a knee between his legs. Lots of dramatic words and stares were exchanged. Kai leaned in, and…

Eyes wide, Kyungsoo quickly flipped the page.

“Kyungsoo?”

Kyungsoo screamed, slamming his book shut.  He glanced up, in time to meet a pair of curved smiling eyes.  Junmyeon grinned down at him. He was still shirtless.

“Hi there.  What are you reading?”

“Nothing.” Kyungsoo didn’t mean to sound curt, but he didn’t really feel like sharing his reading choices. Not everyone was into the whole male x male poolside romance thing, after all.

“Oh.”  Junmyeon’s smile and posture slipped a little.  His gaze darted uncertainly from the floor to Kyungsoo’s face. “Um. Okay.  Well, just wanted to say hi…”

“Okay,” Kyungsoo said. “Hi…?”

“You idiot,” Baekhyun said, loudly, two chairs over.  Kyungsoo jumped; how the hell did he get there?  Baekhyun was sipping on an orange colored drink as he watched the two of them like they were part of some soap opera. “He’s trying to flirt with you.”

Kyungsoo choked again as Junmyeon turned red.

“I was just…actually, I should get back to my job–”

“Wait!” Kyungsoo cried as Junmyeon took a step away.  He hadn’t spent 4+ hours near the nasty pool just so he could say only 3 words to a potentially-flirting Junmyeon. He blurted out the first thing that came to mind.  "I like your…shoes!“

”…really?“ Baekhyun muttered into his drink.

"Really?” Junmyeon’s smile returned.  "You’re the first person to say that!“

Kyungsoo glanced down at the very familiar green-and-blue striped monstrosities on Junmyeon’s feet.  

"I really love sandals,” Junmyeon explained, mistaking Kyungsoo’s sudden silence for interest.  "They’re comfortable and allow my feet to breathe.  Perfect for the poolside!“

"Yeah,” Kyungsoo agreed, as he crossed his own black-sneakered feet.  "You know, um, if you need any more, we’re having a 30% off summer sale at the store. It only lasts until this Sunday.  If you’re interested.“

"I am interested,” Junmyeon replied.  "I’m very interested.“

"Oh.  Okay.”  Kyungsoo replied.  "We have lots of sizes.“

"I think I already know the size I want,” Junmyeon said.  Then he winked.  

Kyungsoo wondered whether he should wink back. He decided to go for it.

“This is the most painful flirting I’ve had the misfortune to witness in my entire life,” Baekhyun announced loudly to the surrounding air.  Several curious heads turned. Kyungsoo suddenly experienced an overwhelming urge to push Baekhyun and his drink into the pool…but then, Junmyeon would realize he wasn’t a nice person. 

 ~~~

The next morning, Kyungsoo woke up an hour earlier than usual to shower, wash his hair three times, and put on the cologne his mother had given him as a birthday present.  At the shop, he took out all the sandals they had from the stock room and laid them out in the front display.  He organized them by color, so that it looked kind of like a rainbow.   He then rearranged the seashell decorations to say JUNMYEON, before he caught himself and scrambled them up again.

Junmyeon came in at 8:34 am.  Kyungsoo put on his glasses and pretended to be busy writing up inventory at the counter, when really he was just scribbling random numbers into the boxes. He hoped he looked like a smart and dedicated young professional.

Junmyeon spent a few minutes admiring the sandal display, before choosing a pair.  Then, as Kyungsoo rang up his purchase, Junmyeon asked Kyungsoo whether he’d be interested in helping him use his giftcard at the Seafood Skillet later that night. Just the two of them.

 ~~~

Kyungsoo showered and washed his hair and re-cologned himself again, before leaving for the restaurant. Since this was a special occasion, he took a chance and wore his only non-black shirt: a dark brown-black one that his mother said brought out the color of his eyes.  

The food was nice.  Junmyeon also looked nice.  Over wine and seafood pasta, Junmyeon asked Kyungsoo about his hobbies, his favorite books, and his family.  Kyungsoo asked Junmyeon about his workout regimen.

After dinner, Junmyeon asked Kyungsoo whether he’d like to go for a romantic walk on the pier.  (well okay, Kyungsoo imagined the “romantic” part.) Junmyeon bought ice cream and, with a red face, offered to feed Kyungsoo some with his outstretched spoon.  

He never got to hear Kyungsoo’s response, though.  Because at that moment, a flock of seagulls decided to fly straight at them. The ice cream went flying, onto the boardwalk.  Kyungsoo took a step back to avoid the feathered creatures and slipped on the spilled mint chocolate chip glob.  And then he too went flying off the pier, into the water below.

 ~~~

“Hey,” Junmyeon asked softly in concern. He brushed Kyungsoo’s damp hair from his forehead.  "Are you okay?“

"No,” Kyungsoo coughed into Junmyeon’s now wet, see-through shirt.   “I–hate–water.”

This time, not even a wet Junmyeon could make up for the fact that Kyungsoo’s life . Kyungsoo could taste salt on his tongue and the inside of his mouth, and his nausea reflex was starting to kick in.  His heart was still pounding from the near-drowning, and the pounding grew worse as Junmyeon leaned closer and touched his cheek. They were only a few inches apart. Junmyeon looked a bit pale himself.

Don’t throw up on him, don’t throw up on him.  DON’T THROW UP–

“Kyungsoo, I…” Junmyeon took a deep breath and took the limp, wet hand.  He leaned in.  "I realize this may not be the best time, but I can’t hold my feelings in any longer–“

"M-me neither,” Kyungsoo whispered in horror, as his stomach rebelled.