fin

Ice Cream (With a Side of Annoyance)

Literally all that Yoongi wanted was some ice cream. A cold, delectable treat, maybe with some gummy worms, or peanuts, or those crushed up reese's peanut butter cups that his mother never lets him have (on the account of 'they'll rot your teeth' - which Yoongi doesn't care much of, anyway; he's a child, not a dentist), or basically whatever that he can get his hands on, at this point in his desperation.

But of course, things did not turn out this way for Min Yoongi. Of course not. He may be a bit naive, yet also a bit too clinical for his young age, but he does know that life isn't always fair - a lesson that he seems to get way too much for his liking. And this is definitely not fair, the way that this small person has been disrupting Yoongi's plans to get the ice cream that he oh so very much desired.

So there Yoongi sat, on the park bench, with his tiny sized unlaced tennis shoes barely touching the ground, his pitch black hair styled in an unkempt yet perfectly tousled bed head, his dark blue shirt falling onto his light washed jeans, and - oh, did I forget to mention that a small person was staring at him, their eyes almost bulging out of their sockets, their body being way too close in proximity with Yoongi's, invading the boy's personal space? Yeah, that is what was happening at this particular moment.

And Yoongi hated it. This kid was younger than Yoongi himself, that much was obvious with the height difference (not that Yoongi is that tall or anything, but come on, give him some credit, at least), and with the way that the kid was still missing some teeth from the front of his smile (that he shot at Yoongi as he sat down across from him on the bench. Seriously, okay, come on; Yoongi just wanted some ice cream. How difficult was it to get one simple thing that he wanted? Very, from what he can tell).

 

Should Yoongi ask the kid why he's staring at him? Should Yoongi just avoid the his gaze until the kid gets bored, and just ends up walking away from him? Yes, that is what Yoongi would do. He would avoid him, wait for the kid to get bored, and then the kid would leave. The plan was fool proof, Yoongi was sure of it.

Well okay, maybe not. Because then the kid is suddenly in Yoongi's face, bounding up to him, sitting right next to him on the park bench in a blink of an eye. Who even moves that fast? Yoongi could've sworn he was at least a couple of feet away from the other just a few moments ago, and now there's barely an inch between the two of them. And Yoongi needs to breathe, because seriously, what even? He's had some odd things happen to him in his short eight years of life, and being friends with the boisterous and unpredictable Taehyung, Seokjin, Hoseok and Namjoon didn't exactly help with this, but with the way that the kid is staring at him, Yoongi's starting to think that - well, Yoongi doesn't really know what to think about this this odd specimen of a small human being.

So obviously Yoongi's second plan didn't work out so well. He tried, he really did. But now all that's left to do is ask the kid why he's staring at Yoongi, and if he can direct his presence elsewhere because come on, ice cream. Yoongi finds this a complete reason to not want to interact with the other, and he will use the excuse as much as possible.

But when Yoongi opens his mouth to speak, the kid beats him to it, his soft voice butting in the second that the words are ready to tumble out of Yoongi's mouth.

"Hyung! What's your name?" With this question the kid smiles again, his eyes lifting into small crescents on his face, and Yoongi wants to scream.

(The kid is undeniably cute. He's got this floppy pile of dark hair centered neatly on the top of his head, his black shirt tucked into his jeans, his trainers laced onto his feet perfectly fitting, his little button nose seemingly topped off with a few freckles here and there. And did I mention the whole eye crescent thing happening when he smiles? Yoongi takes one look at this, decides that the other is not to be trusted, and that he needs to get as far away from him as possible.)

"Yoongi."

The name seems to leave his lips without his meaning to, and Yoongi curses himself. He could've just not responded, the kid would've gone away. Yoongi could've ate his ice cream in silence, perfect solitude, without this kid's unneeded questions following after him. But alas, Yoongi had to be an idiot and actually introduce himself to the other - nice going there Yoongi, you should applaud yourself.

The kid's face lights up, and his smile gets wider, his eye crescents lifting even further up on his face. Is that even possible? Yoongi highly doubted this it is. Yet there it was, in the flesh. Huh. Well then. Looks like Yoongi was wrong, once again.

"My name's Jimin. Park Jimin. Just moved here from Busan," the kid (now known as Jimin, Yoongi mentally corrects himself), then proceeds to explain his life story to Yoongi, something that he is not amused nor interested in. Yoongi tended to tune Jimin out, just getting little snippets here and there of the boy's endless rambling; the name Jungkook pops up, the fact that Jimin's favorite color is blue (light blue, to be exact), that he has a younger brother, that Jimin's birthday is October 13th, 1995, making him two years younger than Yoongi himself - just little facts here and there that Yoongi collects in his already full of thought mind.

(Not that Yoongi cares about anything that Jimin is telling him. He has better things to do than entertain the younger boy, maybe something pertaining to getting that ice cream that he was here for in the first place. Speaking of that, where's the ice cream truck? Yoongi could've sworn that it was supposed to be there at least ten minutes ago. He scruffs his tennis shoe on the ground, letting pebbles and dirt collect on the sole of the shoe - something that his mom will not be very happy with when he makes his way across the street back to his house in a few minutes. Or even sooner, if this Jimin boy doesn't stop talking).

"-and I want to be your friend, Yoongi hyung!"

That's the last thing that Jimin says that associates itself in Yoongi's brain, causing him to stop and turn towards the other. He notices the hopeful look on Jimin's face, and internally groans.

Can't Yoongi catch a break?

(No, is Yoongi's initial reaction. Come on, he's eight - not six anymore, not a child, so he shouldn't be friends with a child. That, and Jimin is annoying. No, they definitely would not be friends, Yoongi could assure you of this).

But with the way that Jimin is staring at Yoongi, that still ever so hopeful look on his face, his big eyes bulging out, pout lacing his lips - Yoongi has an internal conflict. The kid looks like his eternal happiness is weighted down on Yoongi's answer, and that if Yoongi denies, Jimin will be sad and lonely for the rest of his life. And Yoongi knows that this is ridiculous, Jimin will probably forget about it in a few days if Yoongi does say no, but like. Something about this kid makes Yoongi want to talk to him, oddly enough. Not that Yoongi will actually admit that out loud, but the thought is still there.

A cheerful tune is heard, suddenly barging into the panic that Yoongi has been in. He bounces up off of the bench, leaving Jimin wounded, seemingly terrified of the thought of his hyung leaving him as he trails right behind him, pout still in place.

Yoongi orders his ice cream quickly, thankful to see the colorful truck in front of him. He looks happily at the vanilla flavored treat (clad with peanuts, gummy worms, and the crushed up reese's butter cups, because with the day that he's been having, he needs the extra boost - rotten teeth be danged, he'll deal with that later).

Now, back onto Jimin. The boy is still looking at Yoongi, awaiting an answer to his unneeded question, and Yoongi still wants to scream.

(But he's got his ice cream now, so he's okay. Mission accomplished).

"Fine. I'll be your friend."

The way that Jimin lights up is too much to be described by Yoongi's eight year old mind. The younger boy simply radiates, smiling at Yoongi like the older had just answered all of life's questions, his eyes gleaming with happiness, and suddenly he is in Yoongi's personal space again, making Yoongi's mind go from 'awe' to 'please no, personal space is a thing, and you're invading mine'.

Jimin latches himself onto Yoongi, throwing his short little arms around the older, and pressing his face into Yoongi's side.

Yoongi blanches at this, his ice cream nearly falling from his hand at Jimin's sudden movement, his eyes going wide at the feeling of having someone else unexpectedly touching him.

"Um," Yoongi mumbles, staring over at Jimin.

"Yoongi hyung! Thank you so much! Now we'll be friends, and you can show me around, and we can - "

And there's the rambling again. Okay, so maybe this friendship will be nothing but an endless string of words from the younger, but Yoongi has committed himself to Jimin now, he can't jut simply leave.

(Yoongi can't fully decide whether that's a good thing or not. Give him a couple of weeks and he may have a completely different answer for you).

Soon enough the ice cream is gone, and Jimin has unlatched himself from Yoongi's body. Thankfully, because Yoongi's arm was seriously getting numb. He also felt a sudden surge of his heart when Jimin was laced around him, and then felt a sudden dull ache when Jimin pulled away from him, but Yoongi refuses these feelings, and plays dumb on what this could possibly mean.

(Not that he liked Jimin's touch, no, that's definitely not what the quickening and then dulling of his heart beat said at all. That simply would not be a thing. Could not be a thing.)

Moving on.

Yoongi gets up to put his now ice cream less bowl in the trash can by the tree, and surely enough, when he turns back around he is met with Jimin, who is literally about 1.348 inches from Yoongi's face. The older stops quickly, careful not to crash into the younger, and heaves out a sigh.

Can't the other just leave him alone for a moment? Yoongi gets that he agreed to be friends with him, but really, this was a bit much.

"Can I hang out with you for the rest of the day, hyung? Please?" Annnd the pout look is there again. Of course it is.

Yoongi simply cannot deny that look. It would be a losing effort even if he tried to. So he agreed, watching Jimin's face go from pouty to happy in the blink of an eye. This friendship is going to a take toll on Yoongi, he can already tell, even just twenty minutes in.

And with that Jimin follows Yoongi around until he has to go home, something that Yoongi finds he doesn't want as much as he did when he first met the other. Their adventure for the day included the both of them going back to Yoongi's house (where Jimin 'accidentally' slams Yoongi's hand into a door when he went to hastily close it, resulting in Yoongi being mad at Jimin for a moment before he realized that the younger was near to tears - something that Yoongi could not have at all. This friendship was turning Yoongi into a softy, second by second, he swore by it).

They also played video games, where Yoongi found out that Jimin was admittedly really bad at them, no matter what the game. They played hide and seek, something that Yoongi would absolutely deny playing if asked about it - he's eight, not four. It was actually pretty decent though, with the way that Jimin's happy laughter followed shortly after Yoongi finding him.

Thus a beautiful friendship was born. Yoongi and Jimin found out that the house that Jimin's family was moving into was right down the street, exactly five houses down from Yoongi's.

When Jimin left Yoongi's house, he brought Yoongi into a hug again, something that Yoongi didn't mind as much as he did when Jimin had done practically the same thing just a couple of hours prior.

"Thank you again for agreeing to be my friend, hyung. We'll hang out tomorrow, right?"

Yoongi agrees, an immediate reaction that he found he didn't regret just moments after.

Jimin is soon gone, leaving with a smile gracing his face, eyes pulled up into those crescent moons.

Yoongi simply cannot wait for tomorrow.

~~

A/N: *Cross posted on Wattpad and Archiveofourown* 

So... This had to be a thing that existed. A yoonmin ice cream kid!fic, because I am BTS and yoonmin trash, aaand this is what resulted from that. And literally how do you end?? I still don't know. But let me know what you think of this complete mess of words, and if you liked it or not. Thanks!